Reviews by Bingostep

Grimoire by Anatole Lebreton

It is not just a scent.
Grimoire tells you many stories ...

Very spiritual incense and yet human (beware: almost body/animal odors).

You leaf through an old spell book with fever, in a Benedictine monastery, near the garden.

You ARE a cathedral.

It is a very, intelligent, rich and uncommon perfume - like all Anatole Lebreton's.

Some notes of Grimoire reminds me of my so beloved Ebène (Balmain).
23rd November, 2017 (last edited: 28th January, 2018)

No. 19 by Chanel

Very sexy Male fragrance ....
04th September, 2017

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

I like this one very much.

The opening is a very strong predominant Citrus. It's quasi-artificial, like the one you could smell on hot towels in an asiatic retaurant ... or in airplanes!
But the guy is not that simple. It's a Cologne with a musk base (not herbal). The strong lime decreases quite fast and makes place for the other components.

Allure Sport Cologne is really very easy to wear: of course in summer, but I've tried it anywhere, anyhow, anyseason .... it is always wearable.
The projection is discrete, but poeple really often like it and ask me what it is! Sillage is mild and longevity poor.
But you can still find something interesting on your clothes the day after.

I use it as an "innocent" smell when I don't know what to wear, or when I need something light. It also has really something exciting: it's a joy for me when I spray it on me.

I am not expert enough to guess the direct relation with the original "Allure" - it's a double-flanker after all.
In my opinion, Chanel could have released this as an independent scent and called it "Eau légère" or "Eau d'été", or "Cologne Sport" after all but without any reference to Allure.

This Chanel is my everyday nice friend.

As a remark, I would mention that I once had a big bottle, and found that the lime was not really fresh - almost like curry - (maybe a batch problem). I always buy small ones.
26th June, 2016

La Colle Noire by Christian Dior

Much more feminine than shared in my opinion.

It is almost a whole Rose one. Beautiful Rose (girly) on Musk (that is what I smell the most).

VERY linear - the smell didn't change at all on me (or the paper) for a few hours.

Nice (excellent materials), but I don't find it amazing (quite boring).
I find Gris Montaigne (even if it is a little too sweet) or Oud Ispahan (even if I really can't stand oud anymore ...) more interesting.
23rd June, 2016 (last edited: 26th June, 2016)

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

The first time I met Eau Noire (2004) I immediately and almost only smelt the Licorice and thought it was strange in an Eau de Cologne... it left me an impression of something very dark.

Actually when I use it on me - I bought it a few months ago - I smell the Lavender a lot +++. I don't really like Lavender, because you often smell bad quality of it, or synthetic - this latter even is a trigger for asthma attack to me!! - and it reminds me of an old man who just left the barber, or an old woman folding laundry.
In Eau Noire, the Lavender is really strong - like in an old man's Eau de Cologne - but excellent, like the one you can smell in Provence when the sun is burning your nose. It is combined with Sage, Thyme and also Curry herb. So the opening is like a French dish... so it IS very French (Iread the opposite somewhere).

Then you can smell the Vanilla and the Licorice - I don't smell very much the Cedar - and that's what stays on your skin for a few hours. It is not too sweet.
The overall scent is very masculine, quite classical and elegant. It can also remind you of pencil shavings!

The projection and the sillage are not that loud - less that what you could expect after the opening - and the scent remains on your skin for a few hours.

Despite all the components, Eau Noire is really comfortable to wear and is a good friend.
18th June, 2016 (last edited: 26th June, 2016)

Boy Chanel by Chanel

I have just tried Boy Chanel on my skin.
I really don't know yet what to think about it ....

The opening is very strange and confusing to me - dust, mist, used towels (but not that bad!). But it changes very quickly to something woody-vanilla. The vanilla is not to predominant and the woody trends to patchouli even if I don't think it is patchouli.
Then a discrete rose araises, but I smell the geranium more and more – I don't like. The towels turned to be flannel. Somewhere, you can smell old papers, or like old books ... you are in an old library where a classy old lady was before you…
Then come the musk and heliotropin, but still with geranium. It oscillates between flowers and wood-musk-vanilla. It is really not clear enough to me, but I think it's just the point (between men and women).
At the end remains something very beautiful and well balanced, like in Chanel’s « Pour Monsieur EDP » or Dior’s « Eau Sauvage Parfum », but less warm and pronounced (all gone after 6 hours). Surprinsingly, I can smell the Rose.

Projection is poor and the sillage very discrete … not worse than N°18, but we would expect more with this kind of smell. I am not convinced – maybe it's my skin – but I will sure test it again : I'm sure I will appreciate it better next time. I remember my first contact with N°18 was horrible and I loved this masterpiece later.
17th May, 2016 (last edited: 20th May, 2016)

Gris Montaigne by Christian Dior

In my opinion, not only feminine ...

It has something very sweet "à la mode" (there is strawberry), but not only - there are the rose, the bergamote and it's spicy - for me it's very addictive and very sophisticated.
It reminds me of something luxurious in the winter (with lot of snow).
After all this, something masculine remains ... sweet and spicy (sexy).

I first tested it on a paper, that I left between two pages of my Debussy scores. It still smells more than one year after ! It's amazing. I've never seen that.

On me it's VERY long lasting (>24h on skin and several days on clothes) and I have to be careful not to put to much, because of the sillage.

Something very unique.