Reviews by kevinm

Fougère Gothique by Barrister and Mann

This is the only neutral rating I've ever given. Very strong with a beautiful amber note, but looking at the notes I think it's the mushroom note that I find off-putting. Worth a try.
19th February, 2020

Just Right for a Tuesday by Barrister and Mann

As usual, I don't get the listed notes-- what I do get is one of the most unique scents of all time. I get a huge blast of what smells like freshly cut grass- grass, and more grass. This is extremely fresh, like a perfect spring day. Barrister and Mann is making some truly fascinating frags today, and I plan on trying all I can find.
19th February, 2020

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

This is one of the frags that I bought, but didn't like enough to keep using-- I just dug it out of storage and I'm using it again. I mainly get a root beer/ sassafras note, which is pleasant enough- but worth it? Not sure.
17th February, 2020

L'Origan by Coty

This is for the vintage cologne spray... Very good, spicy orange floral scent-- light in presentation, but I use it several times a day. Reminds me of a light version of Karl Lagerfeld Classic. A real value for what I paid online.
31st December, 2019

Tamarindo by Memo

One of my faves by Memo.... Very fresh and natural smelling, with a brilliant citrus/floral note. I'll be keeping this stocked as samples.
29th December, 2019

Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her by Burberry

Almost smells pretty good at first, but gets really cheap really fast- ending up smelling like the hard candies grandma would leave in a dish till they all melted together..... becomes nauseating after 15 minutes. Strictly for eight year old girls.
16th December, 2019

Eau de Memo by Memo

I'm a big fan of this house and really love Eau de Memo. This is a beautiful airy aquatic citrus floral that fits into a traditional Eau de Cologne scent style- very vibrant and lush.
16th December, 2019

Sole di Positano by Tom Ford

So far my fave from Tom Ford. This perfectly balances a fresh citrus opening with a white floral background. Very complex and expensive smelling.
18th November, 2019

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

One of the very first scents I tried back in the 80s, I thought it truly wonderful-- any scent memory I have is 30 years old now, but the modern version does not smell like the vintage stuff ( I think much less rosemary?). The modern version smells good and citrus fresh, just not unique anymore.
07th October, 2019

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

A true classic! Every gentleman should have this scent. I really don't get leather or lemon, but I always thought this was a vanilla-sandalwood frag with spice notes. One of my faves.
07th October, 2019

Anonimo Veneziano by Nobile 1942

One of the best of the Nobile 1942 range-- floral and white musk is mostly what I get. Very similar to Lady Stetson, but much more expensive smelling. Very femme, more than I actually like to wear, being a 51 year old man, but I won't quibble with quality. Very good.
19th August, 2019

Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme

I'm not a big floral scent lover, mostly because most florals don't smell at all good- but I love a great representation of florals. This has the best jasmine note I've tried so far, and the backing of a almond paste note is genius. There is also a fantastic "fresh" note that comes out over time. I'm a 51 yo guy and I would wear this anytime. Very good.
17th August, 2019 (last edited: 07th September, 2019)

Balsamo della Mecca/ Mecca Balsam by La Via del Profumo

I absolutely love this stuff! I get a very strong smoky note that fades quickly-- followed by what smells like a superconcentrate of cinnamon and brown sugar dusted graham crackers. Lasts a long while. I love the small spray bottle I got, perfect to carry in my pocket and use every 15 minutes as I can't get enough of this.
01st July, 2019

Café Chantant by Nobile 1942

Another truly great scent by this house-- smells like a Starbucks in Heaven, with it's coffee and pastry vibe. I can't imagine anyone not liking this, and a full bottle is my very next purchase.
22nd June, 2019

Escale à Parati by Christian Dior

This is a very good Eau de Cologne type scent with some very good citrus followed by a unique (so far) note that smells slightly herbal. Just slightly on the light side for me- but a great summer scent that I'll be wearing a lot. For the first time, I really like the bottle- most are either boring or way over the top. Very cool!
04th June, 2019

Dune pour Homme by Christian Dior

This one is difficult to describe-- I do like it, but it gets lost with all the other frags that I love more.
This gets high marks for smelling natural and not "cheap" like most other aquatics. I actually get a lot of hay in this one, even though not listed. It's a very good beach scent, and I think it deserves more attention.
04th June, 2019

Fève Délicieuse by Christian Dior

I just love this one! It has a lot of similarities with Guerlain Habit Rouge Dress Code, but with less hazelnuts. Beautiful spicy gourmand notes envelop the wearer. A compliment getter for sure.
28th May, 2019

Belle de Jour by Christian Dior

Belle de Jour is one of my two faves in this line-- just exuberantly fresh floral/fruity with the best pear note of all time. This is one of my must haves, and another example of how the best frags aren't masculine or feminine, they just smell great.
28th May, 2019

Ilha do Mel by Memo

Why call this Island of Honey, when it's the most precise floral I've ever tried? I've never smelled a more perfect hyacinth scent in my life- just like putting a bouquet of flowers under my nose. Perfect.

Granada by Memo

Before checking this listing, I would have called Granada an old fashioned unisex eau de cologne type scent, with a restrained, classical structure. A perfect work scent that just smells good.

Marfa by Memo

I've tried nearly every scent by Memo, and this is the only one I truly hate. Marfa is a white floral so blindingly potent that it should fall under the Chemical Weapons Ban in the Geneva Conventions. Just smelling the applied area made my nose hairs curl. As far as what it's trying to smell like, an infinitely better version is Fior di Riso by Farmacia Annunziata dal 1561- a soft powdery white floral that smells truly wonderful. Avoid this one.

Peacock Throne by Thameen

I'm really getting into this house-- very expensive but worth every penny. This scent needs many applications to fully come to realize how good it is.
Actually opens like a peacocks tail, fanning out in many ways. Just smelling the opened vial prompts an outburst of "Wow!". I'd say I was going broke buying all these great scents, but I already have!
21st April, 2019

The Cora by Thameen

I think that this is what heaven would smell like.
This is simply the best floral frag I've ever tried-
Smells like a breeze through a field of tropical flowers of every type. This is a great unisex scent, great for a lady but even better for the dandy in your life. Too beautiful to even fully describe.
21st April, 2019

Muschio Nobile by Nobile 1942

Normally, the one thing in perfumes that I hate are musks- I didn't even know musk was in this till I looked it up. I think the truly great scents are ones that don't seem to have a lot of different notes, but smell like one complete thing. I can't even begin to describe this except as what emotions I feel while wearing this-- I feel happy! There it is-- a happy, joy filled thing, with slightly sweet- slightly powdery notes.
14th April, 2019

1001 by Nobile 1942

I'm becoming very fond of this house... Even the scents I don't care for still smell very good- and I really love a few. I really love 1001, with it's spice and rose notes. I normally don't care for rose in a scent, but only because few do it well. My only quibble is how hard it is to get samples and smaller bottles-- a truly great house should release every scent as samples to gain a bigger following, and these guys don't seem to even sell at all through their own website.
14th April, 2019

Fiore di Riso by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

This house is one of the best I've found-- everything I've tried has a richness and complexity I normally don't find anywhere else. This one is very creamy/powdery with a fascinating rice paper floral note- doesn't smell like anything I've tried before. I would likely call this a feminine frag, but I love it and wear it all the time.
02nd April, 2019

Eau de Cashmere by Guerlain

Simply fantastic! I get so many different notes that it becomes impossible to categorize as this or that....
Really does smell like cashmere feels- soft and comforting. I contacted Guerlain to ask for more products based on this scent-- I would buy them all.
01st April, 2019

Monsieur Balmain (original) by Pierre Balmain

I think this is one of the best fresh citrus frags I've tried. On the very first smell, I did get a hint of lemon pledge, but after that I truly loved it. I get a very nice ginger note along with lemon zest. I haven't tried the new formula, but I can't imagine it being better. This is a must have for citrus fans.
01st April, 2019

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

This was the first Heeley frag I've tried and definitely made me want to try others. Other times that I tried a spray, I didn't seem to get much leather, but trying this now for the fifth time the leather and suede notes are really there- they don't project as much as the grassy hay notes though. One of the more complex frags I've tried without that complexity making it difficult to enjoy. I'ts the first truly nice spring day here in california, and this frag is simply perfect for this weather. A real winner!
15th March, 2019

Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement's by Heeley

At first spray, this smells like a typical EDC type frag, fresh citrus but not much more-- five minutes later I start to get a lovely "fresh" note that keeps going-- likely the tea notes. I would get a full bottle if I didn't already have several Eau de Cologne frags that are just as good. Great summer scent.
15th March, 2019