Reviews by kevinm

Crabtree & Evelyn for Men by Crabtree & Evelyn

When I first started driving in the '80s I used to go to a local mall (remember those?) that had a Crabtree and Evelyn shop. I remember several scents, but I wasn't into colognes back then, so I never got more of this till just this year. Along with Sienna, this is one of the all time best. I always thought it had tons of rosemary, but it's not listed in the notes. This really is a tremendous masculine scent, and others will notice for sure.
03rd December, 2018

PS by Paul Sebastian

This is the only Paul Sebastian product I've tried, and I'm very fond of it. I thought without looking it up that it must have been made in the late seventies- it just has that vibe. I get a very nice barbershop/oriental scent, similar to Stetson. Nothing seems out of place, and I don't get any chemical notes, just a warm comforting feel. I'll check out anything else by PS that I can find.
18th August, 2018

M7 Fresh by Yves Saint Laurent

Had to get this after trying the fantastic Original M7- when the label says "fresh", they mean it! I don't even get the grapefruit note, just FRESH and lovely herbal notes. One of my new faves. Why discontinue this?! A must have!
28th May, 2018

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

One of the most masculine frags out there. Super clean, with a lovely juniper berry note and clove. A true Barbershop scent, and the best Creed scent I've tried so far.
28th May, 2018

Eau de Citron Noir by Hermès

Simply one of the worst things I've ever smelled, like kerosene and bug spray. I get nothing other than these two overwhelming notes. It adheres to the rule that the worst perfumes are the longest lived. I tried to wash it off with soap and water, then cover it with a good scent, and I could still smell it hours later. I wish I could try this with a friend to know what they think. I won't even give this to Goodwill. I contacted Hermes to tell them what I thought- no reply yet.
19th May, 2018

Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Just got my sample and was excited to try it out, but what a disappointment! A weird chemical mess that doesn't really smell like the listed notes imply. Very dry and not at all pleasant, I can't see a woman wanting to smell like this. A real miss!
26th December, 2017

Eau de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès

Tried my sample sprayer a few times, then gave it away. I can like the smell of grapefruit, if blended well with other notes, but this is just grapefruit pure and simple. Bitter and sulphurous, and lasts for about five minutes. The best grapefruit scent to my nose is actually Hermes Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate, where it seems blended with rhubarb and rose.
17th December, 2017

Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès

While the title and notes of this frag mention only rhubarb, I get a very nice grapefruit and rose scent. I've also tried Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose, and think that this is the scent that E.P.R. wanted to be but isn't. I got a full bottle of this after smelling my sample sprayer only three times. I tend to equate floral scents as "women's" more often than not, but fruity scents like this (and Vaara by Penhaligon) as truly unisex.
17th December, 2017

Eau des Minimes by Le Couvent des Minimes

I just got the "real" Eau des Minimes and can't say I like it much. It is a true EDC like 4711, but very grapefruit centered. Very fresh, with no chemical notes, but all I smell is that one grapefruit note. The notes mentioned on the right above are very confusing- as there is no vanilla in this at all.
29th November, 2017

Flor de Blason by Myrurgia

I found a large, vintage bottle of this on the net and got a deal. This scent is so old it's more unisex than for women. It's a very soft scent that reminds me of a genuine mountain meadow, with fresh grass and wildflowers next to a stream. Just superb, very rich and fresh.
25th November, 2017

Vaara by Penhaligon's

I hadn't cared for the two Penhaligon frags I'd tried (English Fern and Sartorial)so I was very surprised by this one- a fresh blast of quince paste and rosewater, followed by many notes I couldn't ID. Very fresh and inviting- I list this as a unisex frag, but a man would have to be a daring dandy to pull it off. One of my faves right now.
26th September, 2017

Verde di Persia by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

This is one of those frags that I wouldn't think I would like if I described it to myself. It really smells like cotton candy made in heaven. Sweet and enveloping, but very complex and friendly. Another great date fragrance.
I truly love every scent I've tried from this house and I plan to try everything they make if it bankrupts me.
05th August, 2017

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

I've only recently discovered this producer, and they've shown me a new world of scents. Ambra Nera is a very complex amber vanilla with amazing richness. It kind of seems like what Chanel aspires to be but misses. I think this would be the all time best date night fragrance.
05th August, 2017

Carven Homme by Carven

I made the mistake of trying the similarly named Carven Pour Homme, which turned out to be one of the worst scents I've ever encountered. Only after nine months did I find out that Carven Homme is a totally different fragrance that has been discontinued. I wonder about the sanity of a company that would discontinue a scent this great. Somehow this seems like what Shalimar should be but isn't-- a wonderful oriental, spicy, woody, incense scent that on the first spray makes you say "Wow!", and on further uses go "Mmmmmmm!". I would say this is definitely a unisex scent. After finding one bottle at only $13 I immediately purchased two more. Easily in my top five right now.
31st August, 2016

Eau de Cartier : Essence d'Orange by Cartier

A fine fragrance if you want to smell like an orange for about an hour. Really not much to talk about, pleasant enough,good hot weather scent, gone in a little while. Zeste de Soleil is far better.

Eau de Cartier : Zeste de Soleil by Cartier

I really love how this smells but it's quite weak and does not last for me at all. It seems like regular Eau de Cartier with a big dose of orange, passionfruit,and yuzu- simply the best hot weather scent around. For me it's the best of the Eau de Cartier line and should be better known.

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

I simply don't get all the good reviews of this one. I've gotten two samples, one direct from Chanel, and they smell the same- by which I mean not at all. I desperately try to find anything in this scent only to be disappointed by a tiny hint of citrus (grapefruit?)and the cheapest "marine" type note that reminds me of products by Nautica. I put my nose right on the sprayed area and get nearly nothing.Recent Chanel products have seemed shocking in their seeming cheapness.

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

I'm also not a huge fan of rose scents in perfumery as they tend to get too sweet and cloying over time. Not this one. I love this version of rose as it seems tinged with a hint of juicy orange followed by what I perceive as smoke rather than the cardamom, cumin, and nutmeg described. I would call this a masculine "dandy" scent rather than a feminine one. On me it lasts as long as eight hours but remains subtle all that time. My favorite scent by this house.
03rd June, 2016

Knize Two by Knize

I have tried everything available by Knize and this is by far my favorite. A big burst of fresh green notes and what seems like lime blossom is followed by very subtle florals, spice, and musk. There is a similarity to Grey Flannel, but I liken it to comparing Sunny Delight to fresh orange juice. I don't get all the individual floral notes as distinct scents, more of a harmonious complete experience. Wish Knize was more available, it should be better known.
19th May, 2016

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

I've been wearing for two days solid and keep re-applying it as it wears off. An expansive oakmoss and spice bomb, with subtle florals that peek out every once in a while. Masculine and confident, with no off notes in the blend. Just love it.
18th May, 2016 (last edited: 19th May, 2016)