Reviews by Perfume Pixie

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Alien is the fragrance I love despite myself. I sort of dislike everything the perfume stands for, it's name, the gaudy packaging, not to mention it's notoriety. Alien is too well known for it's own good in a way, it's celebrity making it feel that bit too obvious, and therefore overplayed and unrefined. Thierry Mugler seems to be the worst kept secret in perfumery. And yet, the scent itself is so appealing and irresistible to me, that I overcome my snobbery and all these things, the name, the packaging, they pale into insignificance because at the end of the day: I love that smell. It's as simple as that. However loud and conspicuous there is something in the combination of notes in this fragrance that always pulls me in. It is sort of a throw back to the 80s in it's big brassy unabashedly sexy floral nature. It's kind of brash and overt in it's sexiness so I have to be in a very specific mood to wear it - usually a winter's evening, it should be worn with heels. It should feel dated by now I tell myself but Alien remains a heady and intoxicating magic potion I can't help but adore, an ex-lover who is no good but I keep coming back to anyway.
14th June, 2016

Velvet Orris / Violet / White Pepper by Korres

Iris and Violet are two of my preferred floral notes and I'm fond of pepper too. On my skin there is a sweetness in the dry down and I'm not sure where it comes from, whether vanilla and musk have been used in the base notes and possibly not mentioned. It isn't the most unique or sophisticated fragrance but the silage and longevity are great, especially given the super affordable price. I spritz it on for work sometimes as it's cheap and cheerful and I'm not precious about using it up, I do find it always garners lots of compliments though and it always takes me slightly by surprise. I feel like perhaps others enjoy it on me more than I enjoy it on myself. I really enjoy Korres as a brand, I like their simple packaging and the combinations of scents they use and best of all the competitive price point!
14th June, 2016

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Like most fragrances I hated this on the blotter but on the skin it's another story entirely. As a woman I feel it is slightly on the feminine side of unisex. I can see ow this fragrance could be quite divisive as it's very heavy and rich, not the most wearable and definitely more winter appropriate. It would be a great Christmas scent as it is warm and spicy with a hint of sweetness. On me it smells like warm woody amber-y incense, like a Cathedral or a Catholic church in winter, which I love. Fantastic silage and projection, lasts and lasts, powerful stuff!

08th June, 2016 (last edited: 14th June, 2016)

Mimosa & Cardamom by Jo Malone

If you enjoy warmer spicy fragrances, this is a really beautiful Autumnal scent. I find the cardamom note really comforting. It's the kind of fragrance I enjoy spritzing onto a scarf to bury my nose into on a miserable rainy day in London. I enjoy that this fragrance is quite unusual, I have yet to smell one quite like it. Very pleasant, and much like with other Jo Malone fragrances I love the innovative combination of notes but I find the lasting power leaves much to be desired. It actually lasts better than other Jo Malone fragrances in my collection but still not great. The scent is gently spicy and I find myself over-spraying which I think you can get away with as it is not an overpowering fragrance.

08th June, 2016

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens

On paper I should really love this. Orange blossom is amongst my most favourite floral notes. This is an unusual one because frequently I despise the openers of fragrances but enjoy the settled down effect of the dry down or skin scent. However, this is the first scent to have the opposite effect. I adored the opening, pure juicy summery fragrant orange blossom, powerful and jolly but this does not settle nicely on my skin. I'm getting Marrakech spice market, and not in a good way. I'm getting a heavy hit of cumin which fives the impression of a sweaty armpit. I smell like I've rolled around in a spice rub. Having loved the wave of orange blossom upon first spritz, an hour later I'm disappointed, especially judging from the other reviews and it's evident popularity.I must be one of the unlucky ones! However the silage and projection is amazing so if you get more florals than meat marinade or body odour on your skin I see how it could be beautiful.
07th June, 2016 (last edited: 14th June, 2016)

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

In a fog of male colognes Rocky Mountain Wood is the first to steal my heart in a long time. Probably the most reasonably priced fragrance in my boyfriend's extensive collection and yet by far my favourite. This is one to wear casually in the daytime. To me it's seasonally versatile; fresh enough for spring days yet it's woody depth is well suited to autumn. I see this as the scent of a handsome bearded man who is clean and outdoorsy and just the right side of rugged. Floral notes of violet, amber and Canadian lily are made masculine with the woody base notes of vetiver and cedar. I'm a real sucker for violet on myself and vetiver on the opposite sex, and they seem to counter balance each other extremely well. If you love vetiver this is a must try, especially given it's reasonable price point - a truly irresistible male scent, thoroughly recommend!
24th May, 2016