Reviews by TBuns

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus

Yes there is a mint note in this and one million is somehow recallable with its use. However, I think this scent is really all about a very sweet and exotic spiced fruitiness with the dates, raisins and saffron dominating its unique effect. A high quality blend, for sure.

I think it is too sweet for many men; but, thankfully the sweetness fades off to a nicer level after an hour or so. I wouldn't wear this as a mainstay frag yet I really like it as a quality statement maker. It is reasonably strong, last well and is very affordable. I could have voted neutral as I can't see this as a daily scent; but, I thought it is deserving of the thumbs up due to its unique niche filling capability. I enjoy it every time I venture that far out of the established safety zone.

These sort of brave frags are what many of us are searching for as we attempt to build out our scent portfolios.
15th May, 2018

Black by Kenneth Cole

I think the notes listing and recent reviews have nailed this mixture's elements pretty well. I will comment more generally.

Black has a very common modern aqua air about it. However, it is amazingly powerful by modern standards and it does have a nicely blended late appearing blackish incense note that stands it apart from the modern norm. Somehow I always manage to spray on too much of this potent scent, as it is so light and inviting up front. I better put 1 or 2 marks on this bottle, which would be a reasonable number of sprays. 3 is too much and alas my wife now does not like this one.

I still generally like it; but, the darkish midpoint and ending can be an irritant. It lasts very well too. A great value given its very reasonable price and potency. 1 bottle should last a very long time when applied correctly.
07th May, 2018

Clubman Lustray Blue Spice by Pinaud

Lustray Blue Spice is likely conceived along the lines of Aqua Velva Blue. I get the berries and black pepper from it, a very good elemental description. It also brings to mind The Beat by Burberry (a modern peppery aqua). I find nothing annoying about this scent and applaud its pricing too.

If you desire to splash on a large amount of alcohol/water and not want all the scent that normally comes with that, this could be a consideration. Otherwise its just way too weak to be taken seriously as a scenting product, having almost no projection. It lasts OK and does make a nice skin scent.
23rd February, 2018 (last edited: 26th February, 2018)

Eau de Quinine by Pinaud

This is a red dyed med/light scented hair tonic. I will leave the complicated scent description to the other posters. It is not oily and does add control with only a little shine. IMO, As a hair tonic Eau de Portugal is far superior. It does the very same job without creating a shirt stain concern as well as a scent conflict concern. I'd use that plus a scent product over this any day. I do not consider this as an AS although I suppose it could be used that way. Its pretty weak if considered as an AS. That may be just what some might want.
23rd February, 2018

Eau de Portugal by Pinaud

This is a lightly scented hair tonic. It is clear and has a very nice light orange scent. It should not be considered as a primary scenting product. IMO, it goes with about anything scent wise and is one of my better choices for hair control. Many after shave splashes work fairly well as hair tonics too; but, watch out for scent OD.

As a hair tonic, it is non greasy and very light in its hold and weight. It adds a little shine. It does have enough hold to get my fairly thick hair under control without the oil.
23rd February, 2018

Clubman Lustray Spice by Pinaud

Roughly this boils down to ~1/4 Clubman's house musk (mild and OK) meets ~3/4 Old Spice "me too copy" at <<$1/oz. It has a quite light after shave strength. If you like OS this barbershop scent should be a welcomed cousin scent for you. This "spice" is much more gourmand than OS and reminds me of yummy cinnamon streusel cakes. I really love the scent in this. My only complaint, a huge one, is that it is way too weak to be a good projecting scent product. Even after liberally splashing it on face, hair and chest it fades to a skin scent within 2 hours. Oh well, I guess I will enjoy this one mostly by myself.

I'm glad to have "big bang for the buck" old fashioned barber used products, like Pinaud offers. IMO, their line up contains plenty of swill; but, a few true gems too. Sometimes a cheap AS splash that smells very nice for a few hours is exactly what I want. I've been looking for a more yummy approach to OS and thankfully now have found one. If only it had even mediocre oomph...
20th February, 2018 (last edited: 12th March, 2018)

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The modern juice is still a true performer with excellent value. A fantastic blend of scents with a very appropriate moniker, as well. This could easily be the king of all barbershop scents except for the frugality of the average barber. Its cheap but was never cheap enough to meet their requirements. Instead OS made its way big time as an over the counter frag. I would consider it to be a prized gem if it were not so darn common. So, I still must have it about, it was dad's scent on those rare days that he wore one. I truly enjoy this one off and on in the privacy of our home.
I wish I could find something very similar yet different enough to wear out and about.
09th February, 2018

Classic Vanilla by Pinaud

Very light, fleeting and quite pleasant vanilla/tonka dominated affair. Do not expect projection either, its just not there. If your looking for this and no more, give it a try. Personally I want more potency at a minimum, so I can decide to either use it lightly (to get this effect) or splash more on to create a larger impact. I'll go neutral based upon its usefulness under the above limitations.
08th February, 2018

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I was nervously expecting a brash overly synthetic powerhouse here. I have tried about a dozen of these "old beasts" and found a couple real keepers plus plenty of rabid dog spray. I was pleasantly surprised by DNs smooth yet potent masculine manner. Lots of citrus plus a very large chorus of notes that seem to straddle the powerhouse and barbershop segments. My bottle is current.

It does smell dated although quite pleasant, if you don't overdue it. Some of the "good old stuff" where you get a lot of bang for the buck. It last quite well too. This is nothing like the modern trending frags, something I appreciate.
04th February, 2018

Skin Bracer by Mennen

A very pleasing AS splash that combines a big menthol blast and a fainter yet quite nice barbershop spice blend (lavender, etc.). It is not built to last. I don't think any menthol concoction is well suited for that. It does a fine job as an alcohol based face cooler. All of the above deserves a thumbs up.

I like to use short lived scents as well as long lasting ones. Sometimes the blast and fade fast approach is what I want. But make no mistake this will not prooject well 2 hours later, like most good colognes hope to. It does remain as a very nice fading skin scent for 8-10 hours.

This is terribly common, sad as it is a very nice splash and very affordable too. So, I rarely don it before an about town outing. I do enjoy it infrequently around the house. The same can be said about a few other "too exposed" frags like Brut. Too nice to ignore yet too common to define ones independant minded style with, IMO.

11th January, 2018 (last edited: 27th January, 2018)

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

Well, on the positive side its potent, very inexpensive and the musk is good, IMO. However the citrus is very synthetic and way too artificial to be taken seriously. Think lemonhead candy with lime and a shot of musk and you have the general effect in mind. If that works for you, you can save a lot of cash with this and any other Pinaud product I have tried. I adore their bay rum, so have found one diamond in the rough there.
02nd December, 2017

Mr Blass by Bill Blass

I think DrFishopolus and Foetidus have nailed the scent description extremely well. No need to rewrite all that.

It does remind me of Yatagan as well, although more civil and much more wearable. It is blended superbly, seems very well balanced and is available for a very modest price. I dislike almost all scents with incense; but, sure do like this one. Highly recommended to try should our descriptions appeal to you.

19th August, 2017

Burberry Brit for Men by Burberry

Like many other Burberry offerings Brit has a very impressively blended nature. Also very good power, projection and bang for the buck. Along with all that it lasts well into the next day as a strong skin scent. They certainly know how to build an affordable robust quality frag at Burberry.

However, an odd spice and incense vibe (cardamom I think) doesn't appeal to me; too bad as the rest of it is great. I can appreciate what they have done here, its very well done for sure. Like many a dish with an unusual dominant spice, it just doesn't compel me to dive in. Even so I was very tempted to go "thumbs up" anyway. I keep trying to take a serious shine to it and almost have gotten there. It covers so many bases extremely well.

Update: I have grown to favor Brit and have moved from neutral to thumbs up. I will wear it in rotation now.
20th May, 2017 (last edited: 08th October, 2017)

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

A nice peppery affair that wears very well around the office. Not very loud or brash, but; nicely separated from the more usual work juice. I did not like the violet in Grey Flannel, but; like it here (much more subdued). It does pretty well after work as well, but; I usually opt for something else.

I think its well worth a try.
20th May, 2017

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Special Reserve by Ogallala Bay Rum

This product separates very quickly and must be well shaken before each application, I think this is a very common misstep, causing bad experiences. It has a witch hazel base and is a splash on, so I consider it as an after shave.

Easily a top dog within the true bay rum products. A wonderful rich, buttery and light to modestly (not heavily) spiced BR available in several strengths (aftershave, cologne, both in single and double strength=special reserve) plus several more aftershaves with added notes. Moderate in cost considering the amount I like to splash on/swim in and the shorter longevity bay essential oils have.

I have tried several BRs and use them often. This is the real McCoy with a very high quality BEO dominant note. For me, a very fine BR. It deserves its fine long standing reputation. For a few dollars more I highly recommend the double strength (=special reserve) cologne offering, by far the best bang/dollar. Absolutely worth a try. I do not recommend any of the aftershaves because they are quite thin, yet cost almost as much. Go for the straight and true bay rum experience in their double strength cologne product first if you want to try the best they have to offer, IMO.

03rd April, 2017 (last edited: 04th June, 2017)

Canoé by Dana

A markedly pleasant and powdery affair that will offend very few with its mild barbershopish (lavender plus) manner. Somewhat sweet in a vanilla way but not cloying. Canoe is a very nice venerable creation that performs quite well on a small investment. It is old but does not small obsolete. A good barbershop never goes out of style, IMO. The only possible concern might be its high degree of exposure over many years.

Trying it for the first time now brought back an ancient memory of my first exposure to it in my youth. Amazing how strong those old scent memories are. An easy thumbs up for both my spouse and me.
02nd April, 2017

Aramis by Aramis

Aramis starts off with a citrus and incense dominated vibe. The citrus fades straight away while leather and sandalwood notes soon express themselves. An animalistic note also develops which stays for the duration and is similar in the much later developed Kouros product by YSL.

I am pleased to note that the incense backs off to a supportive role and the animalistic vibe is also not strong enough to put me off, as it does strongly (public restroom) in Kouros. Good potency, projection and longevity at a bargain price. Quite masculine without all the heavy bluster of many full out powerhouse frags, although I think "powerhouse style" with this one too. As another reviewer has stated, along with Havana and Tuscany, this scent illustrates the ability of the Aramis house to produce very nice masculine scents that offer considerable appeal at a rock bottom price, bravo Aramis.
01st April, 2017 (last edited: 07th June, 2017)

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Forget the scent pyramid shown, it can't be correct.

Tuscany is quite similar to Azzaro PH, most likely a close copy thereof. It has a different citrus blast up front, I'd say even stronger with a quicker fade and of a more industrial type lemon, as well. A similar anise and fennel dominant Italian herb combo is there too. However, it shares the stage with some leather and tobacco I think (shades of Aramis Havana). Potency, projection and longevity are all good. The price is great, at rock bottom.

Very nice overall although not differentiated by much from APH. I am quite pleased with this yet when I use it up I will probably go forward with APH and Havana. Tuscany seems to fall between them, fairly close to APH.

20th March, 2017

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I just picked up a new authentic wrapped box from a reputable source. I can't imagine it's a fake.

I find this scent to be an appealing masculine heavily blended warm spice/amber/leather led affair. However, I can't believe how weak it is. I applied normally and a minute later reapplied 1 & 1/2 times again. I'm not nose blind to anything else, so far. Wow, what happened here? Its inexpensive with a rich amber color and lasts acceptably well; but, I can't support any claimed to be an EDC mixed this weakly. Bring back some potency and I'd go a big thumbs up for sure. I would truly relish it then.
19th March, 2017 (last edited: 04th October, 2017)

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Two squirts of this is entirely inoffensive. Clean lemon lime soda with some fill in notes rounding it out. Similar to Acqua Di Gio as well as Brut after its been neutered by eliminating the nice creamy lavender.

OK, it certainly does not smell bad. You could do worse when picking a safe scent. It's very inexpensive as well, a nice plus.

IMO, it lacks character and I won't wear it; but, I'm not interested in the overwhelming majority of newer scents either, at any price point.
13th March, 2017 (last edited: 14th March, 2017)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Take a common, non offensive and nothing unusual high quality scent blend, add a big slice of warm and spicy fruit (peach and apple) pie with a scoop of ice cream and then bottle it. You got it, a very comfortable gourmand dessert vibe that is very affordable, of moderate potency and lasts well too.

It probably sounds more cloying than it really is, of course it could be too cloying for another nose. I really enjoy this on a rotational basis, very nice. IMO, the new Burberry London is fairly similar; but, has a Christmas festive vibe instead. I wouldn't want to sport either daily yet will not be without them. A pair of indulgent pleasures.
12th March, 2017 (last edited: 29th May, 2017)

Clubman by Pinaud

I did not know how to rate this, as it has many polarizing aspects. Lots of leather and citrus with the "barbershop" required geranium/lavender notes.

+++ This is a product so many of us grew up with as we visited our local barbershops. Great memories and perhaps even worn by an elder family member too. Masculine, plenty powerful, very inexpensive and certainly appealing in its smooth later stage or at any distance over 2' (given you haven't already burned out on it). Thanks to my trooper lab Odin who sports it sooo well, showing me it can be done.

--- Initial synthetic blast with some of it lasting a while, IMO. At under $1/oz. its tough to get all the best ingredients. I have to evade the 1st 30 or so minutes or I will turn on it. No frequent sniffing of this one as it dries down, for me.

Their special reserve product seems to be a more concentrated version of this and I find it way too synthetic and brash (fairly rare for me).

So, I like much about it, yet will very rarely wear it out and about. Perhaps I will crack the cap and let it continuously evoke positive memories within my shaving area, or maybe Odin needs an Xmas gift that he can't chew on.

10th March, 2017 (last edited: 22nd February, 2018)

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum by Ogallala Bay Rum

This product gets a neutral or a mild "up" from me. Their double strength (special reserve) gets a big thumbs up.

10th March, 2017 (last edited: 04th June, 2017)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A big thumbs up. Hands down the best creamy barbershop scent I have ever tried. Yep, this is what every old fashioned American barber shop should strive to smell like, memories galore. Perhaps a wee bit weak in performance due to modest power and a quicker than average fade. It always brings to mind a rich combo of a creamy root beer float and lavender led spice blend.

Azzaro PH is similar with better power and longevity; but, I reach much more for this when "Vintage Barbershop" is on my mind. APH appeals to me strongly, as well, in a somewhat different manner with its Italian spice connection.

Big bummer, it seems to be getting ever scarcer and spendier. I sourced a second can (a very novel container) a few months ago, before that vendor sold out or hiked the price up a few more notches. Sad day if and when its gone.
08th March, 2017 (last edited: 10th February, 2018)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I get largely orange and cedar. An award winner, it's nicely done with good power, projection and longevity. It's spendy; but, not outrageously so, IMO. It works for me; however, probably wouldn't at a higher price point.
07th March, 2017

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Another quality product from Puig. Quorum clearly deserves its fine reputation.

I don't enjoy the strong incense vibe. Otherwise; very nicely blended, powerful, long lasting and easy on the wallet. Puig is a go to house for high value products, for sure.
03rd March, 2017 (last edited: 30th January, 2018)

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Too dark and incense like for me. I don't take to the incense at all. Otherwise it seems to be of good quality, is very powerful and very easy on the wallet.
03rd March, 2017

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

It turns out I don't like cardamom (the incense vibe), so this one turns me away more than it draws me. Without it I would go neutral or even up for the remaining cedar led combination. As is common with Puig, its a real bargain, if you like it.
02nd March, 2017 (last edited: 03rd March, 2017)

Legend by Michael Jordan

Very rich, sweet and sensual. Its a Rochas Man clone with more power; but, less citrus, chocolate vibe and cost. I get loads of sweetened tonka/vanilla and I think amber here.

You need to be OK with the big time sweetness to love this. I was torn between neutral and thumbs up. The power, quality and low cost eeked it to "up" for me.
26th February, 2017

Acqua Classica by Borsari

I get bitter citrus atop a complex herbal/grassy/woody base. All done in a very high quality manner. The big citrus blast disperses within 20 minutes yet remains sufficiently to nicely balance the short endgame. At this time the projection and strength quickly drops a tremendous amount, to a weak level. It becomes a skin scent very quickly, I think showing its era/age. It must be considered as the very old concoction that it started as and, to some large degree, remains today. Do not expect power or endurance after dry down here.

OK, its very weak once settled, yet very inoffensive and very appealing. Terre D'Hermes' modern orange and cedar appears to have been inspired by classic Italian scents like this one. Allowing for its ancient nature, a bargain priced historic product very worthy of a try. However, not very practical if scent projection is expected.

26th February, 2017