Reviews by TBuns

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The modern juice is still a true performer with excellent value. A fantastic blend of scents with a very appropriate moniker, as well. This could easily be the king of all barbershop scents except for the frugality of the average barber. Its cheap but was never cheap enough to meet their requirements. Instead OS made its way big time as an over the counter frag. I would consider it to be a prized gem if it were not so darn common. So, I still must have it about, it was dad's scent on those rare days that he wore one. I truly enjoy this one off and on in the privacy of our home.
I wish I could find something very similar yet different enough to wear out and about.
09th February, 2018

Classic Vanilla by Pinaud

Very light, fleeting and quite pleasant vanilla/tonka dominated affair. Do not expect projection either, its just not there. If your looking for this and no more, give it a try. Personally I want more potency at a minimum, so I can decide to either use it lightly (to get this effect) or splash more on to create a larger impact. I'll go neutral based upon its usefulness under the above limitations.
08th February, 2018

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I was nervously expecting a brash overly synthetic powerhouse here. I have tried about a dozen of these "old beasts" and found a couple real keepers plus plenty of rabid dog spray. I was pleasantly surprised by DNs smooth yet potent masculine manner. Lots of citrus plus a very large chorus of notes that seem to straddle the powerhouse and barbershop segments. My bottle is current.

It does smell dated although quite pleasant, if you don't overdue it. Some of the "good old stuff" where you get a lot of bang for the buck. It last quite well too. This is nothing like the modern trending frags, something I appreciate.
04th February, 2018

Skin Bracer by Mennen

A very pleasing AS splash that combines a big menthol blast and a fainter yet quite nice barbershop spice blend (lavender, etc.). It is not built to last. I don't think any menthol concoction is well suited for that. It does a fine job as an alcohol based face cooler. All of the above deserves a thumbs up.

I like to use short lived scents as well as long lasting ones. Sometimes the blast and fade fast approach is what I want. But make no mistake this will not prooject well 2 hours later, like most good colognes hope to. It does remain as a very nice fading skin scent for 8-10 hours.

This is terribly common, sad as it is a very nice splash and very affordable too. So, I rarely don it before an about town outing. I do enjoy it infrequently around the house. The same can be said about a few other "too exposed" frags like Brut. Too nice to ignore yet too common to define ones independant minded style with, IMO.

11th January, 2018 (last edited: 27th January, 2018)

Citrus Musk by Pinaud

Well, on the positive side its potent, very inexpensive and the musk is good, IMO. However the citrus is very synthetic and way too artificial to be taken seriously. Think lemonhead candy with lime and a shot of musk and you have the general effect in mind. If that works for you, you can save a lot of cash with this and any other Pinaud product I have tried. I adore their bay rum, so have found one diamond in the rough there.
02nd December, 2017

Mr Blass by Bill Blass

I think DrFishopolus and Foetidus have nailed the scent description extremely well. No need to rewrite all that.

It does remind me of Yatagan as well, although more civil and much more wearable. It is blended superbly, seems very well balanced and is available for a very modest price. I dislike almost all scents with incense; but, sure do like this one. Highly recommended to try should our descriptions appeal to you.

19th August, 2017

Brit for Men by Burberry

Like many other Burberry offerings Brit has a very impressively blended nature. Also very good power, projection and bang for the buck. Along with all that it lasts well into the next day as a strong skin scent. They certainly know how to build an affordable robust quality frag at Burberry.

However, an odd spice and incense vibe (cardamom I think) doesn't appeal to me; too bad as the rest of it is great. I can appreciate what they have done here, its very well done for sure. Like many a dish with an unusual dominant spice, it just doesn't compel me to dive in. Even so I was very tempted to go "thumbs up" anyway. I keep trying to take a serious shine to it and almost have gotten there. It covers so many bases extremely well.

Update: I have grown to favor Brit and have moved from neutral to thumbs up. I will wear it in rotation now.
20th May, 2017 (last edited: 08th October, 2017)

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

A nice peppery affair that wears very well around the office. Not very loud or brash, but; nicely separated from the more usual work juice. I did not like the violet in Grey Flannel, but; like it here (much more subdued). It does pretty well after work as well, but; I usually opt for something else.

I think its well worth a try.
20th May, 2017

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne Special Reserve by Ogallala Bay Rum

This product separates very quickly and must be well shaken before each application, I think this is a very common misstep, causing bad experiences. It has a witch hazel base and is a splash on, so I consider it as an after shave.

Easily a top dog within the true bay rum products. A wonderful rich, buttery and light to modestly (not heavily) spiced BR available in several strengths (aftershave, cologne, both in single and double strength=special reserve) plus several more aftershaves with added notes. Moderate in cost considering the amount I like to splash on/swim in and the shorter longevity bay essential oils have.

I have tried several BRs and use them often. This is the real McCoy with a very high quality BEO dominant note. For me, a very fine BR. It deserves its fine long standing reputation. For a few dollars more I highly recommend the double strength (=special reserve) cologne offering, by far the best bang/dollar. Absolutely worth a try. I do not recommend any of the aftershaves because they are quite thin, yet cost almost as much. Go for the straight and true bay rum experience in their double strength cologne product first if you want to try the best they have to offer, IMO.

03rd April, 2017 (last edited: 04th June, 2017)

Canoé by Dana

A markedly pleasant and powdery affair that will offend very few with its mild barbershopish (lavender plus) manner. Somewhat sweet in a vanilla way but not cloying. Canoe is a very nice venerable creation that performs quite well on a small investment. It is old but does not small obsolete. A good barbershop never goes out of style, IMO. The only possible concern might be its high degree of exposure over many years.

Trying it for the first time now brought back an ancient memory of my first exposure to it in my youth. Amazing how strong those old scent memories are. An easy thumbs up for both my spouse and me.
02nd April, 2017

Aramis by Aramis

Aramis starts off with a citrus and incense dominated vibe. The citrus fades straight away while leather and sandalwood notes soon express themselves. An animalistic note also develops which stays for the duration and is similar in the much later developed Kouros product by YSL.

I am pleased to note that the incense backs off to a supportive role and the animalistic vibe is also not strong enough to put me off, as it does strongly (public restroom) in Kouros. Good potency, projection and longevity at a bargain price. Quite masculine without all the heavy bluster of many full out powerhouse frags, although I think "powerhouse style" with this one too. As another reviewer has stated, along with Havana and Tuscany, this scent illustrates the ability of the Aramis house to produce very nice masculine scents that offer considerable appeal at a rock bottom price, bravo Aramis.
01st April, 2017 (last edited: 07th June, 2017)

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

Forget the scent pyramid shown, it can't be correct.

Tuscany is quite similar to Azzaro PH, most likely a close copy thereof. It has a different citrus blast up front, I'd say even stronger with a quicker fade and of a more industrial type lemon, as well. A similar anise and fennel dominant Italian herb combo is there too. However, it shares the stage with some leather and tobacco I think (shades of Aramis Havana). Potency, projection and longevity are all good. The price is great, at rock bottom.

Very nice overall although not differentiated by much from APH. I am quite pleased with this yet when I use it up I will probably go forward with APH and Havana. Tuscany seems to fall between them, fairly close to APH.

20th March, 2017

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

I just picked up a new authentic wrapped box from a reputable source. I can't imagine it's a fake.

I find this scent to be an appealing masculine heavily blended warm spice/amber/leather led affair. However, I can't believe how weak it is. I applied normally and a minute later reapplied 1 & 1/2 times again. I'm not nose blind to anything else, so far. Wow, what happened here? Its inexpensive with a rich amber color and lasts acceptably well; but, I can't support any claimed to be an EDC mixed this weakly. Bring back some potency and I'd go a big thumbs up for sure. I would truly relish it then.
19th March, 2017 (last edited: 04th October, 2017)

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Two squirts of this is entirely inoffensive. Clean lemon lime soda with some fill in notes rounding it out. Similar to Acqua Di Gio as well as Brut after its been neutered by eliminating the nice creamy lavender.

OK, it certainly does not smell bad. You could do worse when picking a safe scent. It's very inexpensive as well, a nice plus.

IMO, it lacks character and I won't wear it; but, I'm not interested in the overwhelming majority of newer scents either, at any price point.
13th March, 2017 (last edited: 14th March, 2017)

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Take a common, non offensive and nothing unusual high quality scent blend, add a big slice of warm and spicy fruit (peach and apple) pie with a scoop of ice cream and then bottle it. You got it, a very comfortable gourmand dessert vibe that is very affordable, of moderate potency and lasts well too.

It probably sounds more cloying than it really is, of course it could be too cloying for another nose. I really enjoy this on a rotational basis, very nice. IMO, the new Burberry London is fairly similar; but, has a Christmas festive vibe instead. I wouldn't want to sport either daily yet will not be without them. A pair of indulgent pleasures.
12th March, 2017 (last edited: 29th May, 2017)

Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum by Ogallala Bay Rum

This product gets a neutral or a mild "up" from me. Their double strength (special reserve) gets a big thumbs up.

10th March, 2017 (last edited: 04th June, 2017)

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

A big thumbs up. Hands down the best creamy barbershop scent I have ever tried. Yep, this is what every old fashioned American barber shop should strive to smell like, memories galore. Perhaps a wee bit weak in performance due to modest power and a quicker than average fade. It always brings to mind a rich combo of a creamy root beer float and lavender led spice blend.

Azzaro PH is similar with better power and longevity; but, I reach much more for this when "Vintage Barbershop" is on my mind. APH appeals to me strongly, as well, in a somewhat different manner with its Italian spice connection.

Big bummer, it seems to be getting ever scarcer and spendier. I sourced a second can (a very novel container) a few months ago, before that vendor sold out or hiked the price up a few more notches. Sad day if and when its gone.
08th March, 2017 (last edited: 10th February, 2018)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I get largely orange and cedar. An award winner, it's nicely done with good power, projection and longevity. It's spendy; but, not outrageously so, IMO. It works for me; however, probably wouldn't at a higher price point.
07th March, 2017

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Another quality product from Puig. Quorum clearly deserves its fine reputation.

I don't enjoy the strong incense vibe. Otherwise; very nicely blended, powerful, long lasting and easy on the wallet. Puig is a go to house for high value products, for sure.
03rd March, 2017 (last edited: 30th January, 2018)

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Too dark and incense like for me. I don't take to the incense at all. Otherwise it seems to be of good quality, is very powerful and very easy on the wallet.
03rd March, 2017

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

It turns out I don't like cardamom (the incense vibe), so this one turns me away more than it draws me. Without it I would go neutral or even up for the remaining cedar led combination. As is common with Puig, its a real bargain, if you like it.
02nd March, 2017 (last edited: 03rd March, 2017)

Legend by Michael Jordan

Very rich, sweet and sensual. Its a Rochas Man clone with more power; but, less citrus, chocolate vibe and cost. I get loads of sweetened tonka/vanilla and I think amber here.

You need to be OK with the big time sweetness to love this. I was torn between neutral and thumbs up. The power, quality and low cost eeked it to "up" for me.
26th February, 2017

Acqua Classica by Borsari

I get bitter citrus atop a complex herbal/grassy/woody base. All done in a very high quality manner. The big citrus blast disperses within 20 minutes yet remains sufficiently to nicely balance the short endgame. At this time the projection and strength quickly drops a tremendous amount, to a weak level. It becomes a skin scent very quickly, I think showing its era/age. It must be considered as the very old concoction that it started as and, to some large degree, remains today. Do not expect power or endurance after dry down here.

OK, its very weak once settled, yet very inoffensive and very appealing. Terre D'Hermes' modern orange and cedar appears to have been inspired by classic Italian scents like this one. Allowing for its ancient nature, a bargain priced historic product very worthy of a try. However, not very practical if scent projection is expected.

26th February, 2017

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Reaction's noncitrus fruity top notes are unusual and very nice, with just enough going on below to provide acceptable balance. The melon and green apple portion reminds me of the melon and kiwi scent used in many common products. I can't imagine this would annoy anyone unless grossly over sprayed. Projection is somewhat weak and longevity is rather poor.

I am not a fan of modern light watery frags like reaction. However, I would consider this to be better than most. Not enough appeal to get my thumbs up. Might be a true gem for others.
24th February, 2017

Roadster by Cartier

A mint led affair that seems unique, well balanced and quite nicely done. Good longevity and light to average potentcy. Bargain priced as well.

Perhaps the coolest bottle I have laid hands on. Constructed of heavy glass shaped like a sloped car hood with a fender bulge and a twist lock on hub cap over the nozzle.

I wanted to try a minty scent and, I think, got exactly what I asked for. The nice mint just didn't trip my trigger. I will keep it and try it from time to time.
21st February, 2017

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Something spicy in the lower midrange grates badly on me, mild head ache and iffy stomach. Its gotta go.

Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

Play with the addition of a lot more character, particularly in the mid to base note area. I started my serious frag journey with play and soon moved beyond to this one. It gets a big boost from a vanilla/tonka/caramel type of vibe while reducing the impact of the citrus notes. Its still quite inoffensive yet I find it quite interesting and sensual.

Average power, lifespan and projection. A modern offering with more appeal than most, IMO. After several years, I still wear this, on a rotational basis. One of the crowd pleasers, which works for me.

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

I started my serious frag. journey with this and soon moved beyond to play intense and soon enough dozens of others. Its light with lots of peppery citrus, sweet and very inoffensive. Like many modern frags, it doesn't make a significant statement, at all.

I give it a neutral even though I don't wear it anymore. I selected it from a large field of frag counter testers and took several learner steps with it. If you want a modern inoffensive peppery citrus and sweet frag it deserves a serious test. If you want more character, keep looking.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Tons of violet. Instantly, I recalled that I never enjoyed smelling violets. For me, an old lady scent with enough heavy chorus added to be a male scent.
17th February, 2017

Encre Noire by Lalique

My first Vetiver dominated frag. bought based on a comparative thread from this site (thank you all). Very high quality given the budget price and a nice way (beyond a test vial) to figure out how something as dark as "V" appeals to you.

This one is nearly all about the V, with a cedarish scent in the background (Cyprus I suppose). Very little on the top to balance this top to bottom. Its a nice V for sure, a bit earthy IMO, yet not particularly so.

It took me a while to develop a nose for anything this dark. I still dislike most dark scents; but, I like this one. "Black Ink" is a very appropriate name. As one could expect from a big dose of V; it has very good strength, projection and longevity. Not for everyone; but real nice if you might favor "V".
15th February, 2017