Reviews by TheonGreyjoy

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Clove; bright and SPICY. A little sweet, but there is a cinnamon bite to even it out.

This is unisex for me. On my skin it smells like a bunch of holiday potpourri, which sounds terrible but I like that sort of thing. In the air its sharp and all clove, with an animal depth to it, not unlike musk.

I would wear this every day, I enjoyed this in the bottle and right out of it.
24th July, 2016 (last edited: 23rd July, 2016)

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Opens with a strong smell of alcohol that quickly mellows into something extremely floral and very sharp.

There is a lot of depth to this fragrence; a lot of difference flowers coming at you. In the air the scent is fresh and light and coy. On the skin it's a riot, like a bouquet pushed into your face.

It's extremely feminine, and very 80s. Very loud.
21st July, 2016

Black by Bulgari

I like the spicy sharpness in the air; I cant place the scent, but I think it's a bit like the smell on your hands after handling rubber stoppers, or casters.

I'm not getting the sort of metal I wanted from this; I've smelled galvanized steel in a perfume before. And something like a sinus-clearing ozone smell of clean metal. But neither are here.

I like the scent when it's in the air; but on my skin its just a muddy rubber mess for at least half an hour. After that, the rubber seems to fade, and leaves a pleasant, masculine smell behind. That's when you finally get the leather and musk, and that's when this fragrance is finally worth putting on.
20th July, 2016 (last edited: 21st July, 2016)

Alien : Liqueur de Parfum by Thierry Mugler

Sweet. It's so candy sweet.

In the air its absolutely like cotton candy and snow cone syrup. Feminine, light. Sickly sweet. Did I say sweet? Too, too much for me.

On the skin it's more about fruit and vanilla. Far too much of it. If there is a darker liquor note here to balance things out, I can't find it.

This reminds me of what girls used to wear in middle school, and the fruity sprays that were sold at Claires. If you like that, this is the thing for you; it's a very good smell, but just too much of everything for me.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It seems like cedar and gunmetal, especially oil that has picked up the smell of the case. It's sharp and woody, and extremely masculine, with a ripe flower scent that stays dark and serious.

I could see how this could be confused for OFF bugspray, and yet I like it very much. The cedar wins me over and takes me right into the forest with the musk.

You truly get a sensory experience with this; the smell of air scented by evergreens and the branches you have snapped as you walk; the earth rich and damp from a recent rain, the musky smell of sweat and the salt of it running down to your upper lip. And yet it could be buttoned up, and very formal. But definitely primal.

I really like this.

edit: I had to come back and revise this review. I cannot stop smelling this on my wrist. I'm upping my rating from 4 stars to 5, bc I would 100% wear this and get tingles every time I smelled it on the wind.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Goes on a little fume-y, but dries down into something very sensual without being dark. Musky, without being deep. Flowery without being powdery (a death sentence for me) and sweet without being candy like.

I very much enjoyed this, and would recommend it to others.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Musk and flowers and a little powder. So much more depth than some of the lighter, fruitier fragrances I tested at the counter. I was warned this had a lot of musk, and was happy to find out it was true. It has a few oils in it, so they tell me, and it does wear closer to the body.

I enjoyed it

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

Just straight violet. That's it. And yet, its absolutly beautiful. Bright and clean, refreshing and green. I am usually not a fan of flowery perfume, but the green in this gives it a depth that makes me want to roll up inside this smell.

Shalimar Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Beautifully put together, it opens with caramel and musk. Flowery notes come in after. This fragrance is /strong/. But it's a little bit of an acquired taste, and not for me. It's all at once too sweet for me, while also not leathery enough.

Iridum by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Strong alcohol smell in the bottle. When it goes on it smells like peanut brittle and something like dirty fur underneath. Maybe cedar as well.

I'm really confused by this fragrance, but I could see others liking it.

Knize Ten by Knize

The moment I sprayed this on me, I felt it was mine. Something I could wear every day. It's musky with a sweetness and lightness too it that keep it from being heavy and overly masculine. I love the amber in it, and the smell of fur and leather.

I wore it all day at work, and couldn't sweat it off. I'm thinking about buying a full bottle.
14th July, 2016 (last edited: 06th January, 2017)

Mitsouko Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

It's bright and sunny. I smell peach and ginger and mace and honey. Even so, I would keep it for spring and summer. It's got a little spice to it as it opens up, and while I wouldn't call this a night scent /for me/, I tend to wear masculine perfumes at night, so this might be deep enough for someone who prefers florals in the daytime.

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

It's not very remarkable for me. It smells good, like resin. It's musky, but not overpowering. It's just a little sweet on the air. Honestly I like it better in the air than on my skin. I would wear this but not be overwhelmed by it. It's just not me.

Private Collection - Querelle by Parfumerie Generale

Spice. That's everything about this fragrance. It opens sweet, like a pick-up line that makes you laugh, but gets serious quickly. It's all spice and sharpness, with a cinnamon at the forefront, but smells like high summer, not the holiday season.

I'm considering buying a bottle, and my friend was so taken with my response to it she wanted to blind-buy as well. I went hiking 11km in this, in 98F heat, and it was still on me by the end. I would highly recommend this.

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens

I really enjoyed this. It's like spicy sap and evergreen forests in the middle of summer. It's masculine with a hint of something lighter, almost bright. It smells like fresh cut wood and pepper.

I really enjoyed this, and would love to smell it on someone else.

L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès

I loved this. I loved the smell the envelope as it came out of my mailbox. I loved smell of the vial in my hand. It was amazing smelling it on the air, and even better on my skin.

It's orangey and clean and candy sweet and almost salty. It's very loud, you don't need a lot, and it lingers on the air. I would follow someone down the sidewalk if I smelled this on them.

I live in a very hot, very humid place and this is a perfect weight for summer; not cloy, not sickly-sweet, not heavy at all. It's like being at the beach.
12th July, 2016 (last edited: 06th January, 2017)

Scent of Hope by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Juicy, peachy, not overpowering. Underneath it's a little woody, you can smell the musk. Flowery without being too powdery.I keep smelling it on me and looking around to see where this wonderful smell is coming from. I love the smell of clean metal that comes from it.

I want my bed to smell this way, and my clothes fresh out of the dryer. If someone wore this and lent me their jacket, I would steal that jacket.

After about 30 minutes this scent has blended in with my skin and become something deeper and better. I love this, but I have things in my collection that are less powdery, and this is almost too feminine for me.
12th July, 2016 (last edited: 14th July, 2016)

Cuir de Russie Parfum by Chanel

(review of a vintage decant)

CONS:
Putting it on is a nightmare; you're blasted with a scent not unlike that of rubbing alcohol. When it mellows down, its flowery for a few minutes, then it settled into what I expected; all musk and fur and leather. Which I liked, except...

On me (or maybe a few of us) there is this cloying scent like baby powder what won't go away. It's like sitting down on a train with an old lady on one side, and a fresh newborn on the other, and I just don't like it.

PROS:
This is the f*ck-me-boots of perfume. It smells like an invitation, and after about an hour, every time I smell it, my stomach turns over like I'm in love.

This is not the sort of thing to wear to tell someone you just want to be friends. This is not what you would wear to work, or even for day. This is an evening tryst with a stranger sort of scent.

OVERALL:
I wanted to love it, but the babypowder scent has ruined it for me. My friend suggested I'd like it on someone else, so I'll try that. But this isn't something I would wear.
08th July, 2016

Happy by Clinique

I like it a lot in the bottle. On me? It's too bright, too optimistic, too friendly. But I used to love to spray it around the room for something sunshine-y and citrus-y.

Would be a fine scent for younger girls, I think. There is nothing sensual, nothing coy, and nothing deep about it, but that's okay. It smells good and it's clean and fresh.

cK one by Calvin Klein

It's light, not too feminine, and unoffensive. I've kept it around for years, and still enjoy wearing it to work, where it doesn't sweat off.

Something doesn't have to be the end-all and be-all of cutting-edge perfumes to we worth a buy and a wear. I enjoy it!

Vampire by Body Fantasies

Dark, sensual, with only subtle flower notes after the drydown. Not powdery. Not loud. Not bright.

I absolutely love this scent, and it's inexpensive, which is a plus because all my friends beg my bottles off me! I first bought it on a whim from a grocery store of all places, and ever since, I have had to rebuy a half-dozen times bc I end up handing it over as impromptu gifts.

Would recommend for anyone who wants something sensuous and subtle.