Reviews by Daisy900

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

This is gorgeous and so sad that it's discontinued!

On me it opens with a prominent orchid note with waterlily and freesia. Darkly floral with the sweetness of fresh flowers alone.

As it dries, Narcisse, sandalwood, amber and musk all mingle with the floral bouquet to produce fragrance that to me is really quite special. It conjures images of being outside, in the middle of a warm summers night, with the stars in the sky and a gentle breeze carrying the smell of fresh flowers.

The bottle I don't love so much. Very 90's. Everything seemed to be decorated with those moons and suns back then in our house.
04th October, 2016

Cavalli by Roberto Cavalli

This opens with a mix of alcohol and tingly pink pepper which is very short lived. It quickly softens to become a sweet berry fruity floral with a fizzy, sparkly quality that makes me think of sparkling rosé wine. There are some soft wood notes in there and gentle spices but for me this has a tart sweet edge that just makes me feel unwell after wearing it for too long.

It's nice and I can imagine that on the right person it would be a lovely spring/summer daytime fragrance that is inoffensive and pretty but it lacks any kind of wow factor.
02nd October, 2016

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

This was love at first sniff. I'm addicted!

The caraway, clove and cardamom create a really interesting spicy blend with noticeable cinnamon even though it isn't listed. This is one of the few fragrances I've tried where each note is very discernible and yet still in beautiful proportion and well blended. It's unique and stunning. This is one that I'm not sure I could ever be without now!

Longevity and projection are both excellent.
29th September, 2016

Sì by Giorgio Armani

Warm, comforting, sweet and sadly very generic. Really not what I was expecting from this at all. For some reason (marketing I guess), I assumed this would be a grown up, womanly, classy fragrance. Instead it is something that is so easily lost in the crowd. Inoffensive and good for the office perhaps. Lasts maybe 4 hours on my skin and sits close to the skin for much of that. Ideal for autumn/winter.
29th September, 2016

Sea & Sun in Cadaquès by Salvador Dali

This was a blind buy and a really good one.

The apricot and kumquat are noticeable but light and not overly sweet. They're very natural. Water lily can often become too much but is again really well blended here and although salt isn't listed, I get that too. It's very fresh, light, summery and beachy. It's also inoffensive and office friendly. I'm not sure why this isn't better known really.
28th September, 2016

Ultraviolet for Her / Ultraviolet by Paco Rabanne

Fruity, sweet and fresh. The pepper is on the heavy side (perhaps an understatement) which lends to a certain warmth while the fragrance still comes off as very clean. It's ultimately very synthetic which makes picking apart notes challenging but I do detect berries, apricot and violet along with vanilla.

Certainly this is a slightly unusual fragrance but hasn't quite managed to become anything really special. It's projection is light so I can't imagine it being particularly offensive unless over sprayed. I've read people describing it as an older ladies scent but I would have to completely disagree. This is a fresh, young fragrance, I'm sure aimed at late teens and twenty-somethings. Even going by the name and the bottle, that seems a reasonable assumption. I think the tendency towards overly sugary sweet, gourmand fragrances can sometimes lead people to think that anything outside of that bracket is for an older generation but this would suit a younger person wanting to stand out from the crowd a little.
28th September, 2016

Noa by Cacharel

To me this is simply stunning. It's one of my current favourites even though it is not the kind of fragrance that I would usually gravitate towards.

There is something so calm, soothing and ethereal about Noa. It's soft, forgiving, clean and very feminine, innocent but not girly.

I was concerned about trying this when I read the coffee note because I can't stand the smell of it but I couldn't detect it at all. The white musk is prominent, along with jasmine, lily of the valley and peony.

Very good projection, very good lasting power (nothing usually lasts more than a couple of hours on me but this remained detectable all day).

Moschino Pink Bouquet by Moschino

I would have to agree with the previous review - this is all about the opening. Fruiting in the most true and gourmand sense. Pineapple, peach, raspberry and perhaps even a little citrus all blend wonderfully and create a scent reminiscent of fresh, slightly tropical juice. This is sweet without being sickly.

Upon dry down the fruit notes vanish, leaving a girly floral trail but nothing special and easily forgettable. I don't get the gingerbread at all. If only the opening would last longer!

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

Herbal/floral and somewhat aquatic. This is perhaps slightly more masculine than feminine. I often prefer my fragrances more on the masculine side and love herbal fragrances too. The thing that's holding me back here is that price tag. Some Bond's can be brilliant but this one seems to lacklustre. It's something I could instantly forget. Not terrible but not great either. Perhaps well suited to cooler weather.

Silliage and longlevity are both quite good

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Upon first spray I really didn't like Angel but I gave it a change and I'm glad I did.

It's such a gourmand. It's gourmand royalty. This is a fragrance which is so popular and dare I say it, common but it seems to behave differently on different people, giving it that special edge for everyone. For me once the first spray starts to settle down I feel like I'm being followed around by a sherbet dib dab. Every now and then it morphs into something else, vanilla ice cream, chocolate, the pick and mix section. Really it's like walking though a sweet shop. Still it has something slightly darker and heavier which seems to anchor it. I believe that could be the bergamont.

There is also something that catches me every now and then that isn't so good. I don't know what it is but a previous review described it like BO. I understand what they mean but I would have described it as more of a chemical smell, almost like bleach. Fortunately it's very fleeting.

Lasts fantastically and projects well, even on my skin which normally eats up fragrances super fast. This is not one that you want to over spray or you run the risk of making yourself and everyone around you feel very sick.
19th September, 2016

Bright Crystal by Versace

Linea and very generic. This is fresh slightly fruity floral which is soft, synthetic and hard to distinguish from so many others. It smells like walking through the perfume department at a department store.

Still I didn't really find it to be that much of a problem until after about 3 hours it began to make me feel nauseous. Very few fragrances have this effect on me but this was one.
17th September, 2016

8e Jour by Yves Rocher

I was young when this came out and my dad gave me a miniature bottle. I loved it instantly. It's beautifully warm, spicy and extremely comforting. It's surprising that it's not better known or more popular. It's certainly got some similarities to Opium but far more gentle.
17th September, 2016

Diesel Zero Plus Feminine by Diesel

It is rare that I find a fragrance that I completely hate but this is one. I love coconut and yet this was so sickly sweet that I felt ill when wearing it. Still I persisted and tried several times but it was no good. I had to give the bottle away.

Once again this was a Diesel perfume aimed at teenagers and young women. It was popular but I really don't know why.

It was this and the green Diesel weed killer that put me off the brand. I haven't tried anything by them since.
15th September, 2016

Diesel Green Feminine by Diesel

Extremely synthetic but a fragrance that was clearly aimed at teenagers and did what it was designed for. It was very popular at the time and did gain a lot of compliments but it is certainly not something I would recommend to anyone over the age of 20. Lasting power and projection were both awesome though.
15th September, 2016

Deep Night by Ghost

I'm quite surprised at the number of people describing this as a feminine scent. It comes across on me at least as something quite unisex.

The woody notes are prominent on me, blending with something on the smokey side which creates a perfect image to fit the name of Deep Night.

The fruit notes are a little more hidden, juicy and not overly sweet.

In all I would describe this as a perfect evening wear fragrance or perhaps daytime during autumn/winter, although I'm not sure it projects well enough.

On me I find the projection and sillage somewhat lacking but then I'm starting to think that could well be my body chemistry and it may not be the same for others.
11th September, 2016

White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor

Upon first application two things came instantly to mind. The first was that I recognized this. My late grandmother had worn it. The second was that lily and power combination which is very reminiscent of the now discontinued D&G feminine, which was my go to fragrance of the early 2000's. It's warm and comforting. Unfortunately it's lasting power is not great but it's projection is good.

I wouldn't say the aldehydes were particularly strong but I understand why they stand out to anyone who doesn't like them. It's not a really a modern fragrance and that can instantly put off those more accustomed to fruity floral's and gourmands but it certainly stands miles ahead of most celebrity fragrances out there.
06th September, 2016

Obsession by Calvin Klein

I was born the year that this was released and it must have been worn by many during the 90's because it is so familiar and nostalgic, even though I know my mother didn't wear it.

I don't understand how this can be described by some as 'too sweet'. It is very unisex in my very humble opinion and perhaps has a touch of sweetness but is far from excessive. It's clearly an oriental and one that fit's in rather unnoticed when worn in the here and now, unlike the massive 'power-houses' of the decade, which can now feel heavy and old-fashioned.
03rd September, 2016

Elle L'Aime Eau à la Folie by Lolita Lempicka

This was a surprise blind buy for me. Although pineapple wasn't listed as a note, it seems to really stand out initially and mingles nicely with the jasmine and ylang ylang. Projection is good initially but it dries down quickly and is then very close to the skin, warm and woodsy. It doesn't last long enough for me. Maybe 4-5 hours on my skin. It's very summery though. Sweet but not too much. Certainly not a buy that I regret.
31st August, 2016