Reviews by yellowtone

Oudh Infini by Parfums Dusita

Wow, this is a statement fragrance! It's a reference oud rose for me, and one of the most interesting things I've tried so far. Recently I got to sample some real oud oils, and I would be very surprised if Oudh Infini doesn't contain some of the real deal.

Like others have noted, there's a serious barnyard note here straight off the bat. To me, it's a goat dung/skin/cheese type of a funk; deep and slightly strawlike and not for the faint of heart. The opening is really quite unique, and almost un-perfumelike. It takes at least an hour to settle, and during that hour the volume of the rose is turned up slowly. The rose is red and surprisingly fresh at the same time, but it never becomes dominant.

What surprised me about this fragrance is an intensely dry, woody/papery note. It's so parched that it reminds me of desserts and blistering sun, and it keeps the goat dung element just about wearable for me (wet dung would be too gross). This dry note reminds me of one of the Guerlain Les Deserts d'Orient scents, all 3 of which I once tried on blotters, which I then put in a notebook. That notebook now has this amazing dry smell, and I need to figure out at some point which of those 3 fragrances is responsible for it. But I digress.

I like to wear this fragrance as an experience, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable wearing it around other people in the first few hours.
10th November, 2017

Poison by Christian Dior

Poison is not my jam: it's thick, sweet, spicy, but most of all: heavy. The flowers are heady and heavy, the spices are suspended in a thick ooze of amber, the vanilla is rich and heavy, there's a slightly tart, plummy note, but even that is heavy. The whole fragrance is like someone playing a piece of music hitting every note with the same ferocious intensity; monotonically overwhelming. It does have a gothic appeal though, so I do get why some people may love it, but I'll happily leave it to them to pull this off.
03rd November, 2017

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel came out around the time I decided that Chanel no. 5 was the one for me, so I pretty much hated this on principle. Testing it on my skin today, it seems I was right: I really do hate it. It's incredibly loud, incredibly sweet, and there is a funk in there that sets my teeth on edge. Now, mind you, I normally like a bit of funk: Salome's cuminey underpants? Count me in! The barnyard "butt" accord in Inverno Russo? Bring it on! But this I can't handle at all. It's like the smell of a wet, dirty dishrag that you pick up after it's been festering in the sun all day; a slightly rotting, sour smell that clings to your hands long after you've flung the filthy thing far away from you. The saccharine sweetness on top has the same effect as air freshener sprayed in a public bathroom; it only seems to enhance the stench. I do get why this was groundbreaking and all, and it's certainly not boring, so it has that going for it, but I'm honestly surprised this was such a commercial hit. I find it very unpleasant.
03rd November, 2017

Gold Man by Amouage

I only read the reviews for this one after testing it, and they had me laughing out loud; so many of you poor boys were horrified and insulted by this fragrance! I kind of understand the shocked reactions, but I definitely don't agree.

So on to the scent: The resemblance to Gold woman (which I own and love) is clear from the get go. There's a similarity in the bright, floral opening, which is dominated by a strong lily of the valley note. However, there's also a darker undertone present that I don't get in Gold woman: incense and civet are lurking around the corner.

The combined effect is properly stunning and for me both familiar and unfamiliar, which keeps me on my toes. Going forward, the scent seems to have two faces, alternating between Gold man: the floral-powdery-soapy-with-an-incense-twist-twin-of-Gold-woman, and Gold man: a reincarnation of a deeply animalic vintage floral.

The former is quite comfortable and familiar to me, while latter is a remarkable experience. In those moments I feel like I'm wearing something of bygone days that should come in a tiny crystal bottle with a hefty IFRA warning. It's probably the civet, which can't possibly be the real thing, but it's extremely convincing. It actually smells a little like Bal a Versailles, but with a more exotic undertone due to the strong incense base.

I think this stage especially fantastic, and it makes me want to try all the animalic vintage florals. My credit card is crying foul already.

So in conclusion: this is probably not for everyone, but do try it, it's quite the experience. It's also very potent, so handle with care!
19th October, 2017

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

This was one of the first scents I bought after discovering basenotes about a year ago. It's been shelved for the summer months, and since my tastes have been rapidly evolving due to testing many different things, I was wondering if I'd still like this when I got it back out last week.

The answer is yes. I think this is beautiful, and I love wearing it in cold and rainy fall weather. It's a dark, velvety rose; a deep dusky purple with bright burgundy edges. I don't get the chocolate reference as much as others seem to do, but the vanilla is clearly there. It's not too sweet, and together with the patchouli and dusty saffron it creates an earthy backdrop for the rich rose.

I've smelled quite a few fragrances that are similar to this (Juliette has a gun's Lady Vengeance being the most obvious smell-alike), but I always prefer Noir de Noir.
08th September, 2017

Musc Impérial by Atelier Cologne

Oh my, we have a scrubber! This doesn't happen to me very often, but this I have had to wash off about an hour after applying it.

Despite its name, Musc Imperial does not smell of musk to me, or maybe I never got to that part. It opened with a milky-fruity accord that reminds me of a virgin version of a tropical cocktail. After reading the notes, its probably the fig that's giving me this impression. Fig, especially when it's the creamy kind like in Philosykos, often gives me a pineapple and coconut association, and I usually like it. Here, however, it's become both sickly and watery, like someone attempting to make a Pina Colada with coconut flavored water and pineapple syrup rather than with the real deal.

This unfortunate fruity accord is made unbearable by something I would describe as an aquatic woody impression (think cheap mens' body spray) that increases in strength as time goes by. This squeaky clean accord merges with the faux cocktail and becomes a nausea inducing mess on my skin. I actually started to feel a bit queasy, so I tried to wash it off but it's quite persistent.

I layered a good spritz of Chanel Sycomore (blasphemy!) over it, which seems to mask the unpleasant olfactory remnants somewhat. Phew.

Compared to the rest of the Atelier Cologne's I've tried this is a big dud.
20th August, 2017

Blood Oranges by Shay & Blue

I'be had every intention of finding a fresh, zingy citrus scent this summer, but I somehow keep buying other things. In this case it's at least a citrus, so I'm counting it as half a win.

Anyway, Blood Oranges is not a particularly fresh citrus, but rather a warm, woody, radiant citrus. It opens with a burst of something that reminds me of fresh orange juice mixed with lime juice to give it kick, with a good dose of oily zest in there as well. I think the oiliness of this citrus accord gives it its longevity, which really is quite impressive. The natural smelling orange is set over a slightly synthetic wood, and the two notes compliment each other beautifully.

I personally don't get much of the leather others describe, but on the whole the woodiness does lean towards the masculine. The citrus and the subtle sweetness in the basenotes brings it back to unisex though.

It's one of the few citrus scents I know that seems perfect for fall/winter, which is why I think it deserves a place in my wardrobe.
18th August, 2017

Geste by Humiecki & Graef

This is an odd duck.

I get pine tree sap, bitter and resinous, over sweet amber and powdery violets. The pine note is quite promising, conjuring up brief flashes of summer in the south of France, pine trees around a lake in the high Alps, sunshine and the sound of crickets. However, the other notes don't seem to play well with this note, so the illusion never fully forms.

I keep smelling it, hoping it develops into something interesting, but it doesn't really go anywhere.

My rules for thumbs up, down or a neutral review are simple: if I never want to wear it again, it get's a thumbs down. If I want to finish the sample, but would not be tempted to buy more, it's a neutral. If I want to own the fragrance, it gets a thumbs up. This one sits between negative an neutral, but i'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Nope. I smell candy, and that's never a good thing in my book.

In this case, it's the sweet-tart smell of hard candy with a soft chewy center. It's quite purple smelling, which I at first associated with grapes, but I guess it's actually violet. Because of the tart notes I don't dislike it as much as I do most candy fragrances, but I still won't wear it again if I can help it.

Kiss Me Tender by Nicolaï

This smells like candy.

Sweet, sugary, factory produced candy with mountains of artificial flavourings. It reminds me of banana candy. Those small yellow banana's with that weird foamy, chewy texture, somewhere between hard and soft, the residu of which sticks to your teeth like it's nobody's business. I never liked banana flavoured things anyway. I don't want to eat this, I don't want to smell this, and I certainly don't want to smell like this.

The dry down gets a little better: a sweet vanilla and white flowers combo that reminds me of the dry down of Tom Ford Orchid Soleil. It doesn't save this fragrance though.

Scents like this annoy me.

Cardinal by Heeley

Cleanliness is next to godliness.

An early afternoon in a southern European country. You see a young man, not quite a cardinal yet (a priest perhaps?), walk through the dark halls of an abbey's courtyard, the cold stone floors smoothed with time. Fresh-faced, his white collar starched, a stack of books under his arm, absorbed in thought. Sunlight streams in from between the pillars, catching specs of dust in its golden beams. A still and peaceful scene.

Just when you are tempted to look away, the young priest breaks into a skip.

Private Collection - L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale

This scent was recommended to me in a thread about animalics, where I stated that one of my life goals is to find a fragrance that smells like the fur of my cat.

I find this scent doesn't literally capture what I was after, but it does so in spirit. First off, it's one of the first scents that really reads as seriously animalic to me, and I like it. It's not a dirty kind of animalic, but, like other reviewers have mentioned, it's intimate. The animalics remind me of my childhood somehow. I can't actively remember, but I feel like I must have been exposed to a few ladies who wore the big eighties powerhouses in my time. It gives me a pleasant sense of nostalgia.

Other than an animalic this is predominantly a vanilla scent to me. The vanilla is warm and deep, powdery and fuzzy, and it lingers on the skin for days.

I can go on about the notes, but let's not get bogged down in the details; this is first and foremost an emotional scent, which brings things back to my cat and his fur. One of life's greatest delights is burying my nose in his belly when he's sleeping with a conviction that seems exclusive to cats. This scent captures some of that bliss, wrapping me in a soft warm blanket of loveliness.

I don't particularly like vanilla scents, especially not in summer, but this is perfect.

07th July, 2017

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

My second favorite of the Jardin line.

It smells of figs and foliage, which immediately conjures up a vision of a Mediterranean garden baking in the afternoon sun. There's a bit of peppery bitterness that's very pleasant against the sweetness of the fig. I don't get much citrus.

The main issue I have with this fragrance is that it doesn't last on my skin, which is a problem I have with all the Jardins. I would, therefore, prefer Philosykos if I wanted a figs-in-a-garden type scent because it has a similar effect on me and it lasts much longer.

*edit: I changed my mind, drastically! I now actually like this scent better than Philosykos, because the greenness is much more pronounces in the Hermes offering, and the fig is not as milky/creamy, which suits me better. Weirdly enough, the more I keep trying it the longer it seems to last too, so good news all around.
17th June, 2017 (last edited: 21st August, 2017)

Gold Woman by Amouage

Gorgeous!

Based on the reviews and my life long love for Chanel no. 5 I was expecting to like this, and boy, do I!

It's a big, sophisticated, unapologetically glamorous super floral that envelops me in a golden cloud wherever I go. Some people describe it as very formal; a scent to wear when wrapped in furs on the way to the opera, but I can wear this anywhere, even when in tattered jeans and a t-shirt while doing the weekly grocery run. It provides instant fabulousness to the mundane, but it also has a bright, energetic, exuberant side that keeps to from going too serious for me.

For those who complain that modern day formulations lack strength, give this a try. 3 sprays will radiate a good few meters all day long. I can still smell it on a dress I've worn days ago when I enter my closet.

This has signature scent potential.

Edit: I've managed to find a bottle of this for about a third of the retail price. Good times!
17th June, 2017 (last edited: 28th June, 2017)

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

Ehrm, no. Just no. This is unwearable for me.

It opens up very very green, a bitter, wry vegetal green. Green scents are something I'm just getting used to, and this fragrance is too challenging for me. I'd need something fresh or acidic to be able to tolerate this kind of green, like Sisley Eau de Campagne which is just on the threshold of what I can manage. Instead, I get a candy sweet rose, and it just clashes with the greenness like it's nobody's business. The two components then proceed to fight for hours, rolling on the floor snarling and snapping at each other like angry dogs.

It's certainly not boring, but it's definitely not for me.

Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès

This is a great, slightly syrupy rendition of rhubarb with a bright lemon twist. I absentmindedly sprayed it in a card while in the shop, and was completely surprised by how rhubarb-y it was. The scent seemed quite familiar, and I quickly realised it smells a bit like a brighter, more acidic version of YSL Babydoll, sans the grapefruit, roses, and other flowers that scents has. The Hermes scent is much less pink and girly, but still quite fruity for a scent marketed as masculine.

I loved the rhubarb note so much that I asked for a sample, thinking I might be interested in this as a more grown up version of Babydoll, but unfortunately it does not last at all on my skin; after half an hour the rhubarb completely disappears. I won't be investing in a full bottle, but I'm happy to finish the sample.

Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès

I recently sampled the entire Jardin range, and this is my favourite.

It's a very vegetal fragrance, and quite abstract. I can't really make out any individual notes, but it strongly reminds me of lush, wet, green things. It also smells of skin that's been baking in the sun; a warm-but-fresh salty ozonic scent that immediately puts me in a good mood.

Together, the notes transport me to a perfect lazy afternoon on a warm summer's day. Lounging around in the back garden, laying in the shade of a tree next to the pond, reading a book, taking a nap, and doing absolutely nothing useful.

The only issue I have with this is that it doesn't last at all on my skin, but the effect it gives is so lovely that I may be tempted to buy a bottle and bring it with me everywhere I go. A perfect summer scent.

Salt Caramel by Shay & Blue

Salted caramel is possibly my favorite flavor in the world, so when I saw this fragrance existed I knew I had to try it. That being said: I really don't like gourmand fragrances, nor anything overly sweet (tobacco vanilla had me running for the hills, for instance), so I was about 90% sure that this would be completely unwearable.

Surprisingly, it is, and it isn't.

Like others have said, this fragrance offers a ridiculously accurate interpretation of salted caramel; thick, oozing, buttery, deep golden brown goodness. It's caramel taken right to the edge of bitterness, with a hefty dose of salt that just keeps the rich sweetness from teetering over the nauseating edge. The salt is really what makes this fragrance; I've never smelled a salt note like this before.

Real salted caramel is so glorious that I tend to dip my spoon in for "tasting" a few too many times when making it, but I've learned that more is not more with this stuff. The same is true for this fragrance. It's quite potent, so don't overspray, or you'll run the risk of feeling queasy all day.

After an hour or so the straight up foodiness turns a little more perfume like. There's a hint of sandalwood underneath the luxurious layer of liquid gold, but I also seem to detect something floral that reminds me of Tom Ford's Orchid scents. There are no florals in the note pyramid, so perhaps I'm imagining things, or the vanilla is playing tricks on me.

So, could I wear this? Technically yes. The photorealistic caramel makes me smile, and, when applied judiciously, it's not too overwhelmingly sweet. Would I wear this? Probably not very often. It's so realistic that it doesn't quite feel like a fragrance, and I would probably be a bit self-conscious wearing this around other people. However, I plan on trying to layer this with something dry and smokey (a sort of campfire-caramel experience), which could make this more wearable for me.

If you love caramel, or if gourmands are your jam, this is certainly worth a try!

14th February, 2017 (last edited: 15th February, 2017)

Blacks Club Leather by Shay & Blue

This fragrance is indeed like sinking into a big, comfortable club chair. Well-aged leather with a beautiful patina, and smooth, polished woods under your fingers. A drink in hand; something strong and no-nonsense, flavored with a piece of orange rind. The place is pleasantly crowded and buzzing with good energy, good conversation, and good music. The big fireplace bathes the room in its warm glow and casts a subtle veil of smoke.

I've recently spent a wonderful night in a place like this; a well-hidden speakeasy that served killer cocktails in a stylish, old school setting. The beauty of it was that it was cool and exclusive while still being relaxed and not overly pretentious. This fragrance takes me right back to that bar and I like it.

I like it so much that I bought a full 100 ml bottle, and that in a time where I've decided to only buy small decants of new fragrances from now because my collection is growing so rapidly.

The opening is quite strong, and the fragrance lasts a good six hours on me. After the first hour or so, it becomes softer and more mellow, making me feel like taking my heels off and curling up in that big leather chair. I feel right at home here.

14th February, 2017 (last edited: 15th February, 2017)

1740 Marquis de Sade by Histoires de Parfums

I was having high hopes for this one, but, unfortunately, it's not for me.

Straight from the first spray there is a strange and overpowering note that really doesn't sit well with me. It's probably the immortelle, and to me it smells like a high school science experiment gone wrong. When I was about 13 we had to heat up sugar in science class (I have no idea why) to the point where it melted, but the whole class decided to take it a few steps further. At first, the classroom smelled nice and caramelly, but that soon changed when we all burned our sugar to a tarry black crisp.

That's the association I have with this extremely dominant note, and I can't take it. It's a shame because the rest of the notes are quite lovely and right up my street: leather, boozy fruit, some honeyed spices (clove, most noticeably), some seriously funky animalics, what's not to love?

It almost works when I spray it very lightly onto a spot I can't get my nose directly on, like the back of my neck, but it will probably never be a fragrance I'll reach for.

28th January, 2017

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was looking for a fresh, green rose, which this definitely is not, but I've quickly become addicted to this unique scent.

To me, it smells like a rich, slightly tart, spicy rose syrup, with a firm, edgy hit of sharp ginger. There's no ginger in the notes, so it's probably a combination of red fruit and other spices that gives me this impression. Over time, the scent develops a more loukoum like character, with a dense, but transparent, jelly-like consistency. Throughout its development, this scent manages to perfectly balance acidity, sweetness, and sharpness. To me, it's a very edible rose, which is quite extraordinary because rose is a difficult flavor to successfully pull off in food.

Half a sample in, I strongly feel like I don't want to live without it. Its longevity is unbelievable, and one of the best things about this scent is that its character remains fully intact over time. Smelling it on my clothing the second day it's almost as strong, vibrant and sparkling as when I first sprayed it on.

It's prohibitively expensive, but well worth the money.
25th January, 2017

Chance Eau Vive by Chanel

I always dismissed the Chance line as the most generic, inoffensive-but-slightly-bland, forgettable of the Chanel sisters.

The regular Chance is still not my cup of tea, but I can say that the Eau Vive flanker is a genuine surprise to me. It's very fresh, clean (although my husband gets a sweaty note from it) bright scent that seems especially good for summer, but that I also reach for in these colder days whenever I want a break from my heavier, sweeter and spicier perfumes.

And what a nice break it turns out to be! On me, it's a succulent, green grapefruit with some jasmine on a soft musky base. The grapefruit is not sweet, not too tart, not too bitter, and it really, really sings.

The best way I can describe this fragrance is that it reminds me of a tall, cold glass of water with wedges of citrus and slices of cucumber floating around in it (you know, the kind they serve in a carafe in a fancy spa), and it has a wet, thirst quenching quality about it that is just so moreish.

I've about 6 samples of this fragrance which will probably get me through winter, but come spring, I'm pretty sure I'll go back for a full bottle.
02nd November, 2016

Mitsouko by Guerlain

This one crept up on me. I got myself a 2 ml sample of the EdT because I wanted to explore some of the classic Guerlain fragrances. I did not expect to really love it, but it did sound interesting, and I thought it might help me understand what a chypre smells like.

On the first try I did not even know whether I liked it or not. Compared to most of my (rather Chanel heavy) fragrance collection, this one smelled a little odd, a bit difficult, slightly off even. It did, however, smell interesting, not generic, and certainly not boring, and somehow I kept going back to that sample to try some more.

It took me a few wears to distinguish and label the different notes I smelled. I definitely get peach. It's not a bright and sunny peach, but more of a mysterious dark peach. I also get a little of the jasmine and some subtle woods in the base, but neither of these notes are the star of the show.

The real defining note for me is what I've been lovingly calling the Guerlain funk. In the case of Mitsouko, it's a stale-flower-vase-water funk; vegetal, fuzzy and cool. It gives this fragrance a deep dark, murky green feel. This might sound unattractive, but it isn't. Combined with the dark gold sparkle of the peach, it transports me to a shadowy pond in a enchanted forest, where frogs just may transform into princes.

And by the time I used the last of my 2 ml sample I felt sad that I would now be without this fragrance, so I bought a full bottle.

I have the sneaking suspicion that I'll continue to like this more the more I wear it.

02nd November, 2016

Bois des Îles Parfum by Chanel

I blind bought a decant of this when I just started learning about fragrances. It wasn't a big leap of faith; I have worn and loved Chanel No.5 since my mid teens, and I had just smelled and fallen for Egoiste in my local perfumery, so when I read some reviews saying Bois des Iles lies somewhere between those two, I was pretty convinced I would love this fragrance.

Upon trying this-perhaps due to those reviews- this is exactly what I got: something halfway between Egoiste and No. 5. Absolutely lovely, but at that stage I was wondering if my very limited fragrance collection was in need of something that, at the time, seemed a subtle variation on what I already had rather than a distinctly different fragrance.

Well, 2 months later, I changed my mind. I have been gently, but firmly won over by this scent. The more I smell it, the more I see its resemblance to its offspring Egoiste. However, the differences have also become increasingly apparent.

Let's compare them both to food.

Egoiste is the most delicious slice of cake at you favorite local bakery. It's an excellent bakery, that uses only the highest quality organic ingredients. The resulting product is sweet, rich, and warm, yet light and perfectly balanced, like a clear golden brown syrup infused with woody spices. It's the kind of delicacy that you treat your friends to when they're in town, and something you come back for time and time again.

Bois des Iles is that same cake, but made by a 3 Michelin star chef. It's a cake, but it's so much more. It's much more subtle and far more complex. The same sweet woody spices are treated with a lighter hand here, and they have been delicately layered with fragrant florals and a hint of the richest cream. It's at the same time more restrained and more surprising to the palate, both familiar and distinctive. It's the kind of desert that brings tears to your eyes when you eat it, because it is such an expression of skill and beauty.

Needless to say that I have now fully realized that I need a full bottle of this pronto, and that having both Egoiste and Bois des Iles in my very small collection is absolutely necessary.

I think this is an excellent fall/winter fragrance, but I'll probably wear this just as happily in hot weather.

If you are interested in this fragrance, but don't have easy access to a vendor to test it, try Egoiste and try No. 5. If you love both of these, I can pretty much guarantee that you'll love this with a passion!

It has a subtle sillage, and moderate longevity.

11th October, 2016

No. 19 by Chanel

Oh No. 19, what a surprise you turned out to be!

I distinctly remember sniffing this scent in my younger years. I had just fallen in love with No. 5, and very curious about Chanel's other offerings. It's not an overstatement to say that I severely disliked No. 19 then; harsh, green, dry, and so much less friendly to my nose than her older sister. I never gave her a second glance.

Fast forward 20 years, and I'm newly embarking on a journey to expand my meager fragrance collection and educate my nose. Upon reading around here, I felt the need to revisit this scent, if only to find out my current tolerance for the wryer, greener side of the fragrance worlds.

Upon spraying this on a tester strip, I was met with the same sharp, somewhat harsh green notes I remembered, but for some reason they now seemed intriguing and a little less hostile.

Perhaps it's my years of exposure to the Chanel DNA present in No. 5, or perhaps the years have made me less frightened and more accepting of the less warm and fuzzy parts of my own personality, but I felt like this fragrance warranted a test wear.

I'm glad I did give it a second chance, because the more often I wear it (the SAs in my local perfume store are starting to look at me funny), the more I like it.

On my skin, the harshness that is present on the tester strip is almost completely absent. In its stead I get a dry, unapologetic iris, and a sharply clear version of that soapy note present in so many Chanels. The effect is cool, crystalline, and energizing, and I understand why people associate this fragrance with powerful business women/men and a take-no-prisoners attitude. And that's just what I was missing in my fragrance wardrobe.

For me, this is an instant confidence booster, and a way to highlight a part of my personality that I'm only now beginning to discover.

I'm definitely going for a full bottle of the EdP soon.

I find the EdP stronger and more fierce than the EdT, unlike most reviewers seem to do. Longevity and sillage are quite good!

07th October, 2016

Cuir de Russie Parfum by Chanel

Yesterday, I marched my behind down to my local Chanel store to try the Les Exclusifs line, since it is rumored that new EdPs will soon replace the current EdTs. I figured that falling in love with the EdTs would be a less costly affair than falling for their more expensive EdP counterparts, so off to Amsterdam I went.

I must admit, I seem to have a bit of a thing for Chanel. Ever since starting out on my journey to discover the world of perfume a few months ago, I have made it a point to sniff most of the great (designer) houses, so I've made regular stops to smell the offerings of Hermes, Guerlain, Dior, Tom Ford, and so on. Of all these houses, some scents I hated, some I liked, and a few I loved. However, the only brand that seems to be able to truly and consistently move me is Chanel.

It may be due to the fact that No. 5 has been pretty much the only scent I've worn since I was 15, and the Chanel DNA has been deeply ingrained in my neural pathways, or it may be something else entirely, but this brand's scents seem to agree with me.

So, based on reviews and notes, I checked out my personal shortlist of Les Exclusifs at the store. Cuir de Russie was high on that list, and boy did it deliver! Shortly after spritzing it on my wrist, I knew I would not leave the store without it.

On me, it bursts out of the gates with sparkling citrus y freshness and a woody, leathery warmth. The leather soon grows stronger, and becomes the undisputed heart of the scent.

I also get something ever so slightly dirty; not the stable like dirt some others describe, but something sensual and physical nonetheless. When my husbands first smelled it on me, he said: well, there's the sex you've been looking for in a scent. Right on the money. It's a restrained kind of sexy, and it never gets raunchy, but it's an excellent and warm addition to an otherwise supremely classy and luxurious scent.

The leather I get is of the highest quality, think supple lambskin gloves, or a pair of the finest calfskin heels.

I think this perfume is perfectly unisex, but my husband seems to think it's rather masculine. Normally not one to quickly warm to any scent, he immediately decided that this is one fragrance he is going to steal from me ever now and then. I knew should have gone for the bigger bottle.
24th September, 2016

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

lauded as The tuberose scent here, I decided to try carnal flower after I fell hard for another tuberose delight: Tom Ford's orchid soleil.

Turns out my tuberose tolerance lies just before this fragrance. It's absolutely beautiful, but somehow a bit too much for me. I now understand why people find tuberose headache inducing: it's a particularly strong note.

Smelling the vial (I do that, don't judge), it smelled absolutely heavenly, and it had a tinge of something green through the wonderful white flowers. On my skin, however, the tuberose developed in all its glory, with that kind of a plasticy/rubbery feel to it that some people describe as typical for this flower.

Like others have stated before me, this perfume is big as a house. Luckily, when I applied it I stopped after the first spritz, otherwise it would surely have overwhelmed me. The scent projects and lingers full throttle for at least 5 hours, and whenever I moved my left hand I got this big waft of it. Weirdly enough, I like this scent better when I smell it up close than when I smell it as a cloud that envelopes me.

In all, I think for now this perfume may have a tendency to wear me, instead of me wearing it, so I'll save the rest of my tester for those special occasions when I want to feel like a total diva. Only Marilyn Monroe could wear this scent in a professional setting. For an everyday tuberose I'll stick to my orchid soleil.

08th September, 2016

Spicebomb Extreme by Viktor & Rolf

This is a warm, sweet spicy scent that is totally wearable for both men and women. I would describe as a dry kind of sweet, as opposed to the oozy, syrupy sweetness of, let's say Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

To me, it smells like a gourmand. I'm not quite sure what food would smell like this, but I'm imagining a warm, wintery, cookie type dish.

The spices I get are things like cardamom, cinnamon, dried ginger and so on, and they are blended onto a faint leathery or tobacco like base. I really like that base, and I wish it was stronger because it provides a masculine touch in all that sweetness. I also seemed to get tiny little hints of a sweaty note that I find quite attractive.

This scent is quite close to the original spicebomb, but it's much stronger, and much better blended. The original one feels a bit watery and mismatched to me.

When I first smelled this on the strip, I really got excited about it. I'm normally a flowery kind of girl, and this was something completely different. Thus far, spicy oriental perfumes (from the women's side of the isle) always scared me a little because they can be so strong and cloying, but this, perhaps because it's a men's scent, seemed very attractive.

I say seemed to, because when I tried it on my skin, I came to the conclusion that I cannot wear this. It's very, very strong, and projects like crazy. For the first two hours (most of which I spent outside), I actually liked it and found it quite exciting, but after two hours (and after going indoors), it started to bother me. It just seemed to be everywhere I turned, I couldn't get away from the smell. Although I still loved the scent, it became a little too edible and sweet for me. I guess too edible is a deal breaker for me; I can't handle complete gourmands. If the tobacco/leather or the cumin notes would have been stronger I might have loved this scent, but as is, it's not for me.

In the end, I tried to wash it off, but even two rounds of scrubbing did not completely remove it. For people looking for a strong and long lasting sweet spicy fragrance, this is the one for you!

07th September, 2016

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Oooh I love this! It's the perfect sweet but not too sweet, spicy, woody fragrance with just a hint of masculinity that I was craving from all the feminine woody orientals I've tried and written off.

I love that it manages to do warm and sweet without becoming too gourmand and overbearing, which Tom Ford's Black Orchid and Victor & Rolf's Spice Bomb were for me. With those fragrances, I was intrigued and excited for the first two hours of wear, but after that they became way too edible and unremittingly sweet for me; I became desperate for a very stiff gin and tonic, a bite of a fresh lime, bacon, a campfire, anything to relieve me of that syrupy sweetness.

Not so much with Egoiste, its sweetness is beautifully balanced and so, so sophisticated. It's so incredibly Chanel. I kept putting my nose to my forearm and inhaling deeply, aaaahhhh, bliss! I'd want to bath in this stuff it's so scrumptious.

I now have a sample, and have only managed to hold of from buying a bottle because I'm waiting for a sample of Bois des Iles, which, according to the reviewers here, should be even better. I can hardly imagine it.
02nd September, 2016

Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford

While searching for a deep, dark, sexy oriental I wandered over to the Tom Ford counter to try Black Orchid, and picked up this baby. I'd say it's only vaguely reminiscent of BO, and it's certainly not what I came for, but it is brilliant!

I'd say this is a warm, creamy floral, with some of the gourmand sweetness of its mother. It starts unexpectedly with a combination of freshness (citrus peel like) and sharpness (the pepper I presume) in combination with the heady, dirty sweetness of white flowers. You really get both scents rather loudly at the same time, which is a strange combination and made me jerk my head back from my arm for a moment, because I was expecting something syrupy sweet like BO.

The flower scent quickly drew me back in though. I got intense jasmine from it, like walking past a garden full of the stuff on an early September evening in some Mediterranean country. It had that moist, dirty undertone of decay that I hate in lilies, but love in jasmine. As the scent developed I felt like I was rolling in a jasmine bush and the exuberance of it made me so happy!

Looking at the fragrance notes, it's probably tuberose/lily that I'm smelling here, rather than jasmine. Heaving never smelled tuberose in the flesh, I can't say for sure, but I'll make it a point to smell one soon, because I have the sneaking suspicion that I'll love that note (someone described it as badly behaved jasmine on steroids, sounds right up my ally!).

The fresh/sharp top notes do not linger long, but they do provide a lightness that make this scent summery, rather than oppressive or heavy.

After two hours or so, the scent calmed down a little, and creamy edible notes (nuts and vanilla) started to come through. It also became less projected and lingered closer to my skin. I wish it didn't, because I kind of liked the explosiveness of the beginning.

Unfortunately, after 3 hours the jasmine slowly died, leaving a soft, demure scent, like a dainty vanilla custard cake. It's pleasant and warm, but it lacks the power and flowery goodness that made me so happy.

Still, I think this is a really delicious floral (I don't get the oriental much, unless it's the vanilla note), with enough going on to make it interesting. I have a sample and will see if and how I can make it last longer. If I can increase the longevity I'll definitely buy this!

Projection: starts powerful but quickly withdraws
Lasts frustratingly short.