Reviews by Alex Krycek

Every Storm A Serenade by Imaginary Authors

I like how this wears.

I just can't really describe this one at the moment.

Really beautiful accord.
18th January, 2018 (last edited: 21st January, 2018)

The Scent Of Peace For Him by Bond No. 9

I'm fond of this one.

I have a feeling it will always be in at least my Top 5.

I find the performance to be very impressive.

And, it also gets positive reactions.
06th January, 2018

Sauvage by Christian Dior

I've got good feelings about the House of Dior.

I'm very fond of Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Eau and, yep, Sauvage.

Sauvage gets slammed a lot on here, but look... why does Sauvage generate so much controversy?

I'm serious... why?

To me, it smells good. And, others say the same when I'm wearing it.

That's sort of what it comes down to, right?
28th December, 2017

Aoud Violet by Mancera

What a beautiful treatment of violet.

I'd say this happy scent will beautifully correspond with any joyous event in your life.

I realize that may sound somewhat corny, but this is just really nice stuff!
16th November, 2017

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

This is one of the best things I've ever smelled. I do not find it versatile.

For me, cooler temperatures and noteworthy occasions are what I need for Jubi to shine brightest.

I won't try to describe the complex accord because I can't. The other reviewers are much better at putting this into words.
14th November, 2017

Brussels Sprouted by Smell Bent

I agree with rogalal: "...it's actually a very nice patchouli with lots of interesting things happening."

This reminds me a bit of Smell Bent's Green Patchouli: this one, though, seems a bit darker and blurrier.

Overall, a very pleasant scent. Projection could be stronger.

I like it.
23rd October, 2017

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

I've worn this for around 20 years now.This one is hard for me to put into words.

Let me just say...masterpiece.

18th October, 2017

Himalaya by Creed

Great stuff. It reminds me of a slightly subdued and soapy version of Silver Mountain Water (which I love).
14th October, 2017

TH Bold by Tommy Hilfiger

I agree with Andrewthecologneguy's description of this.

I'm also somewhat surprised by how much I enjoy this one...particularly the opening grapefruit notes...
13th October, 2017

Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

This is one of the more complicated and unusual scents I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

It can give varying looks at different stages...and, similar to something like Memoir, a little imagination can take you places.

Artistically speaking, OM is a fine accomplishment in my opinion.

I can get an industrial machine shop, ocean, chocolate factory and more from this one...

Very interesting scent.
05th October, 2017

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Love this stuff. It took me a little bit to appreciate just how interesting it is...

Strangely enough, at first it seemed linear to me.

I don't know how I had that impression. The way this scent changes with time is a big part of what I like about it.

The actual accord is difficult to describe. But, for me, it definitely conjures boardwalk/twilight imagery.

This is one I'll always have in the collection.

I do think the projection/longevity could be better, but I just go a bit heavy with the sprays.
23rd June, 2017

Shelter Island by Bond No. 9

I just started testing this one out.

After reading the other reviews, I feel like I'm missing the experience.

So, that's on me...

I'm not really getting Coppertone, lilies, ocean, oud...

Somebody mentioned lemon-pepper mix, and after smelling it with that in mind, I do get that...

This one reminds me a lot of Bond's Signature but just a bit more rough around the edges.

Thus far, this has eight reviews: and, they're all positive ratings.

I kind of hate to do this, but for honesty's sake, I have to go neutral on this one.

I'll spend more time with it and update here if it's warranted.
30th March, 2017

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

I'm giving this a neutral because I only wore it once and maybe I'm not that confident in my own opinion.

I got a sharp hairspray sort of synthetic fruitiness that was loud.

It didn't work for me.

I will probably revisit this at some point, but I don't imagine that will be any time soon.
21st February, 2017

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

For me, this opens hard with the licorice, lavender, star anise and a touch of vanilla. Real hard.

Then bam! It goes powdery.

I don't get much citrus, bergamot, grapefruit, etc.

This is another scent that I appreciate for its unambiguous masculinity.

And, this is my first experience with 1725. I think I like it.
17th February, 2017

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

I find this rather brilliant conceptually. It does, for me, capture the whole fat electrician vibe along with that burnt wiring smell.

I'm really somewhat amazed by the cleverness behind this.

Longevity seems good. The projection seems moderate.

At the moment, I don't think this is a fragrance I'd want to wear often. Thus, I don't believe I'd purchase a full bottle.

But, I do definitely appreciate what these folks have accomplished with this as artwork.
14th February, 2017

I Love New York for Fathers by Bond No. 9

I've been really enjoying this one. I don't have the ability to describe it with sophistication.

To me it's just a really interesting and complex type of musk scent that feels appropriate for a dad!

I also this evening sprayed I Love New York For Him over top of it, and I like the effect quite a bit.

Great stuff.
10th February, 2017

I Love NY for All by Bond No. 9

Honestly, I love this more than I expected.

I blind bought it because it was a great deal, and I'm fond of some other Bond fragrances.

And, from the reviews, I did expect to like it in the same way I like things like New Haarlem, Rochas Man and the like.

Oh, ILNYFA is fantastic stuff.

It ultimately settles down, for me, into an accord of cocoa, chocolate milk, coffee and vanilla that just smells so appealing to me.

The opening---again, for me---has a root beer fizz quality... and, just really enjoyable!

So glad I took a chance on this one.
06th February, 2017

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

I absolutely love the tea!

Personally, I find this has good longevity also.

I am not a fragrance expert. Just a guy who really enjoys that tea note!

So glad to have a bottle of this good stuff.
30th January, 2017

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

As others have suggested, it's perhaps unfortunate that this has Fahrenheit in its name because that naturally draws comparison.

I agree that it's best to think of this as its own scent.

And, I've come to like it a lot.

It took multiple wearings, but this is great stuff: that orange/vanilla type accord really works for me.

Thanks
28th January, 2017

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I've come to really appreciate and love Rive Gauche. It took some repeated wearings for me.

Just as everyone mentions, you get this wonderful shaving cream vibe!

It projects well. It lasts all day.

Just fantastic. I have the skinny can. Love it!
05th January, 2017

Al Wisam Day by Rasasi

I've really come to love this stuff. It's similar to Bond Hamptons.

After using Al Wisam Day, I'd have a hard time justifying the greater expense of the Bond or Creed's SMW.

One thing I've learned: take it easy with the sprays with this one. Sometimes, I might not detect it too strongly, but this baby projects... and, it lasts!

4/14/2017: I bought the Bond anyway. It's slightly different, and I also like it a lot.

Still love Al Wisam Day. Great stuff!

6/19/2017: After spending more time with this, I can say it's actually quite different from Hamptons.

It took me some time to understand these scents.

I like them both quite a lot.

1/5/2018 Update: I've been meaning to say that after spending time with all of the above (plus Mancera Wild Fruits), my favorite is Silver Mountain Water, and I do feel it's worth the extra expense.
29th December, 2016 (last edited: 06th January, 2018)

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Rick's description: "woody/mossy/aromatic old-fashioned masculine fragrances" ... That seems like a great way to quickly describe One Man Show: better than I would have done, so I quoted it.

For me, this fragrance isn't about individual notes. Rather, it's an accord to me. And, that accord is... manly!

That may sound funny...perhaps even old-fashioned... but, there ain't nothing unisex about this offering.

I like it. One thing: others have described this as being "beast mode" and terribly strong, etc. I just got this the other day, and that hasn't been my experience at all.

I put on 3 sprays and I don't feel like I'm overwhelming anyone.
29th December, 2016

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

The more I use this, the more I realize the conceptual brilliance of this juice.

The idea of giving Fahrenheit aquatic qualities: it doesn't seem like it could be possible; yet, it works.

And, I LOVE the opening.
18th September, 2016

Italian Bergamot by Ermenegildo Zegna

This is gorgeous stuff. I can't even come close to describing in the manner of Darvant and company.

I just wanted to say this is a beautiful orange smell... it doesn't seem like there's anything unnecessary... just everything stripped down to the necessary elements.
17th September, 2016