Reviews by williamroe

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

I tend to associate fragrances with music (combining the senses of smell & sound). I am also not sure how relatable my associations are, so take it for what it is worth. Terre D’Hermes reminds me of the be-bop jazz album Blue Train by John Coltrane. It’s sophisticated but different. Abstract but easy to take in. It doesn’t go leaps and bounds in trying to overpower or “wow” anyone around. Its draw is in subtlety -- quiet yet abstract. Orange smelling but not sweet. Classic yet modern.

Terre D’Hermes is the best “earthy citrus” on the market, in my eyes (beating Le Labo’s Bergamote 22 – a close second). Someone described this as smelling of a “dirty orange” – and I completely agree. It is aptly named. Although this works well in any season, I wear it as my signature in the Spring. After a long cold winter, I enjoy pulling out the smell of new earth, coupled with fruity citrus. It’s a "Here Comes the Sun" kind of feeling when spring begins and I begin to wear this fragrance again. It’s not completely summer…but it gets me ready for the transition of spring by reminding me of the new birth taking place in the warming soil. The dirt yielding new fruits and plants.

The EDP is heavier on the “orangeness” to my nose. It starts with the orange blast (and grapefruit is detected) – and immediately you pick up on the peppery/earthy notes. The earthy notes are layered. I pick up on vetiver, minerals, and even a smell of soil. The peppery mineral-like earth accord (coupled with the Vetiver) is also perfect for the office. If you want a true signature that will be remembered, this is it. Like Blue Train, it is abstract enough to be remembered, but generally not threatening or offensive to anyone. People MAY be put off or curious about it at first, but the longer the association with your smell, the more drawn by it and familiar with it they become (also like the jazz album).

The fragrance stays pretty linear with these orange/peppery/vetiver notes. However, if there are any basenotes to describe or detect at all – they would be the earthy smell of minerals gunpowder that remain on the skin (more prevelant in the EDT but definitely present in the EDP as well). It’s hard to describe it, you just have to experience it….

Longevity and projection are perfect. BUT… my only complaint of this fragrance is the olfactory fatigue that kicks in and prevents me from enjoying this gem on a day to day basis. Since this is my signature scent for the spring, I have to take a break for a week or so and “re-trick” my nose into detecting the smell (which is okay, because I use that time to enjoy Creed’s Green Irish Tweed during those weeks!). It is a shame about the olfactory fatigue though…

All in all, this one is near perfect. A modern classic!
9.5/10 (only because of the olfactory fatigue)
19th January, 2017

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Picture a bunch of Adam Levine fans in a room together. Now picture a Bruce Springsteen fan coming in and wedging himself in the middle of the Levine fans. This is what I see when noticing Fahrenheit among the other colognes at the tester counter at Macy’s.

Fahrenheit is a classic of the old school style, but it’s “classic" nature is timeless and is what makes it so enduring and timeless. It’s like Uncle Jesse or Fonzie. Who wouldn’t think these guys aren’t cool anymore?

Fahrenheit is my signature scent for the fall. I wear it every day from October through November. And I never tire of it. Or get fatigued from it. It’s just that great.
The petroleum smell is there, sure. It’s a gasoline smell of 1988 to be sure, but it transcends that era and fits into the modern age. The gasoline (of whatever combination of notes creates the effect) does not overpower, it makes its grand entrance on center stage – does its solo number under the spot light for about 1 hour, and then dutifully slips back in the chorus with all the other notes. And the other notes? Awesome. Every day I smell something different. Some days I get a whiff of nutmeg (which is why this fits squarely in Fall to my nose) Some days the leather shines throughout. Others, the floral creeps in and takes a solo. It’s as if this was some kind of jazz track, with the petroleum note starting off and each notes taking turns coming in to take a stab at the main melody. And the main melody? The sum of all notes that is Fahrenheit.

I have tried to dissect the notes (as I just tried now) and it always leaves me feeling I didn't do it justice. Fahrenheit is truly the sum of all parts. It’s not a "gasoline" scent. It’s not a "leather" scent. It’s Fahrenheit. You can’t analyze the humor of a good joke and well, sometimes you can’t really take apart the greatness of a master fragrance blend.

So I'll just say that the reason why this is such a great fragrance... is that it smells like Fahrenheit.

Well done!
12th January, 2017 (last edited: 13th January, 2017)