Reviews by inasia69

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Amazing intensity, quality and my favorite from Nasomatto with Duro a close second.
Landshark described it perfectly, I don't have much to add.
Probably not the most versatile fragrance out there and definitely not work safe unless you work in a coffee shop in Amsterdam or undercover at a Phish concert.

One of my guilty pleasure scents.
15th October, 2017

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella

One of the top choices along with Odori Tobacco for a tobacco focused fragrance. I detect a bit of powder, semi sweet , moist cigar tobacco with no other main notes (Musk, Fruit, Liquor) to distract from this lovely scent. This is much more wearable than TF Tobacco Oud and not as linear a fragrance I have sadly finished my decant and I will probably purchase a full bottle of this.
22nd August, 2017

Javanese Patchouli by Ermenegildo Zegna

This fragrance really got me the first time I smelled it. I first tested Javanese Patchouli where I used to buy all my fragrances, at the duty free shop in the airport wasting time before I catch a flight. Wandering around and just smelling the usual suspects they have at these shops I found this in a bit out of the way corner of the store and of everything I smelled, this really stood out.

I remember first smelling the scent of patchouli wafting around the sidewalks in Haight Ashbury San Fransisco where the bohemian culture thrives, this reminds me of those scents and I like that.

J.P. is clean, with very clear woody patchouli notes throughout, I detect slight citrus and pepper in the opening with the woods emerging a bit in the dry down.

In the day of safe gourmand metrosexual scents J.P. is a great change of pace for my nose.

I have quite a few patchouli dominated scents and this is my favorite, I can wear it with a suit to change things up as it’s not a sillage beast, my only small complaint is the longevity for me as it last about 3 hours on my skin and it’s a bit expensive.

I will buy another backup bottle as I’m not sure this is a popular scent right now and I will always want this in my collection, it’s quite unique.

17th February, 2017

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

I have now worn this about 5 times to get an accurate feel for this great fragrance. I split my collection up with work/daytime scents and night time gourmands, vintage power scents and the freaky stuff. This is a great work scent and nobody has recoiled to the corner of the elevator and sneezed when I get on.

My body usually eats citrus up and leaves just a faint skin scent (looking at you Aventus) so as I sit at my desk I enjoy the moderate sillage that wafts up my shirt. I haven't received any compliments yet but I'm waiting for them.

The note paramid is fairly accurate but I don't really get much wood at the base however I thoroughly enjoy the mineral notes in the heart along with a slight smokiness to the deep citrus.

Is it a masterpiece of perfumery? Not quite, the fragrance dosen't really evolve quite much but the longevity is quite good for this type of fragrance (citrus).

A fantastic work and daytime scent and worthy of a back up bottle for me.
02nd February, 2017

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I purchased this online and it was quite cheap as a package with the deodorant and I'm glad I did, the deodorant is quite nice.

With IFRA and reformulations I don't think this is fair to review what I smelled, but I will. What I smelled was a mosh of synthetics that combined to form a neutered masculine that is just a just a shell of the DN I know of. Was it ever a great fragrance worthy of it's notoriety? Not sure but today I don't really see why someone would purchase this....unless you get the deodorant with it.
02nd February, 2017

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

At the beginning I'm a bit put off with a strong synthetic opening that can easily overcome with liberal application.

This is now my third time wearing this as I write, I've learned to not spray it too high on my neck and chest. It has good longevity and decent sillage and makes for a safe work scent, similar to a GIT with less iris notes and quality as this just oozes synthetics.

Not a tragic scent by any means or one I would buy again, but it's set up to fail in my expectations as it's not even close to reaching the lofty acclaim set forth by Mr. Turin, IMHO.

If you don't have GIT or vintage cool water and want to smell what an overdose of calone and hedione is try it.

01st February, 2017

Yohji Homme by Yohji Yamamoto

Sadly for me the scent does not perform or last very long at all, I had high expectations. Perhaps the bottle I have might be a bit faded or compromised.
To me this seems like a weak gourmand scent.
30th January, 2017

Moschino pour Homme by Moschino

One of the best in my collection, a great complex leather that is sophisticated, strong and virile. Previous notes descriptions are accurate along with very good projection and longevity.

I purchased a new in box sealed 100ml and the bottle is quite odd it's a vise versa bottle so it looks like it has a sprayer on both sides therefore can only be stored laying sideways. I keep it in it's box so it's not really a problem but not really practical, maybe a future collectable?

The last thing that I should mention is this is available at less than $1 per ml which is a steal and I'm sure this will be a sought after almost holy grail purchase in the future. Surprised it dosen't get more buzz from the community.
29th January, 2017

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

The quality, sillage and projection is really excellent with this fragrance and it's a great daytime work scent.

Cool water is very close to GIT with the former having less flower accords and adding a slight chlorinated water scent. I think if someone were to buy vintage cool water they would get very close to the same effect with less performance thus offering better value for money.

I don't regret buying it but in this day and age there are more interesting scents out there.
28th January, 2017 (last edited: 29th January, 2017)

At The Beach 1966 by CB I Hate Perfume

This is a scent for me that evokes memories of my childhood sitting in the back of my parents big station wagon going for a day on the beach and I've slathered on Coppertone oil from head to toe and I'm excited that I'm going somewhere with my friends and we are going to have fun. In this context I think it is a really very interesting scent.

What Mr. Brosius has done is create an almost identical or better recreation of the old Coppertone oil from that period that is probably more appreciated by people that remember that scent.

Perfectly unisex that would suit someone going outside during the weekend with a surprisingly long skin scent time for a water based perfume. Moderate sillage detected, quite linear with restrained floral notes arising near the end but never too feminine.
Probably not for the office or formal evenings in the city so this full bottle should last me forever and I'm glad I have it.

27th January, 2017

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I have also read the very informative blog "Raiders of the Lost Scent" to guide me for Fahrenheit and Kouros. In this time I now have acquired 4 vintage Kouros from the early vintage through to the pre gucci era. I have not tried the recent versions. The bottles all smell very similar with the earliest one a bit more shrill to me (thats how I perceive this civet for lack of a better vocabulary).

In my vintage collection there are some scents which I feel are timeless and some seem dated as in the accurate reflection of the time they were produced and represent. Kouros is the latter, it represents the glorious 80's bold and masculine and very loud.

I don't think I could wear this now, at work, at night in public, or even in bed wanting to wear something cozy. For me this is a one spray fragrance, right on the chest while I slip on my 3rd gold chain necklace. I will keeping trying to wear it and enjoy it but it's challenging.

I don't mean it smells badly to me but the projection and sillage and one of a kind scent are truly amazing and polarizing which reflect on the quality of ingredients and the genius behind it.

One of the great reference mens scents of 80's IMHO and a must buy (vintage) for the serious collector.
Put it on the wall and admire it but wear it at your own risk.
18th January, 2017 (last edited: 29th January, 2017)

Yatagan by Caron

I have the vintage version with the red label and would not recommend buying the new version. I don't think anyone would produce this scent these days, it's not sweet, aquatic, fresh, or has oud.

This is dry, intensely herbal with pine, woodworm and concentrated celery notes. I get none of the musky, dirty or animalistic aromas just mostly wood and herbs.

If I were to blind smell this I think I could pick this out of a large crowd it is very different. It might not appeal to many and it's a mature, outdoorsy scent with sillage and projection that is outstanding depending on your environment.

Very polarizing and a must for serious collector.

09th January, 2017 (last edited: 29th January, 2017)