Reviews by Hugh V.

Horizon by Guy Laroche

From the design of the bottle, to the advertising campaign, I was thinking this was going to be very fresh, and maybe even similar to Davidoff's Cool Water.
It isn't.
Yes, there IS a watery note/vibe here. When smelling this, it first feels refreshing because it's like inhaling a watery mist. The problem for me though, is the prominent herbal medley of thyme, fennel and black pepper. It's a slight bit of freshness, and a whole lot of brittle dried goods. The latter is mostly what this fragrance is made of, and it's not something I would like to wear, or smell on others.
And I'm not against herbal-smelling fragrances. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany are both excellent. But this one, not so much.
This is very similar to Calvin Klein's Escape, except that one has no freshness or water aspect.
This is a unique composition but ultimately it's a dislike.
31st October, 2017

Santos by Cartier

I had the privilege of trying vintage Santos a ways back. I remember it being a very rich smelling fragrance, sophisticated, complex...it had a lot going on.
I recently tried one of the new formulations, the second to last one that has the integrated atomizer.
First impression is that it smells cheaper and a little crude. A very dry smelling fragrance and to me, this formulation is just very overbearing without any sexy, redeeming qualities, unlike the original.
Even if I weren't comparing it to the vintage I don't think this is a very good EdT.
I tried Antaeus recently, a men's cologne that shares the same lane as Santos, and although not for me, I respect it more, and it seems like that one has more character and a little more refinement than Santos.

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

The opening is great. It's kind of like an aquatic mixed with something a little more throwback...think New West. If it could stay more linear I would give it a thumbs up. But when it does dry down, it's something completely different, and inferior in my opinion. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say the dry down is "generic" but it's pretty uninteresting and not that great. And it has very poor longevity.

Royal_Oud mentions that it smells like Drakkar Noir. I like Drakkar Noir, and while this scent reminds me of that era, I don't notice the similarity.

Akthar Noir by Preferred Fragrance

Is this closer to vintage Drakkar Noir than current, reformulated Drakkar Noir?
I've no clue, as I've never had the privilege of trying the vintage.

But I can tell you that Akthar Noir starts out smelling nearly identical to current Drakkar Noir. It's the familiar Lemon Pledge for a minute than the dry down hits and you get a hint of this velvet smoothness that comes across much nicer than the crude dry down of actual Drakkar.
The problem is that there's this strong, melted plastic note to it. It's not pleasant at all, and smells like you're wearing some kind of solvent. That plastic note is really dominant.
I've tried quite a few of the Drakkar Noir clones and this is probably the worst and cheapest smelling.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Fell in love with this instantly.
This is a bit of dry fragrance, first impression is that it smells like some expensive wood furniture and a bit of gasoline. I don't even like dry OR woody smelling cologne but that gasoline note is what makes this great.
What I most like about Dior's Fahrenheit is that it's so different from the powerhouses of the 80s, the fresh aquatics of the mid 90s, and the sugar sweets of the '10s.
A true masterpiece of masculine originality.
While this is ever so slightly dated, reminding me of the mid-to-late 90s for some reason, it doesn't feel like old-man cologne to me, not at all. It's very stylish and modern in my opinion.
It's a love it or hate it fragrance, and because of that, it's not an easy one to wear.

17th October, 2017

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Smells dry and brittle.
I don't smell fruit or anything aquatic. This is just bad in my opinion.
I was thinking this would be similar to Eternity...boy was I wrong.

This smells very similar to Guy La Roche's Horizon. Before I tried either one of them, I saw people describe them as having an oceanic/beach-like quality. I assumed that meant it was fresh and aquatic...I'm guessing that description means you smell like you were bathing in salt water. Maybe.
More herbal and dry, nothing coming close to being watery in my opinion.

I now know why CK has a bad reputation in the fragrance community.
17th October, 2017

Quorum by Antonio Puig

In my fragrance journey for something awesome from the powerhouse era I found Quorum.
Like most cologne, the initial opening is nice. The dry down though...not good.
It's similar to smelling like a spice rack. Thyme and basil, stuff like that. I don't know why someone would want to smell like this.
The color of the bottle, brown and a sickly green should have given me a clue as to what it smelled like.
It's not AWFUL. IT doesn't make your eyes water, or give you a headache. It's not a punch in the face like Kouros or Obsession. It's a lot lighter than those. It smells so-so when sniffing the sprayer or just that initial first spray. But the herbs and spices smell, mixed with a BO/sweat vibe is just weird.

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is like Eternity mixed with a little bit of Cool Water.
I love Eternity, but dislike Cool Water.

The problem isn't just that it has elements of a fragrance that I dislike. It's that it comes across as a dull version of Calvin Klein's Eternity.
What makes Eternity successful is its sharpness, there's notes that give it this bold vibe. It's like a stiletto. Aqua Quorum is a butter knife. Meek.

The dry down is even worse as it gets a little powdery, and smells cheap.
I'd normally give this a neutral rating, since the scent isn't necessarily bad or stinky. But it's such a poor copy of Eternity in my opinion, that it comes across as an insult.

For the price you'd be better off just getting Curve or Lucky Brand, or an even cheaper sports fragrance from Adidas.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

I was a journey for a very green men's cologne, and found this. At first it reminded me as being related to Ralph Lauren's Polo, but in my opinion better, because reformulated Polo has a really bad dry down. I liked the greenness of this cologne, the 80s-ness of it.
I bought it.
I regretted it.

Man, this stuff is not good. I mean, it's kind of an interesting scent. It's memorable and not bad if you like sampling and collecting different fragrance. But as something to wear, it's horribly pungent. I would even classify this as being an offensive scent.
It just has this cheap, crass, tacky, vibe to it. Ew.
They dry down is SLIGHTLY more tolerable. And it does have a nostalgic quality to it...but I can't stand breathing this stuff in for long. I feel dirty wearing it.

I do like the bottle design though.

Aventus by Creed

Okay, first time trying out a niche fragrance on my skin.

First thoughts: smells more like a natural scent a guy would emit, rather than a chemical fragrance he applied. That's pretty impressive. It's musky, but there are other notes, which I'm guessing are the pineapple and French apple to elevate it just above a kind of sex smell. I don't detect the specific scent of pineapple, but I do get a hint of fruitiness that merges with the musk to make it smooth.
Some of the other reviewers describe this as a very masculine scent. I'd agree. It's not Antaeus or other powerhouses, it's far smoother. But it's definitely masculine, but not quite what I'd term macho. There's some testosterone here though.

Me personally, I'm a little baffled as to how this is such a popular men's cologne. The total lack of synthetic characteristics is really nice. But it's not a scent that I actually care for. It's TOO musky in my opinion. I don't think it's something I'd like to smell on someone, let alone myself.

03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 05th October, 2017)

Pancaldi by Hanorah

*This review is for the Concentree version.*

After spraying this on my wrist I mostly detect the smell of cinnamon and clove rising above everything else. Usually I can't stand those notes when they're so prominent (like in Obsession or Z-14) but I'm assuming the other heart notes are acting as a chaser in this fragrance cocktail. Still a little rough around the edges. At this point it's only okay.

The magic comes in after about two hours.
The cinnamon and clove gets subdued or overpowered by something else. Is it oakmoss? Leather? I don't know but it's definitely different. It begins to lose it's rough edges and become almost smooth, almost reaching this upper tier refinement, yet still maintaining that dirtiness that's present in vintage powerhouses. Is it a little soapy even? It's nuanced. I like that.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 02nd October, 2017)

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

I really like this.
I feel like I shouldn't since it's like a $7 cologne but I do.
It's an extremely pleasing sports fragrance.
It's also really synthetic and it's overall composition comes across as a little rough or harsh, as you'd expect for the price. For that reason I probably won't wear it very often. It dries down kind of nice but in its final stage as a skin scent (2-3 hr mark) it becomes super generic.

The harshness and its generic final stage is why the neutral rating from me.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 30th September, 2017)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Poppinj's review is pretty on the nose. At the time, Cool Water sent everything that came before it to the old folks home. But now, despite Cool Water still having a "freshness" to it, it not longer feels new.

Supposedly this has quite a bit of Dihydromyrcenol in it. I guess that's why it attacks my sense of smell so sharply, and gives me a headache.
This is a wonderfully unique style of fragrance (if you don't count GIT), but it's far too sharp for me to enjoy it.
I think it's something to be enjoyed in the context of the era it came out. It was a great response to the typical men's fragrances at the time: Polo, Quorum, Drakkar Noir, etc.
Today though? It's like it's trying to beat you over the head with how fresh and water-like it is. It's an overly strong aquatic.
18th September, 2017 (last edited: 07th October, 2017)

Legend Intense by Montblanc

The first blast of this got this cold, fresh, rich scent that is amazing. But it very rapidly dries down to this sugary sweet, pastry-like scent. I hate those types of fragrances. It reminds me of Invictus, and I don't like Invictus because it's like a powerhouse of cookies or sweets, and that stuff is cloying. And yet...women love it.

Anyway, for Legend Intense, it's similar in that sugar-sweet vibe, but there's at least a degree freshness here that isn't quite as heavy as Invictus, though it's still strong. And although I don't want to be smelling like a dessert in the literal sense, I have to admit, the spritz I put on my wrist had me thinking about eating my arm.

This is definitely not for me. I like old school powerhouses, I like 90s aquatics, but stuff like this I don't like.

But Legend Intense does smell clean, and I feel like it's the sugar-sweet men's cologne done right, I guess.
18th September, 2017

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sometimes I appreciate this fragrance, sometimes I don't.
At times I think it's merely scent-of-lemonade, other times I find it refreshing and its cotton ball soft dry down is very clean and not at all cloying or rough.

For me, it's like a slightly lesser Acqua di Gio. I think it's a quality fragrance, it doesn't smell at all cheap or crass, and I always feel fresh and clean when wearing it.

I'll put it like this though: If I was to pay retail price for a designer cologne, I don't think I'd choose L'eau D'Issey. But at a discount I would swoop this up very quickly. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably gives this a 7.

I think the Fraiche flanker might be the "grown up" version of this fragrance. I'll probably do a review of that one down the road.
01st September, 2017 (last edited: 12th September, 2017)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A new favorite!

But before I get to the praise, let me tell you, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme smells very dated! I'm a fan of older fragrances, and even to me, this one feels a little too conspicuous to wear in 2017.
This cologne says, "Hey baby, what's your sign?"
However, despite coming out in 1973 it smells nothing at all like Jovan Musk, or Halston 1-12 (which came out three years later). In my opinion, it's clearly an antecedent of fragrances like Drakkar Noir and Trussardi Uomo. Not necessarily in composition, but in style. Although it's undeniably macho, which might come across as sleazy to anyone not in their 50s, there's a freshness that permeates throughout the entirety of the fragrance's life. I finally get what people mean when they describe something as being soapy. It smells like the color of its bottle.
When I sprayed this on my wrist, I was constantly sniffing it throughout the day.
I like that this is clearly a fragrance for a man, macho, and yet surprisingly fresh. I wish this style of cologne was still in fashion but it's not.

WHAT IT'S NOT LIKE:
Usually I say what a cologne is like, but in my limited experience I can't think of anything that this one is similar to.
It's not like Brut which gets kind of powdery, it's not like any of the Jovan's which smell super pungent and oft putting to me, nor is it like the Halston brothers. It's not sand paper rough like Polo either.

CONCLUSION:
I don't see a young guy pulling this off at all. Shoot, I don't even know if an older guy can pull this off today. If you're thinking that you're going to find some unknown fragrance from yesteryear to compete with the dude's wearing Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, forget it. This is not the one.
BUT...if you like old school men's fragrances pre-90s you're probably going to love this one.
I'm going to buy a bottle of this and wear it once in awhile just to make myself happy. That's how much I like this fragrance.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd September, 2017)

Trussardi Uomo (original) by Trussardi

Some word association with Trussardi Uomo: bold, dirty, raunchy, and sex.

This is definitely an '80s fragrance and if you're a younger guy, you run the risk of drawing too much attention to yourself. There's a lot of testosterone behind this fragrance, so if you're even a little self-conscious, you're going to come across like a try hard. This cologne is probably safer for the 40+ crowd. However, it's far from an "old man" fragrance. It's not like Brut, Grey Flannel, or even Kouros. Trussardi Uomo reeks of virility.

The spray goes on thick, and you'll either be a Don Juan or a Disco Stu. As the top notes fade, the raunchiness kicks in. Then it gets a little dirty about an hour or two in. For me this is a bit of a rough patch, and it begins to remind of current Polo green's dry down, or even Preferred Stock's. This is when the dirtiness becomes most pronounced, but unlike the other colognes I mentioned, there's other pleasant notes to keep things afloat. When it gets to it's final dry down stage the dirtiness leaves and you're rewarded with this this really smooth-yet-strong, sexy scent.
This is probably one of thee best final dry down stages I've yet to experience in a men's fragrance. It even smells more refreshing than its top notes, when usually the reverse is true.
I've been wearing this now for 9 hours now and I can still smell it on my wrist and it's great!

This is a classic, and an '80s masterpiece. But remember, there's no middle ground wearing this. You either succeed or fail with it.

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

I bought this when it first came out, when I didn't know anything about men's fragrances. The girl at the counter told me this was her favorite. Looking back, she probably had a quota to meet and was told to push this particular bottle.
Anyway, this stuff is sharp and screechy. It smells like it SHOULD be good but it isn't. Super synthetic and...screechy. Yeah, that's the best word for it.
It's really cloying to.
I guess the name comes from the effect of it, because it smells simultaneously like a light fragrance and a heavy one, but they never successfully intermingle.
It's definitely an interesting experiment, but not one worth paying for.

No one?
No, maybe it's not that bad. This fragrance skews towards the younger crowd, mid-to-early 20s, but this is a little too experimental for an older guy. You would expect someone a little seasoned to know better.
But its not quite that bad. I can't stand it on myself, but if I came across someone wearing it, I wouldn't gag. I'd probably just think, "Oh, there wearing cologne."
If someone DOES like this, they're probably going to say "Oh, that's nice cologne you're wearing," not, "Oh, you smell nice." Like I said, super synthetic.

WHAT IT'S SIMILAR TO:
Polo Explorer. Polo Explorer is Contradiction done right. That one is pretty nice.

CONCLUSION:
I give credit for Calvin Klein creating another very distinctive men's fragrance. It's just not a good fragrance. It's unsure of what it wants to be. Insecure cologne for the insecure guy.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Man, I don't like wearing this cologne. It's heavy, stuffy and cloying to me.
Yet, I appreciate it and applaud it for what it is.
It's an oriental, very strong and heavy, and there's a lot of cinnamon and vanilla in there. Cinnamon isn't listed, so maybe it's nutmeg that I'm smelling. But I thought it was cinnamon.
Anyway, like I said, I don't like wearing it, I don't think it's really for young guys at all, but it's definitely sophisticated, and it is pleasant in small doses.

I find it limiting though, because I can only see wearing this on really cold winter days, maybe during the Christmas season. Wearing this to a Christmas gathering would make sense.

WHO SHOULD WEAR THIS:
Sadly, I think this fragrance is solely for the mature crowd. I don't really see this working for the 30 and under. But that's just me. I don't have the most sophisticated sense of smell so try it for yourself.

WHAT IT'S SIMILAR TO:
Shoot, I'm not that familiar with amber scents. Maybe Giorgio of Beverly Hills Red? They have go for a similar effect initially: mature, warm, cozy, although the dry down of Red becomes something markedly different, whereas Obsession stays pretty linear.

CONCLUSION:
Obsession is for the older man, and while it's far from one of my favorites, it's distinctiveness gives its a certain something that I can't deny.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Man, this must have been really something back in the day, before it got reformulated.
I LOVE the opening of this fragrance.
Is this what's considered a "green" opening? I don't know but I love it. It's got an old school vibe to it, early 80s in my mind, even though it came out in 1976.
The only bad thing is that as the top notes evaporate, what you're left with is something very powdery and soft. It's not unpleasant at all. It's nice. But you can envision your grandma's perfume smelling something like this.
In the context of the era it was produced, it was probably awesome, but if you wear this today, at best you'll come across like an anachronism and at worst, like you mistakenly put on grannie's perfume.

Many people say that the reformulation of this and its brother Z-14 don't do the originals justice. The original of this was probably killer.

That said, I give this a neutral. I'd give it a thumbs up, because it's a pleasant smell, but I don't think anyone can really pull this off with its dry down these days. It's just not that masculine.

BUT...it's cheap ($10), the opening is fantastic for those two minutes, and the rest of it is at least pleasant. I really like the bottle too. If EA Fragrances can ever get this back to whatever it was originally like, I'd gladly pay more to try it out.
19th August, 2017 (last edited: 21st August, 2017)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This smells just like how I remember.
Maybe the original formulation was even better, but it's been awhile, and as things are, it smells the same to me.
It's a light smelling fragrance compared to what was in fashion before it. This has a sexy, seductive quality to it, but there's a little classy, sophistication to it.
I'm not really prone to wearing this with shorts and sandals, but you could. I think it suits a slightly more formal occasion though.

Longevity is weird. Some days it's gone in like 3 hours, others days it lasts about 6.

I'm surprised that this cologne is as maligned as much as it is. It's easily one of my favorite fragrances of all time.

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

I love the top notes of this. Super masculine, cool and refreshing. When it dries down to it's final stage though, it's this really heavy mossy scent (I'm assuming) and that's all there is to it. On me it's really rough, dry, and not really pleasant at all.
A lot of people are saying how old school this aftershave is. Is this really how a lot of men's fragrances were back in the day?
I can appreciate other tough dry downs like Trussardi Uomo and Drakkar Noir, but this stuff doesn't have enough going on to make the dry down enjoyable.

Top notes are awesome, then it gets a little drier but still masculine, then it just gets rough and dry. Not how I want to smell.
But maybe it's just how it interacts with my skin or maybe it's a great scent that I can't appreciate due my inexperience with that era's fragrances.
I give it a neutral rating.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I wasn't happy with this.
This smells just like cinnamon, or as others have called it "Big Red gum." That's all it is.
I don't like to wear oriental fragrances but I definitely appreciate the different kinds out there. But this stuff...it's just cinnamon mostly.
Even reformulated 1-12 is better than this in my opinion.
The weird thing is that the aftershave of Z-14 smells a little more complex. THAT isn't bad. I think aftershave's tend to have a little oakmoss these days. I know Quorum's aftershave does, and Z-14's does to.

If you want to check out Z-14's aftershave, you might like it. But the cologne is not good IMO.

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

I heard that this was a lot like Liz Claiborne's Curve for Men. It really is. I always liked Curve but felt like the dry down was a little cloying for some reason.

Lucky You is like a smoother version of Curve. I get the "green" that everyone mentions, and I really like it. The weird thing is in the final dry down. To me it smells almost like rubber or something like that. Not bad considering everything else going on in the notes, but just a little weird.

The longevity is not really good. I get like 3-4 hours tops, if that.

WHO SHOULD WEAR IT:
High-schoolers and twenty-somethings. I really like this scent but it doesn't have that boldness that other light scents have. Even Calvin Klein's Eternity, as light as it is, has some oomph behind it. But Luck You is very refreshing and pleasing.

WHAT IT'S SIMILAR TO:
Curve, and to some degree CK Eternity for Men.

CONCLUSION:
For the price (about $20) you can't go wrong. The fragrance is incredibly pleasing, the bottle is pretty nice, and despite the lack of longevity, the price balances that out.

Vintage by John Varvatos

This cologne is for men, not boys. The tobacco, suede, and rum really come through, and it's got a little bit of sexiness to it.
I see this fragrance working for older men, at least 40+.
What type of guy wears this? Rugged types.
It's definitely for cold weather.
I myself don't like wearing it, but when I did I was sniffing my wrist every so often to get reminder of it, so there's something good to it. However, I feel that it's a little over bearing at times. I'm tempted to give it a neutral rating, but objectively speaking, I think it's a great fragrance, just not one that works for me.
It's similar to John Varvatos' original but that one can be worn by younger guys in a club. This is the spicier version of that one, for the older guy who travels the world, flies his own planes, does stuff like that.
10th August, 2017 (last edited: 11th August, 2017)

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

When I smelled this fragrance recently, for the first time I felt like I had been transported to a park, on a cool fall day, sometime in 1987.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:
I opened the package containing Lapidus Pour Homme that I had recently ordered from Amazon. After sniffing the bottle, I immediately loved the scent that emanated from the wonderfully 80s looking bottle. It was really unique. Reminded me of some place I can't quite remember. A distant memory or imagined?
I decided to try it on before I went to bed. I pressed down on the integrated sprayer and a strong PSSSSSHHHHHHHT hit my chest. And oh my goodness...the scent was a beast. This stuff was so strong it was assaulting my olfactory sense with chains and bats. I was foolish enough to put this on as if it were Vick's Vapor Rub. It was a far cry from the initial smooth smell from the box. I quickly took a whiff of my vintage Obsession, of which I normally can't stand, as it's so thick and heavy, and this time Obsession was like actually light, airy and refreshing compared to the nearly suffocating smell I was breathing in. Somehow I managed to fall asleep.
Woke up the next day and couldn't smell a trace on me.

Gave it to my father later that day, and the day after that he was wearing it. That atomic powered cloud wasn't present on him. Instead it was a very pleasing and refined scent. Just like it was when I first smelled from when the bottle was in the box.

SIMILAR TO :
Kouros and Santos de Cartier.

WHO SHOULD WEAR IT:
Gentlemen 40+ who would be considered to have some class. I can't see a young guy wearing this at all.

CONCLUSION:
Either it didn't mix well with my body's chemistry, or, as others have said, it takes a considerable amount of time before the fragrance becomes well-behaved and amazing.
But that said, it's a great smelling fragrance, at an amazingly cheap price. It's a little too mature for me, but I liked it so much I bought another bottle of it for myself.
I think that it may have lost some of it's longevity because even though it goes on like a beast, I couldn't smell it on me in the morning, and even current Drakkar Noir leaves a skin scent on me in the morning.
But yeah, nice unique fragrance.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 19th August, 2017)

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

I came across this fragrance after hearing it associated, scent-wise, with Drakkar Noir.
This doesn't smell anything like Drakkar Noir, at least to me.
What it does remind of is Preferred Stock and Calvin Klein's Obsession.
First impression is that this stuff is really pungent, smells very much like its amber color. It's a very "loud" scent in my opinion and spicy. I wanted to wash it off of me right away. I didn't though, and when it got to it's final dry down stage I was pleasantly surprised. It can't decide if the dry down is gentlemanly or rugged. It's like an aromatic cigarette, and I mean that in a good way.
This is not a day-to day-cologne. Think mature gentleman, old school romantic/seductive, worn for an anniversary, during winter time. I think most women, regardless of age, will enjoy the dry down, as long as it's worn by the right guy. I can see Indiana Jones using the dry down of Red as his signature.

If the top and mid notes were better, I'd give this a thumbs up.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 12th August, 2017)

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

In my opinion, this is one of the smoother fragrances to come from the 80s.
The opening is great. It's simultaneously fresh and dark. But then it quickly turns into Lemon Pledge. Not good
It's complete Lemon Pledge for like 30 minutes, sometimes a little longer.

But then the Lemon Pledge-like smell begins to recede, and then it's more like lemon notes. The lemon seems to be there to balance out the heavier, rougher notes (leather?) that give it that fresh/heavy scent.
At this point it's very masculine and a little seductive.
As the dry down progresses it gets almost slightly smokey, like you've been out all night, while wearing a leather jacket, and smoking some cigarettes.

I can definitely see why this is both praised and criticized. At times it can come off as crude and maybe even cheap. Other times it's very bold and confident.
Not for everyone, especially considering that aquatics and sugary sweet fragrances are what's in fashion these days. The confident types who enjoy this scent though are the ones will make it work for them. If you like it but you're insecure or self-conscious, choose something else in for the time being.
The sillage on this doesn't seem to be that great, at least from what I've read about how other 80s powerhouses project, but the longevity seems to decent for me. Sometimes it's like 4-5 hours, other times I wake up in the morning and I can still smell it on me as a skin scent.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 12th August, 2017)

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

It's hard to believe this came out in 2005 and not 1985.
This is a very interesting scent. I smell the green apple but I feel like it's more some kind of spiced apple slices or something. The opening has a nice freshness to it, but then again, most fragrances do. When it gets so dry in smell is when I kind of turn away from it.
It's formal, for an older guy, bordering on old man cologne, at least to me.
If it were a love-it-or-hate-it scent like Kouros or Ralph Lauren Polo I'd give it a thumbs up. To me it's more of a kind-of-like-it-or-hate-it scent.
09th August, 2017 (last edited: 11th August, 2017)

Preferred Stock by Coty

I've always been attracted to Preferred Stock solely by the name and package design. The black with red highlighting, and the geometric shaped logo that has a subtle gradation. Simple and very stylish. I assumed it would smell similar to Drakkar Noir.

It definitely reminds me of Drakkar Noir on the opening, although it's not necessarily the same. The reviews are accurate when they say it's like 25% Drakkar Noir and 75% Giorgio of Beverly Hills Red. Unfortunately it's really cheap and really crude smelling. Although I get hints of what it was trying to go for, if you wear this today, people will think you're wearing Raid.

I don't hate it though, at least as far as it's opening and heart notes are concerned. Like I said, I get the vibe it was going for. Raunchy and brash, characteristics of the 80s fragrances it was imitating. But there's a fine line between risky and eww. This walks that line but keeps falling over into "eww" territory.

The final dry down is really awful. Like dirt and cigarette butts. It's like you haven't bathed. It's how I imagine Pig-Pen from the Peanuts comic strip smells like.
03rd August, 2017 (last edited: 12th August, 2017)