Reviews by Hugh V.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Wow, I'm surprised I'm giving Chanel's cologne a thumbs down.

It opens up decent, with a nice fresh, coldness to it. I've smelled better openings though.

But then it dries down and this queasy-inducing smell comes about. At first it smells almost feminine/floral/slightly powdery, but there's other elements as well that make it smell like...nauseating, stomach turning.

Usually when I rush to scrub a fragrance off me it's because they're overly sharp, way too sweet, way too heavy, but this one was actually grossing me out a bit. And it was very hard to wash it off as well.

01st June, 2018

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

This is a review for the current EA reformulation.

This starts out with a very loud, synthetic, fruity/green opening. To some it might be like stilettos being jammed up your nose. But the opening overall is a pleasant scent.

It dries down to a skin scent in like an hour.
The vintage had decent-to-strong projection. I remember it drying down into this very musky, synthetic smell. I myself wasn't a fan of this part of it, but I'm in the minority on that one.
The current one dries down is subtle, and doesn't have that musk. It really is a shadow of it's formal self. But that's okay if you think the original was too strong and musky. It's not like the dry down on this gets rough or dirty.
For the type of scent people view it as: starter fragrance, teenager, etc, it's great. It's a sexy smell, and when I wore the original I got compliments.

SIMILAR TO:
Luck You. But this one had a weaker, but better smelling dry down. Luck You smells like burnt plastic or rubber in the middle. Not cool.

Also, this feels like the younger brother of CK Eternity. It's got the same vibe, a fresh, synthetic green opening, then a musky, soft dry down. At least the vintage did.

CONCLUSION:
It's a classic in my opinion. Yeah, it's synthetic but it smells nice.
It has some baggage considering it's age, it being sold in every single discounter, pharmacy, and retailer, and it's cheap price tag.
But it's a solid fragrance.
I'd give it a thumbs up, but considering that this once had very good projection and longevity, but no longer does, it only gets a neutral.
29th May, 2018 (last edited: 04th June, 2018)

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

After a nice 10 second opening, it begins to smell like pure lemon. Not good.
It later dries down into a more mature Azzaro Pour Homme. On my wrist it smelled pretty nice, and I can see wearing this on a cold day with a leather jacket.
But recently I wore it to work and I did not like the scent at all. It smelled like eau de sweat or something. The good thing it's not a strong project (that I know of).

WHAT'S IT LIKE:
Azzaro Pour Homme
It's the 80s version of Azzaro, a little more sophisticated and mysterious, but not a interesting or pleasant. A more herbal version, and less fun in my opinion.

CONCLUSION:
At first I thought this was a nice, cheap find. But now I'm going to toss it.

17th April, 2018 (last edited: 27th April, 2018)

Acqua di Giò Profumo by Giorgio Armani

I love Acqua di Gio but obviously, it's too common.
After reading about this, I was interested so I tried it out.
Very incense heavy, and very woody. I didn't like it.
I was hoping for a unique take on the existing AdG but instead, this one just reminds me of what's already out there, as someone mentioned, it gives off a Bleu de Chanel kinda vibe. I feel like Armani is just taking what's fashionable in perfumery right now, and adding that to their 90s fragrance.
I'm biased against heavy colognes with incense so take that into consideration.
It doesn't smell quality, as it should. On me, it smelled like one thin layer of the original AdG, and then a heavy layer of the incense and patchouli over it.
It's super strong at first, but after about two hours it calms down a bit.
When it's in its final dry down stages it's kind of nice, but not for me.

Honestly, if I wanted something relatively more modern, I'd rather go with Bleu or Dior's Sauvage.
Check it out for yourself, but I find the original to be far better as an overall scent.
06th April, 2018

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Just sprayed this on my wrist.
Wow, smells very nice, piney with some tobacco in the distance.
It DOES smell like "money." Pine-like colognes conjure up images of those pine tree car air-fresheners, but that's okay.

20 MINUTES PASS

This does NOT smell good. It reminds me A LOT of the dry down in Preferred Stock. Almost like a dirt smell.
I suppose I should say it has a "dirty" note, which is common in a lot of old school powerhouses but this to me is more just like a DIRT note. If I put your nose to my wrist, and try to appreciate it, I can kind of visualize tobacco with a very faint pine smell. But just a casual whiff, and this smells very unpleasant.
People are going to think I haven't bathed.
Maybe it's because this is a reformulation, maybe it's because I'm experiencing it out of context-not in the era it was made for-or maybe it just doesn't mix well with my body chemistry.
But I don't like it and I have to get this off of me.

RUNS TO SINK TO SPLASH SOME WATER ON WRIST

Is it gone?
*sniff*
*sniffs again*
It's...
*keeps sniffing*
It's actually smelling a little bit better. Just a little bit. The pine and the tobacco are mixing better with one another...but it's still very oft putting in a contemporary context.
Very dry, tobacco/cigarette butts/dirty smell laced with a slight bit of pine and...is that a hint of cinnamon?
*sniffs once more*
Okay...I get it. I can see a little bit of WHY it was so popular during its heyday. I'm even beginning to like it.

CONCLUSION
This is going to put off a lot of people who didn't grow up with this scent. As YouTube fragrance reviewer MyMickers said, "it smells like death." And in the dry down, it does. At first.
But once you give it some time (or maybe splash some water over the sprayed spot to dilute it???) it becomes this very dry, masculine scent, and and almost addictive.
Most people, like myself, aren't used to cologne smelling like this, so they mistake something very different as = bad.

This does come across as a very dated scent. I think most fragrances that have a prominent pine-note in there are going to come across as dated because the general public associates pine-scents with cheap air fresheners.
But this is also a very good scent, and while the dry down can be a little challenging, it's pretty nice. On the right person, for the right occasion, with the right outfit, this could be pulled off very well.

08th March, 2018 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

This is definitely the best of the classics-turned-cheapies.

Initially, I found it to be screeching, cloying, and cheap smelling. One spray to the wrist and it just became this overbearingly loud, screechy, synthetic, purple (green) monster.
After some excellent advice from a fellow Basenoter on the forums, I tried spraying this fragrance a couple times in the air, and walking through the mist.
Wow, what a difference!
This fragrance had calmed down, still Irish Spring-like, but it was nicely balanced with this masculine ashy note.

This is a very masculine scent due to the ashy base, but it's not dirty or harsh unlike others such as Polo.

CONCLUSION:
This is easily one of the more pleasant smelling fragrances of its era. And more importantly, I think it's a very well done "masculine" fragrance, as it smells like something clearly made for a man, but simultaneously smells clean. I don't get that with a lot of the legends from the powerhouse era.
I think this is an ideal casual fragrance.
19th February, 2018 (last edited: 15th May, 2018)

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Heard great things about this flanker so I tried it out at Macy's.

At first there's this petrol and leather vibe. Really strong, and different from anything else out there. My first thought was that this is unlike anything else out there.
I thought, "I shouldn't like this but I do."
As it dries down, that sharp petrol vibe mellows out and it smells more like a creamy leather vibe.
From this point on the scent stays the same.

This shares a lane with Dior's Fahrenheit due to the petrol and the overly masculine vibe. But this scent is even more challenging.

For me, I prefer the sharper opening to the dry down, although the latter is good too.

Easily one of the best designer men's fragrances out there.
26th January, 2018 (last edited: 07th April, 2018)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This is a review for the most recent reformulation.

I heard that Azzaro Pour Homme is quite a legend, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I recently sampled it, and loved the opening. Very classic, sharp, masculine scent.
I decided I buy a bottle and try it out.
So after testing it on my skin, here's my thoughts:
The opening is GLORIOUS. Classic, but not old man.
Really great.
As it dries down though, it loses that sharp vibe, and gets a soapy, a hint of being powdery, and then this hovering "dirty" note. Is it a dirty note, or just a cheap and crude dry down? That dirty note/mixed with the soapy vibe reminds me of Paco Rabanne PH. It also smells kind of pungent. I want to like this, but the dirty part of it is just not pleasant to me at all. The dry down begins to smell less masculine and very dated.

WHAT'S IT SIMILAR TO:
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
Different openings and endings but in the middle, they both have that soapy dirty note thing going on. They both are dated fragrances, but I think Paco is a little better.

Aramis Tuscany
They have different openings, but Tuscany's dry down is a very slightly updated, more subtle interpretation of Azzaro Pour Homme. But not as good either.

CONCLUSION:
This is a dated a fragrance. If you're a collector or you like 70s/80s fragrances, you'll definitely find this interesting. It's a fun fragrance. But that dry down makes you smell cheap, and the crudeness combined with the dry down doesn't really work for younger guys in my opinion.
I will keep an eye out for the vintage though, because the general composition of this fragrance is a winner though.

18th January, 2018 (last edited: 27th April, 2018)

Lomani by Lomani

Yeah, yeah, this opens up just like Drakkar Noir. Fresher? Mmm, not really.
They both got this rough, crude, musky dry down, but whereas Drakkar Noir has that birch tar/leather dry down, this one has this sickly smell of an almost soda-like accord. You're not going to smell like Coca-Cola, but there's a syrupy soda-ness in there to me. It's not pleasant to me, and just smells cheap. So I guess absence of birch tar equals "fresher" to some, but for me it's trading one heavy for another.

I myself used to like Drakkar Noir but now I can't stand the dry down. If you like DN, Preferred Stock, and Red, you'll probably want to try out Lomani PH. They all start off with the same vibe as Guy La Roche's popular flanker but then veer of that path and kind of do their own thing.

12th January, 2018 (last edited: 11th February, 2018)

Voyage by Nautica

I heard good things about this fragrance. I generally like "clean" smelling fragrances. I like that fresh-out-the-shower feeling, so I blind bought this.
It's definitely a cool, clean scent but you've smelled this type of fragrance, or maybe this particular fragrance, a hundred times before.
It comes across as a very generic, aquatic men's cologne.
I don't like it.
I think it's smoother than Azzaro Chrome which is similar but that one has a sharper, more synthetic dry down that's almost headache inducing to me.
Supposedly this is a crowd pleaser and a compliment getter. If you want something like that, I'd recommend Aqua di Gio, which is also common, but is a far superior and fresher scent.
03rd January, 2018

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

The opening on this is very clean, fresh (iced mango indeed), and nice. I was in love with it, right away. A little too "pretty" of a scent, but I like it.
Then the dry down comes into play.
It still has that mango-like scent, but instead of being sharp and watery, it gets creamy. Creamy, but for some reason, not in a good way. I don't if it's because it smells too common, but that dry down just doesn't do it for me. More recently, I tried it again, and the dry down smelled like some bad buttered popcorn.

SIMILAR TO: Marshall's Artisan Woods/TJ Maxx's Imperial Woods. The Marshall's version has a faux metal looking cylinder cap, the TJ Maxx one has a faux wooden rectangle cap.
That fragrance opens up very sharp and synthetic but immediately dries down into what the opening of Polo Black is like. It doesn't last that long, maybe 4 hours, but it's pretty much Polo Black done right. That queasy creamy dry down is not here, but instead, a smoother version of Polo Black's top notes.

CONCLUSION: Aside from my most recent experience with it (maybe THAT tester bottle went bad), it's pretty safe, but the dry down is nothing great, just generic.
28th November, 2017 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Okay, 1985's Boss Number One.
The opening is a very classic, crisp, cologne-y smelling type of 80s fragrance. I like that about it. It comes across as slightly sophisticated and formal.
Then it gets powdery. A little too powdery, with a dash of dirtiness in there. To my unsophisticated nose, it smells like something someone's great aunt would wear. Actually, "dandy" is what comes to mind at this point.
Finally, as it dries down more and becomes more of a skin scent, it loses that powdery-ness and actually smells masculine. The honey and dirtiness is most prominent at this stage, and as you keep smelling it, it alternates between those two notes and something else. I don't know what it is, but overall, that skin scent dry down is the better part of it.

And yeah, I can sort of detect the pissy/urine note that some people say it has. I mean, I don't think it smells like pee, but I can see how some people might interpret it that way, especially in relation to how modern men's fragrances smell like.

CONCLUSION:
I think this is barely okay. It's definitely NOT something that I would say is bad smelling, but it's not that interesting of a scent either. The powdery middle part of it is what makes it feel extremely dated to me.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 04th May, 2018)

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Reformulated Version Review

This is an okay fragrance.
It starts out like a little musky, fizzy, Sprite-kinda mixture, the Sprite aspect being minimal though. It definitely wouldn't be mistaken for a modern fragrance, but it's not quite typical of what you normally associate with the era it came out in. I'd say it walks a fine line between quirky and mundane.

I can't speak for the sillage but the longevity is pretty poor. I get like two hours tops, and it's a barely-there-skin scent. The dry down, which is a skin scent by that point, is nice. It gets less musky, and stale, and a little softer. Some moss mixed with a weak Sprite. The dry down is similar to that of Gillette Cool Wave aftershave but I think Gillette Cool Wave is overall superior to this.

It's not bad, but it's missing something. There are far more interesting fragrances from this era (mid-1980s) to choose from.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 18th November, 2017)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

From the design of the bottle, to the advertising campaign, I was thinking this was going to be very fresh, and maybe even similar to Davidoff's Cool Water.
It isn't.
Yes, there IS a watery note/vibe here. When smelling this, it first feels refreshing because it's like inhaling a watery mist. The problem for me though, is the prominent herbal medley of thyme, fennel and black pepper. It's a slight bit of freshness, and a whole lot of brittle dried goods. The latter is mostly what this fragrance is made of, and it's not something I would like to wear, or smell on others.
And I'm not against herbal-smelling fragrances. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany are both excellent. But this one, not so much.
This is very similar to Calvin Klein's Escape, except that one has no freshness or water aspect.
This is a unique composition but ultimately it's a dislike.
31st October, 2017

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

This smells like a lost '80s scent, or better yet, what I imagine an '80s scent to smell like. I sprayed this on my wrist and got a very nice, opening, and it reminded me and a female friend of a fragrance that we couldn't quite put our finger on.

The bad thing is that after about 30 minutes, maybe less, that great opening kind of devolves into a very generic dry down. It's a skin scent during this time, and after 2 hours it's gone!

Strangely enough, the other day I applied two sprays to the chest, under my tank top, and it seemed to prolong this scent. Was I sweating while wearing it? Did a bit get on my tank top? I don't know but I could smell it throughout the day for a good 5 hours. I doubt it was projecting strongly, but it was enough that I could notice it here and there. YouTube reviewer MyMickers mentioned in a review for John Varvatos' Vintage that humidity "activates" that cologne. Maybe something similar happened in the way I wore Artisan Acqua that day.

I give this fragrance a 7.5 out of 10. I don't feel it's that distinctive of a scent, aside from it's vague throwback scent profile, and it doesn't quite make it to an addictive smelling scent like Dior's Fahrenheit or Armani's Aqua di Gio. However, it's got this citric, musky, masculine quality to it, which I appreciate. I got this for cheap but when I run out, I'd seriously think about paying full price for another bottle.
19th October, 2017 (last edited: 22nd January, 2018)

Santos by Cartier

I had the privilege of trying vintage Santos a ways back. I remember it being a very rich smelling fragrance, sophisticated, complex...it had a lot going on.
I recently tried one of the new formulations, the second to last one that has the integrated atomizer.
First impression is that it smells cheaper and a little crude. A very dry smelling fragrance and to me, this formulation is just very overbearing without any sexy, redeeming qualities, unlike the original.
Even if I weren't comparing it to the vintage I don't think this is a very good EdT.
I tried Antaeus recently, a men's cologne that shares the same lane as Santos, and although not for me, I respect it more, and it seems like that one has more character and a little more refinement than Santos.
19th October, 2017

Akthar Noir by Preferred Fragrance

Is this closer to vintage Drakkar Noir than current, reformulated Drakkar Noir?
I've no clue, as I've never had the privilege of trying the vintage.

But I can tell you that Akthar Noir starts out smelling nearly identical to current Drakkar Noir. It's the familiar Lemon Pledge for a minute than the dry down hits and you get a hint of this velvet smoothness that comes across much nicer than the crude dry down of actual Drakkar.
The problem is that there's this strong, melted plastic note to it. It's not pleasant at all, and smells like you're wearing some kind of solvent. That plastic note is really dominant.
I've tried quite a few of the Drakkar Noir clones and this is probably the worst and cheapest smelling.
19th October, 2017

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Fell in love with this instantly.
This is a bit of dry fragrance, first impression is that it smells like some expensive wood furniture and a bit of gasoline. I don't even like dry OR woody smelling cologne but that gasoline note is what makes this great.
What I most like about Dior's Fahrenheit is that it's so different from the powerhouses of the 80s, the fresh aquatics of the mid 90s, and the sugar sweets of the '10s.
A true masterpiece of masculine originality.
While this is ever so slightly dated, reminding me of the mid-to-late 90s for some reason, it doesn't feel like old-man cologne to me, not at all. It's very stylish and modern in my opinion.
It's a love it or hate it fragrance, and because of that, it's not an easy one to wear.
UPDATE:
I wore this again, and for the first hour or so it was projecting nicely, and smelled great. After about 2-3 hours, it was still projecting but it lost some of it's more pleasant-smelling qualities, and got rougher and dirty-smelling. To me, it was a very unclean type of smell, and I didn't like it.
I'm keeping the good rating, because maybe this fragrance just doesn't mix well with my skin, but I won't be wearing it again.
17th October, 2017 (last edited: 08th February, 2018)

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Smells dry and brittle.
I don't smell fruit or anything aquatic. This is just bad in my opinion.
I was thinking this would be similar to Eternity...boy was I wrong.

This smells very similar to Guy La Roche's Horizon. Before I tried either one of them, I saw people describe them as having an oceanic/beach-like quality. I assumed that meant it was fresh and aquatic...I'm guessing that description means you smell like you were bathing in salt water. Maybe.
More herbal and dry, nothing coming close to being watery in my opinion.

I now know why CK has a bad reputation in the fragrance community.
17th October, 2017

Quorum by Antonio Puig

In my fragrance journey for something awesome from the powerhouse era I found Quorum.
Like most cologne, the initial opening is nice. The dry down though...not good.
It's similar to smelling like a spice rack. Thyme and basil, stuff like that. I don't know why someone would want to smell like this.
The color of the bottle, brown and a sickly green should have given me a clue as to what it smelled like.
It's not AWFUL. IT doesn't make your eyes water, or give you a headache. It's not a punch in the face like Kouros or Obsession. It's a lot lighter than those. It smells so-so when sniffing the sprayer or just that initial first spray. But the herbs and spices smell, mixed with a BO/sweat vibe is just weird.

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is like Eternity mixed with a little bit of Cool Water.
I love Eternity, but dislike Cool Water.

The problem isn't just that it has elements of a fragrance that I dislike. It's that it comes across as a dull version of Calvin Klein's Eternity.
What makes Eternity successful is its sharpness, there's notes that give it this bold vibe. It's like a stiletto. Aqua Quorum is a butter knife. Meek.

The dry down is even worse as it gets a little powdery, and smells cheap.
I'd normally give this a neutral rating, since the scent isn't necessarily bad or stinky. But it's such a poor copy of Eternity in my opinion, that it comes across as an insult.

For the price you'd be better off just getting Curve or Lucky Brand, or an even cheaper sports fragrance from Adidas.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

I was a journey for a very green men's cologne, and found this. At first it reminded me as being related to Ralph Lauren's Polo, but in my opinion better, because reformulated Polo has a really bad dry down. I liked the greenness of this cologne, the 80s-ness of it.
I bought it.
I regretted it.

Man, this stuff is not good. I mean, it's kind of an interesting scent. It's memorable and not bad if you like sampling and collecting different fragrance. But as something to wear, it's horribly pungent. I would even classify this as being an offensive scent.
It just has this cheap, crass, tacky, vibe to it. Ew.
They dry down is SLIGHTLY more tolerable. And it does have a nostalgic quality to it...but I can't stand breathing this stuff in for long. I feel dirty wearing it.

I do like the bottle design though.

Aventus by Creed

Okay, first time trying out a niche fragrance on my skin.

First thoughts: smells more like a natural scent a guy would emit, rather than a chemical fragrance he applied. That's pretty impressive. It's musky, but there are other notes, which I'm guessing are the pineapple and French apple to elevate it just above a kind of sex smell. I don't detect the specific scent of pineapple, but I do get a hint of fruitiness that merges with the musk to make it smooth.
Some of the other reviewers describe this as a very masculine scent. I'd agree. It's not Antaeus or other powerhouses, it's far smoother. But it's definitely masculine, but not quite what I'd term macho. There's some testosterone here though.

Me personally, I'm a little baffled as to how this is such a popular men's cologne. The total lack of synthetic characteristics is really nice. But it's not a scent that I actually care for. It's TOO musky in my opinion. I don't think it's something I'd like to smell on someone, let alone myself.

03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 05th October, 2017)

Pancaldi by Hanorah

*This review is for the Concentree version.*

After spraying this on my wrist I mostly detect the smell of cinnamon and clove rising above everything else. Usually I can't stand those notes when they're so prominent (like in Obsession or Z-14) but I'm assuming the other heart notes are acting as a chaser in this fragrance cocktail. Still a little rough around the edges. At this point it's only okay.

After about two hours, the cinnamon and clove gets subdued or overpowered by something else. Is it oakmoss? Leather? I don't know but it's definitely different. The rough edges smooth out a bit, almost reaching this upper tier refinement, yet still maintaining that dirtiness that's present in vintage powerhouses. Is it a have a hint of soapiness even? It's a little nuanced.

That said, I just don't want to wear this. This is like something the Monopoly Man would wear, while enjoying a fine cigar in an exclusive gentleman's club. I picture an old, old man wearing this. I like and appreciate fragrances from this era, but this one just isn't that great. Try to get your hands on some vintage Santos by Cartier if you want to smell this style done better.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 12th January, 2018)

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

I really like this.
I feel like I shouldn't since it's like a $7 cologne but I do.
It's an extremely pleasing sports fragrance.
It's also really synthetic and it's overall composition comes across as a little rough or harsh, as you'd expect for the price. For that reason I probably won't wear it very often. It dries down kind of nice but in its final stage as a skin scent (2-3 hr mark) it becomes super generic.

The harshness and its generic final stage is why the neutral rating from me.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 30th September, 2017)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Poppinj's review is pretty on the nose. At the time, Cool Water sent everything that came before it to the old folks home. But now, despite Cool Water still having a "freshness" to it, it not longer feels new.

Supposedly this has quite a bit of Dihydromyrcenol in it. I guess that's why it attacks my sense of smell so sharply, and gives me a headache.
This is a wonderfully unique style of fragrance (if you don't count GIT), but it's far too sharp for me to enjoy it.
I think it's something to be enjoyed in the context of the era it came out. It was a great response to the typical men's fragrances at the time: Polo, Quorum, Drakkar Noir, etc.
Today though? It's like it's trying to beat you over the head with how fresh and water-like it is. It's an overly strong aquatic.
18th September, 2017 (last edited: 07th October, 2017)

Legend Intense by Montblanc

The first blast of this got this cold, fresh, rich scent that is amazing. But it very rapidly dries down to this sugary sweet, pastry-like scent. I hate those types of fragrances. It reminds me of Invictus, and I don't like Invictus because it's like a powerhouse of cookies or sweets, and that stuff is cloying. And yet...women love it.

Anyway, for Legend Intense, it's similar in that sugar-sweet vibe, but there's at least a degree freshness here that isn't quite as heavy as Invictus, though it's still strong. And although I don't want to be smelling like a dessert in the literal sense, I have to admit, the spritz I put on my wrist had me thinking about eating my arm.

This is definitely not for me. I like old school powerhouses, I like 90s aquatics, but stuff like this I don't like.

But Legend Intense does smell clean, and I feel like it's the sugar-sweet men's cologne done right, I guess.
18th September, 2017

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sometimes I appreciate this fragrance, sometimes I don't.
At times I think it's merely scent-of-lemonade, other times I find it refreshing and its cotton ball soft dry down is very clean and not at all cloying or rough.

For me, it's like a slightly lesser Acqua di Gio. I think it's a quality fragrance, it doesn't smell at all cheap or crass, and I always feel fresh and clean when wearing it.

I'll put it like this though: If I was to pay retail price for a designer cologne, I don't think I'd choose L'eau D'Issey. But at a discount I would swoop this up very quickly. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably gives this a 7.

I think the Fraiche flanker might be the "grown up" version of this fragrance. I'll probably do a review of that one down the road.
01st September, 2017 (last edited: 12th September, 2017)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A new favorite!

But before I get to the praise, let me tell you, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme smells very dated! I'm a fan of older fragrances, and even to me, this one feels a little too conspicuous to wear in 2017.
This cologne says, "Hey baby, what's your sign?"
However, despite coming out in 1973 it smells nothing at all like Jovan Musk, or Halston 1-12 (which came out three years later). In my opinion, it's clearly an antecedent of fragrances like Drakkar Noir and Trussardi Uomo. Not necessarily in composition, but in style. Although it's undeniably macho, which might come across as sleazy to anyone not in their 50s, there's a freshness that permeates throughout the entirety of the fragrance's life. I finally get what people mean when they describe something as being soapy. It smells like the color of its bottle.
When I sprayed this on my wrist, I was constantly sniffing it throughout the day.
I like that this is clearly a fragrance for a man, macho, and yet surprisingly fresh. I wish this style of cologne was still in fashion but it's not.

WHAT IT'S NOT LIKE:
Usually I say what a cologne is like, but in my limited experience I can't think of anything that this one is similar to.
It's not like Brut which gets kind of powdery, it's not like any of the Jovan's which smell super pungent and oft putting to me, nor is it like the Halston brothers. It's not sand paper rough like Polo either.

CONCLUSION:
I don't see a young guy pulling this off at all. Shoot, I don't even know if an older guy can pull this off today. If you're thinking that you're going to find some unknown fragrance from yesteryear to compete with the dude's wearing Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, forget it. This is not the one.
BUT...if you like old school men's fragrances pre-90s you're probably going to love this one.
I'm going to buy a bottle of this and wear it once in awhile just to make myself happy. That's how much I like this fragrance.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd September, 2017)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Man, I don't like wearing this cologne. It's heavy, stuffy and cloying to me.
It's an oriental, very strong and heavy, and there's a lot of cinnamon and vanilla in there. Cinnamon isn't listed, so maybe it's nutmeg or clove that I'm smelling. But I thought it was cinnamon.
Anyway, like I said, I don't like wearing it, and I don't really differentiate this between younger/older guy-style. While it's distinctive and strong, I find it a little boring.
I can only see wearing this on really cold winter days, during the Christmas season. Wearing this to a Christmas gathering would make sense.
I thought maybe it just didn't work for me, but I've smelled it on others, and just found it far too simple and cinnamon-y.
I do respect the fragrance, I can see why it's popular, and I sometimes miss my old bottle, but this is something I simply don't wish to smell on myself or others.
21st August, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)