Reviews by Hugh V.

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

This is an audacious scent. First time I smelled the opening I was like, "this is bold." Beige leather interior of a car first came to mind. Not a common scent at all.

After reading some reviews, yeah, the leather smell opening could be mistaken for the smell of Band-Aids. But as it dries down it loses that, and becomes a creamier scent.
As much as I like the originality of this fragrance, and how different it is, it's not something I can see myself wearing very often.
If you want to stand out from a literal crowd, great choice. But in close proximity to someone for long periods of time, I think they would get tired of this smell. I did as the day progressed.

IF YOU LIKE...
Dior's Fahrenheit, chances are you'll like Gucci Guilty Absolute. They're both absolutely masculine fragrances. I feel like Fahrenheit is more sexy and seductive in an unconventional way, but Gucci Guilty Absolute is more about making a statement.

CONCLUSION:
Overall, I give the scent a 7 out of 10. The weird thing is, I find this one more intriguing and addicting than the other cologne's that I've rated 7.5/8 and higher.
26th January, 2018 (last edited: 08th February, 2018)

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This is for the most recent reformulation: sprayer comes off to refill bottle, "AZZARO pour homme" printed in black at the top, "AZZARO" named embossed on the bottom.
Opening has a nice, classic alcohol-blast, then it immediately becomes this lemony/citrus/almost powdery-like scent, with a soapiness in the background. I think it might be off-putting for a lot of people at this point. Not gross or anything, but just really strong.
After about an hour or so you get a more soapy, damp dry down.
I wanted to like this.
Like I said, opening is that classic men's cologne smell, but for my taste it just is "okay."
The soapy smell is pretty boring compared to designer fragrances that came out a few years later.

WHO IS THIS FOR:
If your younger and casual, this comes across as for the sensitive individual. If your a little older, or dressed in formal attire, it's for someone who wants to give the impression of gentlemanly or refined.

SIMILAR TO:
Is this like Paco Rabanne PH? Yeah, I get the similarities, but I find that Paco is the superior fragrance. That one is more masculine, more dirty in the middle, more clean in the dry down, and overall more interesting.

CONCLUSION:
I think this one is little overrated, but maybe the reformulation I have isn't nearly as good as the vintage stuff. It's only okay but I wouldn't wear it.

18th January, 2018

Voyage by Nautica

I heard good things about this fragrance. I generally like "clean" smelling fragrances. I like that fresh-out-the-shower feeling, so I blind bought this.
It's definitely a cool, clean scent but you've smelled this type of fragrance, or maybe this particular fragrance, a hundred times before.
It comes across as a very generic, aquatic men's cologne.
I don't like it.
I think it's smoother than Azzaro Chrome which is similar but that one has a sharper, more synthetic dry down that's almost headache inducing to me.
Supposedly this is a crowd pleaser and a compliment getter. If you want something like that, I'd recommend Aqua di Gio, which is also common, but is a far superior and fresher scent.
03rd January, 2018

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

I went to Macy's a while back and tried a variety of men's cologne on. Polo Black was the only thing that really stuck out to me. Had that sharp, fresh, slightly sweet opening ("iced mango"). I love that kind of opening. It dries down pretty linear, but the sharp freshness becomes creamy. Quality stuff in my opinion.

Subsequent samples didn't evoke the same magic. The opening now seems far too feminine to me, and the dry down overstays its welcome.

I still rate it a thumbs up because it's a great smelling, young fragrance, and smells of a relatively good quality. I probably will buy it down the road, but I'm looking for something just a little bit better.

Overall, I think this is a winner if you want something to wear on a first date, or just going out with friends.

IF YOU LIKE: CK Eternity, Curve, or Lucky You, I think you'll like this. Maybe even better.

BOTTLE DESIGN: Simple but beautiful.

LONGEVITY & SILLAGE: It lasts about 6 hours on me, more or less. I felt like it was projecting well enough for people to notice it, but it's far from a best.
28th November, 2017

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

Okay, 1985's Boss Number One.
The opening is a very classic, crisp, cologne-y smelling type of 80s fragrance. I like that about it. It comes across as slightly sophisticated and formal.
Then it gets powdery. A little too powdery, with a dash of dirtiness in there. To my unsophisticated nose, it smells like something someone's great aunt would wear. "Dandy" is what comes to mind at this point.
Finally, as it dries down more and becomes more of a skin scent, it loses that powdery-ness and actually smells masculine. The honey and dirtiness is most prominent at this stage, and as you keep smelling it, it alternates between those two notes and something else. I don't know what it is, but overall, that skin scent dry down is the best part of it.

And yeah, I can sort of detect the pissy/urine note that some people say it has. I mean, I don't think it smells like pee, but I can see how some people might interpret it that way, especially in relation to how modern men's fragrances smell like.

Overall, I think it's okay. It definitely has character, it has that nostalgic, classic style to it, but the powdery part of keeps me from buying it. But if you're a fan of 1980s fragrances like me, definitely try it out.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Reformulated Version Review

This is an okay fragrance.
It starts out like a little musky, fizzy, Sprite-kinda mixture, the Sprite aspect being minimal though. It definitely wouldn't be mistaken for a modern fragrance, but it's not quite typical of what you normally associate with the era it came out in. I'd say it walks a fine line between quirky and mundane.

I can't speak for the sillage but the longevity is pretty poor. I get like two hours tops, and it's a barely-there-skin scent. The dry down, which is a skin scent by that point, is nice. It gets less musky, and stale, and a little softer. Some moss mixed with a weak Sprite. The dry down is similar to that of Gillette Cool Wave aftershave but I think Gillette Cool Wave is overall superior to this.

It's not bad, but it's missing something. There are far more interesting fragrances from this era (mid-1980s) to choose from.

14th November, 2017 (last edited: 18th November, 2017)

Horizon by Guy Laroche

From the design of the bottle, to the advertising campaign, I was thinking this was going to be very fresh, and maybe even similar to Davidoff's Cool Water.
It isn't.
Yes, there IS a watery note/vibe here. When smelling this, it first feels refreshing because it's like inhaling a watery mist. The problem for me though, is the prominent herbal medley of thyme, fennel and black pepper. It's a slight bit of freshness, and a whole lot of brittle dried goods. The latter is mostly what this fragrance is made of, and it's not something I would like to wear, or smell on others.
And I'm not against herbal-smelling fragrances. Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Aramis Tuscany are both excellent. But this one, not so much.
This is very similar to Calvin Klein's Escape, except that one has no freshness or water aspect.
This is a unique composition but ultimately it's a dislike.
31st October, 2017

Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos

This smells like a lost '80s scent, or better yet, what I imagine an '80s scent to smell like. I sprayed this on my wrist and got a very nice, opening, and it reminded me and a female friend of a fragrance that we couldn't quite put our finger on.

The bad thing is that after about 30 minutes, maybe less, that great opening kind of devolves into a very generic dry down. It's a skin scent during this time, and after 2 hours it's gone!

Strangely enough, the other day I applied two sprays to the chest, under my tank top, and it seemed to prolong this scent. Was I sweating while wearing it? Did a bit get on my tank top? I don't know but I could smell it throughout the day for a good 5 hours. I doubt it was projecting strongly, but it was enough that I could notice it here and there. YouTube reviewer MyMickers mentioned in a review for John Varvatos' Vintage that humidity "activates" that cologne. Maybe something similar happened in the way I wore Artisan Acqua that day.

I give this fragrance a 7.5 out of 10. I don't feel it's that distinctive of a scent, aside from it's vague throwback scent profile, and it doesn't quite make it to an addictive smelling scent like Dior's Fahrenheit or Armani's Aqua di Gio. However, it's got this citric, musky, masculine quality to it, which I appreciate. I got this for cheap but when I run out, I'd seriously think about paying full price for another bottle.
19th October, 2017 (last edited: 22nd January, 2018)

Santos by Cartier

I had the privilege of trying vintage Santos a ways back. I remember it being a very rich smelling fragrance, sophisticated, complex...it had a lot going on.
I recently tried one of the new formulations, the second to last one that has the integrated atomizer.
First impression is that it smells cheaper and a little crude. A very dry smelling fragrance and to me, this formulation is just very overbearing without any sexy, redeeming qualities, unlike the original.
Even if I weren't comparing it to the vintage I don't think this is a very good EdT.
I tried Antaeus recently, a men's cologne that shares the same lane as Santos, and although not for me, I respect it more, and it seems like that one has more character and a little more refinement than Santos.
19th October, 2017

Akthar Noir by Preferred Fragrance

Is this closer to vintage Drakkar Noir than current, reformulated Drakkar Noir?
I've no clue, as I've never had the privilege of trying the vintage.

But I can tell you that Akthar Noir starts out smelling nearly identical to current Drakkar Noir. It's the familiar Lemon Pledge for a minute than the dry down hits and you get a hint of this velvet smoothness that comes across much nicer than the crude dry down of actual Drakkar.
The problem is that there's this strong, melted plastic note to it. It's not pleasant at all, and smells like you're wearing some kind of solvent. That plastic note is really dominant.
I've tried quite a few of the Drakkar Noir clones and this is probably the worst and cheapest smelling.
19th October, 2017

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Fell in love with this instantly.
This is a bit of dry fragrance, first impression is that it smells like some expensive wood furniture and a bit of gasoline. I don't even like dry OR woody smelling cologne but that gasoline note is what makes this great.
What I most like about Dior's Fahrenheit is that it's so different from the powerhouses of the 80s, the fresh aquatics of the mid 90s, and the sugar sweets of the '10s.
A true masterpiece of masculine originality.
While this is ever so slightly dated, reminding me of the mid-to-late 90s for some reason, it doesn't feel like old-man cologne to me, not at all. It's very stylish and modern in my opinion.
It's a love it or hate it fragrance, and because of that, it's not an easy one to wear.
UPDATE:
I wore this again, and for the first hour or so it was projecting nicely, and smelled great. After about 2-3 hours, it was still projecting but it lost some of it's more pleasant-smelling qualities, and got rougher and dirty-smelling. To me, it was a very unclean type of smell, and I didn't like it.
I'm keeping the good rating, because maybe this fragrance just doesn't mix well with my skin, but I won't be wearing it again.
17th October, 2017 (last edited: 08th February, 2018)

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Smells dry and brittle.
I don't smell fruit or anything aquatic. This is just bad in my opinion.
I was thinking this would be similar to Eternity...boy was I wrong.

This smells very similar to Guy La Roche's Horizon. Before I tried either one of them, I saw people describe them as having an oceanic/beach-like quality. I assumed that meant it was fresh and aquatic...I'm guessing that description means you smell like you were bathing in salt water. Maybe.
More herbal and dry, nothing coming close to being watery in my opinion.

I now know why CK has a bad reputation in the fragrance community.
17th October, 2017

Quorum by Antonio Puig

In my fragrance journey for something awesome from the powerhouse era I found Quorum.
Like most cologne, the initial opening is nice. The dry down though...not good.
It's similar to smelling like a spice rack. Thyme and basil, stuff like that. I don't know why someone would want to smell like this.
The color of the bottle, brown and a sickly green should have given me a clue as to what it smelled like.
It's not AWFUL. IT doesn't make your eyes water, or give you a headache. It's not a punch in the face like Kouros or Obsession. It's a lot lighter than those. It smells so-so when sniffing the sprayer or just that initial first spray. But the herbs and spices smell, mixed with a BO/sweat vibe is just weird.

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

This is like Eternity mixed with a little bit of Cool Water.
I love Eternity, but dislike Cool Water.

The problem isn't just that it has elements of a fragrance that I dislike. It's that it comes across as a dull version of Calvin Klein's Eternity.
What makes Eternity successful is its sharpness, there's notes that give it this bold vibe. It's like a stiletto. Aqua Quorum is a butter knife. Meek.

The dry down is even worse as it gets a little powdery, and smells cheap.
I'd normally give this a neutral rating, since the scent isn't necessarily bad or stinky. But it's such a poor copy of Eternity in my opinion, that it comes across as an insult.

For the price you'd be better off just getting Curve or Lucky Brand, or an even cheaper sports fragrance from Adidas.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

I was a journey for a very green men's cologne, and found this. At first it reminded me as being related to Ralph Lauren's Polo, but in my opinion better, because reformulated Polo has a really bad dry down. I liked the greenness of this cologne, the 80s-ness of it.
I bought it.
I regretted it.

Man, this stuff is not good. I mean, it's kind of an interesting scent. It's memorable and not bad if you like sampling and collecting different fragrance. But as something to wear, it's horribly pungent. I would even classify this as being an offensive scent.
It just has this cheap, crass, tacky, vibe to it. Ew.
They dry down is SLIGHTLY more tolerable. And it does have a nostalgic quality to it...but I can't stand breathing this stuff in for long. I feel dirty wearing it.

I do like the bottle design though.

Aventus by Creed

Okay, first time trying out a niche fragrance on my skin.

First thoughts: smells more like a natural scent a guy would emit, rather than a chemical fragrance he applied. That's pretty impressive. It's musky, but there are other notes, which I'm guessing are the pineapple and French apple to elevate it just above a kind of sex smell. I don't detect the specific scent of pineapple, but I do get a hint of fruitiness that merges with the musk to make it smooth.
Some of the other reviewers describe this as a very masculine scent. I'd agree. It's not Antaeus or other powerhouses, it's far smoother. But it's definitely masculine, but not quite what I'd term macho. There's some testosterone here though.

Me personally, I'm a little baffled as to how this is such a popular men's cologne. The total lack of synthetic characteristics is really nice. But it's not a scent that I actually care for. It's TOO musky in my opinion. I don't think it's something I'd like to smell on someone, let alone myself.

03rd October, 2017 (last edited: 05th October, 2017)

Pancaldi by Hanorah

*This review is for the Concentree version.*

After spraying this on my wrist I mostly detect the smell of cinnamon and clove rising above everything else. Usually I can't stand those notes when they're so prominent (like in Obsession or Z-14) but I'm assuming the other heart notes are acting as a chaser in this fragrance cocktail. Still a little rough around the edges. At this point it's only okay.

After about two hours, the cinnamon and clove gets subdued or overpowered by something else. Is it oakmoss? Leather? I don't know but it's definitely different. The rough edges smooth out a bit, almost reaching this upper tier refinement, yet still maintaining that dirtiness that's present in vintage powerhouses. Is it a have a hint of soapiness even? It's a little nuanced.

That said, I just don't want to wear this. This is like something the Monopoly Man would wear, while enjoying a fine cigar in an exclusive gentleman's club. I picture an old, old man wearing this. I like and appreciate fragrances from this era, but this one just isn't that great. Try to get your hands on some vintage Santos by Cartier if you want to smell this style done better.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 12th January, 2018)

Adidas Ice Dive by Adidas

I really like this.
I feel like I shouldn't since it's like a $7 cologne but I do.
It's an extremely pleasing sports fragrance.
It's also really synthetic and it's overall composition comes across as a little rough or harsh, as you'd expect for the price. For that reason I probably won't wear it very often. It dries down kind of nice but in its final stage as a skin scent (2-3 hr mark) it becomes super generic.

The harshness and its generic final stage is why the neutral rating from me.

27th September, 2017 (last edited: 30th September, 2017)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Poppinj's review is pretty on the nose. At the time, Cool Water sent everything that came before it to the old folks home. But now, despite Cool Water still having a "freshness" to it, it not longer feels new.

Supposedly this has quite a bit of Dihydromyrcenol in it. I guess that's why it attacks my sense of smell so sharply, and gives me a headache.
This is a wonderfully unique style of fragrance (if you don't count GIT), but it's far too sharp for me to enjoy it.
I think it's something to be enjoyed in the context of the era it came out. It was a great response to the typical men's fragrances at the time: Polo, Quorum, Drakkar Noir, etc.
Today though? It's like it's trying to beat you over the head with how fresh and water-like it is. It's an overly strong aquatic.
18th September, 2017 (last edited: 07th October, 2017)

Legend Intense by Montblanc

The first blast of this got this cold, fresh, rich scent that is amazing. But it very rapidly dries down to this sugary sweet, pastry-like scent. I hate those types of fragrances. It reminds me of Invictus, and I don't like Invictus because it's like a powerhouse of cookies or sweets, and that stuff is cloying. And yet...women love it.

Anyway, for Legend Intense, it's similar in that sugar-sweet vibe, but there's at least a degree freshness here that isn't quite as heavy as Invictus, though it's still strong. And although I don't want to be smelling like a dessert in the literal sense, I have to admit, the spritz I put on my wrist had me thinking about eating my arm.

This is definitely not for me. I like old school powerhouses, I like 90s aquatics, but stuff like this I don't like.

But Legend Intense does smell clean, and I feel like it's the sugar-sweet men's cologne done right, I guess.
18th September, 2017

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Sometimes I appreciate this fragrance, sometimes I don't.
At times I think it's merely scent-of-lemonade, other times I find it refreshing and its cotton ball soft dry down is very clean and not at all cloying or rough.

For me, it's like a slightly lesser Acqua di Gio. I think it's a quality fragrance, it doesn't smell at all cheap or crass, and I always feel fresh and clean when wearing it.

I'll put it like this though: If I was to pay retail price for a designer cologne, I don't think I'd choose L'eau D'Issey. But at a discount I would swoop this up very quickly. On a scale of 1-10 I'd probably gives this a 7.

I think the Fraiche flanker might be the "grown up" version of this fragrance. I'll probably do a review of that one down the road.
01st September, 2017 (last edited: 12th September, 2017)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A new favorite!

But before I get to the praise, let me tell you, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme smells very dated! I'm a fan of older fragrances, and even to me, this one feels a little too conspicuous to wear in 2017.
This cologne says, "Hey baby, what's your sign?"
However, despite coming out in 1973 it smells nothing at all like Jovan Musk, or Halston 1-12 (which came out three years later). In my opinion, it's clearly an antecedent of fragrances like Drakkar Noir and Trussardi Uomo. Not necessarily in composition, but in style. Although it's undeniably macho, which might come across as sleazy to anyone not in their 50s, there's a freshness that permeates throughout the entirety of the fragrance's life. I finally get what people mean when they describe something as being soapy. It smells like the color of its bottle.
When I sprayed this on my wrist, I was constantly sniffing it throughout the day.
I like that this is clearly a fragrance for a man, macho, and yet surprisingly fresh. I wish this style of cologne was still in fashion but it's not.

WHAT IT'S NOT LIKE:
Usually I say what a cologne is like, but in my limited experience I can't think of anything that this one is similar to.
It's not like Brut which gets kind of powdery, it's not like any of the Jovan's which smell super pungent and oft putting to me, nor is it like the Halston brothers. It's not sand paper rough like Polo either.

CONCLUSION:
I don't see a young guy pulling this off at all. Shoot, I don't even know if an older guy can pull this off today. If you're thinking that you're going to find some unknown fragrance from yesteryear to compete with the dude's wearing Bleu de Chanel and 1 Million, forget it. This is not the one.
BUT...if you like old school men's fragrances pre-90s you're probably going to love this one.
I'm going to buy a bottle of this and wear it once in awhile just to make myself happy. That's how much I like this fragrance.
25th August, 2017 (last edited: 02nd September, 2017)

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Man, I don't like wearing this cologne. It's heavy, stuffy and cloying to me.
It's an oriental, very strong and heavy, and there's a lot of cinnamon and vanilla in there. Cinnamon isn't listed, so maybe it's nutmeg or clove that I'm smelling. But I thought it was cinnamon.
Anyway, like I said, I don't like wearing it, and I don't really differentiate this between younger/older guy-style. While it's distinctive and strong, I find it a little boring.
I can only see wearing this on really cold winter days, during the Christmas season. Wearing this to a Christmas gathering would make sense.
I thought maybe it just didn't work for me, but I've smelled it on others, and just found it far too simple and cinnamon-y.
I do respect the fragrance, I can see why it's popular, and I sometimes miss my old bottle, but this is something I simply don't wish to smell on myself or others.
21st August, 2017 (last edited: 04th January, 2018)

Trussardi Uomo (original) by Trussardi

Some word association with Trussardi Uomo: bold, dirty, raunchy, and sex.

This is definitely an '80s fragrance and if you're a younger guy, you run the risk of drawing too much attention to yourself. There's a lot of testosterone behind this fragrance, so if you're even a little self-conscious, you're going to come across like a try hard. This cologne is probably safer for the 40+ crowd. However, it's far from an "old man" fragrance. It's not like Brut, Grey Flannel, or even Kouros. Trussardi Uomo reeks of virility.

The spray goes on thick, and you'll either be a Don Juan or a Disco Stu. As the top notes fade, the raunchiness kicks in. Then it gets a little dirty about an hour or two in. For me this is a bit of a rough patch, and it begins to remind of current Polo green's dry down, or even Preferred Stock's. This is when the dirtiness becomes most pronounced, but unlike the other colognes I mentioned, there's other pleasant notes to keep things afloat. When it gets to it's final dry down stage the dirtiness leaves and you're rewarded with this this really smooth-yet-strong, sexy scent.
This is probably one of thee best final dry down stages I've yet to experience in a men's fragrance. It even smells more refreshing than its top notes, when usually the reverse is true.
I've been wearing this now for 9 hours now and I can still smell it on my wrist and it's great!

This is a classic, and an '80s masterpiece. But remember, there's no middle ground wearing this. You either succeed or fail with it.

21st August, 2017

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

I bought this when it first came out, when I didn't know anything about men's fragrances. The girl at the counter told me this was her favorite. Looking back, she probably had a quota to meet and was told to push this particular bottle.
Anyway, this stuff is sharp and screechy. It smells like it SHOULD be good but it isn't. Super synthetic and...screechy. Yeah, that's the best word for it.
It's really cloying to.
I guess the name comes from the effect of it, because it smells simultaneously like a light fragrance and a heavy one, but they never successfully intermingle.
It's definitely an interesting experiment, but not one worth paying for.

WHO SHOULD WEAR IT:
No one?
No, maybe it's not that bad. This fragrance skews towards the younger crowd, mid-to-early 20s, but this is a little too experimental for an older guy. You would expect someone a little seasoned to know better.
But its not quite that bad. I can't stand it on myself, but if I came across someone wearing it, I wouldn't gag. I'd probably just think, "Oh, there wearing cologne."
If someone DOES like this, they're probably going to say "Oh, that's nice cologne you're wearing," not, "Oh, you smell nice." Like I said, super synthetic.

WHAT IT'S SIMILAR TO:
Polo Explorer. Polo Explorer is Contradiction done right. That one is pretty nice.

CONCLUSION:
I give credit for Calvin Klein creating another very distinctive men's fragrance. It's just not a good fragrance. It's unsure of what it wants to be. Insecure cologne for the insecure guy.
21st August, 2017

Lucky You for Men by Lucky Brand

Similar to Curve. I get the "green" that everyone mentions, and I really like it. The weird thing is in the dry down. To me it smells almost like rubber or something like that. Burnt plastic maybe? Something really synthetic, that's for sure. Almost unpleasant, and tells people that you're wearing something really cheap.

The longevity is not really good. I get like 3-4 hours tops, if that.

Vintage Claiborne Curve for Men is much better. If you want this type of scent, track down vintage Curve.
19th August, 2017 (last edited: 18th January, 2018)

Halston 1-12 by Halston

Man, this must have been really something back in the day, before it got reformulated.
I LOVE the opening of this fragrance.
Is this what's considered a "green" opening? I don't know but I love it. It's got an old school vibe to it, early 80s in my mind, even though it came out in 1976.
The only bad thing is that as the top notes evaporate, what you're left with is something very powdery and soft. It's not unpleasant at all. It's nice. But you can envision your grandma's perfume smelling something like this.
In the context of the era it was produced, it was probably awesome, but if you wear this today, at best you'll come across like an anachronism and at worst, like you mistakenly put on grannie's perfume.

Many people say that the reformulation of this and its brother Z-14 don't do the originals justice. The original of this was probably killer.

That said, I give this a neutral. I'd give it a thumbs up, because it's a pleasant smell, but I don't think anyone can really pull this off with its dry down these days. It's just not that masculine.

BUT...it's cheap ($10), the opening is fantastic for those two minutes, and the rest of it is at least pleasant. I really like the bottle too. If EA Fragrances can ever get this back to whatever it was originally like, I'd gladly pay more to try it out.
19th August, 2017 (last edited: 21st August, 2017)

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

This smells just like how I remember.
Maybe the original formulation was even better, but it's been awhile, and as things are, it smells the same to me.
It's a light smelling fragrance compared to what was in fashion before it. This has a sexy, seductive quality to it, but there's a little classy, sophistication to it.
I'm not really prone to wearing this with shorts and sandals, but you could. I think it suits a slightly more formal occasion though.

Longevity is weird. Some days it's gone in like 3 hours, others days it lasts about 6.

I'm surprised that this cologne is as maligned as much as it is. It's easily one of my favorite fragrances of all time.

Gillette Cool Wave by Gillette Series

I love the top notes of this. Super masculine, cool and refreshing. When it dries down to it's final stage though, it's this really heavy mossy scent (I'm assuming) and that's all there is to it. On me it's really rough, dry, and not really pleasant at all.
A lot of people are saying how old school this aftershave is. Is this really how a lot of men's fragrances were back in the day?
I can appreciate other tough dry downs like Trussardi Uomo and Drakkar Noir, but this stuff doesn't have enough going on to make the dry down enjoyable.

Top notes are awesome, then it gets a little drier but still masculine, then it just gets rough and dry. Not how I want to smell.
But maybe it's just how it interacts with my skin or maybe it's a great scent that I can't appreciate due my inexperience with that era's fragrances.
I give it a neutral rating.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I wasn't happy with this.
This smells just like cinnamon, or as others have called it "Big Red gum." That's all it is.
I don't like to wear oriental fragrances but I definitely appreciate the different kinds out there. But this stuff...it's just cinnamon mostly.
Even reformulated 1-12 is better than this in my opinion.
The weird thing is that the aftershave of Z-14 smells a little more complex. THAT isn't bad. I think aftershave's tend to have a little oakmoss these days. I know Quorum's aftershave does, and Z-14's does to.

If you want to check out Z-14's aftershave, you might like it. But the cologne is not good IMO.