Reviews by Abbiss

Éclat by Fragonard

A floral gourmand you can smell it has been created before those were fashionable. It made me think of JPG’s Scandale but has been made before it of course. Aerial.
08th March, 2019

Santal Royal by Guerlain

How gorgeous! It went directly to my wishlist for a full bottle. It’s mostly rose and oud, but it has a dry twist, but with a very unisex sweetness which is fruity. Great performances.
05th March, 2019

Émilie by Fragonard

Émilie feels like a lighter and more modern version of an old, heavy fragrance. It’s a floral (mostly rose and violet) with some sweetness. It’s got, like other fragrances from Fragonard, an airy feeling.
04th March, 2019

Demeter Naturals - Lavender by Demeter Fragrance Library

Demeter is always a bit oily, but here you’re spraying oil and it can ruin everything with stains. It’s light natural lavender oil, and I don’t see why I’d use this rather than another natural oil. It doesn’t have anything else than lavender, unlike what is described here.
04th March, 2019

Ile d'Amour by Fragonard

Musky flowers and apple. A bit like DKNY Be Delicious. What I dislike most is that it makes me think of this “aftersmell” that lingers in every Demeter.
18th February, 2019

Belle de Soleil by Fragonard

I could guess from the name how it would smell. Citrus, frangipani, tiare, and I was expecting amber - we get benzoin. Yet it’s unexpectedly good. Fresh and light. Really not heavy or cloying but sweet nonetheless. Modernly vintage. I can recognize it’s from Fragonard by the airy feeling the last note you smell with each sniff leaves.
17th February, 2019

Jubilation 25 by Amouage

Lots of incense and very Amouage and feminine. Flowery and savory kind of gourmand. Then it becomes overly soapy and strong in the dry down. A white musk of that famous cream in a blue tin type. I start disliking it.
16th February, 2019

Quercus by Penhaligon's

I’m also one of those who experienced Quercus in a hotel, through a whole collection of products. It’s an average, inoffensive and light eau de Cologne.
13th February, 2019

Eau Néroli Ylang by Autour du Parfum

This fragrance is exactly what you think it is: a floral with a bit of fruit. Very indolent. Very strong and feminine.

L'Eau d'Ambre by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I finally found the terra-cotta balls in a shop and went in for a sniff or two. I smelled it before Eau d’Ambre Extrême, and of course, as any amber fragrance, I loved it a lot. But it was spicy, less soft and sensuous than it’s big sister, and my attention was taken away. I’ll have them reunited soon anyway.

Michael Kors for Men by Michael Kors

That’s a typical but elegant and good make fragrance, with a fresh opening and a spicy/woody evolution. The dry down goes towards a non-cloying sweetness.

Histoire d'Orangers by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Histoire d’orangers is pretty simple. Oranger should be kept singular though. It’s no plural of a fragrance. The orange blossom is not too sweet and the neroli not too indolic. Just enough for a fresh and clean fragrance. Good!

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mûre et musc and mûre et musc extrême are very similar (more similar then eau d’ambre and eau d’ambre extrême from the same house, for example). The opening of the normal version is stronger, generally greener (like a plant liquor) and goes slowly towards the blackberry. The extreme version is a diesel. It’s darker, evolving to something strong, still green but slightly sweeter. If I had to judge, I’d put mûre et musc in the male category and mûre et musc extrême in the female one.

Natura Fabularis : 9 Arcana Rosa by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The rose in Arcana Rosa is real, without the lemongrass itchiness I cant stand in roses. It’s almost dessert sweet, but mature without feeling old-fashioned. The amber-like powderness makes it very feminine, and the bitterness of the vetiver goes all masculine. Perfect unisex with gorgeous performances.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I entered a shop selling the whole Artisan Parfumeur collection because I love their amber fragrances and saw the much-envied terra-cotta balls. I wanted to let someone I love smell some things of the collection, but then the name attracted me. I tried this one on first, and last. I told the seller I’d smell it all night and probably would come back the day after to buy it, but simultaneously I was already addicted by its roasted nuts smell and gave her my credit card. Just have all my money, Bois Farine, no question asked. I’ve been buying memories.

Mandarina Corsica by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Mandarina Corsica is a bit surprising. A mix of candy “fake” mandarin with a little bit of flower you happen to love without believing it. It’s uplifting for sure, but a bit linear.

Explosions d’Emotions : Rappelle-Toi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I smelled Rappelle-toi on paper, in a shop full of l’Artisan Parfumeur fragrances, and it didn’t strike me as the others. I remember I said:’oh, it’s quite good, for a floral’, but I’m not a huge floral fan and I got overwhelmed by all the other original fragrances from the house. I should smell it again with a little bit more attention, but I know it deserves a positive rating.

Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur

What a great and original oudh. It’s got no rose, but a lot of wood and spices. Very special and might be useful if you want to smell real oudh.
31st January, 2019

Rose des Champs by L'Occitane

I’m not sure I’m reviewing the right fragrance as l’Occitane has many rose fragrances. The rose I’m reviewing is fresh and powdery, without the lemongrass note I dislike in rose. Very good for the price, with perfect projection and longevity. It’s accidentally good for layering.
31st January, 2019

I'm Home by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

This is very good. Another unconfusingly LUSH fragrance, with awesome sillage and longevity, even in winter. I get cardamom and coffee. A bit of bitter chocolate maybe, but it’s not sweet as the notes listed here let you expect. Spicy and very unisex.
30th January, 2019

Tam Dao Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

I’m not a fan of woods in general, because they project too masculine for me. I’m a tiny little woman. I had the same impression with Tam Dao in the opening, but then it softens to something like a powdery cardamom. Sillage is a bit weak, so all in all it’s totally wearable for me.
27th January, 2019

Lucky Girl by Oilily

A clean fruity floral, a bit sickening and boring from its sweetness. Good for the market it’s targeting.
22nd January, 2019

Calèche Eau de Toilette by Hermès

Finally I found an open bottle at the duty free. Calèche is a nice powdery vintage floral with a soapy, itchy feel. I like the good performances it has, without being too empowering.
11th January, 2019

Gucci pour Homme II by Gucci

Gucci pour homme is a very good cold fruit fragrance, with a lot of cucumber feel. It’s similar to many others but has some quality to it. Longevity is good.

Déclaration by Cartier

A gorgeous cardamom opening that goes towards a spicy mandarine. Beautiful!

White Linen by Estée Lauder

What smells more like a bitter vintage greenish floral than an Estée Lauder fragrance? Another floral Estée Lauder fragrance. Ok and potent.

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Beautiful Belle by Estée Lauder

I love tuberose and I love when it’s treated this way. It’s sweet but not syrupy, with a green, clear fruitiness. Performances are good.

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

I love tuberose, but I don’t like when it’s treated this way. It’s an average vintage bitter fragrance, with too many different flowers and some spices. There’s itchy greenness. Very good performances.

Peau de Soie by Starck

Soapy, woody and powdery, with a bit of amber. There is nothing to dislike in peau de soie, and the name suits it well. An instant favorite that attracts compliments from the loved ones.
23rd December, 2018 (last edited: 12th January, 2019)