Reviews by Kitty2Shoes

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Finding an almost empty bottle of Jardins de Bagatelle in my mom's house reminded me how much I loved and enjoyed this scent in my youth. Reminds me of walking through Regents Parks in the rose garden and area of Kew Gardens through all the flowers.

Vivid yet soft florals that bring a quiet smile to my face every time I wear this one.

Casmir by Chopard

Many years ago I used to work in a bookstore that also had a cafe and I was one of the baristas. I purchased Casmir with one of my paychecks and wore it quite often during the late 90's. I would often get asked by customers what items we were baking or what drink I made that had that excellent scent.

Casmir has a very creamy vanillin base that also has a 'can't quite put my finger on it' top notes that in that environment often was mistaken for baked goods. When restocking books I would often have loads of customers come up to me just to smell the perfume and ask me what it was. I was completely flattered until one creepy older man kept walking up to me and smelling me over and over. He returned quite often to sniff me and I told him to just buy a bottle of Casmir and do his sniffing and home. I had to shelve Casmir and switched to Pleasures, which turned out to be the repellent scent for this particular individual.

Casmir is a good cheaper gourmand fragrance and quite a heavy one too. Sadly it evokes too many stalker quality memories for me to wear again.

Insolence Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

You want to smell like fruity parma violets and leave a multifaceted rainbow of (as my 6 year old would say) 'what the WHAT?' trailing behind you? Insolence is for you!

I love the scent, the violets blaring, the tinge of icing sugar powdery goodness mixed in and the slightest hint of jammy berries. One spray is enough to part a small room of people. Two or three spray can part a crowd. Insolence gets people standing to attention. I've been told that people know I walked down a hallway when I wear Insolence.

Be careful with this one, it can clash unmercifully with other scents and should never be worn in small spaces. I don't wear it often, but when I do I go in bold and brash.

L'Art et la Matière : Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

Yummy vanilla. If you've ever smelled Nielsen-Massey's Vanilla Bean Paste, this is it in a perfume. Not at all over the top sweet, but a rich, as close to true scent as can be.

La Petite Robe Noire Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

My first exposure to La Petite Robe Noire was a Guerlain miniatures order. The bottle of LPRN broke somehow during the shipment and the box, the wrapping paper - everything - smelled with LPRN. Obviously it had been saturating for a long while.

You know how when exploring your grandma's or parents house and they have this stuff sitting in boxes or away in a corner how it takes on some weird old peppery smell that you can't really identify except that it's something that has been stored and going stale and musty for a while? That is the exact undercurrent the predominates in La Petite Robe Noire as the top notes settle. Combine that with some Victoria's Secret or Bath and Body Works berry body lotion and that is what LPRN smells like. I have no desire to smell like it nor to smell it on others.

In fact, my husband bought me a bottle of this blind after my miniature bottle broke. I wore it once and he realized his mistake and I promptly tried to wash it off. I'll give it points for massive silage and longevity because I still smelled it on myself the next day after a shower. I brought it into work and (surprise surprise) no one wanted it and everyone complained about the 'weird cherry hand soap smell' in the office and it was dutifully banned.

Galop d'Hermès by Hermès

Gorgeous balance of rose and leather. This is one that smells different on the paper than on the skin. Both the rose and leather hug the skin and have a perfect balance of both - one may come out to play more pending the heat and environment, but doesn't overpower at all.

I mirror what Kotori states about the blotters touching Galop - I sprayed Galop on the blotter and placed it in my handbag along with others and my handbag still smells like Galop two weeks later, although a milder lingering hint of it.

Aqua Allegoria Rosa Pop by Guerlain

Dear Guerlain - I'd appreciate it if you'd keep in your collection one of the Aqua Allegoria's that contains peony notes. First you bring Pivoine Magnifica out and then discontinue it, and now Rosa Pop has been discontinued. Rosa Pop filled the void for me that Pivoine Magnifica did - bubbly, bright, crisp and that peony note!

Rosa Pop was an unexpected find that was too late. Get this one if you can.

Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde by Guerlain

Very bright and crisp lemon top notes. Unlike other Aqua Allegoria perfumes, this one has decent longevity (3-4 hours give or take) in high heat and humidity. Colder weather it will come across as brash, but perfect for spring/summer and environments that are warm.

Don't douse too much on and you run the the risk of smelling like kitchen/bathroom cleaner.

Bright lemony perfumes are not my cup of tea, but it's a nice change to smell this among all the chocolate/gourmand scents out there - its a clear light in the fog and haze.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Pour Monsieur brings to mind Cary Grant in Charade or Gary Oldman as George Smiley. Elegant navy chalkstripe suit or a gray flannel three piece townsuit.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

One of the better sporty perfumes. Crisp, clean, and I detect a hint of Irish Spring soap in there during the dry down. Nice aquatic top notes that last throughout most of the day

Daisy Love by Marc Jacobs

First time I've encountered cloudberries in a perfume. Cloudberry has been used in cosmetics for the longest time, especially in the Nordic brand Lumene where I was first introduced to the cloudberry scent (looks like a raspberry but tastes more like a slightly bitter apple). The cloudberry lends a unique scent to Daisy Love, more of a bright and crisp apple top note and I question how true to the cloudberry note it really is as it's over dominated by an uber sticky sweet undertone that pushes through as the scent wears on.

This flanker is marketed hard towards millennials and I can see why, it's very sweet, very fruity, and has a tinge of musk underneath. Nothing special stand out with Daisy Love.

Elie Saab Le Parfum Rose Couture by Elie Saab

Flirty, floral, and fruity. I definitely pick up bits of lush nectar here and there. A bit jammy sweet in the beginning. Very clean and simple and none of the bits overpowering. Excellent price point for those looking for a perfume gift at a lower budget.

Acqua di Parma Rosa Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Echoing other reviews - where is the rose? Lightly spiced musk and lily seems to be the real shining star here. I can barely detect the violet or peony. Completely gone after an hour of wear.

Acqua di Parma Peonia Nobile by Acqua di Parma

Too fruity to be a stand out peony perfume. I don't like it but I don't hate it either. As much as this pains me to say it - I'd recommend Jo Malone's Peony and Blush Suede or even Stella's Peony.

Narciso by Narciso Rodriguez

I had to visit a number of stores in order to test this particular perfume - it has taken a complete backseat to the recent launch of Narciso Rouge, Poudree, and the pink For Her bottles. While I'm not a fan of the For Her perfume, I found Narciso to be very agreeable. Totally inoffensive and can be worn by anyone.

Touted as a 'powdery' perfume, it doesn't have the overwhelming powder notes that I usually detest. I enjoyed the musky wooded dry down the most as it has a most delicious almost candy floss scent after a bit that continually has me mushing my nose onto arm to keep inhaling the scent.

While there is nothing earth shattering about Narciso, this is one of the mainstream perfumes out there that I plan to eventually purchase a full bottle of.

Cristalle Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Cristalle has a shrill and piercing opening which takes a bit to settle down. It's like getting hit in the face with an icy cold snowball - so cold, brisk, and sharp that it takes a while to bring yourself back down to earth.

Cristalle was my introduction into the green scents. I recall buying a bottle in my early 20's to wear to the first job I had that required a business suit, hosiery, and heels. I wanted to look and mean business and smell like it too. I was also a smoker at the time and my young self believed that the Cristalle would counter act the heavy cigarette deposits on my clothing, skin, and hair much in the way Febreeze is marketed today - sadly I was wrong. I went on Cristalle overload, perhaps it was because my sense of smell was altered by years of smoking, and I drenched my body and clothes with Cristalle.

I also became the shining example of the one person in the office who was asked to stop wearing a perfume because not only does Cristalle pack a punch with one spray alone, but imagine 10 sprays of Cristalle on the senses of your co-workers in a not so well ventilated office space. I was banned from wearing it and I went on to try other ventures in the perfume world, playing it safe for a while.

Lesson learned - Cristalle doesn't cover up cigarette smoke, but it also wallops a punch from just one spray alone. The astringency does settle down after a hour or two and eventually fades away...only if you don't drench yourself like I used to.

While I have fond memories of Cristalle, I am not motivated to buy another bottle. I would much rather prefer spend more time with Eau de Campagne by Sisley instead.

No. 19 by Chanel

Heavy on the powdery iris in the opening and after about 2 hours it finally settles into a very clean but yet piercing green and musky scent. Sadly it also gave me a headache for a short time. I can see where the younger crowd would equate this to an 'old lady perfume', but I prefer this scent on a guy rather than myself. I agree that No. 19 is a very masculine fragrance. Although I cannot wear it myself, I love the smell of No. 19 on others.

Izia by Sisley

Lush citrus amber rose with a touch of peony. Izia gets better the more it sits on the skin. One of the few perfumes whose scent improved the longer it was on the paper test strip and on the skin. If your not a fan of aldehydes or a soapy rose, don't worry, both of these settle down after a bit. My favorite Sisley perfume thus far.
01st July, 2018

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

Salty orange

Not a sweet orange nor a bitter orange, but a metallic yet salty orange overtone - a bit ozonic as well as the citric scent settles down. Strange oceanic ambiance as it settles down and the wood tones come out to play. The best part is when a slight breeze happens while wearing Eau de Merveilles wafting the salty orange notes around you.

As time goes on there is a slight scent of honeysuckle mixed in. Strangely addicting scent that morphs and changes pending body heat, outside temperature and body chemistry but manages to retain a hint of orange, sea, and woods - each one ebbs and flow in strength as it wears on. Shame it doesn't last very long - I had to do a second application around the 4 hour mark.
01st July, 2018

Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès

I'm just going to come out and say it - it smells like it belongs in the Aqua Allegorica line and not what I expect from Hermes at all. I openly admit I'm not a fan of rhubarb, but the scent is light and pleasant, very acute in the beginning and dries down to a barely there reminder.

Most disappointing is the longevity - gone after 30 or so minutes. That being said if your looking for a light fragrance for someone who doesn't want a heavy hitter or desires a barely there perfume, it's a good choice and with rhubarb a bit atypical than the gourmands and explosive other florals out there.
30th June, 2018

Jour d'Hermès by Hermès

Quiet juicy floral.

Jour d'Hermes is a perfect example of why one shouldn't judge a perfume by descriptive notes before sampling. Had I read 'floral notes' prior to trying this, I would have completely waved it off and not even bothered to try it. By trying it blind I was swooned and courted with a myriad of notes I couldn't quite put my finger on and ended up falling in love with. I keep catching hints of other perfumes (Dahlia Divin le Nectar springs to mind for the creamy musky notes) as it dries down. This one is a shape shifter of sorts and I enjoyed the ride from first spray to end of day.
30th June, 2018

Amarige by Givenchy

Here I find myself buying a new bottle of Amarige just this weekend. Just one spray and I took a trip down nostalgia lane. Amarige has incredible longevity and in the summer heat doesn't overwhelm either. It reminded me of my youth in the 90's in all my grunge wear - flannels and Doc Martins.

Amirage, along with Pleasures and Casmir were the core fragrances in my late teens and early 20's and I still have a sweet spot for them.
29th June, 2018

Proust Perfumes : Oriane by 4160 Tuesdays

Described on the website as a fantasy floral made with natural absolutes and contemporary synthetics.

Opening is a light powdery floral note that settles into a cold cream/talcum powder scent. For those that love the 'makeup' smell or cold cream notes, or in my case it's reminiscent of my grandmother's 1950's style bathroom, this is one for you.

Oriane dries down to a powdery vanilla, which I've noticed in a number of 4160 Tuesdays perfumes that focus on florals.

14th December, 2017

Black Velvet Café by 4160 Tuesdays

Well done - very well done. Definitely a woody, leather and tobacco accord. Reminds me of the pubs before they banned smoking inside - the pubs with all the dark and old wooden benches, tables, and corner seating with the leather backs and seating.

Opens with a slight band-aid tinge but quickly settles down. I did not detect any coffee notes at all on me, but heavy on the leather.

While not my usual cup of tea, I can appreciate it for what it is. Great longevity, a little went a very long way.
12th December, 2017

English Bluebell by Yardley

Wonderful fruity floral - starts fresh and sweet and ends with a light vanilla and musk dry down. I'm a huge fan of peony and it shines well with the bluebell and peach undertones.

Great longevity and blows Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell out of the water for a fraction of the cost. Highly recommend.
09th December, 2017

April Violets by Yardley

Powdery parma violet scent. Very light, easy to wear. Sweet but not overpoweringly so. I would have enjoyed this in my younger years.
09th December, 2017

Bhodi Language by 4160 Tuesdays

Subdued scents of various Australian plants focusing on woods. None of the wood notes are overpowering and it's a very soft and yet slightly sweet wood scented perfume. Wood shavings comes to mind. Although unisex, can definitely see this more on a man than woman, although my hubby really liked the perfume on me.
05th December, 2017 (last edited: 08th December, 2017)

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters by 4160 Tuesdays

Strawberry, Blackcurrant and Pear dominate the opening. I did not detect any rose. This is what La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain SHOULD have been. Fruit notes are not overly sweet and dry down to a softer tone.

Well done combination by 4160 Tuesdays, it does truly smell like I just cut up some fresh fruit, but not overwhelmingly so.

Longevity is not a strong point for this perfume and it faded from a fortissimo of fruit to a piano in a short period of time.
05th December, 2017

Babylon Sunset / Says Alice by 4160 Tuesdays

Babylon Sunset/Says Alice starts with a peachy/nectarine note with a powdery base. It's a very warm fragrance and it took a long while for me to be comfortable with it - not a perfume I would normally pick for myself. As the day went on the powdery note moved to a musky base and the nectarine note was faint, but still there. By the end of the day, I did detect a vanilla base and a bit of amber.

What did surprise me was another co-worker pulled me aside and asked what I was wearing because she loved the scent, something which hasn't happened in a while. The perfume was definitely more pleasing to people around me.

First impressions - while Babylon Sunset is not generally my cup of tea, and it did take me a while to get used to it, overall I give it a positive review. While not a perfume I would buy for myself, this is definitely one I would pick out for someone else. It has grown on me. I find that others like a peachy/vanilla scent on me.

Babylon Sunset is similar to Lancôme's Tresor, and is like the lighter sister of it.
05th December, 2017

Dahlia Divin Le Nectar de Parfum by Givenchy

Considering I have almost emptied my bottle of this after buying it a year ago tells you I've reached for this one quite a bit.

For me the vanilla and the tonka bean really shine after all the top notes have worn off. There is a really sweet nectar note mixed with a very creamy base. Slightly gourmand, but not overly cloying.

Recommend for colder weather or going out at night. Has great longevity as I can still detect it on myself after a full day at work.
29th November, 2017