Reviews by Kitty2Shoes

Proust Perfumes : Oriane by 4160 Tuesdays

Described on the website as a fantasy floral made with natural absolutes and contemporary synthetics.

Opening is a light powdery floral note that settles into a cold cream/talcum powder scent. For those that love the 'makeup' smell or cold cream notes, or in my case it's reminiscent of my grandmother's 1950's style bathroom, this is one for you.

Oriane dries down to a powdery vanilla, which I've noticed in a number of 4160 Tuesdays perfumes that focus on florals.

14th December, 2017

Black Velvet Café by 4160 Tuesdays

Well done - very well done. Definitely a woody, leather and tobacco accord. Reminds me of the pubs before they banned smoking inside - the pubs with all the dark and old wooden benches, tables, and corner seating with the leather backs and seating.

Opens with a slight band-aid tinge but quickly settles down. I did not detect any coffee notes at all on me, but heavy on the leather.

While not my usual cup of tea, I can appreciate it for what it is. Great longevity, a little went a very long way.
12th December, 2017

English Bluebell by Yardley

Wonderful fruity floral - starts fresh and sweet and ends with a light vanilla and musk dry down. I'm a huge fan of peony and it shines well with the bluebell and peach undertones.

Great longevity and blows Jo Malone's Wild Bluebell out of the water for a fraction of the cost. Highly recommend.
09th December, 2017

April Violets by Yardley

Powdery parma violet scent. Very light, easy to wear. Sweet but not overpoweringly so. I would have enjoyed this in my younger years.
09th December, 2017

Bhodi Language by 4160 Tuesdays

Subdued scents of various Australian plants focusing on woods. None of the wood notes are overpowering and it's a very soft and yet slightly sweet wood scented perfume. Wood shavings comes to mind. Although unisex, can definitely see this more on a man than woman, although my hubby really liked the perfume on me.
05th December, 2017 (last edited: 08th December, 2017)

Mother Nature's Naughty Daughters by 4160 Tuesdays

Strawberry, Blackcurrant and Pear dominate the opening. I did not detect any rose. This is what La Petite Robe Noire by Guerlain SHOULD have been. Fruit notes are not overly sweet and dry down to a softer tone.

Well done combination by 4160 Tuesdays, it does truly smell like I just cut up some fresh fruit, but not overwhelmingly so.

Longevity is not a strong point for this perfume and it faded from a fortissimo of fruit to a piano in a short period of time.
05th December, 2017

Babylon Sunset / Says Alice by 4160 Tuesdays

Babylon Sunset/Says Alice starts with a peachy/nectarine note with a powdery base. It's a very warm fragrance and it took a long while for me to be comfortable with it - not a perfume I would normally pick for myself. As the day went on the powdery note moved to a musky base and the nectarine note was faint, but still there. By the end of the day, I did detect a vanilla base and a bit of amber.

What did surprise me was another co-worker pulled me aside and asked what I was wearing because she loved the scent, something which hasn't happened in a while. The perfume was definitely more pleasing to people around me.

First impressions - while Babylon Sunset is not generally my cup of tea, and it did take me a while to get used to it, overall I give it a positive review. While not a perfume I would buy for myself, this is definitely one I would pick out for someone else. It has grown on me. I find that others like a peachy/vanilla scent on me.

Babylon Sunset is similar to Lancôme's Tresor, and is like the lighter sister of it.
05th December, 2017

Dahlia Divin Le Nectar de Parfum by Givenchy

Considering I have almost emptied my bottle of this after buying it a year ago tells you I've reached for this one quite a bit.

For me the vanilla and the tonka bean really shine after all the top notes have worn off. There is a really sweet nectar note mixed with a very creamy base. Slightly gourmand, but not overly cloying.

Recommend for colder weather or going out at night. Has great longevity as I can still detect it on myself after a full day at work.
29th November, 2017

Luna by Penhaligon's

Wonderful surprise sample I received after placing a Penhaligon's order. It's a light fruity floral fragrance and one I did not expect to enjoy so much. I absolutely adored the citrus opening, but after the initial dry-down the rose and jasmine came forth and neither are super overpowering, just a very light floral fragrance. I have yet to detect the juniper when wearing Luna.

Perfect for hotter and warmer weather. It's very hard to find anything offensive with Luna. My only caveat is the staying power, which lasts about 5 hours at most.
29th November, 2017

La Violette by Annick Goutal

La Violette is a great reference violet when smelled right out of the bottle. Phenomenal violet scent on paper, when smelling the bottle...but when sprayed on my skin, it turns into something else. The almost parma violet smell dissipates with incredible speed and all that is left is a piercing rose/raspberry base.

La Violette was extremely disappointing for me.

Lys Méditerranée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Wonderful aquatic/marine scent and one of my favorite Malle perfumes. I'm no fan of lily scents, but this one won me over by miles. Lys Mediterranee is also quite a 'clean' scent and one has to work hard to find something offensive in this perfume and can easily be worn by both men and women.

Sadly the longevity of Lys Mediterranee is a slight disappointment and only lasts about 4 hours at most on me, which is the only reason I haven't sprung for a full bottle.

Salome by Papillon Artisan Perfumes

Salome is not my bag of chips. I purchased a generous sample after seeing Salome win so many Basenote accolades. I've been trying for many months now with Salome, bringing it back out and giving it another go. I'm no stranger to complex assaults on my olfactory sensors, but Salome never tames them.

As other reviewers have stated, a little goes a long way. Salome has also offended those around me. I've receive more negative feedback and comments when wearing Salome.

Tocade by Rochas

Slightly gourmand vanilla-rose perfume. I don't find the rose overpowering at all and it is a delightful blend. Tocade does dry down to a pleasant, happy, base. Very easy to wear and a great safe 'office' perfume. I've received compliments from others when I wear Tocade. Strangely enough I don't smell it on myself as much as others can.

Don't put put off by the toy-ish looking bottle which may turn a few off or the lower price, as Tocade runs in the $30 or £20 range for a bottle, it's a great purchase for those wanting to try a rose-vanilla but tight in the budget department.

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Drole de Rose was recommended to me as a 'makeup' scented perfume. Indeed the violet and rose do remind me of my grandma's bathroom (in a good way) and it has a slight cold cream scent to it. The iris lends to the powder/compact scent to wrap it up all together.

I'm not a huge fan of powdery iris scents, hence why I cannot stand L'Heure Bleue, but the iris in Drole de Rose does calms down after the first 20 minutes or so of wearing.

Drole is almost a stripped down version of Misia, and the two are very comparable and if hard pressed between the two, I would go with Drole de Rose.

Aleksandr by Arquiste

Aleksandr was recommended to me while trying to find the perfect 'makeup' violet scent. Aleksandr is far from that 'makeup' scent but rather delves into an extremely pleasant opposite direction.

The opening is sharp, which is the fir balsam note, but it dries down to a completely lush leathery violet. Perfect for autumn or winter month, Aleksandr feels like a lush winter coat or blanket enveloping you while riding in a rich leather-interior car or even sled.

While Aleksandr is geared more towards men, I wear this myself and receive compliments from my male colleagues when wearing this.

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

First smell of Rien and I for a moment thought I would like it. Out of the bottle and onto the skin, a different story unfolded. Based on the notes listed, this one should be right up my alley...however it took a different turn.

While sitting on the sofa after wearing Rien for about an hour....my husband asked me if the cat peed in the room or if the cat box needed to be cleaned. I said he hadn't and I had just emptied and refilled the litter box with fresh litter earlier that morning. He left the room and walked in again and asked if one of the boys had accidentally peed in the room or hid their wet clothing (as one not quite totally toilet trained child of our is apt to do - hide the accidental incidents). After looking around the room for the potential source, he stated it was me and didn't realize it until he got close to me. I thought it might have been my clothing or who else know.

Yes, I smelled like pee thanks to Rien. I figured I might as well ride out the storm and see where the fragrance would take me. After a few hours the urine smell did finally diminish and instead was taken over by...you know how around mid-January when you finally decide to take down the once-live Christmas tree and it still has the faint tree sap residue with a slight tinge of mildew...that where Rien decided to leave itself for the remainder of the ride.

Strangely other Etat fragrances I've quite like, not passionately, but admire them for their qualities even if they aren't for me, such as Fat Electrician. Most of the Etat range I've tested has short longevity on my skin, but not Rien....Rien defends it's territory, sinks its teeth into my skin and refuses to let go. I'll give it kudos at least for that as it is the only admirable quality about it.
22nd April, 2017

Bijou Romantique by Etat Libre d'Orange

I enjoyed the first hour of wearing Bijou Romantique, but it turned into a two hours of 'meh' afterwards. Bijou Romantique had very little staying power on me and by the fourth hours it was completely gone, even on the areas I spritz heavily.

It had a very chocolate-gourmand note, and with the coconut reminds me of a Mounds bar with a splash of powder and a twist of lemon at first. I'm not a fan of the heavy syrupy sweet fragrances, but at least it had a nice dry down at the end. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.
18th April, 2017

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

When I first wore Fat Electrician, I tried to search all the boxes of my memory for what it reminded me of. The more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it, but just couldn't put a finger on it until now. It reminds me of when I was younger and I was dragged to church (Catholic church) and during certain holy days the priest would bring out the incense and bath the entire congregation with it and it filled the entire area. At the end of the service we all walked out with the scent of the incense clinging to our clothes and hair.

If you have a fancy dress like I did that required dry cleaning, the dress went back into the closet and next Sunday the smell of last's weeks service with all the pomp and clouds of incense would come flooding back. In fact, Fat Electrician took me way back to all those memories of the church services with the heavy myrrh, the lighting of the candles and the one time so much incense was used the fire alarm went off mid-service much to my amusement when I was a child.

My husband, on the other hand, took a whiff of this on me and said 'you know what....when I was younger my dad used to have pot parties back in the day and you smell like that bags of pot and hash that showed up at the house with whatever else they used to cover up that smell.....I don't like it at all.'

Fat Electrician is a definite thumbs up from me, but a big thumbs down from hubby, who associates the smell with not so happy memories. I appreciate the scent for what it is and the artistry behind it. I enjoy the memories it brings back for me, but sadly will not purchase full size at this time.
14th April, 2017

Stash by Sarah Jessica Parker

I've gone back to the store several times to try this. It has kept my intrigue up enough. I go and spray the paper, I spray myself, I think about it and go about the rest of my day. I check the smell on my skin again, and back to the paper.

The scent between the paper and my skin is drastically different. The dry-down on the tester paper has an overwhelming smell of that one kid in high school who bathed himself in patchouli in order to cover up the pot smell. I also get the scent of the cedar blocks of wood you place in your wardrobe or dresser to ward off the moths.

On the skin there is a leathery, slight peaty whiskey scent, and I can definitely smell overtones of the citrus and the scents contradicts each other, but smells just right. This is just not the perfume for me, but I really enjoy it all the same. Shame there isn't much in the way of longevity, it disappeared from my skin after 3 hours.

This is one you really need to test on your skin rather than relying on a paper spritz.
05th April, 2017

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Each time I try Angel it brings vivid flashback of my youth wandering around the Victoria Secret store trying out the new VS perfumes of the 90's, the sweet, uber cloying candy-store scents that went by names such as 'Love Spell' or 'Dream Angels' or even early Bath and Body Works super syrupy scents. To my then 20-something nose and lifestyle, yes, I wanted to smell like a candy factory.

However, when I wear this and my kids come running thinking I've just opened a bag of Haribo and ask where I've hid the sweets in the house....I have no desire to smell like bags of Haribo candy.
19th February, 2017 (last edited: 29th November, 2017)

Shalimar Souffle de Parfum by Guerlain

I'm still on the fence with this one.

First - just scratch the Shalimar bottle and the name from your mind, just scrub it clean, sweep it under the carpet, windex it, whatever imaginary way works for you. This is so far removed from the original Shalimar scent, the only thing remaining to my nose is the vanilla during the dry-down.

The strange quirk with this particular perfume is after five minutes of spraying, I couldn't smell a thing. Everyone around me could definitely smell this, but I just couldn't. I was perplexed that I couldn't experience the scent myself while wearing it. I sprayed it on a tester paper at home to figure out why I wasn't smelling it on me.

I realized quickly what it smells like - lemon meringue with a touch of light white flowers. It is a very very light citrus scent that drys down to a light vanilla base. It's almost aqueous the citrus smell as it's not 'in your face' but 'just so' almost like orange blossom water one uses in cooking. Considering the 'Souffle' in the name should be translated as 'breath' and not a fluffy dessert.

I wonder if the lightness of the scents involved contributed to my inability to smell this perfume on myself coupled with the winter layers I've been wearing this season. I'll have to save this one for a day when the temperatures get above 60F/15C to really try this out and give it a go. Until then, my review is neutral. I like it, but not love it at this time.

Overall - I would consider this particular Shalimar great for someone new to perfumes who wants a very light office-friendly scent - I would be shocked if anyone found this perfume offensive in an office setting. With citrus, white flowers and vanilla, it's a nice, clean and safe perfume. I would heartily recommend this one as a safe gift or a perfume to give someone as a great light introduction to perfume scent. I would choose this over Estee Lauder's Pleasures any day.

19th February, 2017