Reviews by HouseOfPhlegethon

Pleasure Gardenia 79 by Krigler

This is a pretty good gardenia dominate scent. Jasmine also stands out. I also get whiffs of musk, mimosa, and vanilla. Not outstanding as far as creativity goes. However, it is a fine everyday fragrance.
22nd March, 2018

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells like tea. Smells like sweet, pipe tobacco. Once again I don't get any cinnamon but, something spicy is here. I get some honey, ginger, starchy ginger, muted vanilla, and a hint of leather on the bottom. A gentle fragrance for spring or work environment. I consider this more art than perfume.
22nd March, 2018

Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain

This is a great flanker of the original. I don't get any orange on the top but, I do smell the bergamot and lime. Rose and jasmine in the middle - I smell those, also. the rose, in particular stands out. I think the citrus at the beginning and the rose in the middle are what makes this so different from original Shalimar. The base is classic vanilla and resin. Now and then I get a whiff of iris. A lighter version of Shalimar indeed. I'll stick with my bottles of original and the Mexican Vanilla version. However, there are one or two other flankers I may try in the future.
19th March, 2018

Soir de Paris / Evening in Paris (original) by Bourjois

Procured an old bottle of this, literally across the street at the antique mart. It has held up very well. An old-fashioned blend of bergamot, violet, clover, lilac, dark rose, green jasmine, and styrax. Comes off as aldehydic even though none really exists. It lasts only for a few hours (probably because of its age). I poured this into an atomizer bottle for use. It helps tremendously with the notes identification; the dispersion of molecules, I guess you'd say. I'd classify this as a unisex perfume. It isn't sweet at all.
17th March, 2018

Aromatics in Black by Clinique

A beautiful floriental, winterish fragrance! Smooth plum tree and bergamot on top. Jasmine, osmanthus, and neroli middle that's well-blended. Realistically floral. Smoky, smoldering base of myrrh and Tonka bean. A hint of vetiver there, that peeks out now and then. Blurry sweet; slightly balsamic.
14th March, 2018

Carnation by Mona di Orio

This is a lovely, discontinued fragrance. Boozy floral, with a touch of citrus on top. Woodsy flower accord in the middle. Slightly skanky base. A friend had given me a small sample of this; it was enough to declare this a masterpiece.
11th March, 2018

Tardes by Carner Barcelona

I get a slightly boozy yet, cookie / biscuit smell with Tardes. A hyper sweet wood. A liquid foundation, make-up accord. Strong almond, plum, Tonka bean, and heliotrope. A little of this goes a long way. I believe I could wear this at any time of the year.
09th March, 2018

Ôud Bouquet by Lancôme

I have many perfumes which feature oud. This one, really stands out. For once, the oud is NOT overpowering. There is a hint of saffron here. The rose makes it rich. The praline and vanilla take the edge off the sharpness of the wood. This is warm and spicy - smoky and not sickeningly sweet.
08th March, 2018

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I've been wearing this for decades; both the Evyan version and the Arden version. This white floral works well for me. The notes that stand out the most are gardenia, tuberose, jasmine, and oakmoss. The first few minutes after spraying I get some lilac, lily, aldehydes, muguet, orange flower, and amber. There is a greenish undercurrent, too. This is cheap enough I can spray like a mad fool. I enjoy the "old lady" aspect of this. It takes me back to happier times, when my Mom and I used to do fun things together...

Relativamente Rosso by Bois 1920

Animalic. Sleazy florals. Salty, old wood smell. Skanky, sweet, urine-like base. Beauty and the beast. Every note meshes into a hardcore elixir of filthy sex. I absolutely love this. You may not. Delicate wallflowers or mild-mannered men, need not bother with R. Rosso...

Karleidoscope by Lagerfeld

A pretty decent designer offering. Dark floral. Musty floral. Musk and Tonka bean edges into the middle then remains until the end. Smokey sweet, overall.

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens

A smooth, woody perfume. A touch of spice and sweetness. It makes me think of those melancholy, dreary mid to late autumn days. The leaves are mostly gone from the trees. All that remain are brown and shriveled. The holiday season, not yet here. Anticipation of a long winter looms ahead. This one definitely creates a "mood".

05th March, 2018

Bois des Îles Parfum by Chanel

A lovely fragrance in its own right. For me it comes off as a gentle floral with a slightly sour or bitter, wood accord (which isn't a bad thing). It has a mellow base which lasts on my skin.
04th March, 2018

Passion by Annick Goutal

This is a pretty Goutal. Dominant notes of tuberose, jasmine, vanilla, and some patchouli at the end. Tuberose seems to be the main star here. Not overly creative but, pleasant to wear.
28th February, 2018

Black Prestigium by Mancera

Brash, singed wood notes. Powdered sugar-dipped flowers. Very feminine on my skin. No leather, here. For me, this is the quintessential blend of orris root, patchouli, rose, violet, wood, amber, and musk. It's very loud at first then, settles evenly. One of the Best fragrances I have ever smelled / owned. It works for me at any time of the year. My husband adores it on me.
27th February, 2018

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

An interesting gourmand. I don't smell any Tonka, musk, or floral notes here. The cacao pod is prominent. This perfume has a saltiness to it. I get lawn trimmings occasionally. I also get a burnt coffee smell. I wouldn't ever invest in a full bottle because I wouldn't wear this one more than twice a year. Artistically, it's wonderful. Realistically, it is a holiday fragrance.

...Sitting here with my morning coffee, I smell Tonka now. Actually smelling and drinking coffee, somehow brings out the Tonka. Surprisingly, the burnt coffee smell of this, is muted, too. Hmmm. Very interesting...
26th February, 2018 (last edited: 07th March, 2018)

Maroc by Long Lost Perfume

I owned a bottle of this in the early 90's. I don't remember what it smelled like then. All I remember is, that I loved.

I found a Charles Revson version bottle at a thrift store. I nearly fell on the floor when I saw it. Naturally, I scarfed it up.

This is a floral, woody, rose delight. Honey, coriander, and oakmoss smother various roses. In turn, the roses combined with jasmine whirl in a fog with patchouli, ambergris, vetiver, and civet. Oakmoss creeps up yet again. Not much sweetness here. More like a tang. This could compete with any of today's niche perfumes, in my opinion.

Bakir by Long Lost Perfume

I once owned the original formula by Germaine Monteil in the early 90's. It was divine. I had never smelled anything like it. The bottle I have now, is the Irma Shorell version. I treasure this like gold. That stated, this isn't for everyone. An oriental balsamic fragrance of the dark variety. There are a lot of notes and things going on here. For my nose, I can pick out petitgrain, labdanum, and bergamot on top; jasmine, orange flower, nutmeg, and rose in the middle; musk, patchouli, incense, and benzoin on the base. Overall this is rich and intense. It is dark and brooding. It smolders on the skin. A little goes a long way. Bakir has become hard to find. I am glad I possess my big bottle. I wear it only occasionally. I get high, whenever I apply it.

Diamonds & Emeralds by Elizabeth Taylor

This is definitely a white floral perfume. The top blasts you with crisp notes of apricot, orange, a touch of rose, and gardenia. A sage note is present that lasts a few moments. The gardenia carries over into the middle notes. I got some carnation, tuberose, jasmine, and lily of the valley. The latter note lingered for a spell. Once again, at the base, the gardenia is here. I thought I smelled Tonka bean briefly. Hint of vanilla but, the gardenia in this is very powerful. The sillage is a monster. Longevity, too.

Lolita Lempicka The Midnight Fragrance / L'Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

Very much like the other flankers, of the Midnight Fragrance. This bottle was released as a limited edition in 2009. The base of this "version" is very tame. Subtle resin and vanilla notes. Loads of myrrh on top.
21st February, 2018

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

I expected more iris. Unfortunately I get too much citrus from this one. It's not a bad fragrance. It just lacks the floral I wanted. I only get mild iris, orange blossom, and ylang ylang. Not much of a base here either. Feminine, pretty, and perfect for a work environment. This surely wouldn't offend anyone.
19th February, 2018

Beautiful by Estée Lauder

A beautiful, deep floral. Lots of rose and tuberose. I think it's a heavier flower scent, more suited for wintertime. Has a woody, green base. One of Estee lauder's classics.
18th February, 2018

Diane by Diane von Furstenberg

This is a really good, pissed-off "old lady" perfume. It's a mean combo of musk, myrrh, and patchouli. They're all smooshed together here. Every now and then I get a whiff of violet. Barely. Frangipani? None that I can detect.

Diane, reminds me of my third-grade teacher. She always looked pissed-off, even through her silver-rimmed, cat-nappers. She yelled a lot. Mrs. H. would have worn this, just to keep us all in line...

Honeysuckle by Avon

Found an old bottle of cologne at a thrift store. I decanted it into a spray bottle to get the full effect. I get honeysuckle mixed with an aldehyde-like blast. Maybe it was an old alcohol smell. Anyway... Seconds later, I smelled just the honeysuckle. When it mellowed down a bit I got a bees-waxy, honey vibe. I swear I get a mimosa note here, too. A couple of hours later the base was woody.

This, is an Avon scent I don't remember owning before. I have nothing to compare it with. My old formula is pleasant, light, and breezy. I confess -- I purchased this because of the cute, little beehive bottle it came in.

Rhinoceros by Zoologist Perfumes

Boozy, green, pungent. Piney and forest like. Woody, dry heat. Later on, some tobacco and leather. The beast tames down at the base. Yet another Zoologist I have fallen in love with. I love the rum and pine needle notes best.

Jontue by Revlon

I went through gallons of this when I was young. I currently have a vintage bottle, I found at a "junk-thrift" store. It held up to age very well; the top and base notes are still intact. At the top I smell gardenia, bergamot, chamomile, and rose. I get subtle ylang ylang in the middle. Hours later benzoin, oakmoss, and patchouli for the base.

I have not tried / purchased any newer bottles of this to know how this may have changed. The last bottle I possessed was back in the late 80's. I doubt I would even seek out a version today. I am quite satisfied with my old bottle.

Overall, my bottle of Jontue is a very aromatic floral.

LouLou by Cacharel

I've ignored this perfume since its creation. Was always attracted to its pretty, blue bottle. I passed on it because of its name. Never liked the name LouLou. One day I found a bottle for a decent price. Decided to give it a try. One sniff - I was hooked.

She is a monster. Slapped me right in the face with no apologies. A floriental opium den of liquid sin. A hand grenade filled with jasmine and incense. It screams, "I'm here!" and you'd better listen.

Not for timid ladies.
11th February, 2018

Imari by Avon

I'm rating vintage Imari. Nothing overtly sweet about this. It's mostly an aldehydic perfume. There is plenty of galbanum, tuberose, orris root, and a touch of ylang. The aldehydes prevail, even to the bottom. I can smell no base notes. It is greenish-airy to my nose - a touch, a tiny touch, of powder. It reminds me of a Chanel, from back in the day. For me, it's a good grab-and-go fragrance.
07th February, 2018

Zany by Avon

I found this at a thrift store. The ingredients / notes have surely aged. I find this hard to believe that this was marketed towards young girls. This stuff borders on a floral chypre. The top is quick. I got a blast of some sort of citrus. It was gone before I could figure out what it was. The middle notes smell of lilac, jasmine, and heliotrope. Leaving the middle I am greeted with an incense-y moss, with a cardamom feel. The base bounces back and forth with vanilla, patchouli, and sandalwood accords.

I'm sure this will wear even better after I put it an atomizer. Get those molecules bouncing around in the air, so to speak. Overall, I am very impressed with this old juice. I have a half an ounce of this cologne to enjoy. Well worth the one whole dollar I paid, for this.
03rd February, 2018

Dahlia & Vines by Nest

I think this is one of the more refined offerings by Nest. A bright, crisp summery floral. The narcissus sweetens the peony just enough. The rose here is not over-bearing. The musk and fruit make a warm backdrop. If I didn't already have so many summer scents, I'd seek out a full bottle of this.
03rd February, 2018