Reviews by HouseOfPhlegethon

Rose of Kali by Neil Morris Fragrances

A fragrance that could have been created in the 1900's - the 10's or 20's. An old-fashioned style rose perfume. The rose is musty, dusty, and dry. It was odd that the chocolate appeared with the top notes, when it is supposedly a base note. I don't care. I enjoyed that. What makes this so musty is probably the other players. Labdanum, incense, myrrh, patchouli. How ever perfume is made, is still a mystery to me. Mr. Morris nailed this one. I wear this and get a false memory: Somewhere in the distant past, in a room with magenta-colored walls. Dimly lit with ornate brass, gaslight fixtures, lascivious acts - this room is in a brothel. This is probably a scene from a movie I've viewed. This Rose of Kali, a turn of the century impersonator, now a modern reverie.
12th December, 2017

Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777

Aaaaahhh! Semi-sweet florals. Resinous, ambery goodness. Musky, wet balsamic delight. Enchanting, decadent, and addicting.
11th December, 2017

Portrait of a Lady by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A lady indeed. I got a musty, smoldering spice of a rose in the beginning. If I inhaled deeply I smelled a teeny tiny bit of raspberry. Settling down, it became a dry tinder pile of incense and patchouli. A musky amber finishes this off with nary a nod to benzoin.
11th December, 2017

Asea by Neil Morris Fragrances

My nose smells grapefruit, lemon, perhaps Neroli, and a bitter orange. In the middle I detect a lily of the valley vibe, with a clean watery, almost cotton note. The base, much later, has a slight wood odor, like driftwood or something. Overall, this is one of the nicer citrus perfumes I've tried - and I'm pretty picky with citrus fragrances.

Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Yes, definitely a holiday, Christmas-y vibe. A wonderful smoky, sweet, nutty gourmand. A winter delight. I adore the chestnut, coffee, maple, and ebony mixture. There is nothing Not to like, about this one!

Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides

Yet another fragrance of the aromatic style, that I am smitten with. The nutmeg, saffron, and vanilla particularly intrigue me here. Fresh warm spice. Balsamic woodiness and patchouli-loaded. Alluring and mysterious. I could live, with only this perfume, if I had to.

Velvet Rope by Apothia

An aromatic, spicy trip down a road of pleasure. I love this blend of juniper, grapefruit, jasmine, and rose! I love the finish of cypress, white musk, patchouli, and a vanilla that is divine. This one of my favorite styles of perfume. Can't get enough of this stuff...

X for Men by Clive Christian

As a woman, I could wear this. It's a bright and lively scent. I can smell most of the ingredients. The longevity leaves something to be desired. I swear, after a half an hour, it's gone!

Unless I received a freebie somewhere, I certainly would not seek out any more samples of this house. I have cheap, celebrity-endorsed perfumes, that smell just as good for far less bank.

Oud Silk Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Lovely rose, oud, chamomile, and papyrus combination. Lovely but, not overly memorable.

Pluie de Soleil / Burst of Summer by Phaedon

A little too sweet for my taste. Still, it is lovely. If you love strawberry and pineapple, this is for you.

Honey by Marc Jacobs

A subtle mix of pear, fruit punch, honeysuckle, orange blossom, and honey. The latter being not too overpowering. A gentle scent for Spring or Summer.

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

I'd describe this as an aquatic, white, and woody floral scent. Slightly powdery. For me, the more I apply, the nicer it smells. Mellows into a creamy wood essence.
07th December, 2017

Les Déserts d'Orient - Rose Nacrée du Desert by Guerlain

Very lovely. A favorite combination of mine: rose, oud, patchouli, and benzoin. Very dry. Very real smelling. Wish I'd found this years ago. I definitely would have searched for a full bottle to purchase.
04th December, 2017

J'Adore by Christian Dior

A very fruity floral. Tons of fruit, in fact. Sharp floral mix, in the middle. It ends with vanilla and blackberry. Sweet spring or summer concoction.
03rd December, 2017

Queen of Hearts by Queen Latifah

Sweet citrus.
Fresh green notes.
Slightly fruity, white floral notes.
Mellow base of musk, patchouli, amber, a touch of vanilla.

Overall a pleasant, everyday, feminine scent.
01st December, 2017

Incense Rosé by Tauer

My first time with a Tauer fragrance. I am very impressed! I will definitely have to try more of Andy's creations.

What a lovely incense-rose scent this is! The top notes of clementine, bergamot, cardamom, and rose are, for lack of a better word - awesome! I get a faint aroma of cola from somewhere, briefly, then it is gone. Maybe from the middle notes?

The base of this, is what really makes me swoon. I mean, they are fairly "common" basenotes: patchouli, cedar, vetiver, incense, resins, myrrh. Somehow they smell more ethereal. More perfect.

The whole thing reminds of the Victorian era. A scent that would be worn by an upper class Lady...
28th November, 2017

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

Pretty good stuff. Antiqued citrus. Strong tea. Vintage-smelling rose. Soft ambergris. Though certainly not magnificent enough to warrant the high price.
27th November, 2017

La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty

Perhaps my vintage sample was too old. This was a little too bitter for me. I smelled an earthy, green rose that was too harsh on my skin. In its day, I'm sure this was glorious.
24th November, 2017

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This is one of the perfumes that got me inspired to start collecting, again. I nearly fell on the floor, back then, when I smelled this for the first time. It still makes me swoon. I think it is genius. Chocolate, tuberose, patchouli, orchid, vanilla, gardenia, amber, musk, jasmine, and some fruit as well. Sultry. Sophisticated. There must be another word to describe this, for me, for my love of it. My mind goes blank when I don this. I think it takes some confidence to wear. It isn't for the timid.

Anyway, I believe as long as Ford keeps making this available, I'll always have a bottle.
23rd November, 2017

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It starts out sweet, warm spicy. In the middle I get a whiff of something different; perhaps it is the karo karounde. Towards the end I smell the patch, benzoin, and myrhh. "Beyond the basenotes", when it has really dried down, it is a slightly wood, powder-like scent.

For me, it starts out rather ordinary. As it wears on, then it becomes interesting and quite lovely. I can see why it is so popular, now that I have finally tried it.
22nd November, 2017

Crimes of Passion: Raw Silk and Red Roses by 4160 Tuesdays

I give this one 3 and a half stars. It's a lovely rose representation. I get no fruit at all. That's all right. I get enough fruit in my diet.

This screams patchouli, musk, geranium, and rose in an utterly feminine way. I'm happy to finally getting around to trying a couple of these 4160 Tuesday perfumes. I am on a rose kick lately. This one hits the mark. I like how it ends up "dainty" on my skin after a few hours. Lightly powdery sweet.
22nd November, 2017

Cadavre Exquis by Bruno Fazzolari

I'm the oddball who actually really likes this one. It's outrageous! It started with blood orange and camphor. Then the dark chocolate cloud blasted my nose. That, lasted for quite awhile. When it slipped away I got some kind of dried fruit thing. I thought I smelled some cypress in there somewhere. Star anise, benzoin, vanilla, and a civet thing took over and remained. Bold and brash. Spicy sweet ending.

I doubt I'll seek out finding a full bottle to add to my collection. Too many other scents I love more. I'm glad I had a sample to try.
19th November, 2017

Dove Grey by Régime des Fleurs

I give this one 3.5 stars. Intense. Spiced herbal vibe briefly, at the beginning. Some dark, dirty tea. For me, the orris, tuberose, lavender, and violet are luxurious. Way on down the line I smell musk and something woody. Oh! I forgot about the soil note. I detect some of that, upon first spray. Overall, this is a weirdo. Just my style.
17th November, 2017

Anjali by Réminiscence

I'd give this 3 and a half stars. It's good! Very dirty, animalic. Darkly sweet at first. The tuberose is prominent here. Think Nuit de Tubereuse by L'artisan Parfumeur. Pretty darn similar. Tonka bean, musk, and vanilla are the only other players here...
16th November, 2017

Exotic Essence by David Yurman

Soft. Mellow. Earthy. The peach and rose are quickly buried by patchouli, musk, amber, and a bit of vanilla. A great day fragrance. It doesn't last on my skin. But, it is lovely.

Dragonfly by Zoologist Perfumes

I only had a tiny bit to try. I felt compelled to write about it anyway. Dragonfly is so delicate, serene, magical even. It actually reminds me of a fresh rain. Beautiful blossoms sprinkled with raindrops. Warm sun. A fresh breeze. A very well-composed fragrance. A watercolor painting of delight.

Will have to procure another sample or decant to experience this again. A full bottle may be in order, in the future.

Grand Amour by Annick Goutal

A lovely floral oriental. Rich combination of hyacinth, lily, honeysuckle, rose, jasmine, myrrh, and Lydia broom. Great for early spring or late fall when you want something with flowers. Deep, dark flowery creation. Timeless.

Love Never Dies Black Jewel by Jeanne Arthes

This isn't bad. It's different. The lemon and Mandarin orange smell as if they were steeped in alcohol; bourbon, maybe. Jasmine and orange blossom smell greenish. And, there is a dirty blend of patchouli, honey, and cedar. A man could easily pull this off. I have to be in a certain mood to wear this one. It's rather bold. Pungent. When it settles down it actually turns slightly sweet. A good, cheap oddball.
14th November, 2017

Dolce di Giorno by Bois 1920

This seems more like a unisex scent, to me. Sweet, cookie-like notes. Reminds me of butterscotch candies at times. Love the woods in this, combined with the plum and bergamot. This is just so well blended together. Every sniff brings out a different note. Overall, a fine creation.
12th November, 2017

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

Dirty, bitter flowers at first.
Mellows and sweetens in the middle.
Musky bottom with a smattering of patchouli.
Finishes nicely, overall.