Reviews by HouseOfPhlegethon

Basic Black by Bill Blass

A multi-ingredient, old-fashioned chypre. Deep. Moderately complex. Mine, is an older bottle. Some of the "sweeter" notes have worn down, so to speak. Earthy animalic. Musty floral. Notes that stand out the most for me: carnation, tuberose, jasmine, sandalwood, and amber.

Good evening fragrance. Cheap enough that one can be heavy-handed with spraying.
26th September, 2017

21 Bonaparte by Vicky Tiel

A run-of-the-mill floriental. It's fairly tame. Quite, even. The current is mild. Vanilla, gardenia, and tuberose do not really stand out. The patchouli and jasmine seem muffled. I'd call this a workplace scent.
25th September, 2017

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

I've been wearing this since the late 70's, early 80's. Has it changed? Yes. Do I care? No. It is still one of my "go to" aldehydic perfumes. It comes on strong, for the top and middle notes. The base is sweet and mellow.

I like the lavender and lily, on top. The spices, carnation, and rose fill the middle. The base of Tonka, musk, benzoin, and cedar, are just right.

I am taken back in time, to more innocent times of my youth when I wear this. I'm old now -- I can get away with wearing this.

Apparition by Ungaro

Big blast of raspberry and sweet pepper. Followed by tons of rose. Ends with gentle patchouli, amber, and vanilla. Mimics an aldehydic perfume IMO. Long-lasting. Moderate sillage. Interesting bottle.

Puro by Nejma

Sweet. Woody. Green-spicy. Aromatic. Boozy. Rum, mint, and lime on top segue right into notes of cinnamon, vetiver, mahogany, and tobacco. Overall it smells like an aged, cask of spirits, on an autumn day.

D&G La Force 11 by Dolce & Gabbana

This is an oddball. I like oddball perfumes. It is a spicy food market, located near a head-shop. First I get a blast of cardamom and cinnamon followed by nutmeg. The pimento really stands out for awhile. I barely get any heliotrope or cypress. After a few hours I smell sandalwood, vanilla, and caraway. It's definitely different. It's cheap enough for over-spraying, when it begins to die. IMO it's more masculine than feminine.
21st September, 2017

Bazar Femme by Christian Lacroix

A well done fruity floral. The peachy note isn't too obnoxious. The base is rather pale. Overall it's breezy and delightful. The bottle and packaging are fun.
21st September, 2017

Si Lolita Eau de Minuit by Lolita Lempicka

Smells like purple or black. Darker than original Si Lolita, for sure. I really enjoy the sweet pea note. The vanilla isn't over-bearing.
20th September, 2017

Brit Rhythm for Her by Burberry

Feminine. A wearable, pink macaroon. Wispy. Breezy. Sparkling. A fun concoction. It puts a smile on my face whenever I wear it. There's just enough of an aldehydic burst to balance it out.
17th September, 2017

In Black by J del Pozo

Musky. Soft wood. Muted, gourmand-like, musty floral. Smoldering. Modern oriental.
17th September, 2017

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

One of my all-time favorites. Have been wearing this almost from the time of its release. It is exotic, sensual, gothic. It is a dark floral, sweet spicy, almost earthy gourmand. A perfume a forest nymph would wear.
15th September, 2017

Mon Numéro 10 by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Many notes and layers in this one. They all come together to create a burnt-sweet, spicy unisex offering. It has a slightly animalic undertone that gives it depth. If you enjoy spice, you'll enjoy this!
15th September, 2017

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A safe enough white floral with citrus. Tangy. Sharp. Almost reminds me of a car, air freshener. One of those little trees, one hangs from the rearview mirror. It disappears too quickly, from my skin.
14th September, 2017

Bushra by Rasasi

Woody and slightly spicy. Quite linear. It's loud at first. Mellows after a few hours. Long-lasting. Moderate sillage. I'll admit -- I bought this for the beautiful bottle.
14th September, 2017

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I'm just not loving this one. I can't get past the stale, almost moldy notes of mimosa and carnation. This reminds me too much of Apres L'Ondee. I don't care for that one either.

If any other notes are here, I sure can't find them through the blinding, toxic twins. I will give it a few more wears to see if it has any redeeming qualities but....

I'm always tempted to scrub this one. This time I let it ride all the way through. It settles into a vanilla base. I thought I smelled a touch of rose or jasmine. I can't be sure.
12th September, 2017 (last edited: 13th September, 2017)

Pompeïa by Piver

A splendid cold weather fragrance. Classic chypre floral with a dark spicy edge. The lavender and patchouli give it an incense-like base.

Very long-lasting. Very inexpensive, too.
11th September, 2017

Les Nombres d'Or : Musc by Mona di Orio

A lipstick, powdery floral musk. Somewhat monochromatic but, in a good way. The heliotrope really shines in this one. After it settles on my skin I get some musk, neroli, Tonka bean, and a touch of rose. It's sultry, timeless, and enchanting.
10th September, 2017

Midnight Rain by La Prairie

This one is so-so. My tastes are veering away from floral-fruity perfumes. And that, is what this is. It has a creamy-fruit tendency with some musky, wood base.

I give this a thumb's up, for the bottle design.
10th September, 2017

L'Eau Ambrée by Prada

A fuzzy, powdery amber. The vanilla and patchouli mesh into one note. Not too loud; not overly remarkable. A neutral-choice perfume for everyday wear. One must overspray for any descent sillage.
07th September, 2017

Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

Garden-like, crisp, bright. A fresh, spicy aromatic. Green and woody. I smell bergamot, lemon, juniper, basil, and paprika for the top notes. In the middle, I get cedar and lavender. When it settles down, I detect vetiver, tobacco, and caraway.

A great eye-opener.

06th September, 2017

Tainted Love No. 62 by Tokyo Milk

Smoldering vanilla. Dainty orchid. Teasing tea note. Mellow sandalwood. Good combo - pleasing to the nose.
03rd September, 2017

Rrrr! by Carmen Electra

Caramel-sweet, slightly floral, fruity concoction. Nothing outstanding or different enough to hold my attention. Just another copy of the done-to-death, gourmand style of scents geared towards the younger crowd. Bottle is pure kitsch.
02nd September, 2017

Sweet Dreams by Joseph Jivago

This is a grown-up powdery perfume. Very feminine. The powdery vibe changes mood as it mellows on the skin. In the middle there is a smoky-musky, almost bitter vanilla. Towards the "end" a heliotropic floral with a tangy citrus accord. Sweet Dreams is a good name for this. It describes it well.

Longevity is outstanding. Sillage is better than moderate.
02nd September, 2017

Omnia Green Jade by Bulgari

A somewhat interesting little fragrance. I get notes of pistachio, green and wood notes, and a touch of peony. As an eau de toilette, it doesn't last very long. A very subtle skin scent. I'd call this a gym or boardroom scent. Light enough and tame enough it wouldn't bother or offend anyone.
30th August, 2017

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

A soothing, serene combination of notes. It's subtle. The ginger note doesn't figure prominently to my nose. It peeks through only briefly. The pumpkin and immortelle are what "do it" for me. Everything blends well here. Cozy, does seem to describe this perfume rather well. Fragrance for your own personal space. Sillage is negligible in my opinion.

Great gifting perfume for someone 18 to 80.
29th August, 2017

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

A classic Estee Lauder creation. Pleasant, ultra feminine floral. Refined, crisp, not too sweet, with green overtones. Excellent daytime scent.
28th August, 2017

Verde by Nest

This is a lovely aromatic, woody scent. It has a slightly sweet, menthol-like green aroma. The vetiver and verbena blend well in this. A great perfume to wear after a long, cold winter.
27th August, 2017

Absolue Pour Le Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A very good friend, sent me a sample of this. I noticed a lot of hub-hub over this one. I decided to dig it out to give it a try. Had to see what all the fuss was about.

Animalic, skanky, and for me, alluring. Maybe it is the combination of cumin, incense, and benzoin that some say this perfume smells like urine. I don't get that. I smell something unique in Absolue Pour le Soir. I adore this odd concoction of ylang ylang, sandalwood, cedar, incense, benzoin, rose, spice, and honey. I do get a dirty note only briefly. Like something during the process of tanning animal hides. A better description eludes me.
That tang is swiftly swept aside by a dark sweetness. There is something haunting about this one. Almost alcoholic, kind of musty. There is a scent-memory here. I just don't what it is, yet.

08th August, 2017

Nuit de Tubéreuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Great longevity on this one. It's rich and full of tuberose and cardamom. It is orangey and woody. The cloves aren't overbearing. I can smell ylang ylang and angelica in the background. The resins add something to it to make it seem crunchy, for lack of a better word. I can take or leave tuberose perfumes. This one though, keeps me intrigued, smelling my skin frequently. It's a whiff of cookies baking, or maybe biscotti.
08th August, 2017

Vanille Violette by Laurence Dumont

A delightful, powdery perfume. Very feminine. Violet, dainty floral notes, lightly sugary, a touch of rose. The vanilla isn't over-bearing. It is powdery from start to finish. It has a heliotrope undercurrent even though there isn't any.
06th August, 2017