Reviews by oudaddict

15th November, 2018

Dubai Jade by Bond No. 9

This is a beautiful fragrance. I just wish it was available in a 50ml bottle to make it more affordable.
14th November, 2018

Oud Satin Mood Extrait de Parfum by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Another masterpiece from Monsieur Francis. This is a different fragrance to the EDP and the notes are slightly different. This is the best of the "OUD/Mood" range by far. It leans towards the feminine side which, perhaps because of the additional rose, but it still works well on a man, maybe it can be layered with a natural oud oil to make it more masculine. Definitely full-bottle worthy.
16th May, 2018

Millésime Impérial by Creed

My wife thinks it smells like hairspray. It has natural amber (Sperm whale fecal matter) at its base, that is generally used in all Creed fragrances and has very natural notes to it. It's something that you'd expect to smell on an older gentleman in an old folks home. Overpriced and overrated in my opinion.

5/10.

Layton by Parfums de Marly

A lovely, pleasant, and versatile fragrance. My wife says it reminds her of JPG Ultra Male. Layton has been compared to a number of lower-priced designer fragrances, however, it does not have a synthetic feel to it and is quite unique. I slightly prefer it over the Layton Exclusif and it is roughly half of the price. The notes from PDM's website are:

"Bergamot leads with its tangy passion, while lavender and geranium blend into a fresh note, chic and chivalrous all at once. The intensity rises from mesmerizing amber, enhanced by the natural elegance of a pink pepper. Distinguished and addictive, its character carried by vanilla and precious woods grows more powerful thanks to an intriguing note: a flavourful and fascinating hint of caramelized coffee."

Layton Exclusif by Parfums de Marly

I have been wearing this fragrance for a while now since it was first released.

Firstly, the notes: There is not a single drop of oud in this, if there was PDM would be singing and dancing about it on their website. What people are smelling is probably a mixture of the guaiac, musk, and civet.

This is from their website: "The head notes offer generous, spirited, explosive bergamot, with rose and geranium vying to add elegance. In the base note, a hint of cardamom mingles with sandalwood and guaiac, emphasising all the nobility of wood. On the skin, the sudden turmoil is total thanks to the distinctive, evocative hint of caramelised coffee."

It has a similar DNA to the original Layton, especially in the base notes. There is a lovely caramelised coffee note in the base of both (And I hate coffee, but this is nice). The apple and mandarin have been removed from the original Layton and replaced by darker and woodier notes.

The longevity is good and it keeps coming back to hit you when you think its gone. The sillage is good for 1-2 hours and afterward becomes very much a close to the body-scent, it never goes into beast-mode which is disappointing considering the price.

The atomiser on this comes out like a water-hose and you may need to decant it in order not to waste it.

For the difference in price, I would stick to the original Layton, but I guess price is subjective.

Shooting Stars : Nio by Xerjoff

This and MFK's Petit Matin are some of the best citrus scents available to date, longevity is out of this world.
23rd January, 2018

Royal Oud by Creed

I had two compliments in one day when wearing this. The opening is a peppery blast with musky undertones. After about an hour, the cedar and other notes start to come through. The oud is hardly noticeable, I'm not sure why they would call it "Royal Oud." Even though the oud and musk are synthetic, it has been expertly blended into a crisp, masculine fragrance.
18th November, 2017

Noble VII Rock Rose by Clive Christian

A lovely, well-refined fragrance that oozes quality. The only problem is that it only lasted 5 hours maximum on my skin and at a price of £7 for every 1ml, it just does not justify the price tag. Sillage starts off well and is pleasant, but after an hour or two, it sits very near to the skin.
08th November, 2017

Aqua Vitae Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I get strong blasts of ylang-ylang in the opening with hints of pepper and mandarin. The dry down is more sandalwood and vetiver, but the ylang-ylang is still noticeable throughout. This is a totally feminine fragrance, in my opinion, I wouldn't class it as unisex (maybe in the dry down only). The longevity is amazing, I put it on at midday, played football (soccer) at 9pm at night becoming covered in sweat and I could still smell it before getting in the shower. I gave my sample to my wife because it is too feminine for my liking, but still a great scent.
04th November, 2017

Arabian Wood by Tom Ford

I'm not sure what qualifies this to be an Arabian scent. It as a combination of various woods and flowers that smells like a five-year-old mushed together. It doesn't appeal to me and lacks the sophistication of other TF scents, no surprise that it was discontinued.
26th October, 2017 (last edited: 08th November, 2017)

Oud Alif by Shay & Blue

A lighter version of Amouage Interlude. Longevity is not as much as expected for me, sillage is moderate. It would be interesting to see what the newly released Extract of Parfum version is like, unfortunately, they are not offering samples of it at the moment. For the money, I would stick to Amouage Interlude which is more complex and longer lasting.
24th October, 2017

Salt Caramel by Shay & Blue

Butterkist toffee popcorn. It's very creative, but I'm trying to think of a time that I would actually wear this.
24th October, 2017

Verveine / Verbena by L'Occitane

It smells exactly like Jif Lemon Cleaner, so if you like the smell of that, then you will enjoy this. The longevity is fairly weak, perhaps due to the natural ingredients. Very zesty in its nature, but not for me.
07th October, 2017

Oud Cashmere Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

A very refined oud fragrance containing real natural oud with creamy vanilla notes. I received two compliments on the same day wearing this and the high price is definitely worth it. A must have for real oud fans and another masterpiece from MFK.
14th September, 2017

Gucci Intense Oud by Gucci

A nice fragrance, the oud is synthetic and smells exactly like the oud in other low cost fragrances like Acqua Di Parma et. al. Nonetheless, it still smells great and I have had many compliments wearing this. Longevity and sillage are excellent.
05th August, 2017

Eau de Vetyver by L'Occitane

One of the best vetiver fragrances that I have smelt. I wasn't impressed by L'Occitane's other fragrances, but this one is a winner. Sadly, it has been discontinued but a must-have for fans of vetiver. It is extremely good value for money at about £35 per 100ml. Longevity is not extremely long due to the natural ingredients that are used.
11th June, 2017

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

A good clean, crisp blend of vetiver mixed with sandalwood, orange, and musk, it's a perfect match for rainy days. The blend is professional and spot on and fans of vetiver will love this. Does it warrant such a high price tag though, especially when vetiver grass is such a low cost?
11th June, 2017

Amber Aoud by Roja Dove

A powerhouse of a fragrance, lasted 24 hours on my skin but it is not overpowering or offensive in any way, I can still smell traces after showering. The ambergris is very prominent to me from beginning to end, I don't really get much oud from it. Overall, it is a quality blend that amber fans will fall in love with one of the best if not THE best ambergris fragrances on the market. It oozes quality and fine natural ingredients like most Roja Dove fragrances, not synthetic at all. Despite the price tag, it is worth every penny. Definitely one for special occasions.
29th April, 2017 (last edited: 08th February, 2018)

Leather Oud by Christian Dior

Strong smell of civet. It is a good fragrance to wear once in a while, but I couldn't wear it every day so the huge bottle is too much. Longevity is out of this world and one or two sprays is more than enough for a whole day. It is far better than Tuscan Leather and Noble Leather. I don't agree that the leather part is dirtier than Tuscan Leather though. Currently, it is only available in 125ml at the smallest, you can get it decanted in smaller amounts. 125ml cost £125 in 2012 and now it is £200!
01st April, 2017 (last edited: 05th August, 2017)

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Disappointing from Tom Ford, especially with the price tag. I don't consider it as unisex, definitely masculine, but it is way behind Noble Leather and Leather Oud. The smell is much raw and dirtier and resembles my mate's 2007 Vauxhall Astra, or maybe dirty football socks. There are much better leather fragrances available for the same price or less.
01st April, 2017

Aventus by Creed

It is a splendid, lovely, fruity, and complex fragrance which automatically increases your mood. Extremely long lasting, sillage is quite low considering. I wouldn't class it as a masculine fragrance, more unisex, I can't say what would qualify it to be masculine. Overall, a great fragrance, a bit overrated but worth the price.
25th March, 2017 (last edited: 01st April, 2017)

Bulgari Man in Black by Bulgari

Smelt like talcum powder to me and gave me an allergic reaction. It smells exactly like Viktor and Rolf Spicebomb. It is fairly long lasting with good sillage, but just does not agree with me.
25th March, 2017

Armani Code Profumo by Giorgio Armani

The top notes have a very synthetic feel to them. Longevity is quite good and the base notes are pleasantly sweet and fragrant. I think it's one of those fragrances that smell better to the person who is not wearing it, a bit too overpowering for the wearer though. I wouldn't buy it again, the opening is too synthetic, was given to me as a gift so I'm not worried.
23rd February, 2017

Wave for Him by Hollister

A very fresh smelling EDT without , OK for teenagers on a summer's night out maybe but definitely not my thing. It's only 69% vol, so seems to be good value for money.
20th February, 2017

Interlude Man by Amouage

An absolute masterpiece from Interlude and one of my favourite scents of all time. I've had many compliments when wearing this. It has a woody, spicy fragrance which lasts for days with amazing sillage. It takes time to get used to this fragrance and may seem overpowering at first for some people. Hands down the best of the Amouage line. Not one for the office, but a must have for gatherings and special occasions. It is well worth every penny.
11th February, 2017 (last edited: 14th September, 2017)

Splendid Wood by Yves Saint Laurent

Splendid Wood has a very natural smell and feel to it and the more I wear it, the more I love it. It doesn't last as long on my skin as I would have hoped for, maybe a few hours and I only get a slight whiff of any oud. The incense and cardamom are more apparent and it has a creamy scent to it. You can feel the luxury from Splendid Wood but it does not last long enough to warrant the price tag.
11th February, 2017

Jimmy Choo Man Intense by Jimmy Choo

This has a lot of mixed reviews, but I love it. I love the mix of lavender, mandarin, and melon, can be a bit powerful at first but the dry down is amazing. The lavender is not overpowering, and the scent is quite complex and does not smell synthetic. It lasts a very long time on my skin at least 12 hours, it is advertised as EDT but is 78% alcohol so it is more towards EDP. It's a nice inexpensive addition to my fragrance collection.
02nd February, 2017 (last edited: 23rd February, 2017)