Reviews by Grotheur

Reflection Man by Amouage

There is something in this fragrance that reminds me of a mall designer cologne... something that would be worn to a club. Hence, I hate it.
30th June, 2017

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

The opening is amazing but it dries down to a generic aquatic with mediocre silage. Fine but forgettable.
23rd June, 2017

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I received Dzing! as part a collection of L'Artisan Parfumeur samples. I knew nothing about this fragrance, except that I love Timbuktu and Fou D'Absinthe. Upon spraying, I was immediately hit with "petting zoo on a hot, summer day." It has it all: sweaty barnyard animals, muddy hay, and even a few toddlers running around with dirty diapers. Awful! Wondering if my sample was bad, I read through the reviews and found that many others had the same experience. I decided to stick it out until dry-down and, even though it lightens, it never really smelled good. I enjoy taking my kids to the petting zoo, but I definitely don't want to smell like it.
19th May, 2017

Sel Marin by Heeley

I wrote off aquatics after testing every single one at Macy's. Fortunately, Basenotes has educated me and I have been sampling niche decants. Sel Marin is, without a doubt, the best aquatic I have ever worn. It's not perfect (I wish the clove-type note was dialed down) but this will be my go-to aquatic until I find something better.
16th May, 2017

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Mouth-watering lime and creamy coconut - what's not to love? Yes, it's insanely overpriced, but a 10ml decant lasts me all summer. It's a fun, tropical fragrance and women seem to love it!
16th May, 2017

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

I don't get green or woody. To me, this is aldehydic and powdery - bordering on cloying. Too bright, too formal.
15th May, 2017

Polo Red by Ralph Lauren

Boring, cheap-smelling crap.
11th May, 2017

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Terre d'Hermes opens with a short blast of semi-sweet citrus and bright, freshly-sanded cedar. Very quickly, the citrus retreats into the background and the cedar, prominent but suddenly mellowed and aged - is joined with earthy moss and maybe just a tiny hint of musty mildew. It reminds me of rainy fall days spent at my family's cottage in the mountains. This will definitely be in my fall/winter rotation.
09th May, 2017

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

The sense of smell is so closely linked with memory that a personal association can either make or break a fragrance. Unfortunately, I get nothing but dry, smokey incense wafting through Catholic mass - so much that I half-expected to be pelted by a shower of holy water. And even though a very nice vanilla note joins in at dry down, the frankincense-type accord dominates. Incidentally, this is the first fragrance that gave me a splitting headache.
09th May, 2017