Reviews by Man Of The World

Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

This is a nice leather fragrance. It's really all leather with not much else on offer.

The trouble is....We've been here before haven't we?? La Yuqawan & Co are really just spin off's of Tuscan Leather.

Nice but offers nothing new to the genre.

14th February, 2019

Godolphin by Parfums de Marly

Another great Tuscan Leather clone. Probably more wearable but not quite as good. Very much like Rasasi's La Yuqawam we get a bit more of a fruity vibe and maybe I detect some slight floral's and tobacco??

13th February, 2019

L'Envol by Cartier

So I'd heard some good things about this one. Got to be honest.....I found it pretty bland and boring. There's nothing wrong with it but there's also nothing particularly special about it.

Honey & fresh woods is all I got. Wore a bit light on my skin.

12th February, 2019

Costume National Homme by Costume National

The nutmeg, clove and cinnamon can be overwhelming for some but for a big fan of spice they are heavenly to this nose. They do settle down after the first hour or so. What you are left with on the dry down is a nice spicy sandalwood. The dry down kind of reminds me of Tam Dao EDP with some added spice.

A real attention grabber and undeniably masculine.

09th February, 2019 (last edited: 10th February, 2019)

Richard James by Richard James

Dia Mans brasher and less sophisticated Brother.

Yeah... I get the comparisons to Dia Man but really this is just awful. It's just too perfumey. You know that the cheap stuff your Mother used to wear back in the 80's??

Not my cup of tea.
09th February, 2019

Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Take the edt minus the lemon/citrus and then add a bit more depth and the edp is what you are left with. I don't see a great deal of difference between the 2. Maybe the edt is slightly more in your face for the first 10 minutes but they both settle down to the same ballpark. I like them equal.

07th February, 2019

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Habit Rouge is classic in every sense of the word. A refined Gentleman's fragrance for all occasions. Probably not quite in the league of something like Heritage but still very nice. Wears light on my skin.

7.5/10
06th February, 2019

Roadster by Cartier

Roadster is just not my thing!! That doesn't mean that I think it's rubbish. It just doesn't suit me.

However.....This is the strangest fragrance I have ever tried. I can't think of another perfume that changes so many times so quickly. It opens up with a strong citrus for around 2 minutes. Then comes the minty/woods combo which last for 60 minutes. We then have a fruit cocktail/salad vibe going on before finally drying down to a creamy vanilla.

05th February, 2019

Erolfa by Creed

Erolfa falls into that category of - This could have been great if it had that little something extra and it lasted more than an hour!!!

It's all quite pleasant but is missing that magic spark and let down by terrible longevity.

21st January, 2019

New York Oud by Bond No. 9

In my opinion this is the best rose/oud combo.

For those that have seen any of my reviews or comments on the forum you will be aware that I'm not a fan of rose. Black Aoud repels me so you can see where I'm coming from.

What I like about NYO is that rose is not overly dominant. There are also notes of saffron & plum which add something extra. The oud is there in the background but never dominates. Smells quite upmarket and expensive (which it is of course). A formal scent that will elevate your mood.

Longevity, projection & sillage are amazing.
16th January, 2019

Pardon by Nasomatto

Really nice stuff!!

I know there have been a few comparisons to LIDGE but personally I would describe this as D&G The One in Niche form. It has better performance and there is also an underlying dirty note which keeps things much more interesting.

15th January, 2019

Enigma pour Homme by Roja Dove

So I'm supposed to say "this is the best money can buy". "It's expensive but totally worth it". Aren't I?

Nah......

Don't get me wrong, this is nice. But it's nothing beyond nice. Slightly boozy spicy-oriental with reasonable projection and longevity. It just doesn't WOW me or blow me away.

To but things into perspective, I can pick up 50ml of LADDM for £99. Enigma would set me back £375 for the same amount. Enigma can't hold a candle to LADDM. Just crazy!!

15th January, 2019

Eucris Eau de Parfum by Geo F Trumper

To my nose it smells more or less the same as the edt. Longevity and projection is improve upon but by no means an overly strong fragrance. Very nice & very classic.
14th January, 2019

Aqua Universalis by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

I'll give this one just about a thumbs up. I'll come to the reason shortly.

This is a floral/citrus with soapy elements. It smells really nice. In fact quite uplifting.

My issue is that this is far too feminine for me to wear. It really does smell like a Woman's perfume. Great fragrance but one I would rather smell one my wife.
12th January, 2019

Patchouli by Lorenzo Villoresi

More of a hardcore patchouli rather than flirting with the note. Comes on really strong for the first 15 or 20 minutes and then settles down. I really like this juice but I still prefer my much loved Patchouli Nobile. PN is cleaner while the Villoresi leans slightly dirty.

12th January, 2019

Bentley for Men Absolute by Bentley

Totally vile. Probably the worst fragrance I have ever had the unfortunate experience of testing.

Burning plastic, pencil shavings, vomit & curry all mixed up together and left brewing for a year.

There is not enough money in this world that would pay me to wear this utter shit!!
04th January, 2019

Jimmy Choo Man Ice by Jimmy Choo

A nice little freshie. You could do a lot worse that this one. There is a bit of Aventus hiding somewhere. Lacks a bit in projection and longevity but still totally satisfactory.
27th December, 2018 (last edited: 02nd January, 2019)

Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake

It's not bad. Totally inoffensive and pleasant smelling. In the same breath it's nothing special. Okay for a present or to wear casually but there are many better options out there even at the reasonable price point.
27th December, 2018

Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Alvarez Gomez

Wonderful fragrance.

A scene from the Mediterranean for sure.

Massive dose of lemon up front followed by some lavender and a few spicy notes thrown in for good measure. Refreshing and clean with a classic aura. Surely one of the best bang for the buck fragrances out there. Wouldn't want to be without this.

Love it!!
27th December, 2018

27 Février 1950 by Pozzo di Borgo

The opening is amazing!!!

The problem is that it all goes a bit downhill from there. The first 20 minutes of this fragrance is one of the best. This reminds me of ADP Colonia but slightly fresher and more on the citrus side. I would describe it as a formal citrus rather than your everyday citrus. After 20 minutes it starts to lose it character. This is mainly due to poor longevity. Such a shame. Had massive potential.
17th December, 2018

White Suede by Tom Ford

Really nice floral-white musk with hints of suede and leather. Totally unisex. Unique in many ways. Has some powdery notes.

6.5/10
03rd December, 2018 (last edited: 05th December, 2018)

New York Intense by Nicolaï

Really refined Gentleman's fragrance. Very French. Very old school. Think Bois Du Portugal or Eau Sauvage. Just be careful not to judge this fragrance on the initial spray. It is so overwhelming maybe bordering on brash. Once it drys down after the hour mark it steps into a league of it's own. At the 2 hour mark it is at it's very best.

8.5/10

Kingdom of Dreams by Laurent Mazzone

Very much in the Epic Man/Journey Man camp. More incense here but the same spicy/oud/frankincense notes. Lot's of depth and character. Totally not my style because of the over use of incense but a good fragrance for those that enjoy the likes.

Vodka on the Rocks by By Kilian

A super realistic opening. Smells just like vodka, ice & tonic. Then drys down to a bit of a generic aqua type scent maybe along the lines of ADG. Doesn't last very long. Totally overpriced.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Just about a thumbs up for me.

A nice and pleasant vetiver which is quite safe. Classic and comforting.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

I was never really a big fan of Eternity. It was just very fresh and quite nice. There was nothing to really dislike. I just found it kinda boring.

Héritage Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Heritage is quite simply a stunning masculine fragrance.

Comes on strong in the first 15 minutes but quickly settles down to a soft cedar/patchouli combo with a slight boozy feel. Coriander is also noticeable. Projection & longevity are probably below around average.

The vibe you will get from Heritage is that of an attractive & confident man. There is a certain cleanliness and hygienic aura. Most suited for work and formal occasions.

In conclusion I will say that Heritage is one of the finest fragrances I have ever worn. It ticks so many boxes and is rivaled by few.

01st December, 2018 (last edited: 27th January, 2019)

Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery

Just amazing!!

One of the very best fragrances I have ever had the pleasure of sampling (now owning).

Being Non-IFRA compliant you are getting the real deal here. Full of depth and character. The longevity is off the charts. The younger members of this forum would do well to sample this one just so they know how things used to be.

This is a very hard fragrance to describe. It floats into a few genres. It's definitely a green floral but has some spice, sweetness and freshness. If you were to combine Green Irish Tweed with vintage Polo you would be somewhere in the ball park. Maybe with some added sweetness. I also detect some soapy elements. Very masculine and bordering on powerhouse. Massive projection and sillage. What a little gem!!!
01st December, 2018 (last edited: 27th December, 2018)

Dior Homme Eau for Men by Christian Dior

Not bad. Wears very light. Very similar to Prada L'Homme but I much prefer the Prada.
01st December, 2018

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I respect that this smells very luxurious and upscale. I really do. But I do have a bit of a problem with the TF Private Blend line. It's just too over the top. It really is!! I love powerhouse fragrances but these Private Blend juices are almost choking. It's like Mr Ford is trying to convey money and arrogance. There seems to be a lack of class. They seem to send too bigger message.

Anyway...Back to this particular juice. It's a Turkish delight covered in dark chocolate sprinkled with rose petals. Super longevity, projection & sillage but not something I would wear.
01st December, 2018