Reviews by Man Of The World

L'Art de la Guerre by Jovoy

Beautiful apple & rhubarb fragrance from one of my favorite houses. There is also a dash of lavender & nutmeg. Unlike most Jovoy fragrances this one does wear a tad light. Not my style but very nice.

02nd December, 2019

Danger pour Homme by Roja Dove

WOW!! This is superb.

As a big fan of Heritage there was always a good chance that I was was going to like this. Well I was wrong.....I don't like it I love it!! I could go into much detail about the scent but all you need to know is that it is Heritage but modernized and more refined. I accept that Heritage offers much better value for money but putting price aside Danger Pour Homme is the better fragrance.

Awesome for formal and upscale events.

27th November, 2019 (last edited: 02nd December, 2019)

Fetish pour Homme by Roja Dove

Just behind Danger, Fetish is probably my one of my favorite Rojas. This one is a statement maker for sure. You need to own this one rather than let it own you otherwise you could be in big trouble. There is a massive resemblance to HdP 1740. They are not identical but they surely give off the same vibe and do share some of the same notes. Spice, leather, pickled lime, dirty vanilla, booze. It's all here.

Only for the brave of heart but really something special.

27th November, 2019

Reckless pour Homme by Roja Dove

Reckless Pour Homme smells rather nice. Initially we have a nice citrus blast which does hang around for the duration but slips into the background after the first 20 minutes. What you are then left with is a classic masculine fragrance of warm creamy woods, cinnamon and the underlying citrus notes. Very nice and all but doesn't really last on my skin and tragically overpriced.
27th November, 2019

17/17 Richwood by Xerjoff

WOW! This is special.

The comparisons to Coromandel are justified. They do head in slightly different directions but the heart of the fragrances are just different branches of the same tree. Coromandel has that white chocolate vibe while Richwood supplements that for rose. I actually love both. The sandalwood is amazing in Richwood. Sooooo creamy. There is also a sublime vanilla note in the base. The patchouli in the opening could put a few people off but I personally love it. Anyway...The patch does settle down after 30 minutes or so. Longevity, projection & sillage are all amazing.

There are often threads on Basenotes with regards to what smells expensive? what smells classy? What's best for formal occasions? Richwood is all of that....And then some more. Weather anyone around you likes the fragrance or not they will be aware that you are wearing something very special. It just gives off that aura.

Now onto price!! Is it worth the money?? Probably not! But then again is any fragrance worth that price point? No way!! But do not let that cloud your judgement of this fragrance. It may be overpriced but that doesn't stop it from still being great.

Personally I have gone down the decant road. I have bought 20ml which should last me a good old while. It's something that I wouldn't really want to be without. One of the greatest perfumery concoctions I have had the pleasure of applying to my skin.

21st November, 2019

Collection 34 : 34 Boulevard Saint Germain Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

So I had heard a lot of great things about this one. Not for me. It reminds me far too much of Tom Ford Black Orchid which is a fragrance I detest. This one is not as over the top and is better for sure but just not my bag. Sorry!!
18th November, 2019

Méharées by L'Erbolario

Yes.....This is very good. Very good indeed!!

Musc Ravageur is one of my all time favorite fragrances. Meharees does indeed smell like the drydown of MR. It's probably MR at its 2/3 hour mark. There's amber, vanilla, light musk and even though its not listed I definitely get a clove/aniseed note. Really comforting and a fantastic alternative if you would prefer to save MR for those more special occasions.

24th October, 2019

Les Jeux sont Faits by Jovoy

Another deep, dark and complex from one of my favorite houses. What we have here is a boozy, woody and resinous concoction. Imagine a wooden chair. Now imagine that chair has been varnished with rum and tobacco and left to sit for 25 years. That's the kind of vibe you will get.

My only issue is that after the first hour it does start to fall apart slightly. It loses a lot of power and some of its magic. If I was marking the first 60 minutes it would be a 10/10 but as things stand I will give it a solid 8/10.
09th October, 2019

Private Label by Jovoy

For the first hour this stuff is stunning. An absolute beast. Lots of vetiver, patchouli and even though it isn't listed there is an incense note of some kind?? It's deep, dark and resinous. After the first hour it does tame. It is no longer the wild beast. Part of me is disappointed at that but another part of me feels that first hour would be too much to bear for any longer. So in many ways it gets the balance right.

Jovoy are a grown up fragrance house that makes opulent fragrances for the refined frag head. Here we have another success that just radiates off my skin.

On a separate note, I will add that Jovoy have some of the best presentation in the game. They are also super generous with samples.
01st October, 2019 (last edited: 03rd October, 2019)

Ambre Premier by Jovoy

A nice sweet amber with hints of vanilla and rose. Quality ingredients. Not properly my style but nice nevertheless.
30th September, 2019

Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy

Most excellent!!

Here we have a true masculine powerhouse fragrance. Lasts an age on skin although sillage and projection are round about average.

Lots of patchouli, vetiver, nutmeg and sandalwood. There is something in this juice that reminds me slightly of the Nasomatto range. Especially Duro & Pardon. It's that swamp like DNA. Anyway....Great for formal occasions when you really want to make a statement. Top quality ingredients with a sophisticated and almost artistic feel.

19th September, 2019 (last edited: 04th November, 2019)

Él by Arquiste

Extremely nice spicy/woody/smokey masculine fragrance. In many ways it does reminded me of Kouros but maybe more refined and dressed up. Longevity and sillage are pretty low key on my skin.
19th September, 2019

Molecule 02 by Escentric Molecules

Unlike 01, at least you can smell this one. Kind of reminds me a little of BR540 in the dry down but nowhere near as good.

17th September, 2019

Aventus Cologne by Creed

The truth is that Aventus Cologne smells pretty decent. The question remains....Was it needed? My answer is no!

AC is really just a sport version of the original. By sport I mean toned down, more of a generic type feel and overall slightly designer. I just don't get the point?? Are users that gravitate towards those type of scents going to blow a packet of this stuff?? I can't see it. Not when they have a multitude of choice for a 10th of the price. Creed is probably my favorite fragrance house and have no problems paying top dollar for a fragrance as long as it smells special. This does not.

01st August, 2019

Horizon by Davidoff

Half decent casual scent for when you want to save your more expensive fragrances.

Little bit of citrus, chocolate and maybe tobacco?? A bit watery and lightweight.
05th July, 2019

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver by Hermès

I actually really enjoyed this one. Not as much as the original edt but maybe better than the current formula which is weak as water.

We open up with a really sharp grapefruit note. Do I also smell Rhubarb? Maybe lemon? Anyway....It's rather nice. We then get hit over the head with some very strong but also very fresh vetiver. After an hour or so the vetiver subsides slightly and you are left with a vetiver infused woody base.

Longevity, projection and sillage are all about average.

04th July, 2019

Angel Muse by Thierry Mugler

A very nice gourmand with great staying power and totally full bodied. There are some reminders of Feve Delicieuse with that praline/nutty note. Probably too feminine for most Men to pull of but would smell great on a Woman.

03rd July, 2019

Fougère L'Aube by Rogue Perfumery

So when I first got a whiff of this one I was thinking to myself "I've smelt this before"??. I couldn't put my finger on it but it really reminded me of something. Then it hit me. This is a citrus version of Green Irish Tweed. That may sound strange but it really works. Doesn't quite have the staying power of some of the other Rogue fragrances but one that I shall consider buying in the near future. Very nice!!

Tabac Vert by Rogue Perfumery

Very nice old school fragrance. Tobacco leaves, pepper and sandalwood are the order of the day. Not properly my style much still very nice.

Champs Lunaires by Rogue Perfumery

I can appreciate the quality ingredients used here. The strength and staying power is top notch. However, I find this one too feminine. Probably great on a woman but don't really see this one on a Man. Not for me!

Apple Crumbs by Alexandria Fragrances

Hopefully many of you will know that I have been around long enough to not be considered a paid reviewer. I only say this because every time I see a review of an Alexandria fragrance there seems to be numerous comments insinuating that the reviewer is something to do with the company??

Anyway...This is my first Alexandria fragrance.....And it doesn't disappoint. PDM Oajan is one of my very favorite fragrances. It was the first fragrance that really pushed me in the direction of of gourmands which up until that point I really didn't care for. I would say that Apple Crumbs is 95% similar to Oajan. To the average Joe that would be 100% identical. This is inclusive of projection, sillage & longevity. If anything, Apple Crumbs may have the slight edge in this department.

A welcome addition for me as I can now save my Oajan for special occasions and maybe use this one for work and more casual encounters.

A classy gourmand that wraps its arms around you like a warm apple pie!!

Very, very good indeed!

15th June, 2019

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Must be one of the best value for money fragrances on the market today.

Here we have a formal and quite striking composition. A sort of barbershop come oriental. What you will get from this one is a shaving foam type smell laced with vanilla and almond. It's heavy on the cinnamon and does very slightly remind me of Costume National Homme, but a more upscale version.

Very nice indeed.

12th June, 2019

Prada L'Homme Intense by Prada

Very similar to the original with an added leather note. Feels slightly more grown up and formal.

10th June, 2019

El Born by Carner Barcelona

Can't help but feel slightly underwhelmed by this one. Maybe I was expecting too much after some of the glowing reviews?

I get vanilla ice cream, honey & maybe some white musk (if there is such a thing). That's about it!! Linear and quiet on my skin. Very average.

03rd June, 2019

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Just like the original....Totally boring and uninspiring!
31st May, 2019

Honey Aoud by Montale

Easily the best offering from Montale.

Lovely honey, cinnamon, amber and maybe a touch of soft tobacco??

Quite classy for a Montale.

7.5/10
30th May, 2019

Intense Cafe by Montale

One of the better Montales. Although that's not exactly a major achievement.

Think creamy vanilla latte with a dose of soft rose. Quite pleasant if somewhat feminine.
30th May, 2019

Philosykos Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

Firstly, I will say that this is not my style.

Now I have got that out of the way I will add that this is a fragrance of the highest quality. Much like Nobile 1942, Diptyque use some of the finest ingredients in the business. I always find that with Diptyque there is a certain hygienic quality to their fragrances. They always smell so clean and pure.

Anyway....What you get up front is fig. It's one of the most realistic fig notes I have ever encountered. Just behind it in the slight distance is a peach note. It's not the flesh of a peach but almost like the stone of a peach. In the mid and dry down there is a woodsy coconut vibe and maybe some white floral's/powder?? There is a slight resemblance to Carnal Flower.

Comes across as quite stunning and totally original.
29th May, 2019

Chocolate Greedy by Montale

Novelty chocolate that smells more like a breakfast cereal than a serious chocolate. Oh actually...Tell a lie...It does faintly remind me of Terry's Chocolate Orange. Longevity and projection are surprisingly poor for a Montale.
28th May, 2019

Aoud Vanille by Mancera

A pleasant vanilla with added floral, sandalwood & oud notes.

Nothing amazing and in a way quite generic although still smells decent.

Longevity & sillage are both good.

28th May, 2019