Basenotes needs your help!

If you have found this site valuable, useful or entertaining, would you be willing to support us? Our current goal is to upgrade our ageing forum system and bring it to the modern age! Find out More here

Reviews by Man Of The World

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

It's okay. No improvement on the original. My least favorite of the Colonia flankers.
14th May, 2018

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Very nice indeed.

A slight improvement on the original in my opinion. Very close to it but with some added floral's and slightly better performance. I actually like Essenza a bit more which is my favorite of the entire AdP line up.
14th May, 2018

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

Really wanted to give this one 5 stars.

Almost perfection in a bottle. Extremely manly and mature. Think of a super refined vintage Polo. The problem I have is that it just doesn't last on my skin. Really surprised by this as many other have said that the longevity has been excellent.

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

Dear oh dear.....

What a let down. The mighty IB. Crazy price tag but apparently worth it!! I think not!

Honestly.....It's a bland and boring middle of the road fragrance dressed up in a fancy bottle and then charged the earth. The phrase "Fur coat and no knickers" spring to mind. Completely over priced and overrated in my humble opinion.

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Top marks for being realistic!!

I mean this smells like you just juiced a green leaf and stalk and then rubbed it all over your body. Not my cup of tea but if you are that way inclined then could be ideal.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extrême / Eau de Parfum by Guerlain

Basically a stronger version of the original that leans slightly gourmand. As I am not a fan of gourmands I prefer the original but still a lovely fragrance.

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Just about a thumbs up.

I remember trying the original years ago when I used to go on holiday to Spain. It was a strong manly green fragrance in the same genre as the original Polo.

Received my sample and I must admit that it's not quite the same. It is similar but it's weaker and a bit watery.Still a good fragrance but not the great ones it used to be.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

PERFECT!

Amazing neroli/citrus start then drying down to a soapy/green scent. A gentleman's fragrances that radiates sophistication and cleanliness. Great longevity for a cologne. Wouldn't be without it.

Bois d'Oud Eau de Parfum by Perris Monte Carlo

Nice take on oud. Very syrupy/fruity/sweet. Almost beast mode on me. A little overwhelming at times so probably won't buy a full bottle.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

I have a lot of respect for this fragrance because it is obviously well made. Very heady. It has a bohemian quality to it. I personally wouldn't reach for it that often so will just get by with a decant.

Wonderwood by Comme des Garçons

This is okay but doesn't live up to the hype it received a few years back. Reminds me of a less refined Royal Oud.

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Very nice but I don't really get the comparisons to Bois du Portugal!! This actually reminds me of Endymion Concentre.

Fresh, a bit old school, decant longevity. Totally worth it for the price range.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

It just goes to show that you don't need to spend £250 on a niche fragrance to smell like magic! LIDG is one of finest examples this.

In truth, LIDG is quite a simple fragrance. Not generic but very simple. There is nothing new here. Nothing ground breaking. It does however smell stunning. Picture a handsome man in a well tailored suit. That's what this smells like. This is what I would call a fragrance for the well groomed man. Jeans and t-shirt just wont work. Formal and work. In fact this could be the perfect work scent. Classic, pure and simple. It lacks a little in the longevity department but I think this is supposed to come off as a discreet scent. Almost as an extension of ones skin.

08th May, 2018 (last edited: 09th May, 2018)

Oajan by Parfums de Marly

Hands down the best gourmand I have ever tried. That is coming from someone who on the whole doesn't care for gourmands.

I must admit that I have been a little let down by much of what PDM have released. But this??? MAN.....Its just SOOOOOOO good. It projects class, sophistication and attractiveness while still being a little daring and fun!! Strong apple pie vibe but also a cherry pie vibe. At the same time it also has a freshness to it which stops it becoming overly sickly! The longevity, projection & sillage are super impressive. Beautiful looking bottle.

01st May, 2018 (last edited: 08th May, 2018)

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

Just about a thumbs up from me.

I owned this back in the mid 90's. It was a great and very unique fragrance. Just recently bought the current version. It is 70% the same but something is missing. This is lighter. The original was much deeper and darker. This one lack a bit of body. There is also a slight hairspray thing going on! Still smells decent.

Original version - 8/10
Current version - 6/10
01st May, 2018

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Fantastic cedar cheapie.

Smells great. Lacks a bit on the longevity side of things but at these prices you can afford to over spray. It's a cedar bomb mixed with an out of the shower freshness.
01st May, 2018

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

I'm probably going to get shot for saying this but I hate Egoiste.

That doesn't mean that I don't respect the fan base it has or that I consider it to be poorly made. I just hate the smell of it. All I get is cheap vanilla air freshener, plastic, unwashed spice rack and god knows what else.

Sorry but just not for me!
30th April, 2018

Equipage Géranium by Hermès

So this is really nice stuff. There is probably 40% original Equipage lurking in the shadows but this one takes a different turn. Imagine the original Equipage but a lighter feel. That doesn't mean that this is weaker. Trust me, this one has some legs on it. It just feels fresher. It then goes ever so slightly minty (the geranium I assume?), a bit of powder and some floral's.

This is for the refined suited gent. Not really for kids as it has a very mature and quite serious vibe to it. Excellent fragrance IMO.

A solid 9/10 for now but will see how it goes after a few wearings!
30th April, 2018

Viking by Creed

I must admit that I really didn't care for it when I first tried it in store. I received a sample when I recently bought a full bottle of Royal Mayfair. On reflection it is actually rather nice. The problem is that it is ludicrously overpriced. It just doesn't smell special enough to warrant that kind of money. Good but not great!

UPDATE: Okay....So when I pass the Creed counter at my local department store I have to try Viking. I keep trying it. It is becoming quite addictive. It's a really good fragrance. The price stops me from giving it tops marks. Anyway....I pulled the trigger on a 30ml decant. Over the course of 6 months I have done a complete u-turn on this one. It is a solid 8/10 and if it was slightly cheaper I could probably see myself pushing it up to a 9!!
30th March, 2018 (last edited: 28th April, 2018)

Fahrenheit Parfum by Christian Dior

This is the best Fahrenheit fragrance since the original.

There is a slight reminder of the original. The dna is still there but make no mistake, this is a new fragrance in it's own right. This is very seductive, it makes a big statement, it is extremely powerful.
27th March, 2018 (last edited: 29th March, 2018)

Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017 version) by Christian Dior

A nice green citrus. Not a million miles from the original Eau Sauvage but with much better performance. I'm at the stage now where I own in excess of 75 full bottles so I really have to be blown away to warrant a purchase. While this is good, it's not great.
27th March, 2018

1828 Jules Verne by Histoires de Parfums

Lovely fresh, cool and clean fragrance from HdP.
17th March, 2018

Knize Ten by Knize

Fantastic masculine leather with a slight powdery edge.
09th March, 2018

La Yuqawam pour Homme by Rasasi

Tops marks for Silage, projection & longevity. If you like Tom Fords Tuscan Leather save your money and buy this instead as it's a dead ringer. But for me there is just too much leather and suede going on. After about the half hour mark I start to feel sick. It just reminds me of being a shoe shop.
08th March, 2018

17/17 Homme by Xerjoff

Complete and utter disappointment!!Disgracefully overpriced.

This basically smells like a stronger version of Pinaud Clubman's Special Reserve. Now there's nothing wrong with that because I kinda like Special Reserve. Where I have a problem is that Special Reserve costs £7 for a 100ml bottle While this costs £350 for a 100ml bottle. Outrageous!!!!

08th March, 2018

Bracken Man by Amouage

Very nice. Great quality as per usual from Amouage. I get Clove, Patchouli, mint and nutmeg. Probably too herbal for me to justify a full bottle but I will be sure to keep a decant handy!!
06th March, 2018

Beloved Man by Amouage

I will start off by saying that Amouage are most probably my favorite house. But.....Beloved is not for me!! Maybe one of if not their worst offering. The quality isn't here. It smell of a cheap lemon cleaning product.

Come on Amouage.....You can do way better than this!!!
06th March, 2018

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

WOW.....This stuff is just amazing!!

Lots of amber & vanilla with a few spices thrown in for good measure. Reminds me of a cross between Musc Ravageur & the original CK Obsession for men. Powerful with great sillage. Smells expensive.
01st March, 2018

Urban : Cacao & Amber / Tobacco & Amber by Axe / Lynx

Probably the star of Lynx new line up. A sweet tobacco type fragrance that smells well beyond its price range. Great for casual/daytime if you want to save your more expensive juice but still smell great!!!!
09th February, 2018

Signature : Oud Wood & Dark Vanilla by Axe / Lynx

Nice sweet oud and vanilla. Bit on the synthetic side but still worth it for the money!
09th February, 2018