Reviews by eamaccready

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Definitely one of the sweetest and perfumes I own, but I love this one and consider it a modern classic. This seems to work because it also includes the powdery violet and iris, and some herbs and spice from the star anise, licorice and ivy. Despite being classified as a gourmand scent, this doesn't tip the scales into total food territory. It also manages not to be an Angel clone even though it came out around the same time, but is completely its own thing. The bottle fantastic and is very evocative of the scent, and the advertising as well, this does have a sort of girly, fairy garden feel. It's sweet, fun and easy to wear but still complex and very unique. Good stuff!
22nd March, 2019

Vanille Exquise by Annick Goutal

I find this vanilla to be quite different to many vanilla perfumes, which is why I like it. It is not fluffy or cakey or super sweet, it's woody, powdery, smokey, a little earthy and a bit bitter, likely due to the angelica and guaiac wood notes along with the musk. The almond note is quite noticeable too, and it's more of a bitter almond than a marzipan which is nice.

It definitely gets much softer after about the first hour and wears very close to the skin, and it rounds out a lot and becomes a nice soft non-foody vanilla that is still cozy and office safe, since it becomes a rather personal scent. I get good longevity even though it's fairly soft, about 7-8 hours. It's nice for spring and fall days, and doesn't get too big and cloying in warm weather. I think because it's a rather different vanilla perfume, it seems to be a love it or hate it type scent. Many vanilla lovers may not like it as much because it's not a very typical vanilla, but I find it to be well done and unique.
22nd March, 2019

Womanity by Thierry Mugler

Fig is one of my favorite notes in perfume, especially for the warmer months, and I really love this one. It's quite different to other fig perfumes I have. Instead of going the sort of citrusy, or green or milky coconut route, it smells more like fig trees by the Mediterranean sea. The whole fruiting tree is there, with a beautiful soft salty marine note. I think some people have gotten a bit unnecessarily freaked out by this one because of the "caviar" note listed, I've even heard some claim it smells "fishy", but I get none of that. As per most Muglers, that's just a fantasy note to make it seem move avant garde, and isn't actually a caviar-like smell at all. It's a marine note, more along the lines of what's described on Fragrantica as "sea water" It's salty and breezy more like the sea note in Hermes' Epice Marine or Malle's Lys Mediterranee or something like that. I think this is a beautiful warm weather scent and an original take on a fig dominant fragrance
20th March, 2019

La Panthère by Cartier

A beautifully blended mix of old and new. It's a bit retro with the gardenia, oakmoss, and musky base, but has that synthetic fruits/rhubarb note that blends with it making it seem very modern too, but not a standard fruitchouli. I just have to mention the blending again because this could have been so bad. Gardenia (and really most white florals)can go weird on me, as well as fruity notes and musk, but this works great. Fairly well behaved, despite the name, but not boring either. Very nice on rainy spring or fall days, IMO.
20th March, 2019

Bergamote Soleil by Atelier Cologne

Smells like sunshine and woods to me. Beautiful bergamot top note which on me does get pretty good longevity for a citrus note, then it shifts to a nice soft woodsy vibe with the vetiver, oakmoss, lavender and spices. So good and one of my absolute faves from this house.
19th March, 2019

Bel Respiro Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Lovely elegant green floral, perfect for spring and summer. It's a bit laid back while still feeling sophisticated and refined at the same time. I definitely get an opening blast of green notes and some nice soft florals that are blended but again feel sort of fresh and spring like. It is a bit on the drier side for a spring floral too, it is green but not super dewy and not sweet. There is some nice depth here too though with a nice vetiver and the leaher. It's not strong leather note, but it is a touch animalic, I think and definitely provides a nice slightly richer base to this perfume. So pretty.
19th March, 2019

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

Nice fresh citrus-y green cologne. The opening has a mossy herbal bitter orange combo like Hermes' Eau d'Orange vert, and I can definitely see the resemblance to it which is also a cologne I love. I do find the drydown is a little more herbal and spicy than the more mossy woodsy EOV, but I do still get some mossy woods here too. I wish there could be a bit more oakmoss (common problem for me who discovered my great love for this note and then really got into perfume right after it was largely regulated out), which might help the lasting power a bit. It does last at least as long as EOV though, probably more like the concentree, so that's a plus. It is a pretty unisex scent like most Aetlier and Hermes colognes. I'd wear this a lot in the warmer months.
18th March, 2019

Geisha Green by Aroma M

A nice zesty and aromatic green perfume with a lovely licorice note and a very slightly powdery violet aspect, as well as a slight boozy feel from the 'absinthe' note. Balanced well with the slight sweetness and warmth in the base from the amber and tonka so it doesn't get too sharp and herbal. Perfect for springtime and St. Patrick's day (today)! You do definitely need to like licorice or anise for this though.
18th March, 2019

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Opens with a slight melony note(calone given the release date?) and that lipstick smell that sometimes happens with rose/violet perfumes and a bit of a synthetic buzz. It's strange on first try, but its also kind of strange and fun, especially the more wears you give it. Drys down into a lovely powdery rose scent over vanilla and white musk, which really comes in and rounds out the opening. The vanilla never gets cloying or bakery smelling though, and the white musk never gets sharp or too laundry-esque. It smells nice and clean and clear powdery and violet-y. Very nicely done in a very cool bottle. Perfect for spring.
16th March, 2019

Interlude Woman by Amouage

This is a beautiful and interesting fruity incense and immortelle scent. The opening is a bit strange and dissonant ( which I've heard is intentional) and it took me a couple of wears to get used to it, but I love it now. It settles into a very interesting kiwi- incense-heavy oriental type scent that is very unique. I definitely detect the notes of kiwi, walnut, heavy frankincense and immortelle a lot. Given the latter two, this is definitely recommended as a winter/ cold weather scent. It is a powerhouse so that is another reason to use it that time of year, as a couple sprays is enough and it lasts all day. I actually DO NOT RECOMMEND wearing this in the summer. I thought I hated it the first time I tried it because I tested it in July the first time and it just became a giant kiwi/immortelle bomb and I had to scrub it almost immediately. I decided to give it another chance in the cold weather and I'm so glad I did. I now find it quite unique, cozy, elegant and delightful.
16th March, 2019

Ormonde Woman by Ormonde Jayne

This perfume is so lovely. It makes me feel like I'm in a sun-dappled mossy forest on a warm day. It has a fairy or fantasy like quality to it as well, but is still elegant and refined. It is light and airy while also maintaining a deep woodsy feel with a little spice. The performance is good too. Nicely done!
15th March, 2019

Colette by Tocca

A nice, cheerful yet elegant, easy to wear vanilla citrus scent. I like the juniper in the opening as well, gives it a bit of a brief gin vibe in conjunction with the citrus before the vanilla really kicks in. It never becomes cloying or cupcakey when it does. Nice grab and go for daytime, easy going and non-offensive without being boring. Probably my favorite of the Tocca line.

Ambra Aurea by Profumum

A dark, deep and smokey amber. Fortunately not of the super sweet and vanillic kind. I can see the ambergris element especially in the opening, its a little salty and sort of gooey, which is nicely contrasted by the dry smoky incense. It becomes softer and gentler after the first few hours, but it is still very tenacious. Pretty linear and simple, but in this case it's solid and smells very good so I don't mind very much. Beautiful job.

White Collection : Rain by Commodity

I was not a fan of this one, but I also generally dislike aquatics and tend to shy away from anything with calone notes in general with very few exceptions. Given that, I think it might be more more me than the fragrance. People who like this style, seem to really enjoy this one.

Black Collection : Moss by Commodity

I was excited about this because I love oakmoss and elemi and woodsy scents, but I didn't get a huge moss feel. It was nice, but only okay. I was left smelling rather pleasant, but unmoved. I guess like PumpkinPie mentioned in their review, I prefer that "true moss dirt smell" when I'm looking for something "mossy". I love the earthiness of it, and felt a but let down by the expectations.

Yesterday Haze by Imaginary Authors

Figgy, creamy, dusty, woodsy. It's nice. I wish it was maybe slightly more powerful, and like many Imaginary Authors perfumes it can feel a little rough somehow. I'll wear through my sample definitely and would maybe consider a travel size, it's easy to wear and would be nice sometimes on a casual fall day, but so far not FB worthy.
13th March, 2019

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

I didn't like this on the first try, but I don't think I really gave it much of a chance past the opening. I tried it again and now I really enjoy it after letting it settle down and keeping an open mind. (raspberry and strawberry notes can often go weird and bad on me). I definitely get the creamy/lactonic plastic vanilla strawberry vibe this time. It's very sweet but not annoyingly so (I tend to only like a few gourmands). I find it youthful but not immature (probably with the strawberry and plastic doll head smells), and it's very comforting. It kind of reminds me of wearing a cozy sweater as a kid drinking strawberry milk and playing with barbies, etc. but also a bit more adult and sophisticated with the woods in the base. I'm glad I gave it another chance. I definitely need to be in the right mood to wear it, and it's more of a cozy home scent, but I'm really enjoying it!
12th March, 2019

Orca by House of Matriarch

It smells very good. I like the incense and get ambergris and woods and amber-y warmth and it's lovely. I can tell it's made with quality ingredients and it's well blended, but unfortunately I don't get the performance necessary to justify the price point. Projection is pretty much nothing after about an hour, which isn't always something I look for, but the longevity is an issue too. Even thoroughly sprayed, I have to really bury my nose in my wrist to get anything and it fades quickly. I know this is a common issue with natural perfumery. Sad because I love the smell and the aesthetic of this house. I also love a good incense and a drier amber, and I like that the perfumer is a fellow Seattlite! Too bad. If it lasted and projected I'd be hooked!
11th March, 2019

Venetian Bergamot by Tom Ford

Only bergamot for about a second then becomes a surprise headache inducing animalic white floral bomb. (I did test this first in summer heat). I'm fall, I tried it again and now it's not choking me out, but it's just kind of a meh spicy white floral, and still a bit grating after a time. Either way, not great.

You Or Someone Like You by Etat Libre d'Orange

I like the opening, unfortunately it doesn't last or really shift much and the mid onward it just goes into a light grapefruit rose type smell on me. It's ultimately pretty boring. Too bad.

Une Amourette Roland Mouret by Etat Libre d'Orange

Mostly straight up akigalawood on me, then a bit of clean powdery kicks in, and it's just kind of dull and slightly peppery. Not a fan.

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Overpriced neroli cologne.

Noël au Balcon by Etat Libre d'Orange

In the same vein as 5 o clock au gingembre or tea for two, but dripping with honey and a fairly strong fruity vibe that makes me prefer the other two. It's well done though, and those with more of a sweet tooth (nose?) than me will probably enjoy it.
20th September, 2018

Don't Get Me Wrong Baby Yes I Do by Etat Libre d'Orange

Aldehyde laundry muget. Nicely made one, but there are lots.
20th September, 2018

Eau de Mandarine Ambrée by Hermès

Reminds me of pez candy or kids chewable vitamins, the chalky kind. Kind of fun to sample, but don't really want to walk around smelling that way. :)
19th September, 2018

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I get lily and clove, but I definitely think this suffered a vast thinning from reformulation over time. I got a sample vial to remember what it smelled like, as I remember smelling it in magazine strips back in the early 90s. I remember it smelling bigger, but not near the 80s powerhouse level. It's nice but seems like a ghost of it's former self.
18th September, 2018

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

Nice for what it is. I think for a younger girl or woman it's an excellent sort of intro perfume. Nice safe grab and go, pleasant. Fine for office or school.
18th September, 2018