Reviews by jerrol37

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This has a quiet austerity to it. It's mature, but comes off very well made and quite beautiful.

I typically detest gourmand fragrances, but this one is my exception.

The individual notes are detectable for me. The best thing I can say about LIDG is that it's a fragrance that teaches you about fragrance. It has layers, they're all there. The longevity and projection are well above satisfactory.

10.
07th May, 2017

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I wouldn't recommend blind-buying this as I did.

I hated it at first. Was extremely disappointed. Then I spent most of a weekend trying to get to know it. Now I like it, in a limited sense.

Realize that what you are hit with at first is a very bitter citrus, not a sweet one IMO. I usually associate a citrus with some sweetness so this was tough for me to get right away. I just didn't like it. But once I realized what I was smelling, and that it was new to me, my frustration subsided a bit. I began searching out the citrus in this scent, getting used to it. After that I enjoyed it much, much more.

The cedar is strong as well. If you don't like cedar, or bitter bergamot, stay far away from this one.

However, there is a definite smoothness to this scent.

It's a powerful scent with what I imagine very good sillage and projection. The longevity is better than average as well.

It does smell old, like barbers talc in areas. I doubt very many women would be seduced by this. But if you're like me and you wear scents that you like and that challenge you, then I'd recommend Bois du Portugal.

I would be unlikely to wear this in hot weather.

Overall 8-9 out of 10.

30th April, 2017 (last edited: 03rd May, 2017)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I never smelled Egoiste but this platinum version is what I consider to be the classiest scent that I own.

It's mature, fresh, piny even. I can smell the rosemary and vetiver as well.

Great performance on me.

I get a full day out of it which means I can smell it on my clothes at the end of the day.

I just associate it with the conception of class.

Very fresh and clear.

Biggie mentions it in the lyrics of "Nasty Girl".

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I feel like this is a really unique scent beyond my ability to describe in any helpful way. I smelled the orange, the gunflint and the vetiver. It's elemental, earthy.

The more I smelled this and wore it, the more I liked it and came to appreciate its quality.

If you're like me and you expect your scents to last, this one gets you through a whole day easily. Really terrific longevity for me.

It's very unique IMO, but not something I imagine women falling over themselves to smell.

However, this one gets a 10 from me.

Vetiver by Guerlain

I disliked this scent so much at first I was convinced that my bottle was fake. After some diligence, I determined that it's legit and it's the latest version.

There is something antiseptic about this scent at first. I honestly thought about a recently cleaned public bathroom when I smelled it. For me the lemon and the vetiver were the strongest notes and the two of them together smelled like some fancy grassy lemon urinal cake.

The vetiver is strong and nice, however. It's what I'm inclined to smell as the truest vetiver note, grassy and green.

If you aren't a big fan of vetiver, stay away. It's not like creed's original vetiver whose vetiver note is very subtle. Guerlain's version is huge on vetiver in comparison.

The drydown is admirable. It doesn't change a ton but for me the scent improves after about an hour of wearing.

I can't rate this poorly because it's a vetiver scent and the vetiver is present and well done IMO.

Certainly not my favorite, but worthy of a spot in the collection and also very cheaply purchased online.

Original Vetiver by Creed

My first Creed fragrance and a blind buy. Believe the soap comments when you read them. It does smell like soap. I was pretty irked at first. But then I gave it some time, and with that said, it smells like a beautiful, powerful, green, gingery, ultra-fresh soap that you want to smell like.

Personally I love it.

The vetiver is there but you really have to be on the lookout for it. Very subtle. The "vetiver in name only" reviews are fairly accurate.

It's a great performer which is a must for me. It lasts all day on me.

Scent:9/10