Reviews by jerrol37

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Lime and coconut. Creamy. Nothing majestic here, but nothing bad either. Soothing beachy vibe. Most of the other reviews will give you a good idea of what to expect.

I’ll give you the honest scoop on longevity as everyone dumps on creed longevity.

I got what I consider a full day out of it, solid 8 hrs.
I’d say I was projecting for 5-6 of those, but that’s always hard to tell.

Overall performance. 8.5/10 with Aventus being a 10 for scale.

Ultimately I would have liked the scent to have one other dimension. I guess you could say sugary would be another dimension but I sort of automatically lump that aspect in with the coconut.

Also, I’m not exactly a big cocunut fan, but this one isn’t offensive, even for someone normally put off by all things coconut.

It’s a quality pick if you want a Caribbean/ lime/coconut scent.

In the end, I’ll take my Millésime Imperial or Aventus.
10th May, 2018

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I sniffed this on the strip at Sephora a few times. The top notes smelled carboardish to me and I walked away from it on each occasion.
Then one day I gave myself a good spray and left.

About a half hour later I got out of my car and a breeze picked up the scent and sent it swirling about. I was like, oh wow, this is beautiful.

The worst thing I can say about it is that the scent does have a bit of lipstick-ishness. But if you can get over that, I was able to, this scent is a real gem.

This is the best designer/mainstream fragrance that I own.

Longevity is great for an EDT. Sillage is mighty, too.

This is a 10. What a surprise.
15th April, 2018

Royal Water by Creed

Royal Water is my tenth creed frag. I bought it because I was looking for a new addition with good longevity after neroli sauvage proved to be 9/10's a skin scent, though it is really beautiful.

What an underrated gem Royal Water is. I buy blind because I'm not paying retail at Neiman Marcus, the only brick and mortar creed retailer in my vicinity, and I'm too impatient for the ordering of sample vials. I'd rather just wing it and hope for the best. Needless to say I am a big creed fan and trust the brand.

I was hesitant about the peppermint note because I didn't want to walk around smelling like some sugary peppermint life-saver all day. I can say that the peppermint is there, but wonderfully restrained.

The note pyramid is pretty much right on. And you can smell that wonderful creed ambergris base that I fell in love with. And as for its longevity, it's terrific. In those terms it holds its own with Royal Oud, Aventus and GIT, among others.

It is a pretty scent, not terribly masculine to be sure, but I'm more or less a guy's guy and I have no problem wearing it.
Some have said that it smells like something an old lady would wear. I don't find it to be that at all.
The citrus opening is similar to the neroli sauvage opening, and you can smell the musk in it which usually gives me confidence in the longevity of any creed.

I will agree with others in that it seems to fall somewhere in the midst of other creeds, sharing different parts of different creed scents. And I wouldn't call it ground-breakingly original.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

Edit: Do not overspray. It’s cloying as heck and downright suffocating and unpleasant if overapplied. In my opinion, two sprays max.
10th March, 2018 (last edited: 08th April, 2018)

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Green, salty, melon, the idea perhaps of an under-ripe watermelon.

One of the more unique creed creations I own. I may have previously smelled melon-ish things slightly similar in lotions and so forth, but the quality of ingredients, I believe, makes this scent shine. And it's the salt and musk that lifts it out of the mediocrity of some bath and body works watermelon body spray.

As with ALL creeds, some claim disastrously short longevity, others claim that they sprayed it on a shirt 10 years ago and that it's still there, projecting.

I find its longevity to be moderate to good. Certainly not a disappointment in that department. I think a lot of people, because of creed's price tag, demand and expect a longevity outside of time itself. If Jesus wore it, they'd want the shroud of Turin to still reek of it. This is due to a misunderstanding of ingredients and chemistry.

In any case, a solid thumbs up.

Edit: I like this scent more and more each time I wear it, and I find myself going to it more frequently.

Edit 2: Creed is my favorite house by far, and I never thought anything would come close to Aventus, but honestly I’ve never had a scent grow on me like Millesime Impérial. If it had the longevity of Aventus, there would be a sure tie for first place in my wardrobe.

10th March, 2018 (last edited: 08th April, 2018)

Chergui by Serge Lutens

Not necessarily my taste, but very beautiful and interesting.

Sugar, tobacco, syrupy amber, incense.

Very dry, but rich.

And for the price you can get this at, you'd be silly not to go for it.

It's really gorgeous.

Performance is powerful.

02nd March, 2018

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Leather, leather, leather. Beautifully done. Nice patchouli.

This was not something thrown together to appeal to frat boys. This a gentleman's scent or a niche fragrance lover's scent.

It feels niche.

Great longevity and projection.

If Guilty Black (which to my shame I own and used to think was great before I really knew what a fragrance should deliver) was the baby the Spartan father was dangling over a cliff for inspection before finding his offspring unworthy, Guilty Absolute is the Spartan Father.

25th February, 2018

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

Extremely pleasant orangey, lemony effervescence on top. Short-lived. Creamy/ambergris base.

My suggestion, though it runs contrary best custom: spray it on your clothes. My skin burned right through the best of it in well under an hour, though, like the other of my notoriously short-lived Creed possessions, Erolfa, I am getting subtle whiffs of it a few hours on which tempers my frustration and my ultimate willingness to totally discount its performance.

By no means a beast. But it is a very pretty citrus.

24th February, 2018

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Iris and verbena. It's the essential Creed if you don't want to pop for Aventus.

yes it resembles cool water, but it's obviously more well constructed. If you can get over the cool water thing, you'll love this.

Performance for me is great.

Himalaya by Creed

Tied for my second favorite Creed after Aventus with Green Irish Tweed.

I love it.

Crisp, almost metallic freshness.

Great performance.

9.5/10

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

boozy black tea.

I don't mind it.

Good performance for me.

8.5/10

Encre Noire by Lalique

Dracula's castle dungeon, with ashes and smoky vetiver. Medieval.

Not for everyone. But it's a cool take on vetiver.

This can be had for dirt cheap online so maybe worth a go if you're feeling spunky and are currently reading Bram Stoker's novel.

6.5/10

Aventus by Creed

Bought a sample vial months ago. Finally ponied up for a 4oz flacon.

I'll admit right off the bat that I'm quite a creed fan. Let that fact shade my comments how it will according to how you feel about this house.

I do believe in batch variation, for my sample vial was a bit smokier than my own bottle, 16H01. Mine is fruitier. However, I don't think the severity of variation is as extreme as others hold it to be.

This is the finest fragrance I've ever put to my nose. Smoky pineapple, apple, birch and that lovely creamy ambrox you find especially in Original Vetiver. Honestly, when it arrived I considered my creed collection complete.

The three that follow relatively closely behind for me are Himalaya, Original Vetiver, and, of course, Green Irish Tweed, all great performers as well.

When I smell this fragrance, I smile. I can't help myself. Is it worth the money? It is for me.

Also, buyer beware. I told my friend about this fragrance and he bought a bottle for $250 from some online source. Not sure which. About a week ago, after he saw some internet posts/videos about fake Aventus he texted me for pictures of my bottle and lot number, batch number etc.

His was fake.

If you're gonna drop this kind of money on a fragrance, buy from a reputable source.

Projection is excellent. Longevity is excellent as well, though I do believe this fragrance lends itself easily to noseblindness for the wearer. For me, after about 5 hours it feels like a skin scent, but today at the seventh hour mark I had someone ask me if I was wearing something new. So it was still projecting.

This is the only creed fragrance of which I bought a sample vial first, and the one of which there was the least need to do so; in fact, none.
C'est le meilleur de tout. Ne laissez personne vous dire autrement.

16th February, 2018 (last edited: 20th February, 2018)

The Dreamer by Versace

This stuff is delightful. It's not hyper-masculine. I'd call it a pretty scent of iris and tobacco, but not smoky, more like the plant itself. And you can find this scent for cheap at most discount stores like Ross/tjmaxx/marshals. Don't pay department store prices for this.

Solid longevity
Good sillage

I give it a 9/10 with the cheap availability giving it that extra boost.
17th September, 2017

Erolfa by Creed

I own BdP, GIT, OV, RO and now Erolfa and I can honestly say that Erolfa is the best 15 minute fragrance I've ever owned.

The scent itself is lovely.
The longevity is inexcusable.

Edit: I take it back. A testament to the fickleness of the ofactory sense. Applied liberally this morning, I just got a solid 8 hours and it’s still going. Weird, cuz this one really pissed me off. But the musk is what’s letting it power on.
31st July, 2017 (last edited: 01st March, 2018)

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This has a quiet austerity to it. It's mature, but comes off very well made and quite beautiful.

I typically detest gourmand fragrances, but this one is my exception.

The individual notes are detectable for me. The best thing I can say about LIDG is that it's a fragrance that teaches you about fragrance. It has layers, they're all there. The longevity and projection are well above satisfactory.

10.
07th May, 2017

Vetiver by Guerlain

I disliked this scent so much at first I was convinced that my bottle was fake. After some diligence, I determined that it's legit and it's the latest version.

There is something antiseptic about this scent at first. I honestly thought about a recently cleaned public bathroom when I smelled it. For me the lemon and the vetiver were the strongest notes and the two of them together smelled like some fancy grassy lemon urinal cake.

The vetiver is strong and nice, however. It's what I'm inclined to smell as the truest vetiver note, grassy and green.

If you aren't a big fan of vetiver, stay away. It's not like creed's original vetiver whose vetiver note is very subtle. Guerlain's version is huge on vetiver in comparison.

The drydown is admirable. It doesn't change a ton but for me the scent improves after about an hour of wearing.

I can't rate this poorly because it's a vetiver scent and the vetiver is present and well done IMO.

Certainly not my favorite, but worthy of a spot in the collection and also very cheaply purchased online.

30th April, 2017 (last edited: 17th March, 2018)

Bleu de Chanel Eau de Toilette by Chanel

This is just a beautiful scent. Very fresh and deep and blue, whatever blue means, and a terrific performer.

Oddly I like this scent most in the winter.

Super versatile, most will like the smell if they catch it on you.

30th April, 2017 (last edited: 23rd February, 2018)

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I wouldn't recommend blind-buying this as I did.

I hated it at first. Was extremely disappointed. Then I spent most of a weekend trying to get to know it. Now I like it, in a limited sense.

Realize that what you are hit with at first is a very bitter citrus, not a sweet one IMO. I usually associate a citrus with some sweetness so this was tough for me to get right away. I just didn't like it. But once I realized what I was smelling, and that it was new to me, my frustration subsided a bit. I began searching out the citrus in this scent, getting used to it. After that I enjoyed it much, much more.

The cedar is strong as well. If you don't like cedar, or bitter bergamot, stay far away from this one.

However, there is a definite smoothness to this scent.

It's a powerful scent with what I imagine very good sillage and projection. The longevity is better than average as well.

It does smell old, like barbers talc in areas. I doubt very many women would be seduced by this. But if you're like me and you wear scents that you like and that challenge you, then I'd recommend Bois du Portugal.

I would be unlikely to wear this in hot weather.

Overall 8-9 out of 10.

30th April, 2017 (last edited: 03rd May, 2017)

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

I never smelled Egoiste but this platinum version is what I consider to be the classiest scent that I own.

It's mature, fresh, piny even. I can smell the rosemary and vetiver as well.

Great performance on me.

I get a full day out of it which means I can smell it on my clothes at the end of the day.

I just associate it with the conception of class.

Very fresh and clear.

Biggie mentions it in the lyrics of "Nasty Girl".

30th April, 2017

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I feel like this is a really unique scent beyond my ability to describe in any helpful way. I smelled the orange, the gunflint and the vetiver. It's elemental, earthy.

The more I smelled this and wore it, the more I liked it and came to appreciate its quality.

If you're like me and you expect your scents to last, this one gets you through a whole day easily. Really terrific longevity for me.

It's very unique IMO, but not something I imagine women falling over themselves to smell.

However, this one gets a 10 from me.

30th April, 2017

Original Vetiver by Creed

My first Creed fragrance and a blind buy. Believe the soap comments when you read them. It does smell like soap. I was pretty irked at first. But then I gave it some time, and with that said, it smells like a beautiful, powerful, green, gingery, ultra-fresh soap that you want to smell like.

Personally I love it.

The vetiver is there but you really have to be on the lookout for it. Very subtle. The "vetiver in name only" reviews are fairly accurate.

It's a great performer which is a must for me. It lasts all day on me.

Scent:9/10