Reviews by ApplesKuwait

L'Aventure by Al Haramain

There aren't many situations where I'd say I'm lucky to live in Kuwait, but I'm going to say it now. Lucky because in the old part of Kuwait City is the "Heritage Souk" where there exists a plethora of Arabic perfume shops, among them Al Haramain (makers of L'Aventure) and Rasasi (makers of the astonishing the La Yuqawam series).
I could wax lyrical about La Yuqawam Pour Homme, but I'll leave that for another day.
Let me tell you about L'Aventure by Al Haramain. I sprayed it on this morning at 11am. It's now 5pm and it is still a beast. Every time I move my wrists the delightful scent captures my attention.
Now, I'm sure you knowledgable gents know that L'Aventure is often compared to Creed Aventus. This afternoon, I went to the largest perfume department store in Kuwait and tried Aventus. There's no doubting it; Aventus is a beautiful scent. Initially, I wasn't impressed, but after 15 minutes and the dry-down, it really grew on me. But at 100 Kuwaiti Dinars ($330US/$430AUD) who can justify it? Well, if you have unlimited funds at your disposal, go ahead and splurge (one of my friends has three bottles of it, all with different batch numbers), but I can't justify spending that on Aventus... when I know that at Al Haramain in the souk, there awaits L'Aventure at a mere 10 Kuwaiti Dinars ($33US/$43AUD).
I'm wearing both now. I'm carefully noting the fragrance on each wrist. I close my eyes. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference. In fact, can I be honest? I actually prefer L'Aventure (maybe it's the price that's making a compelling argument here). L'Aventure comes in a lovely wooden/felt box, the bottle is silver metal and glass and the first impression is quality and class. When I spray it on, day or night, I always get compliments from both men and women, and I'm delighted when they say, "Ah you're wearing Aventus aren't you- I'd know that scent anywhere!" To which I answer, "Actually no- it's L'Aventure by Al Haramain.
I'm certainly not going to tell you not to buy Aventus because the Creed perfume is a great one, but seriously, for me, it's a complete no-brainer. At 10KD, L'Aventure an absolute steal! Go on, take the challenge- at $33, you'd be nuts not to (and you know you want to!)
Sillage: 9/10
Longevity: 9/10
Packaging: 9/10
Have I told you how lucky I am to live in Kuwait...?
~Apples
10th November, 2017

La Yuqawam pour Homme by Rasasi

Given I bought it for you ApplesHK, I'm thrilled you enjoy it as much as I do.
I agree with other reviewers here that you should not compare it with Tom Ford. Tuscan Leather is a truly beautiful scent but at more than three times the price, Al Yuqawam Pour Homme is a no - brainer.
First, the packaging: Al Yuqawam Pour Homme is beautifully presented in a dark brown wooden box which closes with a lovely magnetic "clunk". The bottle itself is dark brown with a golden leaf motif and feels sensational in the hand.
The initial scent is leather, leather and more leather. "Beast" is often thrown around but Al Yuqawam Pour Homme really is a big masculine scent.
The dry-down is leather, with tobacco notes and I get a lovely fresh berry note as well.
I spray three times at 6am and even in the Middle East heat, it is still going strong at 8pm that night. Al Yuqawam Pour Homme retails here for 20 Kuwaiti Dinars (about $65 US) but is often on special at Rassasi Perfumes where you can buy three Al Yuqawam blends (Pour Homme, Ambergris Showers and Tobacco Blaze) for 40KD ($131US) which is an astonishing deal.
If you like Dior's new forgettable "Sauvage", or any of the young men's clones which have you smelling of pineapple and peaches, this is definitely not for you. A light scent? No. Al Yuqawam Pour Homme is a rich, masculine, classic perfume which I think is ideal at night with a nice crisp white shirt and a navy blue Zegna suit: classic all the way.

In fact, I can recommend all three Al Yuqawams in the series; I'm not sure if "flanker" is the right term for Ambergris Showers and Tobacco Blaze, because "flanker" to me has connotations of being a second-rate copy of the original. These are all worthy scents which can hold up to scrutiny in their own right. I feel that Ambergris Showers is lighter and more suited to being worn during the day and Tobacco Haze holds a position somewhere between the two.
For those of you not in the Middle East, this perfume will be somewhat difficult to obtain but I think you will be rewarded for your diligence and determination.
I rate Al Yuqawam Pour Homme Triple A. In fact, it's my favourite scent at the moment.
What else I'm wearing: Vetiver (Guerlain), Heritage (Guerlain), Derby (Guerlain), Habit Rouge (Guerlain), Creed GIT, YSL's Kouros, Chanel Antaeus, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Givenchy Gentleman, Azzaro Pour Homme.
15th May, 2017