Reviews by JamiesonB

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

GIT was my signature scent for 18 years, that was until they reformulated it.
The latest 2017 offering is nothing like vintage GIT (1995-2012) which is a real shame, as it was a MASTERPIECE, they 'new' version is simply not even close to the original.
In fact, i'd say the latest 2017 batch smells more like a less chemical smelling Aspen spliced with CW or even one of those smell alike jobbies you get on Ebay or Amazon.

If you think i'm wide of the mark by saying GIT has changed massively, consider this;
How can this still smell the same when the notes and where they are placed in the frag have changed? Its no longer the same ingredients or composition that was launched in '85, so surely it must smell different?

If you don't believe me not only have they added Lemon and Peppermint to the Top notes they have also removed Iris and put it in the Base and in doing so Creed have killed GIT's legendary opening

The notes listed above are wrong with the new notes being:
Top notes: Lemon, Indian Verbena, Peppermint
Heart notes: Violet leaves
Base notes: Florentine Iris, Sandalwood, Ambergris

Rant over, I'm off to find a new signature scent.............
25th September, 2017

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

This is a beautiful scent!
Opens with a huge blast of cannabis and a resinous, sticky greenness that last for 3-4 hours, before being joined by lots of aromatic woody notes and a spicy incense, almost with a sweet and smokey accord.
I also get wafts of a deep intense floral note, although none is listed in the profile, and i think it may well be a blend of the coffee and tobacco?
I find this so easy to wear and not at all overpowering, although it is thunderously strong and lasts over 24 hours on my skin and projects like a beast.
I was in a coffee shop and the barrista was asked what frag she had on, to which she replied, 'It's not me, it's the guy sat upstairs', I'd gone in there 20 mins earlier!

Is it really unisex? Yes, as to my nose it's not overtly feminine or masculine but should be viewed as a truly remarkable piece of perfumery that has created a delectable scent that is powerful without being overbearing, sweet but never cloying and an absolute joy to wear!!
23rd September, 2017

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I'm a new convert to the frags of Tom Ford, having previously poured scorn on them all.
Oh boy, I don't care if this, or the four others I've recently purchased, are reformulated as they smell heavenly.

I wear frags for the whole experience, not just the smell. As with my other hobbies of coffee and wine, the scent journey starts with the unboxing and the anticipation of what's to come. Its a full sensory experience.

As soon as I take the cap off the bottle, this transports me to an opulent Narnia-esque woody grove, full of exotic tress covered in snow and ice.
Then I hit the sprayer and Winter is replaced by glorious springtime and I feel like i'm standing there enveloped in a gentle stream of warm, aromatic woody air, caressed and comforted on all sides.

A remarkable piece of perfumery, totally unisex, projects incredibly but is never suffocating or overbearing, you think its gone but then a subtle waft hits you so you know its always there, warm, aromatic and very satisfying.
I feel very fortunate to have in my collection.

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

Yes it's unisex, yes it's gorgeous!
Simply stunning perfume.
2 notes dominate but they work incredible together; Black Roses & dark chocolate.
Not sweet, cloying or sickly, but literally the smell of roses dipped in the finest dark chocolate.
The fragrance envelopes you with a density I've only felt with Black Afgano, wearing this feels almost ethereal

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

When I wear this I often get 'This smells like Christmas' comments but not in a negative way, folk really love the warm, sweet, cinnamon smell and the incredible enveloping density, but not in an overbearing way, this frag has.

Performance seems to be a bit of an issue, with some claiming beast mode and other 'meh, it don't last for diddly'
I'm lucky as I get beast mode with it and it easily lasts 12-14 hours and projects well for 4-5.
As for the frag, it's pretty much as it says on the tin: Tobacco leaf, vanilla, cinnamon, clove etc and warm, sweet aromatic woods.
This is Christmas in a bottle or snuggling in your favourite PJs with your SO in front of a roaring fire, toasting marshmallows and sipping on a great claret.

Oh, and it is totally unisex, well at least I think it is, but then again you may not, but that's cool too.

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

Bit of an odd one on me, not just the smell but performance.

Odd thing 1 is in the opening. As you'd expect from a fresh green scent it opens with a fresh citrusy grassy waft which is lovely but after a minute or 2 I get a slightly quirky oatmeal/porridge note that isn't unpleasant but just seems weird.
I've never had lemongrass flavoured porridge before but can imagine this is what it would smell like.
After about half an hour I start to get the tea dry down and thats what I like about the frag. I'd say this is the stage where it surpasses GIT, and GIT was my signature scent for 18 years, so I don't say that lightly.

Odd thing 2 is performance. Longevity is OK, not great, but OK as I get 6-7 hours out of it but projection and silage are pretty darn good with folk saying they can smell it throughout it's duration.
BUT then it just goes, it doesn't fade or tone down to a skin scent, it just vanishes completely. Literally its 'now you see me now you don't'. I've been able to apply another scent on the same spot i'd previously sprayed Chez Bond as it fades so totally.

Anyhoo, I like it, I don't love it but it's a really nice spring time frag that i'll probably always have on hand and is a nice accompaniment to GIT in my collection.