Reviews by raalgon

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Pro: This is an instantly likable male scent (not that a woman couldn't wear it, but it is not surprising on a man). The raspberry/leather combination works well, imo.

Contra: Comes off as pretty synthetic, and has little development. This is very linear.

At this price, not fb-worthy for me. Not a bad bottle to have, though.
01st December, 2018

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I find this nauseating. The sweetness comes over very synthetic to me (that doesn't mean it is). Tobacco Vanille tries to be inoffensive, mainstream. I wouldn't downvote for that. But after wearing this for an hour or so, I cannot stand it anymore - too linear, too sweet, too synthetic (for lack of a better word). Try Amouage Journey if you like Tobacco.
24th November, 2018

Laine de Verre by Serge Lutens

Tries to smell almost perfectly like fabric softener, however, the ingredients are better, or at least, leave more of a natural impression. This is an interesting experiment, albeit one I would not be willing to spend 50€ on. I'm happy with my sample.
22nd October, 2018

Lui by Mazzolari

Dangerously close to Amouage Gold.
20th September, 2018

Opus VI by Amouage

Bright and soapy, spicy, yet wonderfully complex thanks to the central amber, Opus VI is truly a masterpiece.

At first, its brightness made it similar to Opus IV for me. Then, I noticed its spiciness; This alone makes it lean male for me. Finally, I understood that the central complexity is amber, a note I know and adore in S. Lutens' Ambre Sultan. With this knowledge, it became clear to me that Opus VI also is a very soapy scent, and this aspect reminds me of my favourite Journey from this house.

This is a brilliant scent, and I am certain that I will get a FB at some point.
02nd September, 2018

Colonia Sandalo by Acqua di Parma

I have given this another try. Using only 4 sprays, I have managed to overdose. So my previous assessment was either made in rainy weather or with a much less powerful sample.

I do not know the original Aqua di Parma, so I cannot compare against that. I did try Intensa last time and liked Sandalo better.

This is an old school Eau de Cologne, with a bitter, refreshing touch. This Sandalo flanker claims to tranform into a Sandalwood base note, and I cannot falsify this claim given my merely superficial familiarity with Sandalwood. I like the woody development, though.

180€ is still a lot for this, and if I were to buy something like this, I would try the Intensa and other variations first, which are much more affordable than Sandalo.

Given its much improved longevity and sillage compared to my previous review, though, it can at least be imagined that someone likes this enough to pay this price. Me, I have enough samples for a year or two.
28th August, 2018 (last edited: 27th November, 2018)

Journey Man by Amouage

This is my favourite of the woody/spicy/male Amouage
scents. Journey is woody, soapy, oriental, spicy, sweet, and luxurious.

It reminded me strongly of Versace Oud Noir. However, the similarity is not as striking anymore. The soapiness, which is a major feature, is not present in Oud Noir, and in return, Journey does not have Oud.

Compared to other offerings from Amouage, Journey is
sweet and soapy, which neither Epic nor Honour are. Both Honour and Epic are stronger, smokier, more peppery. They also tend to address an older crowd than Journey, but that is entirely a matter of taste, of course.

Journey is much less floral than Dia Man. It is kind of similar to Interlude, but the incense is less important in Journey, and its sweetness is different from Interlude's (no oregano here).
22nd August, 2018 (last edited: 08th September, 2018)

Chergui by Serge Lutens

To me, this is an iris-based scent, and the best I have ever smelled. A very powerful, yet wearable combination that is easily FB worthy, imo.

EDIT: My enthusiasm has waned somewhat. This is very nice in the winter. In warmer weather, Chergui becomes too sweet for my taste.
28th March, 2018 (last edited: 03rd May, 2018)

Dia Man by Amouage

Dia is subtle and doesn't project much. Although I concluded otherwise on my first wear, I have realized that it actually has pretty good longevity (8-9 hours). This was the scent I liked best from Amouage's collection that also includes Jubilation and Reflection. After trying the sample for almost a year, I have decided that I need this and have bought a FB. Dia is extremely wearable, IF you can accept that it is not all woods and spices, but also has floral notes. It does have some similarity to Silver and Ciel in this respect, but does not go as far with the florals as these two. A wonderful, complex scent that never gets boring.

27th March, 2018 (last edited: 04th December, 2018)

Individuel by Montblanc

This starts similar to Original Santal, but it is true that OS is creamier, and that MB is sweeter and more synthetic. MB is certainly worth its price tag (I payed 30€ for 75 ml), though.
26th March, 2018

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

I liked it at first. Linear and piercing as it is, though, I can't stand this after an hour.
21st March, 2018

Viking by Creed

This gives me headaches.
13th March, 2018 (last edited: 12th April, 2018)

Dior Homme Sport (2017) by Christian Dior

Nice, similar to both bleu de chanel and chanel allure homme (grapefruit vs mandarin). Redundant in my wardrobe.
01st February, 2018

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

Worth trying. This does indeed smell a little synthetic. If you apply it very liberally, it lasts longer and can even approach 6-8 hours. The scent overall is nice, although I'm not a big fan of the initial booziness. Relatively affordable and worlds better than something like ck shock. Still quite young.
30th January, 2018

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

A nice fragrance, but it seems somehow restrained, cut off. Not sure if this is the fault of a reformulation (my bottle is from 2017, so, very recent) or if this is just what Égoiste was always like. I kind of like it, but this fragrance could be so pungent, clear, piercing. My bottle is none of these, which makes it "safe", but also boring.
12th December, 2017 (last edited: 30th January, 2018)

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This goes in the right direction, and at a very good price. Starts off airy and synthetic like Chanel Allure Homme, which I didn't expect. With some patience, the leather and wood come through, which are very nice. This is not a high quality scent, though, and it can come over a little cheap. Sillage + Longevity were very good.
12th December, 2017 (last edited: 30th January, 2018)

cK one Shock for Him by Calvin Klein

Not a great scent, honestly, but the pricing is excellent. Dark Rebel by John Varvatos is a much better young tobacco EdT in my opinion. ck one shock is pretty synthetic by comparison.
12th December, 2017

Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos

Good, but very similar to the original Dark Rebel. I wouldn't get both. I can't decide which one I like better.
05th December, 2017