Reviews by seeroos.syed

Lalique pour Homme Lion / Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Very nice scent. Smells almost identical to Creed's Bois du Portugal but with better projection and longevity to my nose. Smells of mainly a very woody cedarwood with hints of green notes and lavender to my nose. It smells like you're smelling a tree. Very refined and sophisticated and gentlemanly.

03rd March, 2019

Roses Vanille by Mancera

This is an incredible fragrance that smells of roses and vanilla (a simple combination but smells really great to my nose). It reminds me both of MFK's Oud Satin Mood and Montale Intense Cafe. Though I prefer both those fragrances to this one, this is still really great. It also has very solid projection and amazing longevity (like most Manceras/Montales), and smells really smooth.

Casamorati 1888 by Xerjoff

This is a nice fragrance but a bit feminine. It smells essentially of a sweet yet sour amber with carnations with nothing else. I prefer Xerjoff's Regio for a carnation-based fragrance to this. Projection and longevity are both good.

Oudmazing by Montale

This is a nice fragrance that smells of a fruity mix of pear, grapes, and vanilla (not really any fig) to my nose. There's barely any oud in it. It mostly smells of grape and vanilla. The drydown is somewhat feminine. It has good projection and longevity, and a kind of sharp in texture compared to Mancera fragrances like Roses Vanille. Overall, not bad but not great.

Notturno by Meo Fusciuni

This has a strange opening with the scent of ink (somewhat like Encre Noire) and wine combined. The drydown smells weird like honey and glue together with leather. Longevity isn't that great. Overall not impressed.

Casamorati 1888 Regio by Xerjoff

This is a very beautiful gentlemanly, dark, and somewhat green Italian musk fragrance. The opening is very citrusy yet minty with bergamot, grapefruit, and geranium, and some sort of green leaves accord. On the drydown, it becomes really musky (from the ambrette/musk mallow accord), and floral with lots of carnation and a hint of herbal lavender. I also think I get a hint of leather in the drydown though it's not listed in the notes. On my skin, it's essentially a dark musk and carnation scent. I normally don't like carnation too much when it's used in cheap colognes as a synthetic note, but the carnation in this is so natural smelling and lively that I can't help but love it. The overall impression of the fragrance is smelling a garden of carnations in a dark cave somewhere or perhaps beside an old gothic mansion at midnight. It's quite unique, and the only thing similar to this I've smelled is possibly Geo F. Trumper's Eucris (though that goes in the direction of blackcurrent and oakmoss). The performance for this fragrance is also amazing (like most Xerjoffs), and one doesn't need to spray a lot to get great longevity from it. The projection for this fragrance is moderate leaning strong, while the longevity is fantastic, running at 6 hours of projection before becoming a skin scent. Overall, this is a dark gothic masculine masterpiece with a very unique set of notes and extremely natural scent.

Imperial Lime by Anglia Perfumery

This fragrance smells of lime, clary sage, musk, and a little bit of oakmoss. The lime note in this is far better than the candied lemon note masquerading as 'lime' in Anglia Spiced Lime. The opening reminds me a bit of Taylor of Old Bond Street's Victorian Lime cologne. This fragrance has soft projection; in 2 hours the lime and clary sage disappear, and it becomes a soft musk. Overall it's an ok lime cologne but I prefer Taylor of Old Bond Street's.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

This fragrance smells of green lavender with sandalwood and vetiver. It has a green, somewhat woody opening, and gets much more woody in drydown. It's very old-fashioned and masculine. The drydown also kind of reminds me of Lalique White (lemon-pepper-woods type accord). As with most Creeds, it has moderate-soft projection, and dies down into a skin scent in about 2-3 hours. Overall it's ok but nothing special in my opinion and way overpriced. There are other old-fashioned masculine scents that are far superior to this, for example Geo F. Trumper Eucris, or even Houbigant's Fougere Royal (the modern reissue).

Casamorati 1888 Mefisto by Xerjoff

This fragrance is a homage to Creed's Silver Mountain Water. It smells similar to Silver Mountain Water but is more green and floral, and lacks the ink and tea notes of Silver Mountain Water. In the opening I smell a mix of citrus fruits including grapefruit, bergamot, and lemon, along with some green note in the background. As it dries down it gets sweeter and I can somewhat detect the lavender, rose, sandalwood, and musk notes blended together. They are blended together so well though that I can't pick out individual notes but just a general herbal sort of sweetness. Projection for this fragrance is subtle for a Xerjoff (projects moderately; better in hot weather), while has fairly good longevity, projecting well for 4 hours, and then remaining as a skin scent. Overall, it's a nice niche fresh fragrance. However I can't help feeling performance could be better, and also that my $25 Frank Olivier Sun Java White smells and performs similar to this (though less natural smelling and more metallic), which is why I haven't granted it a perfect score.

26th February, 2019 (last edited: 28th February, 2019)

Oud Satin Mood by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is a stunningly beautiful fragrance that smells to my nose of Persian ice cream (Bastani Sonnati). It's usually vanilla ice cream with a lot of saffron sprinkled on it and drenched in rosewater. Well that's exactly how this fragrance smells, especially the vanilla and rosewater. I don't really smell any oud in it, but that's ok because it's incredible smelling anyway. It smells extremely elegant, and I feel this would be the perfect fragrance to wear with a tuxedo. Projection is subtle yet strong (not cloying at all throughout its duration); while it projects in this way for 4-5 hours and then lingers for many more hours as a skin scent (so great longevity overall). This is one of the best fragrances ever made and one of my favourites of all time; a true masterpiece.

26th February, 2019

Nouveau Bowery by Bond No. 9

This is a beautiful green lime fragrance with incredible projection and longevity. It opens with a very tart and zesty lime note as well as hints of basil in the background, and smells somewhat similar to Jo Malone's famous Lime, Basil, and Mandarin. As it dries down though, it gets even better and the lime somehow becomes more pronounced and more zesty. The lime in this smells realistically like a freshly cut tart lime (no sweetness), which I really like about it. It smells if you can imagine it, like a glass of water with ice, basil leaves, and freshly cut/squeezed limes. On the drydown I detect a slight cucumber note as well, and so it sort of reminds me of a caipirinha. I don't really detect any lily note as indicated in the notes breakdown - it's just lime, basil, and hints of cucumber from time to time. I don't like the Jo Malone that much (which I find too basil-focused and slightly too sour/bitter) but I love this due to its lime focus. Although marketed for women, I find this is pretty masculine (though a woman could wear it if she wants). Projection is strong and leaves a scent bubble around you (something I never thought I'd say about a lime-focused cologne, since the aroma molecule is generally so fleeting), while longevity is strong as well with 4 hours of solid projection, and then many more hours as a skin scent after that. Lime is my favourite note in fragrance, and I've tried a lot of lime-centred colognes. This one definitely takes the cake as the best of them to my nose however due to the mind-blowing longevity of the lime note in this, as well as its natural tartness. Wearing this after a lime aftershave splash is pretty refreshing.

21st February, 2019

Dakar by Al Rehab

Really quite fantastic as far as perfume oils go. Projects like a beast and lasts forever (over 10 hours). As for the scent, it smells like vintage Drakkar Noir and seems to be packed to the brim with oakmoss. I love layering this when I wear Geo F. Trumper Eucris EDT, for the full dark oakmoss type vibe. The drydown features a lot of lavender while the opening is pure oakmoss and sage. If you've smelled vintage Drakkar Noir, you've smelled this.

20th February, 2019

Geir by Geir Ness

This is a niche fragrance made by the Norweigan perfumer Geir Ness as supposedly representing the spirit of Norway as a country. It is advertised as smelling like "crisp mountain air" and is made of high-quality ingredients. I first smelled this at the Norway pavillion at Epcot in Disneyworld, and was smitten by the fragrance almost immediately. The whole giftshop smells like this, while also being high in air conditioning, so it gives the effect of mountain air. I can't really pinpoint the notes in this that well, except for smelling a green undercurrent, and lots of sweet herbal and floral notes. It gets sweeter over time with something that smells like vanilla to my nose. It does give me the sense of mountain air but also sweet herbs growing in the underbrush. Some people say this is like the niche version of Chanel's Allure Homme Sport - I can't say since I haven't sampled the Chanel. Projection is very good. It projects in the air but in a subtle, non-cloying way. While longevity is fairly good, running at around 3 hours of strong projection and then as a skin scent many more hours after that. Overall, I really love this fragrance and it's one of my favourite scents. I really like pairing it with Pinaud Clubman, if using it after a shave (they are in a similar category of sweet, masculine floral scents). It doesn't really smell like anything else out there, and I will always be nostalgic about it since it reminds me of Epcot.

14th February, 2019

Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven

This an absolutely beautiful green minty fougere fragrance created by the famous French perfumer Francis Kurkidjian. It is blended in a similar way to Kurkidjian's niche aqua fragrances, but smells extremely similar to another favourite of mine - Acqua di Parma Colonia Club (Colonia Club goes in the direction of spearmint with lemon in the drydown, preserving Acqua di Parma's traditional colonia base, while Carven L'eau Intense goes in the direction of spearmint with birch tar and lavender, and a hint of cardamom to sweeten it out). I can't believe this was only around $20 online. It opens with a bright and strong dose of spearmint with citrus fruits, and as it dries down the spearmint note persists along with a green smelling natural lavender note. It is green, fresh, minty, and herbal in nature without being too old-school. Projection is moderate while longevity is fairly great at 4 hours of solid projection and many more hours after that as a skin scent (roughly the same though very slightly less longevity than AdP Colonia Club). Overall I am very impressed by this scent.

05th February, 2019

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is a beautiful amber masterpiece fragrance that smells sophisticated and sweet. The opening is of a dry woody amber scent and reminds me of the now discontinued Tom Ford Amber Absolute. On the drydown it gets sweeter with the vanilla and benzoin. The ingredients smell very high quality and natural. Projection is transparent and not thick or cloying (but it does project pretty well in the winter air) while longevity is amazing, at over 8 hours on my skin (almost as good as MFK's Oud Satin Mood, which is my favourite from the house). Overall this is maybe the best amber fragrance in the market in my opinion.

03rd February, 2019 (last edited: 04th March, 2019)

Eau de Citron Noir by Hermès

This opens with a beautiful natural smelling mix of sour citrus fruits (to my nose, lemon, lime, and citron) along with some sort of salty accord to it. It's like a glass of lemon-lime-citron-ade with some salt added. I don't really smell any smoke (as in for instance Maison Margiela's At the Fireplace, or Amouage's Interlude Man). Maybe my nose is interpreting this 'salt' note as smoke. I quite enjoy the note in any case. It's a very unique and interesting opening for a citrus fragrance. However projection and longevity are both weak so not thrilled by this.

Pacific Lime by Atelier Cologne

This smells like a niche version of Guerlain's Limon Verde (it does not smell like Creed Virgin Island Water at all). It really smells extremely similar to the Guerlain fragrance. The lime note is not really similar to Atelier Cologne's Cedrat Enivrant. It's a far sweeter key lime and in my opinion not as reminiscent of opening a freshly cut lime as in Cedrat Enivrant. The opening is basically tropical key lime-aid with a lot of sugar. As it dries down it kind of smells the same as the opening to my nose. I don't really smell any mint or eucalyptus. Projection is moderate but on the softer side while longevity is fairly good. Honestly Guerlain Limon Verde is the exact same scent for a less expensive price.

Neroli Portofino Forte by Tom Ford

This opens with a slightly greener, deeper, less sweet/more sour, more masculine, and more citric version of the Tom Ford Neroli Portofino/4711 Eau de Cologne scent. As it dries down it smells mainly the same. I don't really smell any leather. Projection is moderate while longevity is only slightly better than the regular Neroli Portofino, like only an hour more. So overall, it's nice but not amazing in my opinion.

Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is a really unique fresh fragrance with a strong and natural accord of lily of the valley being the dominant note in its opening, along with hints of lemon and bergamot. Due to the muguet note, it could be construed as slightly feminine but I enjoy it as a male nonetheless. As it dries down it goes stronger muguet and without any green or aquatic notes to balance it out, so it ends up smelling kind of sour. Projection is moderate but on the strong side, while longevity is fairly good. Not a huge fan of the scent to be honest.

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Don't understand the hype about this fragrance. It smells like bubblegum with smoke or something with it. Way too sweet and cloying. I prefer Grand Soir and especially the wonderful and beautiful Oud Satin Mood to this.

XJ 1861 Renaissance by Xerjoff

Smells like a beastmode version of Hermes Concentree d'Orange Vert. I mean it literally smells identical to my nose. And the projection and longevity are both super strong. So if you really love that scent, you will love this. Me however, I'm ok with it but not a huge fan.

Sun Java White for Men by Franck Olivier

This is a beautiful icy white fragrance by Frank Olivier, and is supposed to be a clone of Creed's Silver Mountain Water. I have had great experience with Frank Olivier in the past - I own their 'Eau de Passion Men' which is a near perfect replica of Chanel Platinum Egoiste for only $25 (and it projects and lasts for a long time as well). Sun Java White is likewise a beautiful creation. In the opening I smell a natural smelling mix of to my nose frozen citrus fruits - including lemon, bergamot, and tangerine - along with blackcurrent and a sort of white musk and mint that makes the whole thing smell 'cold'. It indeed does evoke the sense of an alpine mountain stream. Compared to the other Silver Mountain Water clone, al-Rehab's Silver, this smells far more natural and more similar to the actual Creed fragrance in question (although I enjoy the $5 al-Rehab perfume oil as well). The al-Rehab has a more metallic opening while Sun Java White is softer and has that characteristic musk that all Creed fragrances have (and in particular reminds me a lot of Millisime Imperial along with Silver Mountain Water). I have no clue how they accomplished that in a clone; the drydown in fact smells almost identical to the Creed; props to Frank Olivier. On the drydown, the al-Rehab goes in the direction of tea and aquatic notes, while Sun Java White goes in the direction of blackcurrent and musk (although it does have hints of tea and aquatic notes as well). They do actually smell somewhat similar to my nose on the drydown - Sun Java White is 'brighter' and more natural smelling while al-Rehab Silver is more melancholy and metallic - but the openings are largely different between the two, with Silver being super metallic and similar to Azzaro Chrome and Sun Java White having a natural citrus-dominant opening. Projection is moderate (good for summer weather), while longevity is pretty strong for a fresh fragrance. To compare this fragrance to another one, it smells somewhat like Montale's Aoud Forest but without the rose note - though personaly I prefer the Montale simply due to its more natural and stronger smell (although I love this as well). I think layering the two together would be a great idea. Overall, I really like this fragrance and it's in my opinion one of the best clones of Silver Mountain Water.

31st January, 2019

One Man Show Ruby Edition by Jacques Bogart

Like with other Jacques Bogart fragrances, I find the scent, price, and power of this to be incredible. Only for about $25, this is one of the strongest fragrances I own. It smells to my nose basically of a loud cherry-oud combo with hints of lavender and apple in the background. Don't expect any sort of natural scent though. This is synthetic as it gets, but in a good way (it smells pretty great to my nose). This is also a BEAST of a fragrance. Anything above 2 sprays is overdoing it. Projection is loud while longevity is also strong, with strong projection for hours and hours. It smells kind of like a fruitier, slightly more fresh, "younger" (less mature vibes), and more cherry-intensive version of Bogart pour Homme, replacing the tobacco with oud. I own 3 Bogart fragrances - Bogart pour Homme, Silver Scent Pure, and One Man Show Ruby Edition - each of which I got for $25, and each of which project loudly and last an insanely long time in the cold winter air. They are some of my favourite winter fragrances for this reason.

Egra for Men by Rasasi

This fragrance smells amazingly like a forest. It's a clone of Creed Green Irish Tweed, and is basically 99% similar to my nose (the Creed being $300, and this being only $25). In the opening I smell violet leaf, fir and spruce tree notes, galbanum, and oakmoss. The dominant notes are definitely the leaves here (violet, fir, and spruce). It literally smells like a cold, coniferous forest and is extremely green in scent. The drydown reminds me of Coty's Aspen, in that it's very green and forest-like, but it smells much more natural to the synthetic Aspen. Projection is moderate and it projects for about 4 hours before becoming a skin scent, so while not terrible longevity, it's not the greatest. The bottle is also horrendous and release so little juice each spray. But these issues aside, this is probably the greatest Green Irish Tweed clone for so cheap at $25 (it smells similar to Arma's Tres Nuit as well but Egra is greener and less sweet).

Déclaration by Cartier

I got this as a gift. To my nose it smells mainly of a mix of cumin, bitter orange, black pepper, vetiver, and cardamom. It's a very spicy fragrance and the cumin makes this kind of sophisticated. The opening and drydown are largely the same to my nose. It reminds me a lot of Terre d'Hermes. Khaliji by al-Rehab is apparently a clone of this in oil format, by the way - but with an added rose note in the drydown and less natural smelling compared to Cartier Declaration (with a less realistic and more synthetic cumin note). Projection is moderate while longevity is also moderate, projecting loudly for about 2 hours, and then remaining as a skin scent for many hours after that.

Aoud Forest by Montale

This is an absolutely beautiful mix of to my nose green leaves, seawater, and rose. The dominant notes are seawater and rose along with green leaves to my nose. It is also totally unisex but some may think it leans slightly feminine due to the rose note. But what a rose note it is! It's absolutely stunning and one of the greatest impressions of rose I have ever smelled. It's like a salty rose in the ocean just floating adrift but near an island with long grasses. I don't really get much oud in this but that's ok thanks to the wonderful rose note in this that I'm a huge fan of. I actually tried a number of niche perfumes while on holiday at a niche perfume store in Vancouver, Canada called The Perfume Shoppe, and this one captivated me like no other to the point that I bought it on the spot. Sillage is moderate while longevity is pretty good with 4 hours of solid projection. Overall, this is pretty great.

4.5/5

EDIT: This actually reminds me a lot of Creed Silver Mountain Water and Xerjoff Mefisto, due to its prominent salty rose note and its fresh mountain stream vibe
08th September, 2018 (last edited: 04th February, 2019)

L'Eau Mixte by Nicolaï

This smells of a slightly feminine and very herbal cooling mix of grapefruit, bergamot, cassis leaves, mint (lots of mint), and hints of vetiver. The overall impression is herbal, light, green, citric, and uplifting. Sillage is moderate but subtle while longevity unfortunately is not amazing at only 3 hours of projection. Overall, it's nice but marred by bad longevity.

08th September, 2018

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Review for the EDP in frosted bottle:

This is a very exquisite chypre fragrance that smells like a stronger version of Dior's Eau Sauvage mixed with a bit of Acqua di Parma Colonia. It starts like Eau Sauvage, with strong masculine citrus (lemon mainly) mixed with leather, and dries down with the same scent but an added rose note that's reminiscent of Acqua di Parma Colonia. It's very classy, and lasts a long time - over 6 hours in fact, with moderate projection. It's very nice, and probably a more upscale version of those classic masculine citrus chypres like Dior Eau Sauvage, Capucci pour Homme, Aramis Tuscany, Chanel pour Monsieur, Monsieur de Givenchy etc. Except all those are expensive and don't last that long (but the vintage versions of them do but are even more pricey) while Boucheron pour Homme EDP is less than $100. There's also the EDT version of this but I haven't tried that (EDP is supposedly more complex and longer lasting).

16th August, 2018

Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde by Guerlain

This is really nice and my favourite from the Acqua Allegoria line by Guerlain. It REALLY smells like Creed's Virgin Island Water. In fact the difference is extremely minimal. So yes, it smells of strong lime and coconut with rum in the background to my nose. The lime in this is tart yet sweet, like a key lime, and the lime note surprisingly lasts throughout the fragrance's duration - at least my nose perceives it that way. Longevity is surprisingly good on my skin, going for 3 hours with good projection, and over 6 hours of longevity overall as a skin scent. It leans a bit more feminine than Virgin Island Water (or its clone Gorse by Laboratory Perfumes, which is just as good).

11th August, 2018

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Acqua di Selva is a traditional barbershop fragrance in Italy, and was first released all the way back in 1949. Its scent profile is similar to another Italian barbershop classic known as Pino Silvestre, but Acqua di Selva is colder in feel and less filled with warm aromatic herbs as is the case with Pino Silvestre. As for the scent itself, Acqua di Selva smells like a wet green fougere mix of mainly spearmint, pine needles, basil, and lemon to my nose, with hints of rosemary, vetiver, and clary sage. I also detect the wet bog-like peat accord underlying the entire blend. It basically smells like the essence of a cool pond during the autumn in a pine forest, or perhaps the idealized version of a swamp/bog. I don't get any thyme in this, while Pino Silvestre is thyme-dominant. As far as scents go, I slightly prefer Acqua di Selva since it reminds me of Acqua di Parma's Colonia Club (one of my favourite fragrances), but the sillage/projection on it is subtle as compared to Pino Silvestre where the projection is quite substantial. As for longevity, this barely lasts two hours (while Pino Silvestre lasts over 4 hours on my skin). Overall it's nice but extremely fleeting (but cheap at $20 a bottle), and I will probably end up using this as an after-gym fragrance.

01st August, 2018