Reviews by seeroos.syed

Acqua di Selva by Visconti di Modrone

Acqua di Selva is a traditional barbershop fragrance in Italy, and was first released all the way back in 1949. Its scent profile is similar to another Italian barbershop classic known as Pino Silvestre, but Acqua di Selva is colder in feel and less filled with warm aromatic herbs as is the case with Pino Silvestre. As for the scent itself, Acqua di Selva smells like a wet green fougere mix of mainly spearmint, pine needles, basil, and lemon to my nose, with hints of rosemary, vetiver, and clary sage. I also detect the wet bog-like peat accord underlying the entire blend. It basically smells like the essence of a cool pond during the autumn in a pine forest, or perhaps the idealized version of a swamp/bog. I don't get any thyme in this, while Pino Silvestre is thyme-dominant. As far as scents go, I slightly prefer Acqua di Selva since it reminds me of Acqua di Parma's Colonia Club (one of my favourite fragrances), but the sillage/projection on it is subtle as compared to Pino Silvestre where the projection is quite substantial. As for longevity, this barely lasts two hours (while Pino Silvestre lasts over 4 hours on my skin). Overall it's nice but extremely fleeting (but cheap at $20 a bottle), and I will probably end up using this as an after-gym fragrance.

01st August, 2018

Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland

The fougere genre in mens' fragrances represents those that try to replicate the fresh green aromas of fern leaves in a damp forest. The original fougere fragrance - Houbigant's Fougere Royale - purportedly smelled like this. Unfortunately the modern re-issue of the fragrance by Houbigant isn't really much like that at all, and is more oriental in nature. However two traditional English fragrances exist today that try to recreate the spirit of the original green fougere - Penhaligon's English Fern, and Geo F. Trumper's Wild Fern. The issue with them however is that they lack in the performance department. With that said, Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland is an authentic green fougere fragrance with a noticeable fern note, and is produced with high-quality materials (undisturbed by IFRA limitations) in Ireland itself - in fact I had to order this directly from Ireland. As for the scent, it really smells like what I envision an Irish countryside to smell like. It is lush, rainy, fresh, melancholic yet bright, and incredibly GREEN. It is like smelling the grass and greenery while it's raining. There is also a mild similarity also to Irish Spring soap, but this is made of higher quality ingredients than for example Sung Homme (which is literally an Irish Spring soap fragrance). For the notes, I get green notes, fern, oakmoss, and vetiver. I also get a hint of spearmint in the opening that reminds me of Acqua di Parma's Colonia Club. It is entirely green, and somewhat linear. Projection is good, while longevity is also good, lasting the duration of a workday. Overall, this is a great traditional fougere fragrance.

4.5/5
31st July, 2018 (last edited: 30th July, 2018)

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

This is a gothic and masculine masterpiece. It was created by the traditional English gentlemens' barber house Geo F. Trumper in 1912 as a hair dressing, and was purportedly the hair dressing of choice of James Bond in the novels by Sir Ian Fleming. In the 1980's it was released by the house as a cologne, in eau de toilette strength (notably stronger than their other colognes), and in 2015 as an eau de parfum (albeit in a smaller 50 ml bottle). I am reviewing the 100 ml eau de toilette. Although the hair dressing and cologne don't smell similar apparently (I've never tried the hair dressing), I can totally see this as James Bond's signature scent. It is austere, dark, and hyper-masculine and sort of smells like a niche version of Drakkar Noire - in fact it reminds me of my father who used to wear such oakmoss-heavy masculine fragrances back in the day. The scent would also be totally fitting for the Blade Runner universe as it is deeply traditional smelling yet contemporary and futuristic at the same time, oddly. The scent evokes the rain and stormclouds, and dark, somber tones. It is exactly what I imagine someone wearing in a Tim Burton movie. It is gothic, and as what one person said, "reminds you of crypts, old castles and cobbled stones under gaslight lamps with horse drawn carriages making there way through a rainy dark city". As for the scent itself, it is a dark oakmoss and blackcurrant blend. It is literally packed to the brim with oakmoss and is therefore very green and rainy, with the other major note being blackcurrant, with musk, and a very melancholic lily of the valley in the background. The eau de toilette comes in a beautiful dark ceramic splash bottle that totally represents the scent inside, and has a very good stoppage system for each drop that comes out (though I prefer to keep this in a travel atomizer and spray it). Sillage is strong with a minute amount splashed/sprayed yet oddly subtle at the same time, while longevity is quite good at over 8 hours on my skin. Overall, this is a masterpiece that deserves attention.

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

The fougere genre is a very prominent one in mens' fragrances and actually represents the first time a synthetic aromachemical was used - coumarin, to replicate the scent of tonka beans. 'Fougere' means fern in French and it was thought that if ferns had any scent, they would smell like a mixture of aromatic lavender, oakmoss, and coumarin. Houbigant's Fougere Royale was in fact the first fougere fragrance in history and from which the genre is named. The original formulation of Fougere Royale is nowhere to be found (as it came out over 200 years ago) but fortunately for us, Houbigant released a modern re-issue of the fragrance in 2010. As for the scent, it is an interesting blend of oriental and green fougere notes. To my nose, I detect a very herbal and old-fashioned lavender being the dominant note along with geranium, on a background of green notes, as well as very strong notes of chamomile, tonka beans, cinnamon, and amber that together give the impression of caramel. It smells as if you mixed a traditional fougere with an oriental amber fragrance. I am sure the original Fougere Royale did not smell like this, but I quite enjoy the modern re-issue all the same simply due to its uniqueness in this regard. The overall vibe of the scent I get is a brownish-green (the brown from the amber, and green from the fougere notes). Sillage is moderate while longevity is also quite good at about 8 hours on my skin. It is a well made and quality fragrance.

Forbes Limes Limited Edition by Castle Forbes

(Review for the aftershave balm)

It honestly smells exactly, and I mean exactly like lime essential oils (particularly lime essential oil by NOW Foods brand) but with added ingredients to make it an aftershave balm. The scent only lasts an hour and a half maximum. It is better value to simply buy the essential oil and add a few drops to another aftershave splash (I particularly enjoy it in Pinaud Clubman's Virgin Island Bay Rum, which produces an end-result of a spiced limes with bay rum aroma). Due to the overpriced nature of this balm, I am giving it low marks (even though the aroma is amazing, but identical to run-of-the-mill lime essential oil).

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This fragrance is very nice for summers and smells very citric. Although other people say it smells like a garden, that isn't really the case for me as I smell mainly sweet citruses, particularly a strong and realistic orange note (which makes the whole thing smell similar to Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine in my opinion). I do smell the mango in this, but I think Polo Black has a better take on mango (Polo Black has salted mangos while this has the sweet kind). There is a hint of a sweet fig note in the background as well, along with a very mild hint of green notes. But it isn't green enough to smell like a garden in my opinion. I also don't detect the garden note of carrot much (although maybe I do but haven't been able to detect its aroma). There is a slight aquatic vibe underneath the whole thing as well. Overall it's nice with subtle sillage and ok longevity in the summer, but isn't as green as I'd like and leans a bit feminine.

29th July, 2018

Viking by Creed

This smells honestly like a niche version of Pino Silvestre, with more of a spearmint note in it. The opening is somewhat similar to Acqua di Parma's Colonia Club. It smells like a cold, minty fougere with tons of greenery but also somewhat spicy Italian herbs. Projection is subtle however while longevity is also moderate at about 6 hours. It's nice but Pino Silvestre can be had for $20 with a very similar scent.

28th July, 2018

Red Roses by Jo Malone

Absolutely spectacular fresh dewy wet rose with greenery in the background. This is the greatest rose fragrance, bar none. Of course as a guy I would never wear this, but this is the greatest rose fragrance ever for women. Sillage and longevity are both great.

Accord Oud by Byredo

This is a straight up masterpiece and the best thing to come out from Byredo in my opinion. It doesn't smell like anything else out there (except perhaps Amouage's Jubilation 25). To my nose it smells of a very boozy rum with a strong note of blackberries, and oud in the background along with a hint of leather. It smells masculine, Middle Eastern, boozy, and powerful. Imagine Tom Ford Tuscan Leather but with blueberries instead of rasberries, and added notes of rum and oud. Blackberry is one of my favourite aromas, and this is probably the greatest blackberry fragrance in my opinion. Also it projects like a beast on my skin, while longevity is also strong. Overall it's a really fantastic masculine blackberry and leather fragrance.

Figuier Ardent by Atelier Cologne

This is a really wonderful green slightly citric fig fragrance. It's very green and very fresh. The fig note is there but it's hidden by notes of fig leaf and other green notes. Projection is moderate (on the softer side actually) while longevity is moderate. It's nice but I can't help noticing that Old Navy's Sea Salt & Fig smells similar (but without all the green notes) and has similar projection/longevity but for far less price.

Gold Leather by PK Perfumes

This is my favourite fragrance from Atelier Colognes' heavier fragrance line. To explain the scent, it basically smells to my nose of apple pie with steamed plums and some rum, and a hint of leather in the background. It smells like Byredo's Accord Oud but with plums instead of blackberries, and without the strong oud note. Although I greatly prefer Accord Oud to this, there is something about this that's really appealing to me. It also projects really well on my skin, while longevity is moderate leaning strong. The projection/longevity isn't as good as Accord Oud but is very good for something from Atelier Colognes. Overall, it's a nice cheaper alternative to Accord Oud.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This has a nice sweet boozy amber scent to it, with a hint of sweet tobacco. It's nice but nothing special compared to other amber offerings. In fact I think I prefer Boss Bottled Intense Eau de Parfum to this as well, which interestingly smells similar to Dolce & Gabbana The One but projects and lasts way longer. Projection is moderate while longevity is weak. It's nice, but nothing that great.

Tea Collection : Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone

Very nice. Smells like what it sounds like, of Earl Grey tea and cucumber. It leans slightly feminine in my opinion. Good sillage, and moderate longevity.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Very beautiful scent of salted watermelon with rum and aquatic nuances to my nose. Reminds me of a summer barbeque. Is maybe the quintessential summer scent. However, it smells like a slightly more refined version of Sean John Unforgivable so I don't think this is full-bottle worthy at least for me. Projection is moderate while longevity is also moderate, with good projection for about 4 hours and as a skin scent afterwards. Performance is basically identical to Sean John Unforgivable. Due to this, I think it's a nice fragrance but the Sean John provides the same experience for a far cheaper price.

Mojave Ghost by Byredo

This smells like a niche version of Nautica Voyage with added nasberry note. It's very inoffensive and pleasant to smell, and performs quite well. It basically smells aquatic, clean, and fruity. It leans kind of feminine.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

This is a very beautiful and masculine mix of fresh citruses, neroli, and Italian herbs and spices. It's like a more masculine and refined take on 4711 Eau de Cologne. The original Colonia is my fourth favourite as far as smell goes in the whole Acqua di Parma line (Colonia Club is my favourite, with number 2 going to Colonia Oud, and 3 for Fico di Amalfi). It has a traditional Italian colonia feel to it, and is somewhat like Dior's Eau Sauvage. As for cheap alternatives, Salvatore Farragamo's Acqua Essenziale is somewhat similar but does not capture the full essence of Acqua di Parma Colonia. It is really quite a beautiful fragrance and has a very barbershop feel to it. Sillage is moderate while longevity is actually quite good on my skin, going strong for 4 hours and becoming a skin scent only after 6 hours. The overall feel of the cologne in the drydown is bright, citric, yet warm spicy at the same time interestingly. It has a beautiful scent to it - though I still prefer its flanker Colonia Club a bit more (which has the same Colonia DNA but with added green notes as well as a wonderful spearmint note that is actually cooling to the skin).

Philosykos Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

(Review for Eau de Parfum)

This is a really fantastic green fragrance that smells exactly like an unripe green banana peel. I was quite astonished and amazed at how evocative the scent of this fragrance is to a banana peel (not the banana itself, but the peel). Perhaps fig leaves smell like that? I actually don't get much fig at all in the fragrance. It's just very green smelling. Sillage is moderate (on the ligher side) while longevity is also moderate (nothing special).

Jimmy Choo Man Ice by Jimmy Choo

This smells almost identical to Dior Homme Cologne but mixed with Azzaro Chrome Sport. It has far more grapefruit, as well as salt, and a fresh minty note to it than Dior Homme Cologne, and less of a lemonade (lemons in water with sugar) feel. Sillage is way lighter than Dior Homme Cologne however, while longevity is also way worse at only about 3 hours. Dior Homme Cologne and Azzaro Chrome Sport both perform significantly better, so I'd go with one of them instead (the former for lemonade and the latter for grapefruit with mint).

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Very interesting aromatic blend of lime, basil, and mandarin orange. Mostly it's the lime and basil though. It has very tart citrus (lime with a hint of bitter orange) and is green in character. It oddly reminds me of the aroma I'd expect to smell in a greenhouse. It reminds me a lot of what the Herbology professor in the Harry Potter series would probably smell like, and is unlike any citrus fragrance I've smelled before. Sillage is moderate leaning strong on my skin while longevity is surprisingly good with 4 hours of good projection and many more hours as a skin scent after that. The really nice thing with this fragrance is that the lime not persists well into the drydown, which is unique as far as the lime note is concerned. Basil & Neroli remains my favourite from the Jo Malone line, but this is also pretty good. Also, it kind of resembles Dior's Eau Sauvage but without the leather note, with lime instead of lemon, and with way better longevity/performance. It's a scent that you won't like as much right away but will grow on you for what it does.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Very interesting hyper-bitter basil and greenery scent with a hint of bitter orange. Has a very cool minty quality to itas well. Would be great for summers. It smells very similar to Proraso Azur Lime cologne which is a cheaper alternative to this with lime instead of orange. Sillage is moderate while longevity is pretty good for a fresh fragrance. However it is a bit too bitter for my liking.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

This has a very beautiful masculine citrus-and-leather scent to it that is old-fashioned in a good way and has a barbershop quality to it. However it smells almost identical to Capucci pour Homme which sells for a fraction of the price of Eau Sauvage. In comparison to Capucci pour Homme though, Eau Sauvage does have a more full smell with higher potency in the opening. As for the sillage, it is moderate while longevity is also moderate. In my opinion Capucci pour Homme is basically the same juice for a cheaper price.

Trèfle Pur by Atelier Cologne

Extremely beautiful blend of notes with basil being dominant, that smells like a wet field of grass during the rain. It has a petrichor scent to it. Sillage is moderate while longevity unfortunately isn't that great, becoming a skin scent in about 2 and a half hours. If it weren't for the subpar longevity, I'd say this was one of my favourite fragrances based on the scent. The best fragrance from Atelier Colognes remains Cedrat Enivrant in my opinion.

Costa Azzurra by Tom Ford

This has a very great scent to it, and definitely smells oceanic but also green and herbal at the same time. It smells like a niche version of Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme and is one of my favourite Tom Ford private blends as far as scent goes. Sillage however is only moderate, while longevity is also only moderate so a full bottle of this is not worth it for me, considering how expensive it is.

18th July, 2018

Basil & Neroli by Jo Malone

I smelled a lot of Jo Malone scents at one of their boutiques in Toronto, and this one captivated me right from the beginning like no other from their line. It smells very similar to Bond No. 9's Eau de New York but lacks some of the white florals like jasmine in the drydown, and is a bit darker than the Bond, and also more masculine in my opinion. Surprisingly, it has really amazing longevity for a Jo Malone cologne, projecting really well for over 4 hours and then remaining as a skin scent on me for many, many hours (in fact over 12 hours with 2 sprays for me). As for the scent itself, it is an absolutely amazing mix of neroli flowers (the blossom of an orange tree) and basil, making it smell very green and citric at the same time. It smells like you're walking in a lush dewy meadow surrounded by orange trees. This is an absolute masterpiece by Jo Malone and one of my favourite fragrances ever.

16th July, 2018 (last edited: 17th July, 2018)

Byerley by Parfums de Marly

Smells a lot like Lalique pour Homme Equus. Has a frankly horrible wood note in there that I simply do not care for. One of the only fragrances ever that I had to scrub off.

Gorse by Laboratory Perfumes

This is a beautiful tropical fragrance that smells almost identical to Creed's Virgin Island Water. It mainly smells of coconut with lime and rum, and smells like that basically for the duration of the fragrance. The only difference between this and Virgin Island Water is a hint of the lemon note in Gorse (while Virgin Island Water is pure lime), so Gorse has an opening that smells kind of like 7Up with coconut rum (but the lime note is still dominant, and it smells very natural). Gorse is also slightly sweeter and a bit more gourmand than Virgin Island Water, and the texture of the juice itself resembles an eau de parfum more than an eau de toilette as it's advertised as (it's oily). As for longevity and projection, the sillage on this is moderate while longevity is actually better than Virgin Island Water at around 6 hours. Overall, it's probably the best tropical fragrance ever made in my opinion and is way better than Virgin Island Water (due to better performance with near-identical scent for far less price).

Tahitian Waters by English Laundry

Smells almost identical to Givenchy Gentleman Only, oddly. It's nice and inoffensive and has a very synthetic grapefruit and pepper note to it. Does not really smell tropical at all though to be honest, and I don't get any lime or coconut in it.

Blackberry & Bay by Jo Malone

The blackberry note in this is very beautiful, while the bay leaf note is only in the background. Smells amazing. Sillage is alas soft, while longevity is only moderate. As for fresh blackberry fragrances, Byredo's Accord Oud is a better offering in my opinion.

Silver Scent Pure by Jacques Bogart

Smells exactly, and I mean exactly, like an iced glass of grape soda or a grape freezie. Like all Bogart fragrances, this costs like $20 and is an absolute BEAST, with ultra-strong projection and longevity with a half-spray. Bogart pour Homme smells like Cherry Coke, and this one smells like grape soda. I'm really enjoying this fragrance house.

14th July, 2018

Bentley for Men Intense by Bentley

This is an amazing fragrance and the hype is very real for this one. It's a masculine fragrance with a very strong boozy rum note along with spices and leather in the background. The rum note in this is extremely well done, and the fragrance overall smells like the winter flanker to Guerlain Homme Eau de Parfum (another fragrance I own with a very good rum note, but mixed with lime and mint as in a mojito). Along with the rum, I get strong wafts of bay leaf and dry spices (especially cinnamon and black pepper) as well as a hint of benzoin which sweetens the aroma very slightly. On the drydown, it gets dryer and the leather note becomes more apparent. I think this is a perfect fragrance to pair a good bay rum aftershave with, as it has a very similar aroma to bay rum (surprised no one else picked up on this yet). Sillage is moderate leaning strong while longevity is moderate leaning strong at about 6 hours on my skin. Overall the feel of this fragrance is of sitting in the cargo hold of an old pirate ship with cases of rum and dry spices, and the scent along with the performance makes it a perfect choice for the winter time (but not for summers at all). Wetshavers who enjoy bay rum should have this in their cabinets, especially as it's going for a steal of a price these days.

13th July, 2018