Reviews by seeroos.syed

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

This smells pretty darn amazing. I can't detect individual notes too much but it basically smells of a very oriental amber with frankincense and vanilla, with Middle Eastern vibes and a touch of smoke. It smells very gourmand and has the aroma of a very high-end luxury chocolate dipped in some sort of Middle Eastern sweet. It's very mysterious and dark yet sweet but in an edible way. It kind of reminds me of the idea of standing in a Middle Eastern spice market but beside someone smoking hookah and selling exotic sweets. I also detect something that smells like very authentic and realistic cedarwood (not the synthetic kind). Sillage is beastmode while longevity is also beastmode.

14th June, 2018

Eau de Gaga by Lady Gaga

Although this is produced by Lady Gaga, this is not a feminine fragrance. In fact it's perfectly androgynous; the opening is slightly masculine however while the drydown becomes more feminine over time. As for the scent, it smells surprisingly similar to Banana Republic's Vintage Green - so basically I smell green bergamot, a strong scent of green tea, the scent of fresh green leaves, hints of neroli, and a hint of vetiver leaf. It also smells somewhat like Mugler Cologne for that matter. But the thing that seperates this from those two is that this has hints of the scent of violet leaves. But mainly it's bergamot with green tea (just as in Vintage Green). I don't actually detect much lime in this (even though it's listed as a note); it's more bergamot instead. Projection is moderate while longevity is also moderate. Overall, this is a very enjoyable inexpensive fragrance that would appeal to both men and women.

12th June, 2018

Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

This is an absolutely delightful concoction of extremely boozy truffle. It smells like those chocolates that contain liquor in them. Very masculine leaning as well. I am really in love with this scent! Sillage and longevity are both great on my skin. One of the best boozy fragrances ever made in my opinion.

12th June, 2018

Colonia Intensa Oud Concentrée / Colonia Oud Concentrée by Acqua di Parma

This is one of the greatest oud fragrances ever made in my opinion and will work year-round including summers. It is a fresh take on oud and smells mainly of citruses (mostly bergamot and orange to my nose) along with a sweet Western style oud with leather nuances. It is very fresh and extremely potent, being the best and strongest Acqua di Parma fragrance in my opinion. Sillage is beastmode while longevity is also incredible.

09th June, 2018

Aqua Velva Original Sport by Williams

This aftershave to my knowledge is only offered in Canada. Basically it smells exactly like Irish Spring soap, and is full of oakmoss. It would go really well with Alfred Sung's Sung Homme which is basically Irish Spring eau de toilette. Very enjoyable and has a very nice cooling sensation like in the original Aqua Velva. Great longevity and projection for an aftershave too.

09th June, 2018

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

This is a really masculine citrus aromatic chypre fragrance that evokes the idea of Italy. The opening smells very similar to Dior's Eau Sauvage and has a beautiful mix of lemon, lime, and leather with a hint of oakmoss that just works really well. This is for the hairy-chested man who knows what he wants and works hard for it; that's the sort of vibe I get from it. There is nothing unisex about it. On the drydown it smells similar to the opening with a pleasant limey vibe with the scent of anise, oakmoss, and leather. The drydown reminds me a lot of Azzaro pour Homme (a barbershop masculine fougiere classic). Sillage as with other Aramis fragranves I have tried is moderate yet leaning strong but in an effervescent and airy way, while longevity is actually quite good. So far I own Aramis Havana and Tuscany, and like them both. My experiences with them (along with their really inexpensive pricetags; I found this for $20) make me want to try other Aramis fragrances. I'm really enjoying the offerings by the house.

31st May, 2018

Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

I'll make this short: it's the exact scent of 4711 Eau de Cologne with better longevity. The scent itself is mesmerizing and spectacular (as is the scent of 4711, upon which this is based). But the longevity is only moderate at around 4-5 hours - which is an improvement to 4711 as that only lasts 2 hours if you're lucky, but it's nothing groundbreaking. And it's way overpriced. If you have the cash, then by all means get Neroli Portofino Forte for something better that lasts even longer. But if you don't want to pay that much, Bond No. 9's Eau de New York is just superior to this in every way and for less money. And the best cheap alternative to Neroli Portofino is Ferrari's Bright Neroli. But if you want something more 'green', then go for Mugler Cologne.

However if you really just want the Neroli Portofino scent to last on you for 8 hours and don't want to keep spritzing 4711 Eau de Cologne in a travel atomizer, then listen to my advice and get the perfume oil version of this for $6 from the Kuwaiti perfume oil company "Universal Perfume Oils and Cosmetics" (Google it). It's exactly the same as Neroli Portofino but with better projection and 8 hours longevity. And a 3 ml bottle of the oil should last you ages. You now have knowledge of the best kept secret in perfume buying.

22nd May, 2018

BR78 : Vintage Green by Banana Republic

This is a wonderful fresh green fragrance similar to Creed's Original Vetiver or Mugler Cologne but with added notes of green tea and fig, and with the scent of leaves instead of grass. In fact I also smell something reminiscent of neroli in the opening as in the other two fragrances; this is probably a combination of the mandarin orange and jasmine. Mostly however it basically smells of green leaves. It is a beautifully calming green fragrance altogether, and the opening has a very pleasant green bergamot accord as well. On the drydown I get more of the fig note, so it becomes sweeter overall, but the green leaves accord is still dominant. The fig note in this is not as dominant in a fig-based fragrance like for example Atelier Cologne's Figuer Ardent (though this one smells very similar to Banana Republic Vintage Green) or Acqua di Parma's Fico di Amalfi, but it is still definitely there - and I happen to really like the fig note in fragrances. The fragrance is totally unisex but the sweet fig drydown does make it lean a bit feminine. Sillage is moderate but on the stronger side while longevity incredibly strong at over 12 hours! Overall, the Banana Republic Icon collection presents some really great fragrances that are in my opinion niche-quality at designer prices. This one is the best in the collection in my opinion, followed by Banana Republic's Vetiver Linen. I really love this fragrance as it smells so natural and relaxing (especially with the great fig note) and has amazing longevity on my skin, so I'm giving it a perfect score.

22nd May, 2018

Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza by Acqua di Parma

I was really excited to try this one since I love Mugler Cologne and Creed Original Vetiver and this is touted by some as being in the same genre. The scent, though pleasant enough, was actually worse than Salvatore Farragamo's Acqua Essenziale Colonia as far as barbershop scents go, and worse than Mugler Cologne as far as green neroli fragrances go. And longevity and sillage were not good at all on my skin. So this gets a pass unfortunately. Acqua di Parma's Colonia Oud remains the best fragrance in their collection in my opinion.

21st May, 2018

Aqua Amara by Bulgari

I love the original Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme, which in my opinion is the best marine/aquatic fragrance out there, having the essence of actual seaweed in it. The other flankers I don't like so much compared to the original. However, this one - titled Aqva Amara meaning 'bitter water' in Italian - is fantastic as well, but unfortunately discontinued by Bvlgari apparently. It opens with a bitter dry salty mandarin note with a heavy note of saltwater as in the original Bvlgari Aqva. It's extremely pleasant at least to my nose and smells like an orange sprinkled with salt. As it dries down I basically get heavy neroli (orange blossom) on my skin (and neroli is one of my favourite aromas ever). The neroli note in this is bitter and slightly green in character (in fact I think I detect petitgrain as well - the leaves/twigs of an orange tree). It is similar in a sense to Bond No. 9's Eau de New York (my favourite neroli fragrance ever) but is far more bitter and salty and not as sweet (though Eau de New York isn't sweet to begin with except for the late drydown with indolic white flowers). On the drydown I also get hints of the typical seaweed accord as in the original Bvlgari Aqva. On the late drydown I also get patchouli and a bit of incense. But the great thing about this fragrance is that the orange note lasts throughout the whole time, which is pretty fantastic for a citrus fragrance - though personally, due to the pervasiveness of the neroli note, I would say this is more of a neroli fragrance than an orange citrus one, akin to Ferrari's Bright Neroli but more bitter and aquatic with saltwater and seaweed. Sillage is strong while longevity is also strong, at over 8 hours. The longevity far exceeds the regular Bvlgari Aqva (which lasts about 4-5 hours on my skin) and is one of the strongest for a citrus based cologne, period. Overall this is a wonderful iteration of the orange and neroli note, mixed with an aquatic ambience that is rare (think Terre d'Hermes but with seawater instead of dirt and pepper). Bvlgari never should have discontinued this gem.

20th May, 2018

Champaca by Ormonde Jayne

This has an awesome scent like true to life daffodils. I suppose champaca smells like that. It smells like you're smelling the flower itself. However, sillage is weak while longevity is only moderate. Also, it leans very feminine.

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

This smells very strange. Like an old lady's perfume. Turns out I am not a fan of immortelle at all.

Clubman by Pinaud

This is a classic barbershop cologne/aftershave used by men in barbershops for over a hundred years, especially in North America. It smells basically exactly like lavender-scented talcum powder. In fact, upon smelling this it gave me memories of going to the barber as a child. Maybe they used Pinaud Clubman. The projection is very light (it's more of an aftershave than a cologne) while the longevity isn't bad at about 4 hours. It opens up very alcoholic and provides a deep burn if used after shaving, and smells very clean. To me it's basically very powdery oakmoss and lavender, and smells identical to talcum powder. Overall I really like it just for the nostalgia, but as an aftershave. As for stronger colognes that resemble Clubman and also have the barbershop scent, they are the following (in order of how much I like them from worst to best): Canoe, Azzaro pour Homme, Replica's At the Barber, and Chanel's Platinum Egoiste.

Seher Al Kalemat by Arabian Oud

This is an absolute masterpiece of a Middle Eastern fragrance. It smells basically exclusively of oud to my nose with dark resinous vanilla and amber nuances. The oud in this smells really similar to dark chocolate, and I can't get enough of it. On the drydown I smell hints of amber and vanilla as well but mostly it's still the dark chocolate oud. Projection - as is the case with all good oud fragrances - is of course insanely strong, while longevity is unbelievable at over 12 hours with only 1 spray! The 250 ml bottle of this should last you an entire lifetime in fact. The fragrance is unisex in my opinion. Overall, this is an exceptional Middle Eastern fragrance that smells dark and sweet at the same time, and is totally fitting its name "Sihr al-Kalimat" which means 'magic words' in Arabic.

18th May, 2018 (last edited: 12th June, 2018)

Champs de Provence by Eight & Bob

I'm a huge neroli fan, and this fragrance is simply bad. It smells very nice and similar to Neroli Portofino - for about 3 minutes. Then it smells like some strange rotting orange peel. Didn't like it at all.

Aoud Vanille by Mancera

This is an ok oud scent. It's not groundbreaking or anything special, and the oud in this is so mainstream/Westernized that it seems almost muted. In fact I don't even get any chocolate type aroma that I usually get with ouds. It just smells sort of muted. On the drydown the vanilla starts to become more apparent. But instead of smelling like natural or boozy vanilla as in for example Replica's Jazz Club, this oddly smells almost exactly like the Pakistani ice cream known as kulfi on my skin. It's uncannily similar. Sillage is moderate while longevity is pretty good (but it's no beast). It's a nice scent but not something I would buy a full bottle of to be honest.

Green Leather by Daniel Josier

This is an INCREDIBLE leather fragrance. Daniel Josier's fragrances are pricey compared to your high street designers, but they aren't that pricey when you enter the world of niche. In my opinion they're worth the asking price as he seems to be knocking each one out of the park. This is like the far superior version of Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. What I didn't like about Tuscan Leather is that it's too much leather and not enough rasberry. This fragrance fixes that problem. It has a very pronounced juicy, wet rasberry note along with to my nose rasberry leaf, which together make it smell green (hence the term 'green leather'). This is a green fruity fragrance that isn't too sweet or cloying and is perfect for summers as well. Nabeel's Macho Man attar (a a Tuscan Leather clone that can be bought for $5) is somewhat similar due to the pronounced rasberry note with leather, but Macho Man has more of a chocolatey and warm vibe to it while Daniel Josier's Green Leather is far more fresh. As it dries down, I smell more of the leather but the rasberry still persists. And to be clear, this is not smoky at all like Tuscan Leather, but more of an easy-going fresh fragrance. I think it's in the same family of fresh rasberry fragrances like Creed's Original Santale and Montblanc's Individuel. In fact owning one of those would probably make a purchase of this redundant. Sillage is moderate but leaning strong while longevity is fairly good. Overall, this is a great fragrance which on scent alone I enjoy quite a bit.

Ambre Tabac by Daniel Josier

This is a really nice amber and tobacco scent (hence the name). I also get a really boozy and non-cloying vanilla scent which is really similar to Replica Jazz Club. The sweet tobacco with amber combined make a sort of scent approximation to chocolate mixed with cherry (a note I detect that's not listed in the note breakdown). I didn't think I would enjoy this as much as I do since I'm not usually a heavy winter scent affectionado, but I really like this. It is totally unisex as well. Sillage is strong while longevity is also very strong. This is a nice alternative to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille or Amber Absolute. It just smells really good.

Update: This is one of my favourite fragrances ever. It smells like deep resinous applie pie with cinnamon and root-beer style amber. It's so beautiful and has insane sillage and longevity (more than any fragrance I've ever tried). I just wish it wasn't so pricey...sigh.

17th May, 2018 (last edited: 19th May, 2018)

The Silk Series : Tulip Silk by Gallagher Fragrances

This is unbelievably good. It smells of fresh tulips. And the tulip note here smells fresh, clean, wet, dewy, and oddly reminds me a lot of the petitgrain and neroli notes in Bond No. 9's Eau de New York. Both this and the Bond smell as if you are smelling the flower directly in your face. Sillage is moderate (but on the weaker side) while longevity is actually quite strong. It's also totally unisex in my opinion. Great fragrance.

17th May, 2018 (last edited: 18th May, 2018)

Replica Beach Walk by Martin Margiela

I smelled this fragrance blind without knowing the notes and it smelled exclusively of white flowers to me like jasmine and lily of the valley. I was surprised to see ylang-ylang and coconut listed as the main notes in this. In fact, on my skin I thought a more suitable name for this would be 'white flower bouquet' rather than beach walk. It is very pleasant smelling no doubt and has quite a bit of lasting power (while the sillage is of the light and airy kind), but it leans feminine due to the white floral notes I detect on my skin and doesn't remind me of the beach or ocean at all, like whatsoever. Great composition though if one was searching for a white flower perfume with good lasting power, as I really enjoy the scent.

16th May, 2018

Sicily by Mancera

To my nose: This has a beautiful vibrant citrus and fruit scent that really resembles accurately the scent of both a ripe peach and a freshly sliced mandarin orange. It's very vivid and super bright. Mostly I get the aroma of the orange on my skin though, and this is a very nice bright, juicy, and clean orange scent - not like the dirty orange in Terre d'Hermes. It reminds me a lot of Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine. On drydown I get some added rose and ylang-ylang notes but the orange persists throughout. It leans very feminine, but I wouldn't mind using this as a male. Sillage is moderate while longevity is moderate leaning strong. It's not as strong as Mancera's citrus masterpiece Lemon Line (one of my top 5 fragrances of all time), but it's pretty good nonetheless. Overall this is a beautiful orange feminine fragrance with good lasting power.

16th May, 2018

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

This is the greatest neroli (orange blossom) fragrance ever made in my opinion, hands down, and basically smells like you're smelling an orange tree and the grassy wet field in which it stands during the rain. It's the strongest neroli fragrance ever made, being way stronger than 4711 Eau de Cologne, Ferrari Bright Neroli, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Forte, and Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza. I just feel like I'm in bliss when smelling this, especially as neroli is one of my favourite aromas in the world. This has a very green neroli and petitgrain scent to it that smells like a way more natural version of Mugler Cologne or Creed's Original Vetiver. I can smell the neroli but also the plant upon which it resides, including all the leaves and twigs, and also the grass in which it lives. The whole thing smells 'wet' as well as if it had just rained; it has the petrichor scent to it. It's a wonderful green scent that I'm a gigantic fan of. The neroli itself is extremely natural smelling and of the soapy kind. It's very, very pleasant. On drydown about 6 hours later, I detect the strong scent of white flowers - particularly jasmine and lily of the valley. The entire fragrance is totally unisex in my opinion but some would say is slightly feminine on the late drydown due to the white flowers - but I love white flowers so it doesn't bother me. This is also a beast in terms of performance, with strong projection for over 7 hours and around 10 hours of longevity in total on my skin. However the projection although strong is of the light and airy kind and non-cloying although it lasts for a very long time (very similar to Mugler Cologne) and not strong in the sense of a thick, cloying fragrance or even something like Mancera Lemon Line. This is one that if you wear, people will think you smell good but won't be overpowered by your scent. Overall this is the greatest neroli fragrance ever made in my opinion, and one of the best fragrances period; definitely in my top 5.

15th May, 2018

Replica By the Fireplace by Martin Margiela

This fragrance is an incredibly accurate depiction of roasting marshmallows in a campfire, and is incredibly smoky. You can almost see the smoke emenating from your skin when you wear this. But it's entirely pleasant due to the vanilla-marshmallow accord which sweetens and grows stronger over time while wearing this. I also detect some woodsy notes. On my skin, sillage is moderate leaning strong while longevity is very strong - in fact the strongest out of any in the Replica line of fragrances. The smokiness in the fragrance reminds me of Encre Noire by Lalique somewhat, but that is an earthy, dark forest while this is a very cozy, warm campfire in a forest. If Encre Noire represents Mirkwood forest, then By the Fireplace represents the warm campfires of the wood elves. This is also totally unisex. As a fragrance, this is incredibly unique and is an olfactory experience. Due to its strength and scent, I am giving this a perfect score.

Invictus Aqua by Paco Rabanne

This is really quite fantastic as far as marine/oceanic fragrances go and reminds me both of Bvlgari Aqva pour Homme and Nautica Voyage. I can't really detect individual notes but I do get a very watery violet and violet leaf with a hint of ambergris, and a very dominant marine note that is similar to the one in Nautica Voyage (doesn't smell like saltwater but more like freshwater). Sillage is moderate leaning strong while longevity is strong. I haven't tried the 2016 Invictus Aqua, but even this is pretty fantastic. I've tried a lot of aquatic fragrances (one of my favourite genres) and this is one of the best I've tried. You have to get your nose on this.

Replica Jazz Club by Martin Margiela

This is a really fantastic fragrance that really does smell like what I'd imagine a jazz club smells like. It's basically a strong blend of rum and vanilla to my nose. Some people get a lot of spices out of this but I just get hints of cinnamon and red pepper. I also don't really get much tobacco at all from this fragrance though many people say they get that note prominently. The whole thing together is like a sweeter version of a traditional bay rum fragrance. The opening is very alcoholic with the rum note, and this note I'm happy to say persists throughout the duration of the fragrance. It is very well done in this fragrance and smells like the real thing. In fact the fragrance smells so good it smells like a sweet concoction I'd want to order from a high-end coffeeshop. There is something really addictive with this fragrance, even though I normally do not go for such gourmand-ish or sweet type fragrances. It's definitely a winter scent, but could work in summer nights. To me, even though it's very sweet, it leans slightly masculine. Sillage is moderate while longevity is very strong. Overall, this is a masterpiece from the Replica line that is unique and rare in terms of boozy scents.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Pure gentleman's cologne; slightly citrusy and sweet with a bit of floral and coconut as well as tobacco; very "upper class" type scent and very masculine although sweet; scent transforms throughout the day and is complex; mild-to-moderate sillage and moderate longevity (5 hours).

11th May, 2018

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Creed as a fragrance house isn't very impressive to me since many of their fragrances have just as good or sometimes even better clones, for example Aventus and its clone Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man. And some Creeds are just uninspiring and smell kind of boring to my nose like Millesime Imperial and Erolfa. Others just have really great alternatives at a way cheaper price like Mugler Cologne is to Creed's Original Vetiver or Montblanc Individuel is to Creed's Original Santal. However Virgin Island Water stands apart from the crowd in that it is a Creed fragrance perhaps worth owning. I own and love Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts but it is totally different from Virgin Island Water as the former has tequila and lime and an agave, palm leaf, and guava juice drydown which eventually becomes vanilla and white musk. Virgin Island Water however starts off with coconut and lime and dries down into white rum, cane sugar, and coconut. The lime and coconut in this I might add are both extremely superb and the greatest iterations of lime and coconut I've ever smelled in any fragrance - and I'm a huge lime affectionado, having tried and owned many lime colognes. There is really nothing else like it on the market except perhaps Bath and Body Works' Coconut Lime Breeze or Coconut Lime Verbana. But both of them have horrible longevity and sillage while the Creed is a beast, which is part of its charm. Also it's totally unisex. It really smells like a pina colada on your body. Overall I think this is the greatest fragrance ever made by Creed (followed by Original Vetiver).

Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès

This opens with an extremely natural smelling aroma of to my nose grapefruit and cardamom. The grapefruit and cardamom are both extremely accurate. In fact the grapefruit in this is probably more accurate than Atelier Cologne's Pomelo Paradis while the cardamom is more true to life than YSL's Le Nuit de L'Homme. I understand the fruit in reality in this is bigarade rather than grapefruit, but it smells like grapefruit to me and I've never smelled or tried bigarade in reality. There is also a hint of orange. The whole opening reminds me of citrus tea with cardamom. This is definitely more fresh than regular Terre d'Hermes. On drydown, it basically persists in this fashion - grapefruit and cardamom, but the grapefruit gets progressively fainter. It has hints of vetiver and pepper but they are really muted compared to the original, and mostly replaced with a sort of watery accord. On drydown it somewhat is reminiscent of original Terre d'Hermes EDT though. Longevity and sillage are both moderate but more on the airy/soft side. Overall this is a very nice fragrance but in my opinion does not beat the original Terre d'Hermes.

Terre d'Hermès Parfum by Hermès

This is superior to Terre d'Hermes EDT. It is far smoother with more orange in the opening. On drydown it has the same vetiver, orange, and pepper as the regular Terre d'Hermes, but with more of the orange persisting well into the drydown. Sillage is moderate but weaker than Terre d'Hermes EDT while longevity is way better than Terre d'Hermes EDT at moderate but leaning strong (especially since the pure parfum version has less Iso-e-Super, a note that I'm anosmic to). Overall this is the best iteration of Terre d'Herme's 'dirty orange' (orange with vetiver and pepper) scent. However in my honest opinion D.R. Harris Windsor cologne is a superior fragrance to both this and Terre d'Hermes EDT due to having more pepper and leather in it, after having smelled both. I wonder how Yardley Citrus and Wood will hold up; still have to smell that. Overall if one is dead-set on buying Terre d'Hermes though, it should be the parfum version in my opinion.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Smelled this and right from the get-go didn't like it. It's a very earthy and old-school vetiver, and usually those things should make me happy but I just didn't like it at all. I love vetiver fragrances, earthy fragrances, and old-school fragrances. I just didn't love this. I know so many superior fragrances to this including Encre Noire, Creed's Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne, Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, Carven's Le Vetiver, and so on. It's a pass from me.