Reviews by mwx1010

Silvan by Rouge Bunny Rouge

Disappointing.

This opens with a blast of grapefruit and juniper overlaying a light smoke which works very well.

And then it vanishes - totally. More or less a skin scent within 10 minutes. I wanted to like this but the duration is a dealbreaker.
03rd March, 2019

A City On Fire by Imaginary Authors

Not wild about this one (and I say that as someone who likes smoke in perfume).

Slightly one dimensional with a sweetness that I found a little unpleasant. It's not terrible, but there's better out there in this style.
03rd March, 2019

Replica By the Fireplace by Martin Margiela

This isn't bad. The vanilla / chestnut combination is reminiscent of Fat Electrician with the vetiver replaced with a light smoke. Nice for autumn / winter but possibly a little on the feminine side of unisex for me.
19th February, 2019

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

Nice interpretation of the classic cologne structure - it's a very clean smelling scent, reminiscent of Mugler Cologne but clearly a little more expensive.

Surprisingly good longevity for me but given the price point there are more attractive alternatives.
11th August, 2018

Costa Azzurra by Tom Ford

Gorgeous drift-woody oceanic opening which unfortunately dries down all too quickly into a generic (but very pleasant) modern wood.
06th August, 2018

Gucci Guilty Absolute pour Homme by Gucci

Smells like drinking a whisky and coke in a burning fetish-hospital.

On my skin I get the band-aid note loud and clear which then dries down into a scorched boozy leather.

It's definitely interesting, and I'm somewhat blown away that this is being put out as a designer fragrance, but it's not really for me.
06th August, 2018

Erolfa by Creed

Salty, lemony, melony woody thing in a very nineties style.

It's totally inoffensive but (on me at least) a skin scent within about 10 minutes and totally gone within a couple of hours.

Sel Marin does the salty marine notes so much better.
04th August, 2018

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Such a shame.

This smells beautiful - as often commented a holographic green orange tree smell, however on me this dries down to a skin scent and then vanishes altogether in less than 20 minutes.
31st July, 2018

Tacit by Aesop

A nice summery vetiver. There's a citrus open which I find fairly fleeting and then a move through a crisp green phase (the notes say basil but I don't get that specifically) and then a grassy vetiver dry-down.

Very little sillage / projection but a nice vetiver freshy for the summer months.
13th July, 2018

Bois d'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir

This is lovely.

I don’t get the leather / tobacco that other reviews mention - on me this is just a relatively linear smoke. That said, it’s a lovely smoke - campfire rather than fireplace and not all acrid.

Good longevity - over time a sweet, powdery soapy note emerges which slides the overall impression over to an incense.

Tested in high summer - it’d be interesting to see how this works in colder weather.
10th June, 2018

Nobil Homo : Venetian Blue by The Merchant of Venice

This is gorgeous - a perfect weight summer cologne with a citrus / birch-y combination and an undertone of green apple and moss.

Not a projection monster but decent longevity.

More than anything else this smells very "Italian" - a sort of imaginary offspring of Acqua di Parma Colonia and Aventus.
15th May, 2018

Fathom V by Beaufort London

This is an interesting one which left me slightly disappointed.

It opens with a mass of green notes - so much going on it's almost dissonant, but it just about manages to stay coherent. This plus an underlying sea / salt spine and you're dealing with something rather wonderful.

Unfortunately about 20 minutes in that all starts to move into the background and the overwhelming impression is of lily. Lots of lily, almost that overpowering heady rush you get going into a florists. Over time the lily falls away leaving the sea / salt and an underlying woodiness in the dry down.

It's definitely clever and a bit weird. It's skirting the feminine edge of unisex but it would be wearable for a man, particularly in hot weather. For me though I think the lily is a little too much.

One for another wear as it needs further exploration.
13th May, 2018