Reviews by xaml

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

It took me quite a while to try this one. Neither because of its popularity nor because of its supposed controversy. I did not have that much of a focus on fragrances at the time that it launched. I tried it during a few full wearings, after having tried it from sample strips twice during the previous months. I did initially notice what is referred to as bubblegum and not only dit it not bother me, I liked it for being unusual in a refreshing way and I would have appreciated it to be incorporated deeper into its composition. There were certain associations which crossed my mind, of the blood orange element in "Code" by Armani and in the male version of "Fan" by Fendi as well as the gold element in the female version which I know from samples and which I actually kind of like. I have to say that the fragrance is neither unbearably sweet nor pretentious to me. There seems to be a certain resistance towards sweeter fragrances marketed towards men, assumably because they could be mistaken for fragrances marketed towards women and or because they would represent a threat to the inane notion that sweet and sensual fragrances are for women. In addition, the provocative name and bottle probably have contributed to it. The spray itself is good but impractical to hold and use. That there are at least three other versions available is impractical and less would have been more in this regard. This is a rather dense fragrance and it may not have an obvious complexity, it does however seem well made and it does have the ability to embrace and to make one feel comfortable and welcome. And if you think about it, this might in itself be an intricacy of sorts. After some time has passed now and after having overapplied the fragrance in some instances, my conclusion remains the same. It is not the profane fragrance that some make it out to be, however I notice now that, behind its peeling cover of gold if you will, its relative linearity and a shade of sourness may become an issue for me. This is an issue which reaches far beyond this fragrance, as more complex fragrances must remain affordable instead of continuing to raise towards the sole reach of absurdity.
23rd December, 2018 (last edited: 22nd March, 2019)

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

Here, you are in for an adventure. Are you ready? Focus on the purple and the bright green colour on and within the package for a moment. It may give you an impression of what is about to follow, but you might already get that, albeit somehow distorted, by simply opening the box with the bottle left untouched. My oh my! Imagine an elephant chewing on a chewing gum, or better, a chewing gum chewing on an elephant. The chewing gum has no teeth, so no worries about the elephant. However, does it really not have teeth? I think that this might be up for debate. Also, why am I reminded of a certain ultraviolet fragrance, albeit this one here being less sparkly and way thicker? Is it not interesting how other questions, like why the cap was not made out of metal so that it could somehow be turned into a necklace, somehow fade in comparison? In the mean time, let me have a few of these spiced peanuts to gather my thoughts on whether I would agree on it being suitable, I mean practically and not categorically, for both women and men. Indeed, I will have a milky masala chai with that. Thank you!
25th August, 2018

L'Homme Idéal Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Intrigued by some of the reactions that this fragrance has evoked, comparable perhaps to a certain striped torso and a gold bar, both of which I find rather harmless considering some of the reactions they seem to evoke, I decided to smell it myself for the first time. In a somewhat uptight fragrance section of a shop with a history which may be reaching back comparatively afar as this perfume house. I have understanding for initial reactions wherein the scent comes across as pretentious. My first reaction literally was to shake my head. However, this association should apply primarily to the person, the character of the person who is wearing it. There I am in the store still, in another section, and I notice something. I must have sprayed a bit onto one of my fingers as I noticed that the scent has been following me. This may have been accidental, but it allowed me to better get to know the scent. I believe that this fragrance, perhaps because of its name, might be interpreted in ways which may not have been not intended. If you look closely, a somewhat hidden message is included on the box, stating that the ideal man does not exist. I would think that this indirectly means that this fragrance is what one makes of it. I imagined chunks of crystallised maple syrup being placed on a hot frying pan, with a little bit of an aromatic oil such as argan or sesame added. This imagination is then being deglazed with perhaps a concentrated herbal tea. In hindsight, said maple chunks may be in a frozen state. I am intrigued by it for being rather weighty and dense and yet also refreshingly sparkly. A fragrance which happens to convey a certain abstraction to me and this is something that I really like. I have to add that I have been testing the fragrance over the course of the past two to three weeks, even going as far as layering both main concentrations in order to try and recreate the initial experience that I describe here, where I sampled both as well and where I may have, at least partly, accidentally layered both. However, I may have overdone this so I may now have a better understanding for those who do not like it. Interestingly also, the frequently mentioned cherry element has appeared over time and I will have to see but there might be relevance to this because I do not particularly like their synthesised smell.
10th August, 2018 (last edited: 23rd December, 2018)