Reviews by justfoxie

Oud de Nil by Penhaligon's

This is a floral oud for people who don’t like oud. Quite a light, bright floral and the oud note is more of the hay variety. Well balanced and very wearable. I tend to prefer something a bit more husky so won’t buy a larger bottle (I got this as a set of 15 ml mini bottles), but it’s nice to have while I do.
15th February, 2020

Ambrette 9 by Le Labo

Perfectly nice fragrance. Light with a very pronounced pear notes supported by white florals and warmish musks. Would be great in summer. I’m glad I tried it but I prefer something with more of a twist.
12th February, 2020

Sangre Dulce by Strangers Parfumerie

This is not a scent for the timid or those for whom "animalic" is a turn-off. I'm not a fan of gourmands and almost passed my sample of this over to a friend who is, but I tried it on a whim and wow! This is what happens when you take Mugler's Angel, throw an exquisitely beautiful silk floral scarf around her neck and plonk her in a leather booth in your favourite dive bar. Animalic gourmand to perfection.
23rd December, 2019

Paithani by Penhaligon's

This has turned into my winter go-to scent. It's a creamy peppery oriental that is both very sexy and very comforting.
21st November, 2019

Shermine by Huitième Art

I don't usually go in for sheer musks, but this one delighted me and has become my go-to skin scent for winter. Like most in it's class, it's understated and sits quite close, but I love the way the layers develop over the course of the day starting with a lemony pepper over a soft cashmere which evolves into a lavender iris root accord with a subtle weaving of cardamom smoke that finally settles into a soft woody musk with the tiniest touch of cola sweetness. It's gentle, it's soft, but it's also surprisingly interesting. Bought a full bottle.
13th November, 2019

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Surprisingly lovely! The burst of pepper with the soft rounded cushion of the oak, but still quite sheer. Shame it seems to be difficult to get a hold of at a decent price.
25th October, 2019

Charlie Red by Revlon

This was one of my first ever "adult" perfume purchases in the late 1990s. I found it recently again in a shop and tried it again for nostalgia's sake. . .and was pleasantly surprised. It is well balanced floral with an amber-honey base accord. A perfectly pleasant, casual scent. Not sure it has a place in my wardrobe now, but I'm glad it's out there. Would suit someone who is looking for an inexpensive floral that can go with just about anything.
16th August, 2019

Summer 19 by Ffern

My initial expectations of this perfume was "something to wear in summer" and when I first applied it, found it rather too heavy for that. After quite a few wears, this has settled into "something evocative of summer" and I've found myself wearing it on rainy, summer days when I'm craving sunshine and holidays. It's very warm in the sense of sunbaked earth, dusty olive trees, and a rich undertone of honey left on the windowsill.

It's not quite the instant hit that their Spring 2019 fragrance was, but a very competent, beautifully crafted, subtle thing.
01st August, 2019

Cologne Grand Luxe by Fragonard

Ignore the gender designation on this one - very classic eau de cologne that can be worn by anyone. Light and fresh. Perfect for warm summer days when you want a bit of class. The touch of lavender gives the otherwise spritzy citrus a nice rounded herbaceousness.
31st July, 2019

Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors

Strawberries and cream in a pine forest by the sea. Such a unique fragrance - it's rare to find something simultaneously so rich and yet so light and supremely playful.
03rd July, 2019

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

A perfectly pleasant but not particularly challenging or complex scent. Similar to other reviewers I get a slight soapiness to the orange and the florals are quite muted. A very safe, unobtrusive scent to wear.
06th June, 2019

Spring 19 by Ffern

Yay! I'm so glad this was added to the directory. I took a big risk and bought this blind, but it has turned into my "go to" scent for spring this year.

The initial scent is very peppery and electric green. As it dries I start to smell more and more petitgrain, bergamot with something quite soft and velvety underneath with a hint of herbaceousness - not quite a lavender or rosemary or a cedar but in that vein. It lasts several hours with good sillage and the end notes are more wheat/alfalfa with a mandarin rind and peppercorns. Simultaneously a unique but still very wearable scent.
02nd May, 2019

Sorong 20.1 by Pierre Guillaume

I've received two samples of this from Bloom Perfumerie in London, and it's quite a subtle, changeling thing, which I've been enjoying wearing quite a lot. Super glad it's finally in the directory.

On first spray it's fruit (blackcurrant, citrus) and sweet rose (even though rose isn't listed!) with hint of something peppery or gingery. As it dries, I get a touch of what I would have called "raw vanilla" but looking at ingredients this must be the tonka along with the saffron and lingering citrus. At the very end you get more woody bits with lingering saffron.

A beautiful perfume and one that I find myself smiling a lot when I wear.
17th April, 2019

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

This turned much more sweet than leather on my skin. There's an initial puff of smoke (like walking through a cloud of incense) along with a quite tangy citrus. It dries down quite quickly to honey and vanilla with just the slightest hint of leather. Rare for something so intensely sweet to not also go sour on my skin, so that's novel. I was glad to try it and should I ever want to delve more into sweeter fragrances, I'll come back to this.
05th April, 2019

Cologne Grand Siècle 07 by Parfumerie Generale

This is not for me at all sadly, though I love some of the other scents by this perfumer. I get virtually none of the spiciness, just a burst of sweet lemon (think lemoncello) that dries into a powdery sweet generic floral. One of the few scents I washed off after a couple of hours.
05th April, 2019