Reviews by h0minid

Replica Music Festival by Martin Margiela

Right out of the gate with this one I get a blast of apple, followed by the cannabis accord, which to my nose smells smokey, a bit sweet, and also smells reminiscent of some other aromatic green herbs. I find it to be an interesting note, and one of my all time favorite's (Black Afgano) uses the note as well, although to much greater effect.

As it starts to dry down, the apple moves to the background and is replaced by a hint of pipe tobacco, burning incense, and patchouli. However, to my nose, the cannabis is still the main player here. Later, Cypress comes in to play, which along with the Cannabis makes this fragrance quite green to my nose. I also detect some brown suede in the background which adds a nice base to the scent. However, I didn't see Leather listed as a note on the MM website, so perhaps my nose is playing tricks on me.

The performance on this one is average for me. The sillage isn't really all that strong (although perhaps that's a good thing *wink wink*); the scent lasts about 6 hours on my skin.

Overall, I actually really enjoyed this one. I'm not sure if it actually smells like Woodstock, and frankly, I don't really care as it smells quite nice. However, I still think this one is more of a novelty than anything else; I'm not really sure how often I would wear this (if at all) if I owned a bottle. While it smells good, I would prefer to smell this one via a candle rather than via perfume.
13th December, 2018

Bat by Zoologist Perfumes

This one opens on me with a strong scent of fruit (mostly banana) and damp soil, i.e., potting soil. It sounds strange, but it actually smells okay to me. During the drydown I also get a little bit of smokiness from the resins along with a touch of leather, but to my nose, they aren't that prominent.

Therein lies the problem for me with Bat, while the soil + banana scent is initially novel and interesting, on me, the scent never really develops to anything beyond that and it becomes quite cloying.

As I mentioned previously, I do occasionally get a little whiff of smoke (and leather) and these two accords combined with the soil + banana actually smell quite nice, but they don't stick around long enough for the scent to remain interesting for me. I think if you are lucky enough to have skin that can really let the leather and smoke shine through along with the other accords, then this would probably be a solid summer night out scent. Unfortunately for me, it is just a bit too linear once the initial novelty wears off.

The performance on this one is solid. I get about 2 hours of average projection before it settles down to skin scent territory. After that the scent lasts on my skin for about 8-10 hours, give or take. In conclusion, I think this is one that is definitely worth testing, as you might be lucky enough to get the full package instead of just the banana + top soil scent that my skin brought out.

Edit: I wore this one again last night and the overripe banana + damn earth accords just become revolting after a while; it actually made me feel sick. I can handle that scent in small doses, but 10 hours of damp earth with a bit of banana is much too long. My conclusion is that this one is not only a bit simple/linear (after 30 minutes all I can smell are top soil and rotten banana, and who honestly wants to smell like that?), but it is also quite unpleasant. It's worth sampling I suppose if you are so desperate to be different that you don't mind smelling extremely unpleasant, otherwise, I prefer others from this house.
12th December, 2018 (last edited: 14th December, 2018)

Camel by Zoologist Perfumes

The opening on this one is really fantastic to me. It starts off with a blast of sweet fruits and smokey incense mixed with a little bit of rose and cinnamon, amazing. I can also detect some woods and amber as well, which makes for a really warm and complex scent. It is definitely one of the better openings that I've had the pleasure of smelling in some time.

However, about 30 minutes in all of that fades away to a pretty simple drydown of musk, vanilla, tonka bean and civet. This doesn't smell bad, but it does feel a bit muted despite providing a nice warm, fuzzy feel. This brings me to my next point, which is that, on me, this does not perform all that well.

The fantastic opening only lasted about 30 minutes. I got about an hour of average projection before the scent reached "skin scent" territory. Following that, the scent lasted on my skin for maybe 5-6 hours total.

Overall, I do definitely think that this is one that is worth testing out. I just wish that the complex opening lasted a little bit longer and that the performance in general was a little bit stronger. This is one that I definitely find intriguing and will continue to test.
11th December, 2018 (last edited: 16th December, 2018)

Duro by Nasomatto

This is one that for me does not live up to the hype, at all. I can't figure out why, but to my nose it smells a lot like Brut, the classic aftershave. Perhaps it is because of some of the synthetics used in Duro? I'm not really sure, but I would be interested in hearing theories or hearing whether anyone else has had a similar experience.

Aside from the Brut similarities, what I do get is a really strong patchouli note and some woods as well. I can't really detect any leather, tobacco, or booze.

Unfortunately, this is one that I just don't really get. Maybe my nose is faulty, but when you consider the $185 price tag attached to this one (in addition to the mediocre scent), I just can't recommend this one at all. I do wish I was able to smell what other people were smelling as there seems to be quite a bit of hype surrounding this one.
04th December, 2018

Russian Leather by Memo

I enjoyed this scent. Despite the name "Russian Leather" I found this one to be much more similar to the many "barbershop" scents on the market as opposed to the many "Leather" or more particularly, "Russian Leather" scents out there.

It is described by Memo as an "icy fougere" or something in that vein, which is an apt description. However, I found this one to be quite similar to Maison Margiela's Replica At the Barber's. To my nose they both even have a prominent Basil note and a feint leather accord in the background.

My conclusion is that this one, despite smelling quite nice, is not at all worth the price of admission considering you can get something nearly identical for less than half the price. This one does have a really, really cool bottle though.
04th December, 2018