Reviews by RogerJr17

Luna Rossa by Prada

The very first fragrance I ever purchased by Prada and I this was the one that ultimately influenced me to purchase Prada L'Homme. I haven't been let down on either purchase. I smelled this at Dillard's one day and I loved it. If you can utilize the note of Lavender well, you've got me hooked. I sniffed it and was immediately at the checkout counter asking for it. I got into my car, tore the box open, and sprayed like 3 sprays on me. Here's my take on it:

The Scent: When I first spray it on, I'm hit with citrus but that quickly fades away to introduce the star of the show - Lavender. This fragrance is all about the Lavender. That's primarily what you'll get throughout the life of the fragrance. It is very linear, meaning it does not change much at all. I get a little bit of the mint, but it does not last long. It's a lavender/amber vibe. Overall, I like what they did with the scent. Great work.
Rating: 8/10

Projection: Luna Rossa is not a loud fragrance. It does project, but it's not up there with the likes of Nasomatto, Profumum Roma, or Montale. If I had to grade it, I would give it a B+. Better than average.
Rating: 6/10

Longevity: 6-8 hours. I've had a couple of wearings that it's lasted about 9 hours but that was the best I've gotten from it. I have found that it lasts longer in the warmer months. Looking at the note breakdown, I can see how it would be more effective in the warmer months. 6-8 hours is what you would come to expect from a designer fragrance.
Rating: 8/10

Versatility: This stuff is versatile. I have worn it to work, casual, on a date, to basketball games, and to the gym. It is a very non-offensive scent that works just about anywhere you can imagine.
Rating: 10/10

Final Rating: 8/10. Prada Luna Rossa is a good designer scent. I'd argue and say it's one of the best releases in the past 3-5 years. Luna Rossa probably won't be reached for as much, especially with everyone talking about L'Homme. With so many flankers to Luna Rossa out there, I would suggest if someone is new to the fragrance world, I would recommend smelling Luna Rossa before smelling the flankers. Definitely give it a try and let me know how it works for you!
08th January, 2019

A*Men Pure Havane by Thierry Mugler

I used to own this a while ago. When I first bought it, I thought it was a great flanker to the original A*Men. I own the original A*Men, and Pure Malt. I was ready to give this one higher marks than Pure Malt after testing it a little bit. One day though, all of that changed. It went from one of the best designers I had to one of the strongest, most annoying, couldn't-wait-to-scrub-it-off-my-skin scents I owned.

Scent: It opens up with a huge blast of tobacco. It's not in the note breakdown on here, but I smelled cherry. Quite a bit. Looking back on all of the times I've worn it, almost positive it's the tobacco that was the culprit there. For some reason, and I noticed this like last year, me and tobacco fragrances (especially if they're "loud") typically have a hard time getting along. Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford is pretty close to that mark, but the only thing that saved it for me was the Vanilla. In this one, there's nothing saving it. It was a disaster in every sense of the word. I tried giving the dry down a chance but that tobacco had ruined it for me. I wound up giving it to my cousin as a gift.
Rating: 3/10

Projection: This thing was strong on me. Too strong. It was on par with the original A*Men (10+ hours). I have had to scrub it off on multiple occasions so I could wear something else. As far as performance, this thing delivered in this category.
Rating: 10/10

Versatility: Winter and Fall scent definitely. If I wore this in the Summer, I'd get sick. I already know how that story ends and it's not good. It can be used on a night out with friends or a date. I have found, however, that most women I've went out with did not like Pure Havane. I went very light on sprays too because I know how it performs, but sadly, that didn't help. Most women that I've met and dated, prefer the fresh stuff (Acqua di Gio (original or flanker), Bleu de Chanel, Sauvage, etc.). I wouldn't say this is a good one to wear to class unless you sit in the back or something (even though that might not help because this thing projects). In my opinion, it's not a good work scent either. Most places are very particular about not offending people with perfumes so that disqualifies Pure Havane automatically.
Rating: 5/10

Overall Rating: 6/10. It's alright. It's different than your typical designer fragrance so it has some uniqueness to it. It performs and that's always a plus. You want your scents to last. Overall, Pure Havane is alright. I would recommend other tobacco scents over this one honestly.
03rd January, 2019

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Oh man where to begin?! One of the first fragrances I have ever owned. I got it as a gift from my father (R.I.P.) when I was like 15/16 years old. Back then, I really didn't care about fragrances, how to wear them, or even how they smelled. I just sprayed it on and out the door I went.

Fast forward quite a few years later, and I'm still rocking it. I don't grab for it as much as I do several others in my collection, but I still reach for it. Mainly casual usage.

For those that are new to it or have never sniffed it, here's my take on it:

Scent: The first spray really takes me back as I spray it on my skin. To a time where I didn't pay bills, haha. I have to say, spraying it now, it's undeniably a old school designer scent. I can get that vibe from it. The initial spray consists of that synthetic melon and cucumber combination. Polo Blue is very linear on me. It doesn't change much at all. Even when it eventually dries down, I still get that melon/cucumber combo, plus the musk. The musk, in my opinion, is what carries this scent. There are a ton of notes in the breakdown and I don't get that many to be honest. It does last about 6-8 hours on me before it's gone.
Rating: 8/10

Projection: This one is not going to score high in the projection department. It's a solid 3/5 stars in my opinion (or a 6/10 if you're using the numerical rating scale). For what the scent tries to achieve, I'd say the projection is right where it needs to be - in the middle. Polo Blue is a very casual scent. It's not meant to be "loud" or "in your face." After the first hour or two, it tones down quickly to a skin scent. If you're just relaxing or at work, the last thing you're going to do is spray on something like Jubilation XXV. You'll either annoy everyone around you or annoy yourself. Polo Blue sits in that happy medium. As a result though, if we're doing this by the "if it's less than 8 hours it takes a hit" rule, then it's going to lose some points here.
Rating: 6/10

Versatility: I wear this stuff anytime, anywhere. I don't care which season. I will say, however, that this scent performs BEST in the spring/summer (primarily summer). It is such a versatile scent. Casual, office, home, date, night out, you name it. High marks here.
Rating: 10/10

Longevity: Like I said in the scent section, it lasts 6-8 hours and then it's gone. Pretty straightforward.
Rating: 7/10
29th December, 2018 (last edited: 01st January, 2019)

Polo Blue Eau de Parfum by Ralph Lauren

I have the original Polo Blue in my collection and it is constantly in my rotation. I've worn that stuff since I was in high school (I'm dating myself a bit here but that's okay).

I got a sample of the EDP and I like it. A lot actually. It takes one of my older favorites and gives it more kick, more depth, and makes it a little bit more contemporary.

Comparing the notes side by side, you'd swear that the original has this one beat by a mile. The EDP went more simplistic at a glance. The EDT has far more notes, but honestly, you don't get THAT much out of the EDT.

I've almost used my sample up and I'm debating on getting a full bottle. If you own the original Polo Blue, I wouldn't spring for a bottle. The scent isn't a huge departure from the original and I don't see the point in having two of the same fragrance sit on your shelf/desk/wherever you store your fragrances. It's good though. I'll give credit where it's due.
29th December, 2018