Reviews by tinfoilhatdude

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

If it would've lasted longer I would give it a Neutral rating, but for the price, Colonia is at the very bottom of my buy list.

My wife said I smell like Campho-Phenique, so a clear Neutral rating at best even though I actually like the opening blend.
07th July, 2019

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Too heavy and earthy for me, not sure why this gets so many recommendations for summer. I live in the swamps of SE Texas and this is far too heavy for this area.

Dries down to a very earthy "B.O." type vetiver, definitely not for me. Maybe my chemistry just doesn't jive with this, I'll take the EDP any time over this mess.

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Thumbs down for the femininity of the high end soap smell. Mugler's high end soap smell is much more accessible for me.

If high end feminine soap is your gig, you'll love this one.

Havana by Aramis

I imagine this is what someone from Cuba smells like, sitting in a 1950's Chevrolet with the top down under a string of glass Christmas lights, smoke billowing from an open air meat market in the hot sun.

But it smells cheap to me, and from the many reviews I've read smells nothing like what I was expecting.

This one is definitely not for me, and the vintage decant is already down the road.

Ambre Doré by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Masculine is a misnomer, this is very feminine. Overly powdery intro that lasts for a good hour, then slighly mellows & sweetens out.

Glad I tested this one at home, late in the evening. I would've scrubbed this one off in a shower if it wasn't so late.

Blu Mediterraneo : Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

The reasons I didn't vote negative:
-It fades quickly
-It doesn't travel far
-Quality ingredients were used
-It's not unpleasant

Dries down to a very feminine, powdery sweetness. The rest of this sample will head out with my next swap. Should vote negative for the branding of "Blue Mediterranean", as this clearly does not invoke thoughts of that area...
30th June, 2019

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

This should really be called Vetiver 22, as the Bergamot only lasts for 30-45 minutes. After that, strictly vetiver.

This really has about the best citrus opening I've experienced, outside of DH Cologne 2007, which is what keeps it from a thumbs down. The middle transitions nicely and shines as well. But the base is all vetiver, at least with my body chemistry. Glad I didn't make a purchase.
23rd June, 2019

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Speaking on the vintage formulation, this is a very complex fragrance with wonderful transitions. If you keep it to 1 spray, maybe 2, the drydown is amazing.

This instantly cheers my wife up, regardless of her current mood. I don't think there is a better "bedroom" scent out there, at least for her nose.

I'd be cautious to purchase any of the newer formulations, so I'm glad I'm stocked with enough vintage to last more than a lifetime...

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Wore this during High School in the mid-late 90's, so I'm used to the vintage formula. Was a great starter for getting into fragrances, but every single person I knew had a bottle and wore it often.

6.5 out of 10, too bad for IFRA regs. I definitely wouldn't care to smell a current formula, and to drop the coin on a vintage bottle? Why bother with so many better vintage choices?

To the good 'ol days...

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Close to a Neutral, but a great scent as a teen in the mid-late 90's. Lasted a little longer on me than Polo Sport, this was great for hanging out as a youth. Very mild & pleasant for casual events.

As for today, maybe a great gift for a teenager?

Haven't smelt any current formulations, but if I could find my vintage from High School it would be a great time travel smell.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Got a compliment from a stranger, at lunch, after the 6 hour mark, outside, in SE Texas heat and humidity....only used 4 sprays- front neck, back neck, and both forearms. Heard her exclaim to her husband or boyfriend as I was walking past, "I love that smell!".

This is great for work, very pleasant, very soft yet interesting, not too powdery or feminine, not too floral, not dated. Just a great fresh & clean scent that doesn't smell like AXE.

I'm gonna need a bigger bottle....
20th June, 2019

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

Too much musk and castoreum for me...
Wife made me wash this one off.
Maybe 3 sprays from a travel atomizer was too much? I suppose one spray to the air, then walk through the mist would be the right amount?
Either way, this isn't for me. Too bad, because I'm a big fan of Tsar and had high hopes for VC&A PH.
18th June, 2019

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Great for the summer heat and humidity.
Performs better than an EDC.
Pleasant for the office, yet interesting enough to be unique.

Job well done YSL.
18th June, 2019

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

Love the initial blast of citrus, it is very well blended with other notes that tone down the harshness. But I really wish this stage would last longer, maybe it does and I just get fatigue.

This is perfect for summer, as it doesn't cloy in heat like DH and DHI. Really wish I could buy this formula new today...
16th June, 2019

Sauvage Eau de Parfum by Christian Dior

Headache inducing chemical mess that won't go away.

Down with IFRA regs, the chemicals are getting worse.
12th June, 2019

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

An older On Card sample was pretty nice, but this newer formulation was like sun-soaked urine. Not the musky "cat pee" type of urine, but the "baby diapers" type of urine. Very disappointed, as I really thought I'd like this based on the older formula, notes, and reviews.
18th May, 2019 (last edited: 09th June, 2019)

Vetiver Extrême by Guerlain

Probably the last Guerlain I'll try. Smells OK at first, but smells like B.O. after about the 5th-6th hour.

Creed Original Vetiver was definitely better, but without the longevity and sillage.
18th May, 2019

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

I'm late 30's, but in my opinion this scent is for a much more mature person. My nose is not trained to pick up which note I'm smelling that senses this, but it definitely smells dated on me. Having said that, it's not an unpleasant scent.

I must add this this could really be considered unisex, in my opinion. Something seems very familiar to Chanel No. 5, or another similar scent in the powdery, floral, dated genre.

I had high hopes based on all the positive reviews from another site, but I won't be finishing my 5ml sample.
18th May, 2019

Dior Homme Parfum by Christian Dior

Anybody else smell Copenhagen Long Cut until the top notes fade away?

Once the heart opens up, Copenhagen turns into dryer sheets for the next phase.

Dry down is pleasant, and the vanilla doesn't cloy. If DH Intense was less feminine it would be my preference, but I think just plain Dior Homme is my favorite.

DH Parfum is great for formal evenings in cold weather, but Dior Homme is much more versatile.
24th April, 2019

Not too woodsy.
Not to fresh.
Not too loud.
Juuuusssssst riiiiggghhht.

Seriously a high quality fragrance at an attainable price. Light years ahead of that "Sauvage stuff". Sad some flankers are being discontinued, as this line is by far the best designer line out there.

Sure hope the flankers are not being discontinued in favor of the "Sauvage stuff"..... Can't stand that headache spray...
16th April, 2019

Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Speaking from experience with the vintage opaque formula, truly a masterpiece! I was a die hard Gucci Nobile fan, but this scent may have taken the crown of king of the aromatic fougeres. Not sharp, yet not dull either. A long list of top, mid, and base notes that are perfectly blended. No note is punching its way to the top, but more of a symphony. Every note playing their part in orchestrated success.

Gucci Nobile for the win.
VC&A Tsar for the championship.
17th March, 2019

Bulgari Man Wood Essence by Bulgari

Meh, safe for work, but smells like every other "fresh and clean" scent. Which is nearly everything on the market today, save a few.

This is not deserving of the green color, nor the name "wood". Synthetic smelling, but still nice for work. There's much better offerings for that though, glad I only have a free sample I got at the men's counter.
03rd March, 2019

Realities for Men by Realities Cosmetics

Bought this as a cheap alternative for Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme Eurotalia/Made in Italy version. When worn side by side or layered, you can really spot the chemical/synthetic notes. But when worn solo, it does resemble D&GPH pretty well.

Longevity is on par with an EDC, and sillage is nothing to write home about. But for today's cost it is a bargain compared to D&GPH vintage. It has been discontinued, so I imagine price will rise as availability falls. At which point it will no longer be a bargain, or a substitute for D&GPH vintage.
24th February, 2019

Hugo Energise by Hugo Boss

Serves the same purpose for me as Joop!, but not as loud and distinctive. Definitely a bedroom scent, not for public use.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Awesome masculine scent from the 90's. Right up there with Polo Green, Gucci Nobile, etc.

Sure wish I could find my nearly full bottle from the mid nineties....my Grandmother gave me this one, what a far better gift than the venerable Stetson gift box from Walgreen's!

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

Nothing stands out from the 90's, "let's copy Aqua Di Gio" club.

Better scent than most of the 90's copy cats, but nothing distinct either.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

I still have about 50% of a bottle from about '99-'00, but I think it's starting to turn. Great initial blast, great 4-6 hours after that, but then something smells off for the rest of the day....

I always loved this frag, even if my wife couldn't stand it! It covered up the way my car smelt in those days, when certain other people would ride in it.... :) better than ozium!

One whiff of this takes me back 20 years....oh the good 'ol days....
28th January, 2019

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Love this scent, can probably pull it off year-round. Fresh, but with a twist all its own, definitely the original vintage for me. The newer stuff is more yellow and doesn't have the same notes as the original.

Sillage is just right for office wear, but tends to fade throughout the day. Longevity likewise. But after 6-8 hours it's easy to reapply.

A true classic, too bad for the euro laws trashing all the good ones....

Nobile by Gucci

Tbis is what a man should smell like! Not too much oakmoss, blended perfectly with my skin chemistry, and lasted dawn till dusk!

Way better than Polo Green of any vintage, with a freshness to boot. Man I sure miss this frag, too much for summer, or even a Texas Spring, but absolutely Perfect for Fall and Winter.

Nothing made today can compare, this is pure classly manliness!

Good Life by Davidoff

This was MY scent through the late nineties and early 2000's. Man alive I never thought they'd discontinue this awesome selling and awesome smelling EDT.

Always got compliments on this, I wore it year-round, it was never overpowering or obnoxious, and I've barely got a few weeks left....

Too bad it takes a car payment to buy a new bottle....

Bring this classic back!