Reviews by Pheusinger

Versace pour Homme Oud Noir by Versace

Eros and Dylan was my hook for Versace. TF, MFK and Creed Royal were my hooks for Oud. So here's where the paths cross. This leathered up, woody spicy grand oud night-out number is, tho not completely original, worth a space on the shelf. Projection and longevity are good enough for the price point.
11th March, 2019

Oud Fleur by Tom Ford

As a man who loves the adventure of fragrance, I really like the oud/floral/rose mixture...when its done right. And TF did it wonderfully. The floral hits u up front and the oud and a few other notes carry in the background. The scent will hold of for quite a while and is a great way for a man to get comfortable with a floral scent.
10th March, 2019

A*Men Pure Malt by Thierry Mugler

I'm not a big fan of the original Amen, but this one I dig. The boozy side of this works where the bathroom side of Amen original does not.

It's a compliment better and it does project and last. On Fat Tuesday, this one made sense. Sweet n Boozy.
05th March, 2019

Black No. 1 / Blackbird by House of Matriarch

Earthy and dirty, yes. Brooding. Unique and intriguing. To some without a doubt. I'll admit...my thumbs sideways because it's not accessible to everyone. Being odd and expensive makes it difficult to give a sunny endorse. BUT if u love dark and dirty...even a little metalic, this is a great performer. HOM does not skimp on quality.
02nd March, 2019

Tom Ford Noir Anthracite by Tom Ford

The bergamot softens the blow. The spice is an entertaining distraction. But ultimately this is a walking-tall 2x4 of wood scent in the face. Not that there's anything wrong with that. In a time dominated by shared unisex fragrances, this one is decidedly masculine.

Tom Ford is good at what he does and this is no exception.
28th February, 2019

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

If I were to blind sniff, not knowing what this was, my first impression would be...ok, I like this. It's nice. A little less contemporary than I typically go. Sweet up front with a woodsy/patchouli follow. A hint of tobacco.

Knowing this is a retooled version of a long standing Creed scent is what makes this disappointing. Price and pedigree are what makes this disappointing. A great scent is good at almost any price. But a good one shouldn't break a wallet.
27th February, 2019

Fougère Royale by Houbigant

Transcendent. What else can be said for this 137 year olde granddaddy of Fougeres? And it's amazing that it has as much to offer today as ever. It's as relevant today as any mens fragrance. Several other reviews have nailed down the details more eloquently than I can, but I will say this with confidence. Every serious fragrance loving man should have this in his collection.
26th February, 2019

Replica At the Barber's by Martin Margiela

This sniffs exactly as the name suggests. In the best ways. It's a nostalgic nose trip. In a week of mans-man frags for me, this is a great follow to yesterdays Creed BDP. Right up dad's alley but mine as well.
24th February, 2019

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Stately classic. This is a must have Creed fragrance. The bergamot provides the initial punch. Lavender comes in behind it to carry the tune and eventually the woods smooth it all out. This is NOT a casual scent but could be pulled off in shorts by the right guys.
24th February, 2019

1 Million Lucky by Paco Rabanne

Ok yes, a little on the sweet side. The amber and hazelnut do suggest youth. Not for a business suit. But the cedarwood and patchouli do temper it enough for me to turn the thumb up. It projects well and does last for quite a while too.
22nd February, 2019

Grand Soir by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

As Prince might say, "Sexy M F K er"

Ok...cheap n hammy. But this scent is neither. Sweet but not cloying. It reaches out to passers by, at first with the innocent touch of burnt sugar but then dizzys them with Tonka and Amber.
21st February, 2019

Habdan by Parfums de Marly

A bit sweeter than I'd prefer. That's the up front first impression. Like walking past the caramel apple booth at the carnival. But patience pays off when the rose and incense start taking over. Not bad, just not as good as some others by PDM.
20th February, 2019

Amber Teutonic by D.S. & Durga

I'm stuck in the middle on this. I love a lot of scents from D S and Durga. The whole Hylnds line is on my Mt. Rushmore of niche fragrance. But this one...I'm just not yet sold on. I think I may have to come back to it in a few weeks and see if my thoughts change.
19th February, 2019

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I'm starting a week of Amber heavy frags with an off-the-scoreboard home run. To be clear, I'm a big Tom Ford fan. And juice like this is why. It's big, and delivers a boozy shot followed by Amber accord and incense swirling around each other. The patchouli whispers in and out. It lasts and projects. The only down side will be finding 6 more amber heavy scents as beastly as this one.
17th February, 2019

Armani Privé Rose d'Arabie by Giorgio Armani

Maybe the oud rose seems played out, but this sexy little beast is undeniably begging for attention. It growls and seduces you to lean in and inhale again...harder. The saffron is first up as a quick intro and then the mesmerizing dance between the sweet floral rose and the resonant wood and amber. Those elements do an olfactory Cirque du Soleil for hours, enchanting your audience all day. Bravo Armani Prive!
16th February, 2019

Replica Soul of the Forest by Martin Margiela

I'm not sure why it took me so long to wear this one. But I'm not disapointed at all. Mossy, briefly sweet but not cloying, and as the name suggests....green but a bit dark and damp. Spot on for Replica
13th February, 2019

Santal Nabataea by Mona di Orio

I'm a sucker for the Santal. From Creed's to Le Labo a
And this one's no less fantastic. The sandalwood is forward and well represented but it's not lonely. Excellent and versatile.
10th February, 2019

Forbidden by House of Matriarch

The thumbs up is based on MY likes, where I can see this one might be too odd for some noses. The earthy, pepper, and floral are in a death match with eachother. As they tire the woody notes take over. I dont find the cannabis in there. Again, I love it for its daring attempt. Some may not.
09th February, 2019

Interlude Man by Amouage

This one I imagine is not for everyone. The sweet, smoke and spice will come at you hard, so u have to like that kind of thing, or else. It's my favorite Aoumage scent.
08th February, 2019

C for Men by Clive Christian

CC is pricey, but CC delivers on complexity and quality. Leather, Tea and Tobacco take a whole slew of wood n florals for a ride.
06th February, 2019

Noble Leather by Yves Saint Laurent

Ok...let me frame the thumbs up with "I'm a YSL fan and I dig a great leather forward sniff". With that handicap, Noble Gets the thumbs up in Caesars collesium.

Leather is up front along with saffron and patchouli side cars and the signature YSL note that I cant seem to pin down.

Again for me, though not Tuscan or Ombre 16, this one works.
03rd February, 2019

Terroni by Orto Parisi

Dirty, burnt and very very Gaultieri. If u are a fan, this wont disappoint. The echo of spice and smirk of sweet balance out this earth bound scent.
02nd February, 2019

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

What starts as a sharp, grassy (yeah...I know), patchouli punch, eventually fades nicely into an amber woody tobacco shop breeze. I like it.
01st February, 2019

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Definately a thunder hoofed horse in the Nasomatto line. Its unappologeticly strong and long. Not as weedy as it is smokey. And you will either love it or will run crying.
31st January, 2019

Baccarat Rouge 540 by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is on my Mt. Rushmore. I'll admit it's a bit sweeter than I typically lean, but just the same, it's performance and attraction are undeniable.
28th January, 2019