Reviews by

L'Heure de Nuit by Guerlain

Guerlain, why have you forsaken me? L’Heure Bleue entrances the fragrant mind, opening my appetite for that first time bite of love. What is it about L’Heure de Nuit that’s eating me? I have my legitimate reasons. I can’t wrap my mind around the color of the liquid. I feel my intelligence is being mocked and insulted. I don’t understand the given name of this fragrance. When you figure it out, let me know. What’s eating me most of all is the performance, which is, sad for me to say, nothing noteworthy to write home about. Such a shame as I am smelling a coherent combination of three fragrances that cause my eyeballs to invert and face the back of my skull: Apres L’Ondee, L’Heure Bleue (of course!), and the castrated (because I don’t do skank) Jean Desprez Bal a Versailles, with its detectable orange blossom note on skin contact. I feel that L’HN is a last ditch effort to squeeze the last drop of history from a dried out lemon. Suddenly I see the admonishing eyes of a glowering John Lyndon. I cower when my back hits the wall as he pushes me into a corner and mouths his infamous words: “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?”
09th May, 2019

Les Heures de Parfum - XII L'Heure Mystérieuse by Cartier

Mysterious and bewitching, Cartier L’Heure Mysterieuse is the highlight of my day out sniffing a storm. This cauldron cooked concoction smells deliciously and devilishly beguiling to my innocent nose. I am at once reminded of Grossmith for its vintage feel. A potent and fully loaded atmospheric fragrance style gluing the nose to skin for long city blocks on end. I want!
09th May, 2019

Shem-el-Nessim by Grossmith

*copied from my own review at Twisted Lily, dated Feb. 9th, ‘19*

As you well know, vintage Guerlain L’Heure Bleue is, without question, my absolute and ultimate ideal fragrance, true as steel. My appetite for all others is squashed with the smallest mention of it. My starry, scented universe, wholly contained in a Baccarat. I’ve made my fragrance runaround, in the quest to find another Holy Grail. While there are some good ones out there, to be sure, those too, have suffered the “woes of reformulation”, to quote one trusted blogger. And yet, when all is said and done, I feel nothing on this earth can ever come close to my dearly beloved, long lost Bleue.

Grossmith’s Shem-el-Nessim is a convincing L’HB-Habanita hybrid, that triumphs in capturing the intense, electric feeling of antique, paranormal authenticity. While no other fragrance can make me internally scream so emotionally as L’HB, “Shem”, a properly reissued classic pre-dating L’HB, is a fantastic option, for those of us who haven’t found much luck scouring the eBay vintages department. What’s left for me now, but to lay my weary mind on the head-spinning price point, and purchase my beckoning, haunted otherworld.

P.S. The Grossmith bottle, with its ridges and clear tabbed cap, regal and elegant in its design, is hugged by fuzzy lining on the inside of a sleek Royal Blue box contained within an outer box with an equally elegant and regal label. My Shem, by Grossmith London, was so worth the long wait!
25th February, 2019