Reviews by Fougerio

Déclaration d'Un Soir by Cartier

Sampled this with high expectations. Cruelly dashed. I found it unremarkable, sugary nose not natural smelling. Hard to believe it's the same family as the incredible Declaratión Parfum. For rose, of what I've tried I much prefer Montale Black Aoud, or in a very different style Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'Eau.
04th July, 2019

Epic Man by Amouage

Breath-taking. Potent smoky myrrh. If this is how a Byzantine priest smells, sign me up. I only have a small sample, I can't justify spending this sort of money right now, I make do with a very convincing clone by Eden Perfumes. One day I will buy the real thing. Maybe when the pound is stronger...
02nd July, 2019

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I've read the rave reviews, I have no doubt it's a classic of its genre. But clearly that's a genre I don't much like. Smells like soap or shaving cream, as many say. As if someone wanted to re-create the smell of an actual barbershop. It's sort of powdery, presumably from a sweet lavender note: certainly not the intense herbal note of a lavender flower crushed in your palm. The anise and clove don't help me to like it either. It's "clean" in the sense that it smells like soap, but that's not really how I understand the word "clean". So not for me: I will continue to look for an aromatic fougere as my nose imagines it, intensely lavender-herbal-bracing.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Radically underwhelming. Not offensive, not bad, but was disappointed.

Eau de Minthé Eau de Parfum by Diptyque

Remarkable, and I disagree with the multiple lukewarm and negative reviews. Genuinely fresh herbal without going all sickly sweet and powdery: long-lived, and retains its clean freshness like Guerlain's L'Eau Boisée. Very good longevity. Beautiful bottle. A fine fragrance, I would buy it if my budget stretched that far.

Richard James by Richard James

Remarkable fragrance at a very attractive price. And I'm totally in favour of florals for men. Tempted to buy, but haven't yet: it's just a bit too linear tuberose (or "banana jasmine" as I call it), and I'm not sure I would use it much. But very highly recommended.

Aramis by Aramis

Drydown smells like sour sweat to me, frankly unpleasant. Sorry Aramis. If you want animalic that is not unpleasant, I recommend Antaeus, a magical fragrance.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Nice. But Dior Homme Intense is nicer.¡Viva los perfumes florales para hombre!

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Unexciting. I'm picky and tight-fisted, don't buy fragrances that are just okayish.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Male goats smell good. But only to female goats. For human noses, try Antaeus. Sorry Kouros.

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Tried it with nose set to "favourable". Nice start, but soon becomes powdery-sweet, I guess due to amber/musk. Not as cloying as Cool Water drydown, but still sweet to my nose. Disclaimer: I've got a thing about "fresh" fragrances that go sugary, so feel free to ignore me. Meanwhile, I'm sticking with L'Eau Boisée, no sugary stuff there.

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

This was the first fragrance I bought, thinking "those designer prices surely can't be justified", and believing the multiple good internet reviews of Jacques Bogart. My mistake (aka learning experience), and in any case not expensive. I don't like it at all: "cheap biscuity drydown", as another reviewer said. But also I've learned that I simply don't like sweet vanilla/tonka drydowns in this type of fragrance. So perhaps there are other Bogarts that I'd like. And perhaps you'd like this one, what do I know?

Antaeus by Chanel

I bought this fragrance on a whim, easily swayed (as any foolish man in their 50s might be) by the blind-test opinions of two young sales assistants: they both preferred this (on my left wrist) to Dior Homme Intense (on my right). Funny that. On the way home, I wondered whether I'd been too rash. But no: it's a truly remarkable fragrance with a quite magical smell. I struggle to describe it. The best I can do is Fragrantica's description of beeswax: "an intimate animalic note with hints of wax and the pollen scent left by bees, deep and grounding". The animalic is there, but aromatic and musky and I think erotic (definitely NOT the dirty goat smell of Kouros). It's a beautiful fragrance: I'm glad I allowed myself to be foolishly swayed. Hey, and I bought the Dior Homme Intense too, I was feeling flush.

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

In fragrances purporting to be fresh, I really don't like vanilla and other sweet notes. Give me dry dry dry. But this is sensuous late-night stuff, a sultry blend of flowery and vanilla darkened with something leatheresque. Like.

Cool Water by Davidoff

When I spray this, I wonder if my olfactory system is incorrectly wired. To me, it smells entirely unlike the usual descriptions. I don't find it even remotely "fresh" (citrus, lavender, herbs, marine...): rather, it's almost immediately sweet (amber? musk?) and vaguely spicy (coriander? sandalwood?). It's not unpleasant. But it's definitely not "fresh" to me. Maybe my nose is broke.

Bel Ami by Hermès

I wanted to like this, I really did. The glowing reviews, the poetry of those descriptions! And my sample was briefly lovely. Then (like Terre d'Hermès) it rapidly disappeared beyond my nose's reach. But you know what? I'm going to keep trying, I'm going to learn to enjoy more delicate scents.
24th June, 2019 (last edited: 27th June, 2019)

Dark Aoud by Montale

I sampled this along with Black Aoud and Full Incense. I liked the other two a lot (one potent rose oud, one potent incensy). But I didn't like this one at all: at least on my skin and to my nose it went rapidly to a sour-sweat drydown which reminded me of the equally unpleasant end-destination of Aramis. Not for me.

Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée by Guerlain

I love this fragrance. Sophisticated mint + lime + vetiver. In the drydown, it doesn't degrade to sickly vanilla/tonka/amber; it stays citric and green and woody, as a fragrance of this type clearly should. Merci M. Wasser!

Black Aoud by Montale

I liked this fragrance very much. But unfortunately my girlfriend didn't. She wrinkled her little nose and said "you do NOT want to smell like the inside of an old woman's handbag". I was tempted to dispute her mistaken gendering of the rose. But then I remembered who's boss, and wisely kept my mouth shut.