Reviews by PStoller

Eau de Lanvin by Lanvin

JackTwist is certainly correct that Eau de Lanvin was the name Lanvin gave to a concentration; but, per the images below, it was also a fragrance. It was advertised separately during the early to mid 20th century, and Lanvin’s official website has a picture of a bottle accompanied by this text: “In 1933, true to her pioneering spirit, Jeanne Lanvin launched the very first ‘eau mixte’: ‘L’eau de Lanvin.’” This suggests that it was a fragrance first, with the concentration then applied to other fragrances.
10th December, 2019

Raphaël for Men by Raphael

Per Profumo:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Orange, Petitgrain, Rosemary, Lemon
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lavender, Clove, Rose, Cedarwood
Base Notes: Moss, Musk, Tonka bean, Vanilla

I only have the aftershave, so I can't say how the EDT compares.

After the bitter citrus and herb opening, I get more clove and cedar in the heart than floral notes. Also, I don't smell much tonka and vanilla, which suits me fine. I find it somewhat reminiscent of the later Hermès Eau de Cologne/Eau d'Orange Verte, sans the tropical fruit.

This was apparently one of Johnny Hallyday's favorite scents in the '60s before the fire that left Parfums Raphaël in ashes, formulae and all. Not much Raphaël for Men survives, perhaps because little was produced in the first place, and not for very long.

Anyway, quite nice: it earns a thumbs up, but it's not worthy of unicorn pricing just because it's rare.

Note: The references to Mülhens as the parent company in this listing are erroneous, probably due to confusion with a series of four "Raphaël" fragrances produced by Theodor Jebe in 1986.
19th October, 2019

Lord Molyneux by Molyneux

FYI, notes stated on a vintage Lord Molyneux tester:

"Aromatique Hespéridée": clary sage, lavender, bergamot, citron, tangerine

Spices: coriander, pimento, pepper

Woody Amber: patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, cistus, maté
15th September, 2019 (last edited: 02nd March, 2020)

X Twist Tabac by Clive Christian

I went out tonight with the original X on my left wrist and X Tabac on my right. At no point could I discern a significant difference between the two, and I was trying. So, less a flanker than a twin. If you want to know what it smells like, read the many X reviews: I have nothing to add.

I gave this a provisional thumbs up because I really like X and, as I was running low, I felt the purchase wasn’t a waste. But I can’t see why anyone who has one would need the other, and the original is much easier to come by.
01st August, 2019 (last edited: 06th August, 2019)