Reviews by Dan M

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This fragrance is only as good as the nose that takes it in. I couldn’t help but be drawn by the bitter temperament and guileless aspect, though I quickly repented investing in an endeavour that bore seemingly sour fruit. Every encounter with it led to disappointment and an unsavoury experience, and I wondered if I’d ever use up my bottle. I had to delve deeper into its character with help from an archetype, Guerlain’s Vétiver, before being able to more fully appreciate the suppleness of the vetiver note at its root. The honest beauty, as it turns out, was always there, calling out, even in the midst of cold winds blowing from cavernous despair. Unless the mind is attuned to it, the sweetness is wasted.
22nd September, 2019 (last edited: 01st October, 2019)

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I associated Fahrenheit with notes of rich black pepper and violets, followed by mown grass. Now, though the violets are still present, there is a haze of leather, sharp-smelling spices, and mustiness, that is volatile and not entirely enjoyable, but lends a certain radiance to things. Memory can be unreliable, and perhaps it was senseless trying to recapture something in the past. My old flame, I saw you only a few times in my life, and what I thought was there may have been imaginary.
06th September, 2019