Reviews by Ruqayya33

Ruqayya33's avatar
    Ruqayya33

Harajuku Lovers - Baby by Gwen Stefani

This is a very soft powdery floral and my favorite of the 5 Harajuku Lovers scents. Very refreshing without any (heavy) fruity/citrus and green notes; a great summer's day scent. Yes, it does smell a little like baby powder, after the dry down.... but IMHO, it's not too baby-sweet. My only complaint is the lack of a serious lasting power of this EDT. On me, this lasts about 4 hours. (I'd prefer my best EDTs to last more like 6-8.) Maybe, they'll eventually put out a longer lasting EDP version?!

Luckily, I found a reasonably priced tester bottle, on Ebay and was able to transfer some of the juice into a purse atomizer, for easy re-application. (While the tester bottle is not as cute as the little dolly retail bottles, it's still a much better buy; $25 for 0.5oz or $48 for 1oz retail compared to my 3.4oz tester bottle at $32, including shipping. Hello!!!!!!)

18 June, 2009

Harajuku Lovers - G by Gwen Stefani

This reminds me a lot of suntan lotion; lots of powdery coconut and fruit. IMHO, this is probably a cute scent for a tween and or teen, but not for any adults. Lasting power is not that great. On me, this EDT lasts only 4 hours. (If you still want this scent, I suggest you look for a much more cost-effective, although less dolly cute, tester bottle, online.) I'll pass!

18 June, 2009

Vera Wang by Vera Wang

While I this is not a bad scent, it's just too plain for my taste. Truely Pink and Bouquet (as well as all the Princess versions) are more to my liking.

04 June, 2009

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This frag is very gourmand. While that's not a bad thing.... it's just a bit too much for my taste. I prefer Angel Rose to this.

04 June, 2009

Luscious Pink by Mariah Carey

I own both fragrances by Mariah Carey. This one is definitely lighter and better suited for the office or during warmer (and humid) temps. It starts out nice and fresh, with a hit of citrus - probably the bergamot and bellini - and eventually dries down to a soft floral.

05 May, 2009

Blu by Bulgari

While this is a bit fresher, I still prefer the more sophisticated BLU NOTTE version over this. I also like the men's version of BLU more than the women's..... I suppose the women's is a bit too sweet-floral for my taste. It's not a bad scent, but I don't feel the need to also own this BLU.

05 May, 2009

Absolutely Irresistible by Givenchy

I fell in love with this fragrance after getting a delux sample from Sephora. I can definitely get rose, patchouli and red berry notes. I think the mix of berry and rose makes this scent much more appealing to those of us that want to avoid "old lady" rose pefumes. Lasting power is pretty good at 8+ hours.

08 December, 2008 (Last Edited: 23 July, 2009)

Mediterranean Breeze by Elizabeth Arden

I have to agree with DawnLady's review.... Mediterranean Breeze EDP (in the pink bottle) is a little more fruity and sharper than Mediterranean (in the blue bottle, which I still prefer.) It's a nice scent for a casual spring or summer day. Lasting power is around 6 hours, which is more typical for an EDT than an EDP. That's the only thing I'm disappointed about.

Mediterranean by Elizabeth Arden

This is one of my favorite scents for a "jeans-n-tee" day. Light, creamy, powdery. I actually don't smell much of the fruits in this. Instead I get more of the florals, musk, wood and amber. Lasting power is only 6 hours, which is a bit disappointing for an EDP. (I toss the bottle into my purse to refresh with later.) Fortunately, you can find this frag at several discount (online and retail) stores, for under $30 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

This scent reminds me of root beer or cream soda - in a good way. First, I can definitely smell the licorice, patchouli, vanilla and sugar. During dry-down, the licorice and patchouli slowly fade and the anise, sugar and vanilla are more prominent. After about 2 hours, I can only slightly smell the licorice and patchouli, while the sugar, anise and vanilla melt into a light creamy sweetness. This is definitely better than the woman's version - Pink Sugar. (PS is waaaaaay too sickly-sweet for me and might be better suited for a teenage girl.) I'm not sure I would like Blue Sugar on a man, but it's lovely on me. ;)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

This is another one of my HG frags. I wear this on a day where I'm not feeling well and need a pick-me-up. It's light and does not offend my nose. I get the tea notes - slighly herbal in a dried grass/floral way. To me this smells like a blend of dried rose petals and darjeeling tea. Lasting power is only 4-6 hours, but I toss my bottle into my purse for refreshing later. I found this at a discount store for under $20 for a 1.7 oz bottle.

Blu Notte by Bulgari

This is one of my HG frags!!! Light, fresh and powdery. This can easily go from jeans and a tee to a black dress occasion. I can definitely smell iris and dark (bitter) chocolate in this, but I also get a light baby powder note. Not overly sweet or cloying, just "charming." ;) Lasting power is an impressive 10+ hours.

Sha by Alfred Sung

I have to agree with Tovah's review. Sha is a light lilac-musk frag. Great for spring and summer. Lasting power is 6 hours, which is good for an EDT. I have not seen it in stores in a while, but got mine on eBay.

Trouble by Boucheron

This is definitely a rather strong oriental scent. I would not compare this with any of the Poison versions. Trouble is much more perfumey and remains much sharper, even after several hours. If I want this to work for me, I have to spray it, let it sit for about 30 min and then rinse it off a little with plain warm water. Then, I let it mellow for another 30 min before I face the public. I initially thought it would dry down to a floral vanilla (the way it initially smells on a tissue) , but it doesn't.... On me, the vanilla is almost nonexistent. It's much more musky with a heavy dose of synthetic florals, that last 10+ hours (even after watering it down.) I'll hang on to this for now.... but I know there are better floral orientals out there. Fortunately, I got a 1oz bottle for only $25, so it's not too much of an expenditure. ;)

Red Door Revealed by Elizabeth Arden

Smells like a nice floral bouquet. I can definitely smell violet, jasmine, orchid and amber. I like this version better than the original, which is heavier and more oriental. Lasting power is pretty decent at 10+ hours. Besides that, you can find this frag pretty cheaply at several discount (online and retail) stores.

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

Just like Sung's FOREVER, this is another lovely light floral, for spring or summer. Nothing in this offends. I can smell the florals, while the sandalwood, musk and vanilla are rather faint. Lasting power is decent at 6 hours, which is decent for an EDT. I toss my bottle into my purse, for refreshing later. You can find this for under $20 for a 1.7 oz bottle at some discount stores.

Splendor by Elizabeth Arden

This frag did not agree with my nose and chemistry. Smelled too much like lily of the valley without much else. Sorry, not for me.

Shi by Alfred Sung

Yet another light floral from Sung. I really like the water lilly, orange blossom and fragipani in this. Great for spring and summer.

Forever by Alfred Sung

This is a lovely light floral, spring or summer scent. Great for when you don't want to offend or stand out too much or when it's way too humid for a stronger frag. On my skin, I can definitely smell the freesia, narcisse and rose; the sandalwood, muget and amber are very faint, even at the beginning. Lasting power is at about 6 hours as can be expected for a typical EDT. I toss my bottle into my purse, for refreshing later. The price is not bad, since you can find this at some discount stores for under $20, per 1.7oz bottle.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I found this frag way too ordinary, old fashioned and STRONGLY perfumey. I first sniffed it on a tissue and didn't like it. Then I tested it on my wrist and still didn't like it. Something (but I don't know what) in it offends my nose.... The only plus is it's staying power; it lasted well over 12 hours on me.

04 December, 2008

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Looks like I'm one of a few that did not like this fragrance. I tested over 2 days and it doesn't seem to mix well with my body's chemistry. Reminded me of an old, moldy bar of floral soap.

16 November, 2008

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Wasn't too impressed with this. On me this smells a bit like a fruity-sweet suntan lotion. It smelled decent on the paperstrip, but turned "off" on my skin. think it's the passionfruit and cherry that does not work with my chemistry.

16 November, 2008