Reviews by

Cabochard by Grès

I never seem to remember to wear Cabochard, and I have no idea why not other than I'm usually in La Nuit or Paloma Picasso. I really like it, however. While I don't consider it to be a formal-wear fragrance by any means, it's got some sort of I-got-my-act-together-coolness to it -- chic, sophisticated, tailored... something. It's not one that I can apply and then slob around the house with no makeup and heaven-knows-what kind of raggedy clothing. I suppose it demands that I at least make an effort to rise to its standard of chic and class. Cabochard makes me want to be Lauren Bacall's character in the movie, "To Have and Have Not", and say the coolest things to someone named Steve (or maybe even Joe or Mike or Rocky) like: "You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow." (From "To Have and Have Not", with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart)

04 February, 2006

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

I'm not crazy about the name but I do like the fragrance very much. MyQueen opens rich and sweet with violets, though to me they're obvious throughout. Heliotrope, vanilla, florals also obvious throughout and a job well done balancing the patchouli, musk, vetiver and cedar. Beautiful drydown -- soft and powdery and lightly sweet and earthy. Reminds me of both Le Dix and Dolce Vita. And sometimes, for a second, I think there's cumin lurking in the shadows. My imagination, I'm sure.

09 January, 2006

Chantal Thomass by Chantal Thomass

Some of the descriptives I've found for Chantal Thomass include: seductive, enchanted, sensual, playful, sweet, delicious woody oriental type fragrance, quirky and irresistible, the essence of femininity, ultra-feminine floral, tempting, voluptuous, cheeky musky fragrance, passionate, enchanting, irresistible.

I would describe Chantal Thomass as a fruit explosion. Walls, floor, ceiling covered with fruit -- imagine a food fight, using fruit pie fillings and imagine the mess. To my nose, that's how Chantal Thomass starts off, a sweet-fruity mess. It also seems very chemical on "opening" and lots of alcohol -- not entirely unbooze-like, actually, with all of that fruit in the mix. Maybe it needs these chemicals to lift the heavy sweetness. It's a great relief when at last it becomes soft, warm, and powdery -- on my skin that's about an hour and a half to two hours after application; a long time to wait for the good part of it. But still there's the INTENSE sweetness to contend with -- the fruits and the heliotrope and all the extra notes heliotrope itself brings with it, not to mention the amber. This is the "good part" for me because I love heliotrope and amber anyway, but it just didn't need all those fruits. Did it?

I agree it's cheeky, quirky, and perhaps playful in terms of a fruity food fight. It doesn't impart anything remotely seductive or sensual, enchanting or passionate to me until deep drydown, and even then it's "iffy".

From Sephora: "This ultra-feminine floral, dresses the body like a piece of lingerie." Yes, I can see that. Unfortunately, for me, like a too-frilly, very uncomfortable, ill-fitting piece of lingerie -- too loose here, too tight there, itchy, scratchy, riding up in the wrong place at the wrong time (not sure there is a right time), so it's finally a relief to shuck the lingerie altogether. I will say, however, that if Chantal Thomass started off as it finally ends up, I would possibly (maybe) consider wearing it on occasion, if I had not a drop of anything else to wear. But seriously, as it is, I find Chantal Thomass too fancy, too fussy, too busy, too much.

Its composition seems to be (in no particular order): cranberry, blueberries, raspberry and raspberry leaves, love apple (tomato), heliotrope, red rose, black violet, orange blossom, muscs, sandalwood, amber, patchouli (and I think, but am not certain, kitchen sink and refrigerator).

29 December, 2005

Magnetism by Escada

If I had to describe Escada Magnetism in one word, I think I would say "spirited." To me, Magnetism resembles Sonia Rykiel to some extent. In fact, they're definitely close enough to be sisters, sorority sisters, that is. Magnetism opens very fruity, like sweetened berries, yet it has a little bitterness that softens and keeps the sweetness in check; or perhaps the fruity sweetness softens the bitterness. Either way, it works beautifully for me. There is a little leafy green, fresh-crushed leaf aroma that blends in with the florals and fruits; there's a little floral spice I pick up from the freesia; otherwise, it's hard for me to pick out too many individual notes, especially the florals. Freesia is usually recognizable to me as somewhat peppery, or spicy. I think I "almost" detect a little cumin-like note, much like I do in Dior's Dolce Vita, yet it is more subtle even than that. The fruits and florals lift me up and whisk me away to dreamland; the musk and woods provide the reality check that I need with this fragrance because it is, on opening, almost little girl-like, fun and carefree, and innocent. It would be easy to write it off early as "too young", when, in fact, it's for the young at heart. Were it not for the weighty base notes, I might not even take Magnetism seriously. The final result, however, is somewhat musky, a lovely well-rounded blend, softly sweet and slightly powdery, very much womanly, elegant, and perhaps a little sexy.

I thought I would spray Escada Magnetism, sniff it, and dismiss it as yet another modern watery-fruit concoction. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to like it.

28 October, 2005

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

Fragile, to me, is a *modern* tuberose fragrance -- a fruity sweet tuberose, or I could say a modern spicy floral. It opens, to my nose, with a nice, light tuberose scent and juicy, sweet fruit and a little bit... just a tiny bit... of bitter green, followed pretty quickly by peppery spicyness and then a good hit of wood and musk. I think it's both heart-heavy and base-heavy, and I'd like to say that serves to temper the tuberose and add interest, but really it strikes me more (at times) as competing with the tuberose and, finally, dominating.

26 October, 2005

Black for Her by Kenneth Cole

Actually, the only thing I like about Kenneth Cole Black for Her is the bottle. I found the perfume to be a very heavy, off-smelling, offensive musky floral with no hint whatsoever of lovely sandalwood or sweet amber. The unyielding hyacinth and musk choke out everything, leaving it dry and flat.

Coriolan by Guerlain

I think Coriolan is a magnificent chypre and it's a tragedy that it's being discontinued. Definitely NOT simplistic and one-dimensional -- most chypres aren't, whether for men or women because, well... because they're complicated, complex and multi-layered. I love everything about this fragrance, from it's name and the inspiration for it, to the bottle (said to represent two sides to human nature) to the powder-horn-inspired "stopper", to (and most importantly) its spellbinding aroma. Most chypres speak to me of Autumn, Autumn days when the sky changes its color and the clouds take on a different shape and you know the air way up there has gotten colder, the leaves are changing their colors; Coriolan speaks to me of deepest, darkest Winter nights -- and everything that warms the body and staves off the cold -- wool jackets and Cashmere sweaters and coats, leather gloves, fireplaces, steaming cups of coffee or cider... snuggling. Coriolan is passion and romance, strength and tenderness -- a gorgeous blend of bitter lemon-like note and bergamot, green, dry herbs and warm but light spices, a leather so smooth, so subtle, so teasing, you think you've dreamed it, and that magnificent patchouli/oakmoss "mossiness" that only chypres can give off. It's very long-lasting, even in small amounts; it holds itself together superbly; and... its scent lingers beautifully and lazily on the skin the next morning. Wear fragrances how you will, but Coriolan should NOT be applied with heavy hand -- it should be applied lightly to the chest, a dab at the throat and at each wrist. Its aroma should waft up, to tantalize but ultimately to invite, and, finally, to rest easy and naturally on the skin. "That which shatters the silence we call noise. That which enhances the silence we call music." And so it is with Coriolan -- the perfect amount is breathtaking; it's music to the senses, and any more than that is ruination; it's olfactory noise. And not one bit of this matters... because it's been discontinued.

Angélique Encens by Creed

For me Angelique Encens is a fragrance - an aroma - a scent - a world - of peace, of gentleness and kindness, of elegance, of grace, and of dignity. Angelique Encens speaks to me of an uncluttered life, and a world void of chaos and hatred, violence and suffering. To me it has a slight and subtle oriental/vanilla quality; somewhat spicy, lightly floral, lovely powdery drydown. An elegant and refined, most proper fragrance suitable, I think, for both men and women; I am so impressed with Angelique Encens that I've bought two bottles. If it had a voice it would be the angelic voice of Enya and it's song would be "Marble Halls." With so many fragrances on the market today that leave many of us wondering what their purpose is, Angelique Encens is different; a vintage fragrance, coming out of a time of chivalry and etiquette and romanticism, it makes clear its mission right from the start - to take us back again...

Opium Eau d'Été by Yves Saint Laurent

This is an outstanding perfume, in my opinion. For all who put away Opium during the summer and save it for winter days and nights; for all who love the essence of Opium but just find it TOO MUCH; for those, like me, who live in a warm, humid climate that can ruin the finest of orientals and cause them to sit on the skin and become stifling and suffocating; for anyone afraid of oriental perfumes and specifically just plain afraid of Opium.... I highly recommend Opium Eau d'ete for softly-sexy-scented skin. YSL managed to preserve the essence of Opium, its richness and depth, its sexiness, without watering it down, without "modernizing" it, without destroying it. Seriously! Opium Eau d'ete is warm and spicy yet surprisingly fresh and refreshing, deep and rich yet (again) surprisingly light and clean-smelling, sexy and provocative yet teasingly so. Perfect year round, I think, but if you would like to add a sultry, sizzling, sexy oriental to your summer fragrance wardrobe, I do think Opium Eau d'ete is ideal, and not just for evenings, but for day wear, office wear....any time, any place.

L'Or de Torrente by Torrente

L'Or de Torrente is a very pretty, old-fashioned fragrance; a very fruity floral scent for a good while until it settles into a divine coffee and rose scent on me. It reminds me of my grandmother and being in my grandmother's kitchen long ago; a working kitchen with wonderful aromas night and day, an un-air-conditioned kitchen always closed off from the rest of the air-conditioned house (where there was always a clean and cedar aroma no matter the room) - her own soft perfume, a small 'jar' of fresh cut roses on the little enamel top table, a bowl of ripe, lush fruit on the porcelain tiled counter, a pot of coffee percolating on the gas stove, all mingling together gloriously. L'Or has fabulous sillage and is very long-lasting -- it fills my home and my car with the most wonderful scent even after I've left either, and... I seem to always get compliments from young men.

Michael Kors / Michael by Michael Kors

Michael is rich with tuberose; almost Fracas-esque, if you will, though a lighter Fracas; spiced up with a little freesia and incense; softened with orris and barely-there woods -- smooth and velvety.

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

Gardenia and honeysuckle are front and center in Marc Jacobs, and my nose discerns nothing else, really -- fresh cut gardenias and honeysuckle in a vase of water.

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

I have never liked this fragrance. I've tried it many times; even purchased it but gave it away; and not only do I not like it, I keep thinking it's unfinished, that something important has been left out of it; that with just a drop of one thing, it might be a beautiful perfume.

Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I don't like Patchouli Patch at all. To me, it's a very hard, cold and austere musky patchouli with no warmth at all. Not at all pleasing to smell -- on my skin or from the bottle.

02 November, 2004

Omnia by Bulgari

I highly recommend Omnia as an oriental for anyone who doesn't care for the heavy, strong orientals. Omnia is not an ambery oriental, but a woody oriental; loaded with spices, yes, but a dash of this and a pinch of that, just the right amounts and beautifully blended, in my opinion. While not linear, it seems to change little on me from start to finish. The saffron is most noticeable to me on opening along with some ginger, followed very quickly by a tea note; it then becomes very woody, almost drylike, and then a sweetness begins to emerge. I think its perfect balance is both its glory and its downfall and why it is thought by some to be so unremarkable, so forgettable. Omnia, I would have to agree, is nothing extraordinary; it's certainly not earth-shattering, revolutionary, ground-breaking.... It is, however, a delightful and lovely perfume.

10th September, 2004

Nude by Bill Blass

The first time I smelled Nude I thought it to be plastic and cheap-smelling. But I could not stop sniffing myself!! I think it's so much fun to wear and I love how synthetic-smelling Nude is. It's a beautiful blend, smooth with nothing protruding; crisp and fresh, like cotton starched and freshly ironed, and yet deliciously creamy and sultry at the same time. It holds true and is very long-lasting. I'm not sure it's linear but definitely straight forward and consistent from start to finish. I also love the box and the bottle. I think they're perfect for the perfume and I just love handling them and looking at them.

10th September, 2004

Blonde by Versace

Blonde is an intensely sweet, intensely floral fragrance, predominantly tuberose though there is a strong orange note and a little green bouncing around in it. The opening briefly suggests Fracas but as it develops it loses the smooth, creamy quality of Fracas, in my opinion, and quickly becomes more "tropical" in feel, along the lines of Guerlain's Mahora. Blonde is a big, bold, bright perfume. It holds together very well though the sweetness does intensify and may, especially if you don't like strong sweet florals, become quite cloying for you; it's very long-lasting, and produces tremendous sillage. I would say that if you don't care at all for Fracas or Mahora, or even White Shoulders, then I doubt you would care for Blonde either. On the other hand, if you do like and own any of those fragrances, you would probably like Blonde but not necessarily "need" it.

27 July, 2004