Reviews by xmen

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Sublime by Jean Patou

Leave 1000 and Joy to the ladies but all men should try Sublime at least once and be mesmerized. Masterly even by the lofty standard of Patou, beautifully constructed and, yes, Sublime indeed!

04 August, 2009

Forest Rain by Kiehl's

It's been a while since a single scent has so captivated me! This little known wonder from the house of Kiehl is enticingly good! Spread the words- this a classic and one of the best new scent to come out during the last few years!

03 August, 2009

Coeur de Parfum / Parfum Rare by Jacomo

A scent of exquisite beauty. A shame that it's not better known.

30th July, 2009

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

An absolute beauty this is! This elephant is definitely the king of the jungle in the Kenzo kingdom for me. And now one of my firm top 10 scents of all time.

12 June, 2009

Oblique REW by Givenchy

Another excellent addition to the gourmand family. I sniff and sniff and I just can't stop. I just wish it's better known. It deserves a better fate than this early exit from the perfume world.

02 June, 2009

Burberry for Men (Version #2) by Burberry

One of the best British men's scent. A shame this is so hardly mentioned when it's just so good. I just can't stop sniffing it on my arms. An absolute gem.

01st June, 2009

Sybaris by Antonio Puig

A super macho Spanish leather chypres. Great for those days when you want to feel like you're Antonia Banderas! But I've to give this a neutral rating as I don't think it's really that special as described by some of the other members.

23 May, 2009

Gilda by Pierre Wulff

One of the best gourmand scent ever. This unknown gem from 1986 achieves the perfect balancing act of sweet gourmand notes (just enough sweetness to entice) and woody spiciness for a long lasting and unforgettable impression. Though I can well imagine Rita Hayworth wearing this signature scent named after one of her most famous roles, I think this perfume is sultrily unisex. A pity that it's not better known.

23 May, 2009

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Mr Clean and Boring- that description fits this scent to a T. While I like the 'clean laundry' notes, this genre has been taken a hugh step further by Prada in their more refined and interesting Infusion d'Homme. I need more excitement in my life so I have to pass this rather likable and genial scent up.

21st May, 2009

Rose by Czech & Speake

A simple English Rose scent and its beauty lies in its simplicity. A little too feminine and linear for me though. Most suitable if you want to smell like Jane Austen rather James Bond.

20th May, 2009

Nu Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

It's a travesty that this discontinued gem is not better known. What an absolutely stunning piece of composition! I derive much joy and satisfaction from its heavenly incense notes and white orchid has never smelled so seductive. Everyman should wear it at least once. A YSL man's classic no less (yes, I know it's marketed for women and what a mistake that was)- I even prefer this to Rive Gauche pour Homme.

19 May, 2009

Soir de Lune by Sisley

This scent smells expensive and its monster sillage and longevity make sure that you don't forget it. But this heavy rose like the other heavy-weight floral scent, Patou's Joy, just do sit too well on a man's skin. I respect it but I can't wear it- it wears me.

17 May, 2009

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

A delicious creamy buttery gardenia scent that is quite addictive. The musk is not heavy at all and settle quite amicably on my skin. Good sillage and longevity. I think this Essence is a keeper in my book.

17 May, 2009

Le Feu D'Issey Light by Issey Miyake

An airy and absolutely stunning piece of work. Rather mysterious in its charisma but short lived. I love it and want to wear it more often to understand it better.

16 May, 2009

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

This scent got stuck in time. It's like meeting your not-so-favorite uncle again- you know, the one who talks too loud. Krizia Uomo is sadly dated and I really don't know who wants to smell like that in this modern time.

15 May, 2009

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

I didn't like the last time and I still don't like it now. A rather reticent sweet scent that fails to entice and seduce. For everything good that is missing in this scent, just jump straight to Euphoria Intense and save yourself the disappointment.

13 May, 2009

Éclat d'Arpège by Lanvin

A rather articificial peachy little thing. Leans more towards the feminine side but offers little else of interest aside from the rather persistent, but pleasant, peach note.

12 May, 2009

The Dreamer by Versace

A darkhorse. But one that I love very much. The gin & tonic notes are just so unusual. A Versace scent of great interest.

11th May, 2009

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

I didn't like the original and dated Calèche at all so it was a surprise to sniff Kelly and to find it to be a modern and very successful remake. Totally light and airy in its tone, this regal scent is perfect for the modern man (and of course woman for whom it is marketed for). Lovely!

10th May, 2009

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

A classic barber-shop scent of immense appeal. Intensely good.

09 May, 2009

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A classy, discreet comfort scent of some distinction. This modern scent well deserves its popularity.

08 May, 2009

Aigner Black for Men by Etienne Aigner

It's a pity that any perfume offering by Etienne Aigner is often overlooked and none deserves more respect than Aigner Black. Oozing class and sophistication, Black is superbly assured and classy. Pretty linear, it's just lack any developement of surprise and excitement to elevate it to great. But still afterall a very fine perfume and deserves to be better known.

06 May, 2009

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

The vintage eau de cologne is a class act. Superbly refined, it's a classic fougere scent from a by-gone era and it just smells so special. This will go well with a jacket and tie for a formal occasion. I love Monsieur Rochas very much and my hats off to a well-done classic.

06 May, 2009

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

Who wants to smell like a ripe old plum? Well, this totally inoffensive scent will do just the tricks. Quite nice for a hot-weather wear but I really can't imagine anyone wanting to smell like a plum. So, it's my SOTD and also a scent that I'll never wear again.

05 May, 2009

1000 by Jean Patou

A masterpiece that thankfully does not smell dated. The edt opens up beautifully after a heavy bombardment of rather dense and aggressive top floral notes. I can smell my favorite peace note beneath the bouquet. The drydown is impeccably constructed. I'm surprised to see so few reviews for 1000.

03 May, 2009

Apparition by Ungaro

A most lovely and under looked gem from Ungaro. I think it's perfectly suitable for a man. And it just makes me smile to know Ungaro can still come out with some above average scent. Apparition is one of them. Please, please do something about the hideous bottle.

02 May, 2009

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Nothing dark about this rose. This is a regal rose of great subtlety and elegance. An absolutely charmer and perfectly wearable on a man. No pun intended but Dark Rose is a rose among the thorns in C&A unbalanced lineup.

01st May, 2009

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Of all the C&A, I think this is the one I would put down my money for a full bottle. It doesn't start promisingly (like all the other C&A)- the off-putting incense 'house note' is just grating and quite repugnant. The drydown however is marvelously exquisite and this ranks as one of the loveliest lavender scent I know.

30th April, 2009

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

This has to be my second least favorite from the C&A line. Disappointing. An unlovely incense. Sorry, no love here.

30th April, 2009

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

I'm quite shy to admit that I can't really tell the difference between the original and the Légère version. Light this is not. The sillage is equally vivid and the longevity impressive. Many hours on my skin and I'm still smelling it. Absolutely wonderful!

28 April, 2009