Reviews by Leo the Zen

Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

This is my signature scent at the moment. I love the extremely clean, natural, while at the same time sophisticated scent. It is predominantly composed of bergamot, which makes its opening citrusy fresh. There is a very soft note of rose and musk giving it depth but the white floral note seem to take more center stage. It is uplifting, extremely long lasting and it has great projection. I am infatuated with MFK and I can't wait to fall in love all over again with another of their offerings.

04 February, 2012

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I was going to post a review but Volley 2 below expressed just what I had pictured it to be in my mind! Excellent job! I even wear this to bed, that is how addicted I am to it. It is comforting, huggable, sexy... what else can I add? Offputting at first...addictive once you learn to appreciate it!

15 April, 2011

Ciel Man by Amouage

I am from Cuba, an island in the Caribbean Sea. I am predisposed to feel nostalgic when I catch smells that remind me my past and I give them high praise.This is case of Ciel. Instead of talking about the notes, I will just say the vision I get when I think about Ciel for Him by Amouage. Imagine a beach with very white sand, the whitest, softest sand you've ever seen...when you walk on it it feels like powder. Then imagine that it is night time, the ocean looks navy blue dark and a few stars shine over. There is full moon, and you are laying in a hammock between coconut trees really close to the soft rolling ripples of the calm sea. There is a soft breeze carrying the smell of flowers from a garden near by mixed with the saltiness in the air, and there is someone playing a guitar very softly close to you...you can catch a whiff of the wood from the guitar once in a while. Someone is preparing hot milk sweetened with honey and that scent is in the air too... that is pretty much it. Comforting, caressing fragrance. It brings me memories of my childhood, when I did experienced all of this and now at least I can get to recreated it in my head just with the smell of Ciel. I just love that.

16 December, 2010

Ubar Woman by Amouage

This is the only women's fragrance that I wear. It is really beautiful, and yes, the head notes with all the floral (mainly lily of the valley and bergamot) and the heart with its soft rose, jasmine and extremely polished incense are a bit feminine. However, the base is just amazingly unisex. It has a musky character. What really catches me is the ambery-animalic(civet)-vanilla accord mixed with woods (sandalwood). Somehow my skin turns it into a unisex, sensual smell that I can't have enough of, and with the echo of the lily of the valley and incense somewhere, hardly present but still lingering in there, I have no words to describe it. This is a scent for power women in their 30s and above, and for confident men 25 and above as well. 5 stars! Thumbs waaaaay up! Is there anything else I can give it to make my point! :-)

29 July, 2010

Polo Explorer by Ralph Lauren

Very good fragrance. I cannot compare it to anything. I received it as a birthday gift and it hit me right on the spot. I am not a big fan of Ralph Lauren's colognes, though I appreciate their own value and presence. Could it be the Cuban mahogany? Since I am Cuban and having had my bedroom furniture made out of very old Cuban Mahogany, maybe that smell strikes a cord and brings me back to my infancy? I don't know, but it is a very manly woody aroma with a soft flower and fruit accord that makes me feel happy and youthful. I was needing a young scent that was not citric, and just anytime pleasant, and this fits the bill.

12 June, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Very Clean scent, not the typical acquatic-marine, it is a bit more shall I say romantic-sporty? It reminds me or Romance Silver, but less citrusy. Excellent for office wear. I usually wear Creed GIT for the office, but honestly, I find this one very pleasant, uncomplicated, and rightly priced, and I find that I can easily wear any of them at any given time. Don't bash it based on the old Polo Sport that just like AD'G was worn by the masses and most people with more sophisticated taste began to despise. Those colognes had their own beauty and this one is really good and it has its very own identity. I personally prefer Explorer from the new RL, but still, I cannot understand the real ugly criticism to this very pleasant cologne.

12 June, 2009

Acier Aluminium by Creed

In a sentense:
    Sex in a bottle...the dirty kind! The opening was awesome...but the drydown...Ouch!!! In my skin it smells like I just spent 12 hours in some low class club where sex happens in the dancefloor and I left with that very intimate smell (to remain politically correct) all over. I can see that it could be appealing to some. Think stripclub and flower smells mixed with "something else". It reminds me a lot of what my brother smelled like when he was a sex maniac. Not pleasant...very raw and animalic. One thing I will give it, it is very manly!

11th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

The incense is so well balanced that it never takes over or fades. It is just a perfect blend. My number 1 for special occasions, such as travels, Opera nights and parties. It has "Adventurous, Elegant, mysterious, sophisticated, youthful...but above all Man" formulated it in. I love honey,and it is also very much present in it.
    Dreamy!
    The honey note could be too strong for some buy in my skin it is just precious.

11th December, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

I am an inexperienced reviewer, so my opinion will not be technical. This is the only cologne I have been able to wear until the bottle was empty without using other colognes in between. It is sweet, yet not like JPG, more like Terre, or Fahrenheit Dior, but still, not the same. I bought it for my trip to Alaska, and every time I smell it, that is all I can think off. Since it has a bit of animal sensuality in it, it reminds me the soft bed and warm bed surrounded by the beauty of the Alaskan peaks and semi frozen seas, and the young hot body of my partner next to mine. It is very seductive, spicy, but not too much, very well balanced.

19 November, 2008