Reviews by lauermar

Love by Victoria's Secret

Awww I like this one. It is perfect for work and sports, casual outings. It lasts a few hours then fades away gently. It does smell like fresh cotton. Anybody can wear this. You don't have to be a Millennial.
20th September, 2019

Pepe Jeans for Her by Pepe Jeans London

Just like a tropical cocktail. I smell pineapple although it's not on the note list. Almond milk, Madagascar vanilla, amber and musk. Mine came in a bottle shaped like a martini glass.
11th February, 2019 (last edited: 22nd March, 2019)

Glamour by Gale Hayman

If you like Youth Dew or Tabu, you will probably like this. It is mature and spicy in that retro way. This is what I was hoping for when I sought out Tabu in the drugstore. But I'm afraid the quality of Tabu has gone down to the point that it is unbalanced and over the top.
19th January, 2019

Geminesse by Max Factor

I remember having the original as a teen. This seems modern to me but in a good way. The powdery dry down is still there and it has a certain retro nostalgia that other floral leathers like Kelly Caleche do not have. I have a sample of Kelly but I'm glad I didn't spring for a bottle. I prefer this one and I'm hooked.
02nd November, 2018

Body by Victoria by Victoria's Secret

Freesia, Water Hyacinth And Stephanotis. The freesia is the first thing you notice. I have so many memories of putting this on after a bath right before bed, and spraying some on my daughter who was a toddler then. This would be 1999 or so. It lingers in a good way. My husband would say he'd come home from work and smell this on us when he turned in for the night.
22nd August, 2018

La Vie est Belle Éclat by Lancôme

This is longer-lasting and more potent than the original. I compared both, one on each hand. Hours later, the eclat was still going strong. I am reminded of the potency of perfumes in the 1980s and early 1990s, but in a good way. I love the alligator texture bottle. It looks great in my display case! No regrets buying this. Normally I don't care for flankers, but I like this better than the original now that I've owned both.
04th December, 2017 (last edited: 18th January, 2019)

Alliage by Estée Lauder

This isn't a 1980s fragrance, but oh boy, the sillage fills a room and lasts all day for me. The drydown on me acts like a linear fragrance too. It is very green and resinous to me. I am reminded of leaves burning in the fall. I usually wear this with a leather jacket or skirt as summer fades and Indian summer begins. It's getting harder to find at Lauder counters. In some places, you have to order it, and it comes in a generic bottle rather than the original square bottle with silver trim. I have an old bottle, so I don't know if it's been reformulated. I hope they never discontinue this.
08th September, 2017 (last edited: 28th October, 2018)

Pink by Victoria's Secret

Well, it's 2017, almost 20 years since butterbean's review. My bottle isn't that old. I probably bought it around 2008 or so. I just tried it on after a long hiatus, and remarkably it seems the same as the day I bought it. I didn't think I'd want to wear it again, since I'm nearly 60 and didn't think it would appeal. But it smells so fresh, it brings back my younger days. VS does not make this scent anymore. They now have a collection of fruity body sprays under the Pink name which are light and not long-lasting.
20th July, 2017

Mariel by H2O+

I have used it since it first came out in the 1990s. It was a fruity-floral aquatic with great long-lasting sillage. Unfortunately, that class is played out now that every perfume company has something similar. As of 2017, the H20 Plus website is no longer making perfumes, and they stated they have no plans to bring back Mariel. Customers have been asking for its return over decades. I remember they discontinued it once and brought it back after 2000, but not this time. Probably the millenials they are marketing to are no longer interested.
12th July, 2017

The Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

I tried this at the drugstore and it kept haunting me, but in a good way. I couldn't forget the scent, and when that happens I have to go back for more. The fig in this reminds a little bit of Premier Figuier but with a splash of pear. The violet leaf reminds me of my now-discontinued favorite Verte Violette. This is an interesting mix. I can't get L'Artisan like I used to, so I'll take an affordable version.
16th March, 2017

007 for Women by James Bond

For some reason, this seems to me like a daytime-appropriate version of Hypnotic Poison. Could be the vanilla-jasmine combination.
04th January, 2017

Stash by Sarah Jessica Parker

I am reminded of Tom Ford's Black Orchid and Donna Karan's Black Cashmere when I wear this. I think it is because they share some characteristics such as unisex presentation, dark gourmand, patchouli, strong sillage, and long wear. Is that a bit of cedar, incense and sandalwood I'm smelling too? I am happy to use it as an affordable replacement for Ford & Karan in my collection, as long as it is still around. Ever since Black Cashmere was discontinued, rare fragrance sellers want $200-plus per bottle; or you buy a $59 replica. Black Orchid is available but costs $100-plus. Stash starts at $25 and goes up to $75.
28th December, 2016 (last edited: 10th November, 2017)

Comedie by Michel Klein

Comedie by Michel Klein was launched in 2001 by the now-defunct online French beauty store called CCB-PARIS (Le Club des Createurs de Beaute). It is floral fruity fragrance for women. The nose behind this fragrance is Dorothee Piot. Top notes are peach, cherry, pear and red berries; middle notes are carnation, iris, freesia, jasmine and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are patchouli, musk, oak moss and cedar. The fragrance is very fruity and definitely girly, yet not overly sweet and very well-balanced. The cheery note is truly delicious. I miss it! I still have one bottle that is 16 years old.
02nd April, 2016 (last edited: 06th May, 2018)

Delicious by Gale Hayman

I got this on fragrancefactory in the original bottle with the metal leopard on it. They charge a premium for it, but I had to have it.
02nd April, 2016

Insomny by Michel Klein

Another fragrance classic from the now-defunct CCB-PARIS company, formerly a L'Oréal company. Michel Klein launched Insomny in 2000 as a perfume of the new millennium. The composition is sweet and heady with notes of passion fruit, white tea, ginger, coffee, vanilla, musk, spices and caramel. I suppose you could say it was inspired by Thierry Mugler's Angel, but this is more coffee and less frivolous. It's all about staying up all night. My bottle is 16 years old, and I'm hording it. You can't find it anywhere.
02nd April, 2016

Dark Angel by Victoria's Secret

It's a gourmand along the lines of Calvin Klein Euphoria, Prada original, and others of this type. The mango, caramel and almond notes predominate. It comes in a black sparkle box and is now listed in clearance at full price, $68. I regret that most dark fragrances bite the dust sooner than the bubbly fruity ones do---take Dark Orchid, for example. Too bad. I can't get enough of the dark fragrances, but they seem intent on promoting bubbly fruity ones to a younger market. Other than Rapture, it's getting harder to find anything suitable for a mature market.
01st March, 2016

Red Pearl by Red Pearl

In 2004, I bought this from a street vendor on Broadway in Soho NYC while on a business trip. I regret I paid $40 for it, but everything is inflated in NYC. I thought this was a limited edition, hard-to-find scent. For sure, you won't smell it on others because few people know of it. While I regret paying that much, the scent still gives me memories of my trip and I'm glad I can buy another on Amazon for half what I originally paid. It is strong and spicy to me and others. You have to be careful because it leaves a trail. Around 2008, I was visiting an outdoor mall in suburban Chicago in winter time and I smelled this wafting down one of the corridors between stores. I searched in vain to see what woman was wearing it but she was long gone. I wanted to ask her if it was Red Pearl but I never got the chance. It had to be. It would have been nice to meet someone who was "in the know" about this scent. Just keep in mind that you will leave a trail, so if you don't want to do that, use it sparingly.
14th November, 2015 (last edited: 14th June, 2018)

Sexy Rio de Janeiro by Michael Kors

I love this and bought it in West Village, NYC. I got the tall bottle. It is absolutely beautiful, a nice mix of flowers and fruits. I'm reminded of the now-discontinued SJP Covet Pure Bloom (the purple one.) I just wish it lasted longer. I have to reapply at the end of the day. But it's nice to wear to work. It won't offend.
25th May, 2015

Intimately Beckham Women by Beckham

I adore this scent because it is fresh and feminine in a more mature way than the candy sugary stuff. A little goes a long way. I just got another bottle in swap this year (2014) after not wearing it since 2009-2010. I missed it so much. I threw a perfectly good bottle away because a crazy lady with allergies followed me out to my car and threatened to sue me for making her sick by wearing it. I told her I had allergies, asthma and even migraines too, but I don't over-apply and I take my medicine so I can enjoy it. She wasn't satisfied with that. She went into our building to complain about it. I nearly lost my job. Now that I have the bottle back, I'll wear it at home as much as I want. I probably won't wear it on the job though. I hope that scene never happens again with any of my perfumes.
11th July, 2014

Norell by Norell

Just got this. It's remarkably similar to Guy LaRoche Fidji, now hard to find. Turns out the same Nose worked on both. Green fougere I think. Some lavender in the mix.
16th July, 2012 (last edited: 26th January, 2019)

Legacy 1912 Titanic by RMS Titanic

This scent was produced and distributed by the RMS promotions and exhibits office. The perfumer and bottle designer is still unidentified. I'm not sure anyone at HSN even knows. It must have been commissioned for them by one of the perfume houses. It took me months to get it, which means they had to wait until there was an economic order quantity to manufacture. This is definitely a limited edition. It's lemon and rose, very modern, good on its own merits, not like Shalimar or anything from 1912. Lots of staying power. Sillage not overpowering.
12th July, 2012

Tuscany per Donna by Estee Lauder

This is a supreme Italian-style scent. It compares favorably to the now-discontinued rare Venezia by Laura Biagiotti, considerably cheaper and easier to find. The only thing missing is the Japanese Wong-Shi flower. Still, this is very very close. I'm glad to have discovered this, because I'm running out of Venezia.
16th August, 2010

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I used to wear Charlie as a teen, then didn't wear it for decades. I tried wearing it again in my 30s and 40s and gave up, thinking it was overpowering. Now I'm in my 50s, and tried it again just yesterday. Now it's a green floral with a powdery drydown that is refreshing and different in this age of fruity gourmands. Time changes my perspective of certain perfumes.
28th July, 2010

La Petite Robe Noire (original) by Guerlain

I concur with both of the excellent reviews before mine, except for the claim that that the Guerlinade base never asserts itself. I disagree. It appears shortly after I spray it on, and it is the reason why I like Guerlain fragrances in general. LPRN is not understated, so the fragrance isn't aptly named. But I enjoy bold statement fragrances from the 80s, and this one has the same appeal for me. I never wear it to work, and wear it sparingly when I do apply it. Weak fragrances like Lola have become the norm today due to the loud protests of the allergy crowd. For the record, I have allergies and migraines too but I don't impose my illnesses on others' choices.
06th May, 2010

SJP NYC by Sarah Jessica Parker

SJP NYC was created by Honorine Blanc from Firmenich, and launched February 2010. This fragrance was designed with input from people who registered with sarahjessicaparkerbeauty.com. Over a year ago, we got emails with a survey inviting us to pick the ingredients, the bottle design, and the name from a list of options. This product is the result of those surveys. I remember selecting this print for the bottle.
PROs: Good staying power, good sillage, lasted 8+ hours on me. I liked the scent.
CONs: Nothing new or original. Reminds me of a mix of Fantasy, Miss Dior Cherie and Giorgio G. Not something I'd imagine Carrie would wear. I picture her going to an apothecary and mixing her own blend of musk, patchouli, sandalwood and whatever else strikes her interest that day.
Someone once said the bottle looked low rent. That's true, but it's different from all the elegant bottles out there. I don't mind a high/low mix on my shelf. It's affordable at $49/2oz.

17th February, 2010 (last edited: 10th January, 2019)

Zen by Tan Giudicelli

Discontinued, but a slice of heaven. Like fresh linens blowing in the breeze.

Annam by Tan Giudicelli

Ohhhh, I wish they had not discontinued this. Milky rice pudding. Mellow. Nothing else like it. If you find someone that has this, sell your soul to buy it!

Venezia (original) by Long Lost Perfume

I have the original by Laura Biagiotti, and there is nothing else like it. This one has the rare Japanese Wong-Shi blossom, which is not a key ingredient in the Long Lost version, and that is why it will leave you wanting. Laura Biagotti got an inspiration for this perfume after her journey to Pechino. Bottle cap reminds of a Saint George’s bell tower in Venice. Warm, woody-spicy, oriental, very Italian. Top notes include succulent Italian fruit with some green accord; peach, plums and bergamot. At its heart; rose, spicy carnation, intense cinnamon and iris. Sandalwood, Tonka bean, vanilla and benzoin. It was created in 1992.

Moonwind by Avon

I agree with distortech. This is a nice unisex fragrance that is sporty and fresh. I have it in the Tropical Parakeet limited edition glass bottle. This was a find on eBay.
16th February, 2010