Reviews

A blast of Grassy Bitter Freshness

Spring Summer !!!
13th March, 2015

Patchouli by Fragonard

Tailored Patchouli from Fragonard.

A masculine but shared fragrance makes its opening with a quick breeze of freshness

The body heat soon release the truth - a well polished arrogance so expected from a Patchouli and Fragonard delivers by giving you the punch but with a well padded glove !!

This Patchouli is well controlled just the right amount of scream - smoothed around the edges.

The Caraway holds the middle notes and base notes together and this is possibly the slight powdery feel that gives Fragonard Patchouli its own pedigree - a tad GRAND.

Smart and impeccable packaging - I would have gone with a richer and darker approach on the packaging (it does matter !!!)

In a world where the individual wants to stand out and - there it is.

Probably not the Gym pick me up !!

No age limit here but DARING !!!

I think even some young "Goth" would appreciate the Caraway notes in this Patchouli.

To experience

21st February, 2014 (last edited: 24th February, 2014)

Cool Water by Davidoff

Like a good pair of 501's - Cool Water is Classic

LIKE A GOOD PAIR OF 501's

Cool Water is Classic

Super green and mint fresh - this is full morning power that do last well.

It will leave a good "mossy" feel at the end of the day.

Non complicate - easy to wear this is a very positive scent to wear - full of masculine energy.

No extras frills but a good recommended Classic freshness !!!!

Pros: fresh simplicity
Cons: none"

25th August, 2013

Mahon Leather by Floris

Waou

A direct heritage from their late and gone "Vetiver" in my opinion - and so much improved.

I will not talk about the notes etc..... but mostly about the feeling of the scent.

I found this scent beautifully violent and sexually charged BUT all presented on a solid gold tray - with a Crested collar !!!

A PURE BEAUTY - a bit of a Wild Animal bread by Floris

Not for the shy ones !!!
15th February, 2013

Victorious by Floris

From the TOP of the range collection from Floris.

A festival of notes so well put together

A Mastery fusion of Fresh Warmth and Oriental notes.

MY nose would smell moslty a subtle vanilla note combined with all the Floris warm notes of woods and fresh notes and "Floris" Sandalwood on the edges.

Totally wearable daytime and evening for men and women

I would actually put this one as the most Classico/Modern scent Floris has put together lately.

I have not smelled anything that Avant-Guarde for a long time from Floris.

An Eau de Parfum - that is Bold on the skin - does not come cheap and thank god for that - this is rare top nosh !!!

From the Private Collection only for the few !!
15th February, 2013

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

One of the Grand Classic

To be experienced at least once

02nd April, 2012

Royall Vetiver by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Molinard's Vetiver version is gone - but I have just discovered this one
Royall Vetiver and itis sublime - well balanced and not too strong

A dash of sweetness and spices

If you like your Vetiver with a puuur but well groomed arround the edges - this is one of them for sure !!!

Recommended

20th March, 2012 (last edited: 21st March, 2012)

Eton College Collection by Taylor of Old Bond Street

Strange - Odd - Unusual - Metallic -

I would put it in the Jicky categorie - you love it or hate it !!

Going in different directions between the freshness and the spices and a tad sweet.

I like fragrances that are odd or out of the mould.

Winter - evening - standing out.

Deserves a try -

I like it !!
21st January, 2011

Shaving Shop by Taylor of Old Bond Street

It is Shaving Shop's simplicity that makes this Cologne a hit.

A great barber style freshness with an elegant twist

It has got a mediterranean touch, deep down, "Tuscany style" and in my opinion this is the key to this fragrance.

Fresh - uncomplicated yet elegant - well constructed.

An all year style - even after the gym, makes this Cologne a great hidden number.

Last well on the skin but this is not a bold sillage fragrance.

Citrus fresh with very light herbs and spices

I am normally not a big fan of splash bottles - this fragrance is a splash style Cologne, a few drops in your hands massaged on the skin - is perfect.

Jermyn street is full of little treasures that need to be discovered - "Shaving shop" is one of them - the Shop is a must to visit !!!
20th January, 2011 (last edited: 28th January, 2011)

Nantucket Briar by Crabtree & Evelyn

Women women - I find this one ultra conservative - with a strong statement of standards and a superb longevity

Powdery - flowery and the ambergris do make this great scent a Vintage/Classic style

Superbly constructed

It would be great if more ladies wear this one instead of the ultra marketed gloomy high street scents - this one has class and power
21st September, 2010

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

For Davidoff - For Calvin Klein

But not for Chanel

Put Antaeus next to Blue and it will turm Green of desire.

Hummm Chanel did not need Blue

Ajaccio Violets by Geo F Trumper

It is so floral classic and so Violet-y that I will actually put it in a Modern Goth style !!!! yes I do !!!!!

(I can see you frowning)

I actually like the stuff - yes I could imagine that the style would even suit some rock and roll white faced punk !!!

Very unusual and different it is classic with a big C super soft shirt and tailored suit...

......then again I can see some dark rebelion in it is lovely Violet juice - by contrast of course - a little bit like Billy Idol swearing only by L'ombre dans l'eau !!!!

I dare the young ones to wear Violets with their piercings and dark T shirts - Now that's cool !!!

super thumbs up !!!

Spanish Leather by Geo F Trumper

It is a Yes from me

It has got the clean and well groomed animal in it.

This one has got the all seasons bonus.

In a suit or rugged jeans - - - - - - but maybe not at the gym !!

A fresher leather that kept its masculinity and class well balanced

West Indian Lime by Crabtree & Evelyn

I like it very much,
It is the Vetiver that makes the scent for me - very fresh and green

It does leave a good close to the skin statement

I would use this one for spring - summer and Sienna from C&E in winter/autumn

A Royal Classic !!!
06th August, 2010 (last edited: 21st September, 2010)

Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn

I like it

It is still - calm and aromatic with a reconforting warmth

It is simple and classic

It has got the scent "from the exotic travels"

A great etiquette that will never date

20th April, 2010

Only The Brave by Diesel

A joke,

Diesel seems to take its younger customers for a drive and it is a cheap one !!!!

A complete and utterly waste of money - and this is expensive !!!!

Great bottle !!! but that is the only good news !!!

I rarely give a bad review - this is one of them

dont buy

17th January, 2010

Uncharted by Crabtree & Evelyn

Well this will not break eather your bank account or you nose buds !!!

However this is a well done fresh/sweet modern fragrance - uncomplicated -

Easy going and even sporty street style

Long lasting cherfull little number

A true Sunday escape - old jeans and snickers !!!

20th October, 2009

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

A very very nice winter scent

A peppery warmth with a touch of sweetness

It is in the league of the Classics - Retro - Vintage scents - so not 2010 that it fits right in !!

Great life on the skin

I think this one should be kept secret as we all like something unusual and personal.

Formal/evening summers only - but a big bold wintery scent

Thumb thumb thumb ups
16th October, 2009 (last edited: 08th November, 2009)

American Crew Classic Fragrance by American Crew

I like it !!

Classic - nearly timeless !! and this one is not 2009 as it is not 1990 !!

Not your average lovely fruity/lemony - it has got some citrus but it has been fuelled with spices

It has got a great smell of well groomed and it does go well with all the Classic line from American Crew>
BUT in my opinion it does have a little bit of wildeness in it - just enough to make really interesting and naughty !! - I would explain this by saying that this scent goes very well with men's natural scent.

So this will not break ground or your bank account - but this is well made and it has a bit of an animal punch into it

I recommend it
02nd April, 2009 (last edited: 20th April, 2009)

Bouquet de la Reine by Floris

Once again - this a mixture of classic and modern (like JF)

A celebration of different colors of flowers but it is the rose that do stand out with the jasmin and ylang ylang.

I can only juge this one on a testing paper so I can not talk about the base notes as they do mix with skin scent

"Scientifically" - perfectly balanced - it is a very well choregraphed "balet" fit for a Queen !!

I think celebration is the right word to describe this scent - with white gloves and plenty of red velvet ..... and a young twink in the eye.

This is not a trendy or commercial scent - this is Floris and a signature - in three words -
IT IS BEAUTIFULL

An imperial Thumb up !!!
25th November, 2008

Tova by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills

Oh dear - it is just that - who wants the whole actres selling drama from QVC everytime she talks about her products.
24th October, 2008

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

ROBBERY
It is like a bottle of Dom Perignon filled with Lambrusco - respect for customers is gone for good !!
22nd September, 2008

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

I was lucky enough to try this "creation" at Saks in new york while on holiday

The name actually evoke the scent - the rose is there but shadowed by a kind of freshness.

A total masterpiece in modern perfumery.

This is impossible to describe - it can only be experienced

Billy Idol said - he would be lost without this scent - just for the quote !!!

I am not sure if I will actually wear this one - but for sure - it is a great creation

A bit somber - a bit rebel - a bit goth .......... but so much more

Hard to find - rare - expensive - unique - everthing you want from a SECRET scent
Unlike flashy bottles "supermarket" EDT -
you have got here a Mercedes hidden in a simple glass bottle !!!

Saks New York - Liberty London - proof of a great pedegree !!
22nd September, 2008

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

It is the freshness and the jasmin that makes this scent a hit - yes the spices are there ............. but it is the huge amount of jasmin that carries the whole notes together......... it is very well balanced and stays trully masculin.

It is not too heavy - reminding us that the 80s are far gone - so I would call it Modern - with one Old and Classic ingredient that put it in the Barber style Cologne - and that is soooooo 2008.

I have not tested something similar over the years so nothing to compare it with - another good point.

Actually I think the Blue color of the Cologne and the packaging of the range do reflect well the "springy" style.

What I do like with this scent is that it can be worn anytime - business - week end etc.....(I have tried it in summer yet !!)

It would not surprise me that some younger customer do get this one to get away from the scent fashion trends.

It is good to have something just for men for a change and this Company caters for us ONLY - GREAT

23rd June, 2008

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Like a pre-roting fruit salad - bored of it after 1 hour -
12th June, 2008

Special No. 127 by Floris

Actually in small amount it is perfect for everyday -
For sure - it is a specialist scent - not grand, not in your face - but very Special .............127.
10th April, 2008

Lavender by Floris

You must be a lavender "person" to appreciate a good Lavender ???
Not at all - this one is fresh but not "harsh" and well lasting.

I would not call it a 100% classic lavender (the one you can get in any corner shop !!!) this is delicate -refined and elegant.

A Class on its own !!!

04th April, 2007

Fleur by Floris

The young or young at heart Floris
It is a Classic bouquet that Floris has as "Fleur" probably my favorite Floris olfactive experience - timeless and Chic.
A very well balanced fragrance - smart and happy.
A firework of white flowers but no blindness - perfect.

Perfect

04th April, 2007

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

The scent will not give you an "earthquick" orgasm but in my opinion this the most BEAUTIFULL and ORIGINAL presentation ever for a perfume.

I am normally agaisnt all beautifull bottle with "bad" scent but the perfume itself is good here.

The "snow flake souvenir glass" style is replaced with a women and gold leaves - it is just the most original presentation and yes it is just taking a simple idea and develop it.

Well done to the designer

a trippple thumb up

01st April, 2007

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I just come back from "the center" and gave a good spray of "fleur du Male" and I am furious that million will buy it maybe because the white bottle will become a must have - but frankly the "NOSE" behind this scent is taking us for a ride ------ and a big one.

THIS IS AS FLAT AS A BOTTLE CRYSTAL CHAMPAGNE WITHOUT BUBBLES.

I thought LE MALE was a great creation but not for me - but "Fleur du Male" is just so not original it has all the Jean paul Gaultier style but no charactere with just a spray I smell everybody and that is not good.
The problem with this scent by the time you purchase it - it is already PASSE and SO WHAT.
LOVELY BOTTLE AND PRESENTATION but this once again NOT ENOUGH.
With a white bottle like that I was waiting something soooo unusual and It felt FLAT.

This is why I think Niche Perfumers are doing sooooo well.

I rarely give thumbs down but I dont know why anybody should spend money on a lovely bottle that smells NEARLY bad - unless you walk with the bottle around your neck

Laurent