Reviews by MsElleEmme

Anaïs Anaïs Eau Légère by Cacharel

Honey, powdery and warm - like the nectar of a native Australian flower. This reminds me of something from my childhood that I can't quite pinpoint. It doesn't remind me at all of the original Anais Anais. It's something completey different. I love it!

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Tovah's description (below) is lovely. If you could bottle your first love, this is it. It's warm, sensual and enveloping. Kenzo perfumes are so incredible, they're like bottled emotions. I don't know anything that smells like this one. I love Amour.

Amarige Mariage by Givenchy

My man doesn't like this one, and I don't really blame him. It's lovely after 8 hours, but for most of the day I'm wishing it would disappear a little and get to the vanilla wood base. As first it's so strong and even one spray is too much, it's overbearing. I respect the fragrance for it's richness and unique combination of florals and woods. I certainly wouldn't compare it to Angel, as others here have. It's nothing like it and it's not a gourmand. I'll still wear the 30ml bottle until it's gone, on occasions that will allow it, but I won't buy it again.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

This is one of my favourites in my wardrobe. It's dark and mysterious and sexy, but warm and inviting. It reminds me of the movie The Dark Crystal, probably because of the purple bottle. But the bottle is very descriptive of this perfume - deep purple is a perfect colour I think. Someone else said "green edges", I think that's spot on. I have syneasthesia, so when I smell a scent I see colours and textures. Absolute thumbs up - I would almost go as far as saying it may become my signature scent one day when I'm done "sleeping around".

Amor Amor by Cacharel

It's sweet and fruity but oriental and definitely sexy, day or night. It's one for warmer seasons. It reminds me of Angel Schlesser Essential. I feel exotic when I wear it, it's a thumbs up for me.

Paris Premières Roses by Yves Saint Laurent

It isn't as strong as Paris, but that's the point. Instead of smelling like 1000 roses, you will smell like 50, with some other flowers in the bouquet. I love this scent, but I don't love Paris, it's very one dimensional to me. Premieres Roses has a bit more to it and the rose isn't as potent and in-your-face. Love it!

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I completely agree with ubuandibeme's description. "Fresh at first spritz, this mix evolves into a floriental/gourmand with wonderfully polite and feminine sillage" is an excellent way of putting it.

I couldn't wear this in winter. It's a fragrance that goes nicely on a summer holiday or party. It's light hearted, but will still be taken serious enough with it rosey dry-down. Don't know anything like it!

Versus Time for Pleasure by Versace

It's very sweet and refreshing, but there's something missing. Warmth - it's missing warmth and depth. It reminds me of a pink Lifesaver lolly. I can't decide whether it's for hot whether or if it's a little too sweet for that. Because it's a little confusing for me, I give it a neutral, even though I have it and will continue to wear it until it's gone.

Baby Rose Jeans by Versace

I always get compliments when I wear this, from young and old. Yes, it's powdery, sweet and rosey and kids could probably wear it, but so could my grandma. It's very feminine, clean and delicate. Not for hot weather, but it suits autumn, winter and spring. I love this one.

Red Jeans by Versace

I'm almost out of Red Jeans. As someone said before, it's very 90's. It brings back memories of that era, I was in high school. It's a happy and bold fragrance. It's linear, so it won't change much. What you smell straight up is pretty much what you get for the rest of the day. Definitely daytime wear. When I'm done with this bottle I think it'll the end of an era for me.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I totally agree with maramica. For me it is a love/hate relationship with Angel. Perhaps it is beautiful, but not on the skin. Perhaps it could be used as room fragrance, or a kitchen deoderiser since it smells like a melted pot of chocolate, vanilla and caramel. The bottle is beatiful, but it doesn't represent the nature of this scent. It's deceiving because it isn't angelic, it's devilish. When I smell it, I lose my appetite because I feel like I've eaten a slice of the richest devil's cake. I gave it to a friend who smelled it on my arm and loved it. I was happy to give it to a good home, because it isn't cheap.

The perfume 'Angelica' by Jacques Phillippe is identical to Angel. Even the packaging is similar. So if you're looking for a less expensive option, wear Angelica and tell everyone it's Angel. They won't be able to tell the difference, seriously!

I rarely do this because I'm normally so tolerant, but I have to give this one the thumbs down, I can't wear it.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

This not the best aquatic there is. It was just heavily marketed and then becoming a topseller made it all the more popular. There's really too much chemical smell for me to enjoy it. I don't feel comfortable wearing it, it's not a comforting scent. Too much white flowers and it can smell off, especially if you get the tail end of it. Unfortunately it has been done to death and reminds me of 14 yr old school girls.

Samsara by Guerlain

For me this is strictly a summer perfume. I much prefer the dry down after a couple of hours than the top and middle notes - the middle smells like coconut to me. That is why I can only do it in summer. The base notes left on my clothes by the end of the day are delicious. I have a lot of respect for Samsara, but I'm afraid it doesn't suit me.

Ibiza Hippie by Escada

Some people just take perfume too seriously. This is not one to wear to work or anywhere that you want to be taken seriously. The same with all the other Escada summer scents. It's lovely and refreshing and is probably only good for one summer holiday, which is what Escada are aiming for - you to buy one every summer. I love the fresh berries and the creamy dry down. I feel like splashing it all over when it's hot.

Magnetism by Escada

Sweet berries, green, vanilla and musk. Very alluring. To me, a gourmand. Not to be sprayed 10 times all over the body, as I've noticed some women do. It's better with two sprays - max. I have had a male ask me what I was wearing, although he is gay. I give this a thumbs up, but it should be used appropriately - not bathed in on a humid summer's day.

Wish by Chopard

This is a favourite. I definitely agree on the similarities to Angel, but I feel Angel is the ugly, obnoxious sister. For me this is a gourmand, but not sickly like some. I don't find it as strong as Lolita Lempicka. Wish has a long-lasting berry note that lasts on my skin and isn't overpowered by the vanilla. I don't pick up any floral in this. It's luxurious and rewarding, even if it doesn't last for 8 hours.

Aimez-Moi by Caron

Violets! I love Violets. It also has the effervescence and sweetness of lemonade (in Australia we call Sprite lemonade). It is very sweet, not sexy. I like it because of its indivuiduality, no one has ever heard of it when they ask me what I'm wearing. And it has serious staying power. I don't smell the anise in it, I don't even like licorice! But I like this one, thumbs up.

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

4711 is clean and refreshing after a shower. I don't think it's meant to be an all day perfume. I think it's supposed to be exactly what it is, something to make you smell and feel fresh after a bath or shower. I love that you can spray it all over and it doesn't get stronger. It's not glamorous or sexy and I think it's even suitable for children, much better than those Barbie and Disney perfumes. I keep this in my shaving cabinet, not my wardrobe. It's one of the oldest perfumes still available today and it's legendary.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I wore A la Nuit on my wedding day, 2 years ago today on Hamilton Island (a tropical island in Australia). I bought it specifically for that day. It was absolutely perfect for the occasion. Now whenever I smell it, it reminds me of the island and the whole experience. I recommend any bride do this - with any chosen perfume - that way you always associate that smell with the day and sometimes smells can bring back memories better than photos.

And whoever said men don't like A la Nuit is wrong. My husband loves it, I think it's simplicity is perfect for men, on a woman. It's not androgenous to me at all, but each to their own.

Absolu by Rochas

I don't find this flowery at all. I find it almost gourmand. It isn't for the aquatic lover. It's heavy & dark but I wouldn't toss it in the ''older woman" pile. I picture this on a beautiful young Spanish woman wearing next to nothing and red lipstick. It's that type of woman that will get away with wearing Absolu on any night. I say night because the daylight is too harsh. It will only carry its mystique at night. It's quite bold at first, but after a few hours its edges soften to a lovely warm, sexy, welcoming aura.

Acqua di Giò by Giorgio Armani

It is interesting how many different takes there can be on one perfume. It all comes down to past olfactory associations from our pasts and, quite simply, individual taste.

I find Acqua Di Gio to be equal parts floral, fruity and aquatic. Overall it makes me think of the sea and conjures images of the mediterranean in summer, even though I have never seen it. Like many Armani perfumes, it isn't long lasting. But it is to be expected of a fragrance of this nature. You cannot have a soft, fresh aquatic last all day. Perfumes like this will only smell fresh while they are fresh on the skin.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Yes it's a little skanky, as an_oud_girl hilariously put it. But when I wear I can't stop smelling my wrist all day. I find myself thinking it's hot and then thinking it's a little too hooker. But expensive hooker, I think. A high end escort in 1965. It's a perfume that should be used thoughtfully and sparingly. Don't wear it to your boyfriend's parent's place, a job interview. Do wear it to a rock concert or hot date. Although I defend this perfume, I give it a neutral as I don't think it's very convincing on me.

Adrienne Vittadini by Adrienne Vittadini

It's such an interestingly layered scent, and like feotidus says below, it's difficult to categorise. So the best way to describe it is warm, citrus, mossy and soapy. I have received compliments from women, but not from men. Mind you, I don't often get compliments from men about my perfume. I think most of them don't notice or don't care what it is, it just smells "nice". My brothers notice and usually ask. Perhaps the skill runs in the family? Anyway, back to the perfume in question. I give it a thumbs up for its uniqueness because the only thing that comes close in having similar traits is Dolce & Gabbana.

212 Sexy by Carolina Herrera

I have to agree with syidi_radzi about the transition between top to bottom notes being disjointed - if that's what is meant by "disaster". But for some this trait is not a disaster. Some enjoy an unorthodox, slightly odd mixture in a fragrance. It reminds me of 80's fashion, with it's conflicting loud colours and textures. So for me it's an 80's scent. I have to say I don't enjoy it until 2 hours after I put it on. It's much better at the end of the night, perhaps in bed - hence the name 'Sexy'. Sexy is not always sophisticated or mysterious. This is not for the fussy fragrance connoisseur. So I defend 212 Sexy, but give it a neutral rating.

212 White by Carolina Herrera

If you could bottle white flowers & white musk, this is it. I really find this perfume delicious, but it should be used sparingly. Only one or two sprays needed, any more and you won't be able to hear yourself think. Like many Herrera fragrances, this one will stay in your clothes forever and a day (if you know 212 for men, you'll understand). It's modern and clean and after wearing it all day its incredibly sexy aura lingers. It won't leave you until you wash it off, with soap. Herrera perfumes tend to do that, so perhaps it's for those who wear one signature scent because this could easily become you.

24, Faubourg Eau Délicate by Hermès

Orange blossom is the note that stands out for me and the packaging reflects exactly how is smells. It's a warm, happy fragrance that suits spring and summer. Although not overly complex, it's sophisticated. I can't imagine it offending any nose, accept for perhaps the mature-type that enjoys heavy, dry woody & mossy scents (which I also like, but I think I am an anomaly).

273 Indigo by Fred Hayman

The bottle makes this perfume seem older than it is, although I am in my 20's and I'm going to be bold and say it's probably marketed to women 20 years older than me. Initially I love it's soft muskiness but the dry down is a little too peppery for my liking. Perhaps in 20 years I'll love it. My mum seems to like them more spicey and peppery as she gets older. For now I give it neutral, I'm on the fence with this one.