Reviews by Ranger

Ranger's avatar
    Ranger

Nuit Noire by Mona di Orio

My favorite perfume for my wife to wear for an intimate evening together. It's so strong it practically makes my eyes water, and I start salivating like Pavlov's dog (Not literally, but you get the picture). Strong floral and civit up front that dies down slowly, but never really disappears as the woody, ambery base develops. A near opposite in terms of smells, but similar in strength to another favorite, Angel. Both are up front, in your face, and decadent. Both make great role playing perfumes. A definate try first. Thumbs way up!

09th February, 2010

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A choice classic as most everyone here has stated. A green herbal blast at the onset with a honeyed mossy tobacco heart and base. A little soapy, somewhat of a barbershop smell, a precursor to Azzaro. I prefer this in the warmer months and Azzaro in cooler weather. Dirt cheap. An easy, casual scent. Great bottle.

07th January, 2010

Cozé 02 by Parfumerie Generale

The canapa sativa seed oil is great in this. I smell it from top through drydown. Along with it, the dark bitter chocolate stays just at the edges never leaving the stage completely. Coffee and spices peek in and out at different times. There is a certain flux of scents until the drydown when the vanilla creeps in and barely sweetens the whole. Long lasting but stays close to the body. Each time I wore Coze, I liked it better and better. I also liked it more with an additional spray or two. It really brings out all the magic. I could wear this anytime.

Aramis by Aramis

The more I wear Aramis the more I like it. I guess it's because there aren't many chypres out there, as the trend lately has been incense and sweetness, that this can be tough to appreciate. This is what my father and relatives smelled of when I was growing up. Not necessarily Aramis, though I'm sure many wore this, but a leathery, mossy, masculine scent. Belongs in the group of scents that include Guerlain Vetiver, Caron Yatagan, Givenchy Gentleman, and more recently Ormonde Man and Bond #9 Hot Always. No emasculation in this lineup.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

This is a fierce cold weather perfume. Strong patchouli, chocolate and vanilla that wears like an edible massage oil. It's great on my woman, and when I come home late from work and smell this, I get really, how should I say, hungry. There is nothing coy or shy about this scent. While this may have been worn by everyone when this came out, I just don't smell it around anymore.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Probably my favorite Serge Lutens out of the ten I've tried. Very good sillage and longevity. And the scent, well, this may be heretical, but what I smell is an oriental Kouros. I'm not kidding ... the incense, the honey, the edginess, but with the typical Lutens base. It's great stuff.

22nd October, 2009

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Have to agree with Redbeard and the connection to Bel Ami, although I think this is a solid frag. I've had the cocktail shaker bottle of Bel Ami and this is very close to that scent. Not as powerful in my opinion, nor as long lasting, but very good none the less. And for the price, if you like powerful scents and don't want to spring for a bottle of Bel Ami, this is your juice.

22nd October, 2009

Fireside by Sonoma Scent Studio

My first impression was Lonestar by Tauer. I actually liked this better. Not as sweet as Lonestar, but I still get a root beer sort of tobacco gasoline smell. Lasting power is adequate but definately not great. All said, a solid perfume. My favorite of the ones I've tried from Sonoma (ambre noir, tabac aurea and winter woods).

19th August, 2009

Lonestar Memories by Tauer

It's really not bad. I just wouldn't purchase this. It smells to me like a root beer float bought from a back roads gasoline station. More sweet than I anticipated, and while that's not bad, it's not what I was looking for. Original for sure; I haven't smelled anything quite like it. This could be great for some people.

20th June, 2009

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This is not bad at all. As mentioned by nearly everyone, the ginger really stands out making this a good summer scent, with a little tobacco, tea and woods in the background. The thing is, Carre d'as by Patricia Nicolai is better and for a lot less money. Try them both before buying.

18th June, 2009

New York by Nicolaï

The first niche scent I tried where all the phases are completely noticeable and outstanding, blending seamlessly together to form one impressive fragrance. A perfect citrus opening with some nice spices showing up quickly. Then, a magnificent moss and vetiver followed by an ambery/vanilla drydown. A Habit Rouge for this generation (and better in my opinion). This has perfect sillage and longevity. A must have. Five stars. And, I must add, there has been many comparisons of this fragrance to NYC, but, this is called simply New York, and that encompasses a far greater range of scents than the city itself. Thumbs way up!

17th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th December, 2010)

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Outstanding amber scent! This is a beast that lasts forever with a camphorous blast at the onset that settles very little for the duration. One of the best scents of its kind. Heavy, rich, unreal sillage and longevity. Only downside for me is a very powdery drydown.

17th June, 2009 (Last Edited: 02nd November, 2009)

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

The first niche scent my wife and I both liked and that I had to own immediately. From the opening long into the drydown, this has become one of my favorite scents. It is warm, dry, spicey, woody, with a background of amber that doesn't overpower. Five stars.

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

Currently, one of the best scent I have worn, and possibly my favorite. I didn't know what it was that I particularly liked about this until I tried OJ Woman, and knew it must be the hemlock and oudh combination (the woman also containing the hemlock but not the oudh). Beautiful citrus blast in the opening followed by the haunting hemlock and oudh that lasts forever. The sillage is excellent and the longevity is outstanding. The prices at OJ just went up about 10 pounds, but this is easily worth the price. My only problem, my wife can't stand it, so it's a guys out only scent. Five stars.

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

Spectacular combination of anise, pepper, mint and amber. I love this, but more importantaly, so does my wife. I can wear this anytime, anywhere, in any season. Great price for this outstanding fragrance. Excellent sillage and longevity. Five stars.

Vetiver by Guerlain

This one took a few tries before I came to appreciate the scent of vetiver and to distinguish the other notes. At first all I got was soap. A few weeks later I tried it again, and the citrus and cedar arrived. The next time I wore this, it all came together. A very dry fragrance that I wear anytime, anywhere. Another scent that for the money makes some niche scents look positively overpriced.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

A huge lemony, sharp spiced opening. The first few times I tried this it was hard to appreciate, but soon it all clicked. A simple vetiver, spice and citrus scent where simplicity is obviously the goal. Great for warm weather. Also, a must try for those interested in the history of men's fragrance. Blows away the warm weather aquatics of today.

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

A wet spice bowl locked in a medicine bag. Really, not that dramatic after the fragrances that have been released since this one came out. It has average sillage and longevity. Not bad, but nothing special.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I tried this with very little expectations and was blown away. All of the notes work so seemlessly together. I'm amazed that a scent that costs so little could be so much better than most of the niche scents I've tried in the last six months. Unreal sillage and longevity. Easy on the application if wearing to the office. You'll still smell it at the end of the day. Best value for the money, period.

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

It's all been said before. A tangy citrus opening with a quick drydown to mossy cedar. Very nice, masculine, would work well in warmer weather. Just doesn't last that long on me to justify buying. If you have money to burn though, this may be a go to fragrance.

11th February, 2009

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Much more mild than the reviews lead me to believe. An orange, fruit cake sort of smell that surrounds a woody, musky drydown. It really didn't have much lasting power on me. It also stayed close to my skin. My wife barely noticed. Not offensive, just not for me.

10th February, 2009

Antaeus by Chanel

My previous review stated all I got from this was Irish Spring soap. Tried it again recently and definately liked it more. I find that with most of my favorites, my opinion changed the more I sampled the scent fully. I am upgrading to a tepid thumbs up, but this could change with more applications. I got more transition in the notes this time, similar to how Aramis became a well rounded scent the more I tried it.

Update: Now a solid thumbs up. After sampling over a half dozen times more, I now rate this scent a solid 4+.

09th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th December, 2010)

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

A light, clean, fresh and citrusy fragrance that reminds me of the first Armani I wore in the 80's. I'm just not that into this type anymore. Neutral rating.

09th February, 2009

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I didn't find this edgy at all. Rather, an average musky, leathery vanilla that has good sillage and good lasting power. A friend of mine wears this and it is very distinctive on him, though until I tried it, I didn't know what he wore. Good on him, not for me though.

09th February, 2009

Santos Concentrée by Cartier

I don't know about the regular Santos, but this one holds its own. Masculine, but not as in your face as other 80's power scents, Santos Concentree is a close, deep, woody fragrance that to me is better than Antaeus, Kouros, Obsession, Fahrenheit, nearly as good as Bel Ami (but not quite). Unfortunately for me, this didn't last the night, four hours max on my skin. A thumbs up for the scent, but I wouldn't buy this due to the lack of staying power.

08th February, 2009

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow! I haven't smelled this since 1981 when it first came out. I bought this after high school graduation, my first cologne purchase. I thought the bottle was cool and didn't know a thing about fragrance (I don't know that much now either for that matter). My scent memory was immediate when I sampled this again. I barely applied any to my skin and it exploded in my face. What a composition! Intense, forward, unafraid, very little nuance. I appreciate the presence. What others smell as urine/urinal cake, I smell heavy, decaying vegetation. My wife actually doesn't turn her nose up to this one. Gotta appreciate that.

08th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This was the last fragrance I purchased (in 1988) before I stopped wearing cologne for the next 20 years (I recently became interested again in Dec. 2008 when I was searching for a perfume for my wife). An instant olfactory recognition. It seems like yesterday when I was wearing this (along with Kouros, Tuscany and the first Armani). It still has a fine clean but deep scent. As other reviewers have commented, Fahrenheit is like the two sides of a coin, bright and dark, fresh and sultry, cold and warm. Also, my wife loves it.

08th February, 2009 (Last Edited: 15th July, 2009)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Initially, I enjoyed the spicy sweet and rich smell of Burberry London. Couldn't imagine wearing this anytime other than December. After a half dozen times, I lost interest in this scent (never a good sign) and prefer other offerings. Not bad, just not great.

09th December, 2008

Brit for Men by Burberry

Too floral, too powdery, too mild. Good for my son, maybe (he's 2).

09th December, 2008

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

By the second wear I was hooked. The first time was an sensory (scensory) overload. But, like some things that repel at first, I quickly couldn't wait to try it again. After the drydown, this liquid is is a perfect menage a trois of scents.

05th December, 2008