Reviews by sjohnjay

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Smells like my cat after coming inside, from being out in the snow.

03 July, 2014

Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

It's a shame this is not available anymore, but I can see why. The ingredients are obviously of superior quality, thus making it difficult and expensive to source.
    AA is sophisticated and nonchalant. By far the greenest of the old-school Creeds, with an immaculate and long-lasting lemon note that endures for several hours.

24 November, 2013

1725 Casanova by Histoires de Parfums

Invasion Barbare's drier twin

If Invasion Barbare gets a 10/10 score, then I would give this 9/10.

Very similar (in vibe and actual scent) to IB, but drier.

It also differs, in that it seems a tad more powdery, "diffuse," and lacks the perfectly 'pointed head' that makes IB a total masterpiece.

Recommended for those who do OR don't own IB.

Pros: A perfect classic masculine barbershop EDP
    Cons: none

08 June, 2013

Invasion Barbare / SB by MDCI

I'll start with my disclaimer: I typically don't wet my pants because of my fondness for a fragrance.......This is different.
    I found my "Holy Grail." I have spent almost a decade (and several thousand $$) in this hobby, yet I have never been moved or inspired by any scent, anywhere close to this.
    After having it for a couple weeks, I am actually a little bit tempted to sell ALL of my endless sea of bottles on Ebay....So I only wear this one for the rest of my life.
    This truly IS perfection, and it makes everything thing else seem undesirable to me.
    This is understated, but not necessarily conservative. This can be worn anytime and anywhere.
    Is this actually worth the price tag?
    It must be, since I purchased it voluntarily.
    10/10......Masterpiece among masterpieces.

03 March, 2013 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

It seems that Bvlgari is actually a safe/mainstream fragrance line worth exploring.
    A relatively classy aquatic scent, and a tasteful compliment-getter.
    Of course a good summer fragrance, as well as something to wear to work.

26 February, 2013

Liquid Night by A Lab on Fire

Good....but not spectacular.
    The initial hour or so reminds me of Cacharel's NEMO (if this is a sufficient reference point).
    Starts out very sweet; never truly loses all the sweetness, but progressively develops from top notes, all the way to the remaining base notes 36 hours later.
    Slowly morphs into something wild, and toward the masculine end of the "unisex" spectrum.
    A creative and intoxicating hybrid of Hinoki and Vanilla.
    Great buy for a reasonable price.

10th February, 2013

Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse

Quality stuff- sure; just not well suited for a man (my opinion, of course).
    The pear is obvious, and it then turns really fruity-sweet, almost coconutty.
    My 2.5ml sample will last me plenty.

04 November, 2012

Norne by Slumberhouse

This could be a Holy Grail, IF it were just a tad more versatile.
    Utmost quality and purity of ingredients....as is with all Slumberhouse offerings.
    Certainly coniferous/resinous, with olfactory memories of the original Polo from 1978.
    I love the Name NORNE, as it is perfectly fitting with the olfactory concept.
    Associations with year-round winter, Scandinavian Black-Metal, and Norse pagan mythology.
    I might add that this, along with all Slumberhouse fragrances, is more than worth the retail value.

04 November, 2012

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

The best variation/hybrid of Patchouli I have EVER smelled...and that IS saying a lot.
    Takes a few wearings to understand; well-blended extrait with mild nuances of amber and sweet tobacco.
    Masculine leaning, yet many females could pull this off without any trouble.
    My only issue is that longevity could be better, as this is an extrait.
    9.7/10

22 October, 2012

Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Actually I was hoping for this to be smokey, which it is not.
    Incredibly classy, yet somehow a little bit barbaric as well.
    Undeniably top quality extrait.
    Lasts FOREVER.

22 October, 2012

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

I am not impressed.
    I can't give this anything but a Negative, due to its mundane/trite execution.
    A definite low-point for CDG.
    My assessment: Take ONE part Terre d'Hermes and THREE parts Lanvin Vetiver, and you have an accurate equal to Amazingreen.

01st September, 2012 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2012)

Ormonde Man by Ormonde Jayne

I can't give this a thumbs-down, due to the fact it is very high quality, and smells really good.
    On the other hand, this is a foolish purchase.
    Ormonde Man is nothing but a EDP version of Lalique's Eau de Lalique.
    Identical except for the fact that Eau de Lalique is a tiny fraction of the price, and outlasts Ormonde Man by several hours.

07 July, 2012

Red Play by Comme des Garçons

Youthfully happy and mundane.
    Linear with no significant development or surprises.
    At first smells identical to the old peach-flavored Jolly Ranchers, lasting 15 minutes.
    Then the sweetness fades to a dry and dusty cinnamon note, which lasts the 4 or 5 hour duration.
    Ultimately this smells of potpourri.

16 June, 2012 (Last Edited: 23 June, 2012)

Andy Warhol by Bond No. 9

Dreadful.
    The scent is sickly sweet and suffocating, yet fruity and bland. No big deal, and no surprise from Bond these days.......but THAT'S just my opinion of the juice.
    I probably wouldn't have even noticed this stuff if it weren't for the offensively tacky bottle it comes in. Trash-art has reached a new low.
    Old A. Warhol would probably be rolling over in the grave if he had any clue which sewer his image has been dragged through.

29 January, 2012

Andy Warhol Montauk by Bond No. 9

Yep, another EDP-strength shampoo/body wash scent from Bond.
    To be fair, it smells OK...if you like Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise.
    Do yourself a favor and buy Beyond Paradise; it sells for 1/10 the price, and you can wear it without suffocating yoursef and everyone in a 10 foot radius.

29 January, 2012

Original Cologne by Creed

Rice powder? Pfffftttttt (scoff, scoff).......Whatever!
    All things considered (especially the $600 pricetag), this is abysmally insipid.
    The best compliment one could give this stuff, is that it smells a bit like a weak and inferior rip-off of D&G Pour Homme (which is not exactly a firecracker in my book, either).
    While I (honestly) am not picking Creed apart, or slamming their efforts just for the sake of doing so- I have to say that this has not ONE single redeeming quality.
    If you fancy the idea of a "classic" EDC-type thing, Royal Water and Selection Verte have this genre covered already.
    I was actually eagerly anticipating the U.S. release of this stuff several months ago. I was even half-minded to blindly purchase a bottle via the official Creed site. Thankfully I was able to locate some sample vials prior to making a $600 mistake.
    By far the most half-assed outing from Creed to date.
    Try before you buy.

05 September, 2011

Clean Shower Fresh for Men by Clean

You get what you pay for here, and I think the name says it all.
    A good scent to wear to work.
    Don't overdo it on the trigger; The first couple hours of wear tend to have a massive citrus/soap projection.
    If you like the way Irish Spring soap smells, this may be a safe blind buy.

30th July, 2011

Joop! Splash by Joop!

This is not unpleasant, per se.
    Also- it's a welcome and long overdue departure from the expected sweet/woody/resinous formula that Joop has been known for all these decades.
    On the other hand, it is no less sweet and candy-like than all the other Joop offerings we have become familiar with.
    This time, the ultra-cloying sweetness is centered around melon and saltwater.
    Bottom line: Sure this offering IS different than all of its older siblings.............Just not different ENOUGH to make it necessary to own in 2011.

21st July, 2011

Wolfgang Joop! by Joop!

I am impressed and surprised; this one is very overlooked and underrated.
    Far more mature than anything else Joop has released to date.
    In my opinion the BEST Joop!
    It starts out with a big blast of what I think is strawberry; this lasts for maybe 30 minutes strong, followed by a gradual tapering off into the heart and base notes, which are linear and indistiguishable from one another (assuming a "heart note" actually exists).
    From here, it is warm, rounded wood and spices.
    Lush and masculine.
    It reminds me of Mont Blanc Presence, except better, insomuch as it is richly rounded, as opposed to the jarring and chaotic clashing of Presence.
    Definitely recommended.

21st July, 2011

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

I don't know about the similarity to a catholic church, since I've never been in one.
    One of CDG's best in my opinion; high quality, realistic, and ultra-rich.
    Beautiful murkiness, and a great way to set a mood.
    I am amazed at just how wearable this is (gothic garb is not requisite).

Dover Street Market by Comme des Garçons

This is better than neutral; not because it is original for CDG (it is NOT),
    but because it is a bridge between the dusky/smoky incense series, and the gorgeous and freshly alien-vibe of CDG 3.
    Heavier and woodier than CDG 3; would actually make a decent substitute, since CDG 3 is quite difficult to come across these days.

Play by Comme des Garçons

An unexpected offering from CDG.
    Too mainstream to be considered niche; too off-center to truly be a mainstream scent.
    Very pleasant citrus that lasts from top notes, all the way to the dry base.
    Highly mesmerizing and addictive, as the saffron combines with citrus to create something highly unique.
    Projection and longevity are mediocre.

Sélection Verte by Creed

A necessary upgrade of the classic/standard "Eau de Cologne" formula.
    Better than Guerlain Imperial, simply because it LASTS on the skin.
    The subtle mint note is great, too!
    If you are a fan of classic EDC's, and own too many of them, THIS could replace ALL of them.
    To summarize- This is definitely not "ground-breaking", but it is a high quality CLASSIC.
    I recommend!!

24 April, 2011

Black Jeans by Versace

Hahahahaha!
    I hope you like bitter/dry GERANIUMS!
    It lasts long, and smells different than anything else.
    Good for a wear on a cool, overcast day.

24 April, 2011

Aqua Motu / Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

If you like this, I recommend Fire Island, by Bond No. 9.
    Fire Island is far superior, in terms of quality of ingredients, projection, and longevity.
    Both create the same vibe.

07 April, 2011

S-ex by S-Perfume

Simply, and subtlely, striking!
    I DO get some salt, LOTS of malt, and a TON of long-lasting & ultra-quality "skin musk".
    I have found a new favorite, which will undoubtedly be used in heavy rotation this summer.
    I am impressed by this.
    I find it to be the most amazing and creative fragrance available.
    Did I mention I really like this?

07 April, 2011

Bois de Santal by Creed

The "civet" note is definitely there, yet short-lived.
    The rest is extremely soft, rich, and long-lasting.
    A very fine take on sandalwood.
    Worth owning, if you can find it!

03 April, 2011

Aventus by Creed

Extremely masculine and sophisticated. Excellent longevity.
    Easily the best male CREED offering in 20+ years.
    Good for day & evening wear.
    Aventus has an awesome oakmoss base, which stabilizes everything on top.
    I *hate* apples when used in fragrance, so I was apprehensive about Aventus.
    Fortunately, the apples are done tastefully, lending a supportive note, as opposed to being a prominent note.
    This will probably have to satiate all male CREED fans until 2027; as their good releases are increasingly fewer and farther between.

09 October, 2010

Original Vetiver by Creed

This was my very first CREED purchase, made back in 2005 or so.
    I was totally enamored with it, and the love lasted for about 3 or 4 weeks.
    Now I can take it or leave it. Basically, its a richer, full-bodied version of Mugler Cologne (higher quality, too).
    It smells clean, soapy, and invigorating, and it has adequate longevity.
    It also has a tendency to be a little bit brash.

20th September, 2010

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

Holy balls!
    This is an interestingly abstract rendering of a "pamplemousse" fragrance.
    delicate white flowers are tempered with robust and musty grapefruit.
    Also, there is a really in-your-face coriander-ish accord (much like the one present in EROLFA).
    Most suited for summer wear.
    Very classy and dignified scent; it does not smell dated, considering it was introduced in 1975.

20th September, 2010