Reviews by Lian

Gentle Fluidity (Silver Edition) by Maison Francis Kurkdjian

The most boring fragrance that I ever tried. It literally evokes nothingness to my nose. I smell it, but it leaves me blank and bored.
20th August, 2019

Ilanguara by Phaedon

For me the woody notes stop is from being sickly sweet and give it a tiny edge of interest. It is a comfort scent though without being sugary
23rd May, 2019

My Own Private Teahupo'o by A Lab on Fire

Aria di Mare dupe. The name of this is cooler because it is infamous with surfers and I'm a beginner surfer.
01st May, 2019

What We Do In Paris Is Secret by A Lab on Fire

On paper it smells rather powdery. Not much nuance
01st May, 2019

Poison Pear by Voronoi

I love this for being a nice juicy pear and it reminds me of pear juice and ice cream. It's refreshing and lovely, but then it just becomes a generic gourmand with no lasting power.

Cassis Vert by Voronoi

Only got a hint of blackcurrant during the opening while it was fighting the generic "green" notes. It kinda reminds me of Aura where the opening is spectacular and then it fades. Within minutes it was a nice fig perfume. Not special enough for me, and I know nicer fig scents that are creamier and more suited to me.

Experimentum Crucis by Etat Libre d'Orange

It reminds me of a less sparkly Serge Lutens Sa Majesté la Rose . The patchouli makes it a little dirtier and almost gives this one oud vibes. It's a nice perfume, but not groundbreaking. The opening is very different from Sa Majeste la Rose, but the middle and end makes it harder to distinguish.

Utopia by Aqualis

On paper the smell evolved and changed hugely, from a fresh and easy to wear start to dirty dry leather. Will try on skin soon
23rd April, 2019

Lalibela by Memo

I had high hopes for this, and they arent met. When I smelled it in the store it was light, floral but with surprising notes that made it stand out. On the skin vanilla dominates utterly and I might as well wear any number of the good and interesting vanilla takes that I own. Those are often found for cheaper from less mainstream places. I dont mind paying a lot for perfume but it has to be novel, stand out as something unique. PR copy and pretty bottles arent enough.
16th March, 2019

Ilha do Mel by Memo

White flowers fragrance that is friendly, very feminine and inoffensive. I was expecting a lot more. It smelled better in the vial, but wearing it there isnt much depth to it on me. For the price there are so many cheaper options that are in the same vein ( kiss me tender is one)
15th March, 2019

Miyako by Auphorie

It's good but I'm not blown away? Maybe I need to use more, but the sample is rather small.
I'll report back
12th December, 2018

Nolita by Bond No. 9

Early 2000's are back with a fruity, clean and fresh perfume. Instead of apple it is tangerine that is features here. It's decent, but not my cup of tea.
03rd September, 2018

Pink Fresh Couture by Moschino

"If you cant say anything nice, don't say anything at all " -> nice bottle!

Juice is standard, unimaginative and boring. It's fresh, fleeting and chemically harsh. It's a standard fruity floral but fresh scent that us unoffensive and unmemorable.
15th August, 2018

Interlude Man by Amouage

It's a sweet and fruity incense. At times it reminds me of Fanta incense and it should be a terrible combination but I like it.
09th August, 2018

Brûlure de Rose 13 by Parfumerie Generale

Rose Jam by Lush opening, which is a very syrupy and sweet rose. Unlike the Rose Jam it does have noticeable basneotes and it the sugar makes way for more grounded ambery base.
06th August, 2018

Korrigan by Lubin

Vanilla whiskey!
30th July, 2018

Le Mat by Mendittorosa

Starts of smelling of sweet hay and brings back memories of Dzing!. I like and miss Dzing! Then the rose takes over and reminds me of Voleur de Roses. The whole perfume makes me miss L'Artisan when they were good. Sadly, the chamomille is lost on me. Maybe it was the hay that I think I smelled? I liked the Dzingy opening better. I'd say 4 stars for me. It's nice and good and brings together 2 perfumes, which is cool. But I like their version of Dzing better and wanted it to continue to smell like that.
30th July, 2018

Iris Nazarena by Aedes de Venustas

A very dry iris, and leather, it reminds me of Traversée du Bosphore by L'Artisan. It is dryer and less sweet, as if you got closer to a desert. I just seem to bring out the leather mainly, in both of them. The longer I wear it, the nicer it becomes. I dont get any cigar and whatsnot. The dryness if the iris remains though. If I didnt own Traversee then I would buy this
19th July, 2018

Imitation Woman by Amouage

Rollercoaster Jasmine. The opening is spectacular and it shifts from note to note and back. Top notes very clearly evoke Jasmine & Ylang. It almost feels like a crazy sugared jasmine. Then the ylang comes in, and adds warmth. Then that fades to bring back the jasmine.

It settles down in a more tamed incense affair which makes me miss the earlier phases so much. It doesnt last long enough for me.
17th July, 2018 (last edited: 19th July, 2018)

Remarkable People by Etat Libre d'Orange

Decent masculine fragrance. Slightly interesting but not really pushing the boat into anything challenging. It's friendly, a bit fruity, a little woody, all in all very pleasant.
17th July, 2018

Nuit de Noël by Caron

Do get a sense of christmas in the drydown and while its not mentioned as official notes I do get a sense of christmas spices. I do get a sense of a scented candle though
16th July, 2018

Fate Woman by Amouage

Sampled after reading the five star review in the latest edition of the Guide. I can see the similarity of old style Guerlain in the opening of bergamot and I think the hint of pepper gives a even more classic oriental feeling. It's loud from start to finish.
As it develops you can identify different notes more or less strongly, but all in all it is a smooth, luxurious and heavy affair. Standing out are the bergamot, leather, benzoin vanilla and pepper with the bergamot fading fast.
I'll sample this more and consider buying a bottle before it is muted down in reformulations.

Can still wear it to some dinners though, just maybe use in moderation and try to wear it close to the skin if possible.
10th July, 2018

Jasmins Marzipane by Lancôme

Creamy jasmine. Think of A La Nuit, but muted down and made creamier. Remove the harsh and sharp edges and you are left with a lovely, wearable jasmine. It's soft and cuddly, but still entrancing. I'd buy a full bottle if I didnt have a million jasmine scents already. Has a nice lemony opening too.
04th July, 2018 (last edited: 01st April, 2019)

Playing with the Devil by By Kilian

It's lovely, but lasts for maybe an hour before becoming imperceptible. Might be because at the same time I was also smelling some stronger fragrances and this was the most subtle, but honestly I want my scents to linger. The hour it lasted for it was very nice though.
04th July, 2018

Chai by Baruti

Tea for Two, Dzing! and Jungle Elephant orgy. If you like those scents you have to check this out. The opening is spicy, and with a sharp black tea note as well as hay. Then it settles down a bit more, as if you added a ton of cream to it all. It smoothes out quite nicely.
23rd May, 2018

New York Nights by Bond No. 9

Smells delicious and survives a 20 min swim in a chlorinated pool.
16th February, 2018

Dent de Lait by Serge Lutens

Love the crisp opening that sparkles, and reminds me of Broadway Nite. It must be the aldehydes. It's slightly floral and then settles down in a creamy soapy skin scent that is a little metallic. All in all, it's very clean and fresh.

Not weird, not disgusting, not vile. I like that it doesnt scream coconut at you, nor almonds, insteadit all blends together into a cozy clean scent. Like bed linen that has been slept in once. You can still detect the freshly laundered feeling and scent, but it's not as pristine as it was. Still clean, but a bit more lived in.
09th February, 2018

Park Avenue South by Bond No. 9

Expensive Be delicious
09th January, 2018

Cuir Blanc by Givenchy

Whispering leather
07th January, 2018

Ella by Arquiste

Aldehyde notes mixed with floral notes and tobacco. Meant to invoke memories of 70's disco's. The aldehydes are very sparkling together with the bright florals, but the cigarette is bracing and I would have liked something that acts like a bridge between them more.

I think you can find more 'pretty' tobacco in ELDO Jasmin et Cigarette, but personally I prefer ELDO Putain des Palaces. It's more dry and smoky and less cigarette. Both are smoother and blended nicer ( better bridge between the pretty and cigarette)
22nd December, 2017