Reviews by Lian

5.1 Suede Osmanthe by Parfumerie Generale

Imagine if you had to design a fragrance for someone who likes the idea of tea for Two, but says its too dark and tea like. They want a fresher more easy to wear version of T4T. That's this perfume. It's very easy to wear because of the crisp floral notes, but it has a bit of interest due to the tea. I didnt notice any real leather or suede, but I indulged heavily on Tabac Blonde the week before trying this.
13th November, 2017

Rozy Eau de Parfum by Vero Profumo

If you have Nahema of Guerlain, ( or its easier/cheaper to purchase) then you can skip this one. It has the same bright sparkly opening and the drydown is very similar too. The same tone so to speak. I find Nahema a bit nuttier and more buttery in the drydown, but they are so similar that I dont find the need to own them both.
19th October, 2017

Replica Beach Walk by Martin Margiela

Super light version of Alien
07th July, 2017

Aura by Thierry Mugler

Green scent for people who dont like the fresh (citrus) or herbal green scents. It's warm & wet vegetation with a ton of vanilla. It's interesting and made me want to rush out and buy a bottle. However, the top notes that make it interesting, this new "green", disappears very fast and then its just a vanilla perfume. On occasion I catch that wonderful warm lush green (is that the tiger liana) but it isnt lasting enough for me.
06th July, 2017

Madison Avenue by Bond No. 9

A more chypre feeling, and expensive Be Delicious.
12th April, 2017

Gentlewoman by Juliette Has a Gun

I actually really enjoyed this scent. It's very fresh due to the citrus and blends wonderfully with sweeter scents. The combination with this and Mmmm was astounding. Mmm on its own was a dull affair but this lifted it to new heights.

On its own its strong for a fresh perfume, but it's pricey for what it is.

Mmmm… by Juliette Has a Gun

Opening was a bit flowery and fresh for a gourmande. Then it changes into a dupe for Kenzo Amour. Not paying tha money for an Kenzo Amour dupe

Queens by Bond No. 9

The opening was fruity and pleasant. You notice that there is more sweet underneath it and its far from bland and actually interesting. It's pleasant and reminded me of chinatown but maybe a bit turned down with blackberry instead of peaches.
It was nice but didnt blow me away

L'Eau Magnetic by Miller Harris

Standard aquatic. Boring, uneventful and instantly forgettable.
20th March, 2017

Midnight in the Palace Garden by 4160 Tuesdays

It's an oud perfume. Nothing groundbreaking if I'm honest, nothing too offensive either. In the dry down it turns from a strong oud to more of a woody number. I don't really notice the flower elements, there is a sweet element to it. I think its easily worn by both men and women, but it's not the most remarkable or interesting ouds there. It's nicely blended though

Longevity is surprising short, after 4 hours it became much harder to detect. I used about 0.5 ml so I'm surprised it goes so quickly.
17th January, 2017

Poison Girl by Christian Dior

Kenzo Amour had a lovechild with Poison Red. It's very vanilla sweet, a bit dry and "babypowder" like and easy to wear. It's a slightly above average vanilla number with some more gourmand notes thrown in there. I don't think the marketing matches the scent, it's a very safe and warm fragrance.
07th July, 2016

Noix de Tuberéuse by Miller Harris

On me it wears nicely, towards the end it reminds me a little of China Town. It's a warm, sweet and sultry tuberose without the sharp thorns. It gets me a lot of compliments at work, and made one guy swoon all night. It lasts forever so you should be careful overdoing it.
15th March, 2016

La Collection Croisière : Paris Seychelles by Pierre Guillaume

I really wanted to like this, and on paper I should have. I'm on a real beachy/sea and ocean fragrance kick lately. But the opening minute is awful, then it settles down into a feather light white flower nonsense. I've had more interesting and powerful deodorants than this.
14th December, 2015

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermès

I keep forgotten how nice it is to wear this fragrance. It's pretty and has some interesting underlying currents, it's more complex than Prada's Iris and it's more present than that.

I guess it's a light perfume for people who prefer more heavy perfumes. Here is a scent that can fool other people into thinking you are wearing a very PC and elevator friendly scent while you are wearing a powerhouse of an Iris perfume. It's also not as dry as other iris fragrances, no babypowder in sight.
14th December, 2015

Sleep Knot by 4160 Tuesdays

Reminds me slightly of L' Artisan Parfumeurs' Thé Pour un Été, but replace the green tea with a jasmine one. If you find Tea for Two a bit too plain and you want something more interesting in your tea scent, but you find Thé Pour un Été is too floral then this might be a good scent for you.

It's a very pleasant smell and I think it might be the pepper and sandalwood that is causing it to remind me of the tea scents from L'Artisan. I enjoy it more than The Pur un Ete because I do find it slightly too floral.

Sillage and Longevity is about the same as L'Artisan T42, not an 80's powerhouse strength but it will last a decent amount of time.
04th December, 2015

Cielo by Napa Valley Perfumes

Datura Noir with fig and some salty notes at the start. It evokes warmth and sunshine to me. Not at all what I was expecting because I thought I ordered samples of marine fragrances so I was somewhat taken aback but loved it anyway. It's so easy to wear, not very feminine at all but a pleasant smell for anyone to enjoy.

I like this one because I'm not an extreme fig lover in perfume and here the fig is definitely there but blended with white flowers to just make it different enough for me to enjoy it.
09th May, 2014

La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris

A gentle introduction to incense. Its very pleasant and warm and it has the characteristics of a incense scent ( think of the incense series by comme des garcons) but its not as harsh and unwearable.
19th March, 2013

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens

I like this insane, really it's not criminal this is just insanity in a bottle. But a little bit of crazy keeps things fun and interesting. The same applied to the treatment of Tuberose. In general I like tuberose and what various perfumers do with it. But, sometimes you get a bit bored of the buttery quality that tuberose scents can have. It all becomes more of the same.

This tuberose doesn't become buttery and think it has to do with the shock to your sense opening. The menthol freshes the whole thing up and prevents the tuberose to become that nice buttery fragrance that you find so often. No it stays cold, distant and ethereal.
13th November, 2012

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Lovely fir and sweet balsemic fragrance. It's not dry or overly woody but it has a nice sweetness to it, like candied winterfruits and maybe a hint of nutmeg and other winterspices. As if you have been hidden awake in a winter cabin for a weekend and cuddled up to a fir tree and got covered in the tree scent and then made a christmas pudding.
13th November, 2012

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

Instantly forgetable. I meant to write a nice review after trying out the sample. What happened was that after the top notes which weren't a hit with me, the rest didn't leave any impression on me whatsoever. I call that a bad thing for a perfume to do to a basenoter.
21st October, 2012

Isles Lointaines by Keiko Mecheri

It's very polite and transparant white floral. Nothing exotic, nothing sultry nor complex and heavy. If you like tiare than you can get the tiare from yves roger and get a very present fragrance for a fraction of the price here. If you are not sampling this for the tiare there are so many more rose+jasmine and amber fragrances that are much better than this one.
27th September, 2012

Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange

It starts of a bit weird and ackward, the tangerine and pepperleaf just aren't blending well enough for me. The ocrhid starts to tie it all together and then once the incense kicks in it's amazing. The drydown is pleasant and all in all a really fun,unusual but wearable fragrance. I think this could be a really nice biitter fougere for some of the male basenoters.
27th September, 2012

Attar De Roses by Keiko Mecheri

If you want to ease your way into the Oud and Roses genre this is a good entry way perfume. It approaches that combination without actually going there. I don't know if I could get away wearing Black Aoud at work, but I think this will still be acceptable without boring me to tears. At first the rose smells very light and fresh but the leather kicks in quick. I'd say this scent leans more to the feminine side than masculine if that bothers you (or not) and the longevity could be better in all honesty.

Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums

For me I can't wear this. I like my ambers pleasant, full and rich and smooth. This is very bracing and harsh and you can most definitely find the Oud in there. I like Oud but it needs something to balance it out, here there is no balance. If you like your Oud with more harshness and don't want it mellowed out, try this. I don't like it because it's not my type of scent but for what it is, it is very well done. There is a slight hint of dirtyness in here, I haven't tried Petroleum and if it's more harsh/and ramped up than this I probably won't.

Johana by Keiko Mecheri

If they had ramped up the incense note it would have been lovely. Now it's a light fresh floral that is unbelievably dull and then you get a slight hint of the incense and you are hoping it will gain in strength so it becomes interesting ( and reminds you of Angelique Encense from Creed). But no at soon as you think ' hang on, this might develop into something good' then it's gone.

Nohiba by E.Coudray

Hello strong no nonsense oriental. A little goes a long way, the woods are very strong and present in the opening and there is a touch of a powderyness to it as well and a hint of spices. It settles down quickly into something less woodsy and strong making it more feminine than the opening. Then the spices really become more present.

I would almost guess there is some cinnamon in here or somehow some notes working together give the effect of it. I think this one begs to be worn in winter time when you need a little spice to keep you going.
16th May, 2011

La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty

I first encountered La Rose Jacqueminot as a sample in a basenotes go around package. It had leaked and the while package smelled like it and it was STRONG. And heavenly. I bought a bottle on ebay and it smelled the same but weaker so I think it is a bottle from the 80's not the original issue.

You can still smell and understand what made this a great perfume. It is a masterful blend of very strong notes that are soften down by softer notes(violet). It ends up as a wonderful mix of these notes mingling with eachother and neither side really 'wins'. The only winner here is me who wears it and can enjoy this perfume that combines delicacy and persistence and strength.
15th May, 2011

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

I needed a light fresh and unoffensive scent for an occasion and on a whim decided to give this one a try. I wore it for a week and grew to love it. It is uplifting, uncomplicated but remains elegant and fun, sometimes that is exactly what you want.
03rd May, 2011

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

gourmand ginger that is wearable and not sickly sweet. Unusual enough to be interesting but not so over the top that you are afraid to wear it anywhere you'd like.
26th December, 2010

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very nice variation on jasmine, the jasmine reminds me of the type found in Thé Pour un Été. The two fragrances are pretty alike and the difference lies in the tea vs tabacco note. I think the L'Artisan is nice during summer days and the Etat libre one would be a nice one to wear when it gets a bit colder or you want your perfume to have a bit more depth.
26th December, 2010