Reviews by Lian

L'Eau Magnetic by Miller Harris

Standard aquatic. Boring, uneventful and instantly forgettable.
20th March, 2017

Midnight in the Palace Garden by 4160 Tuesdays

It's an oud perfume. Nothing groundbreaking if I'm honest, nothing too offensive either. In the dry down it turns from a strong oud to more of a woody number. I don't really notice the flower elements, there is a sweet element to it. I think its easily worn by both men and women, but it's not the most remarkable or interesting ouds there. It's nicely blended though

Longevity is surprising short, after 4 hours it became much harder to detect. I used about 0.5 ml so I'm surprised it goes so quickly.
17th January, 2017

Poison Girl by Christian Dior

Kenzo Amour had a lovechild with Poison Red. It's very vanilla sweet, a bit dry and "babypowder" like and easy to wear. It's a slightly above average vanilla number with some more gourmand notes thrown in there. I don't think the marketing matches the scent, it's a very safe and warm fragrance.
07th July, 2016

Noix de Tuberéuse by Miller Harris

On me it wears nicely, towards the end it reminds me a little of China Town. It's a warm, sweet and sultry tuberose without the sharp thorns. It gets me a lot of compliments at work, and made one guy swoon all night. It lasts forever so you should be careful overdoing it.
15th March, 2016

La Collection Croisière : Paris Seychelles by Pierre Guillaume

I really wanted to like this, and on paper I should have. I'm on a real beachy/sea and ocean fragrance kick lately. But the opening minute is awful, then it settles down into a feather light white flower nonsense. I've had more interesting and powerful deodorants than this.
14th December, 2015

Hermessence Iris Ukiyoé by Hermès

I keep forgotten how nice it is to wear this fragrance. It's pretty and has some interesting underlying currents, it's more complex than Prada's Iris and it's more present than that.

I guess it's a light perfume for people who prefer more heavy perfumes. Here is a scent that can fool other people into thinking you are wearing a very PC and elevator friendly scent while you are wearing a powerhouse of an Iris perfume. It's also not as dry as other iris fragrances, no babypowder in sight.
14th December, 2015

Sleep Knot by 4160 Tuesdays

Reminds me slightly of L' Artisan Parfumeurs' Thé Pour un Été, but replace the green tea with a jasmine one. If you find Tea for Two a bit too plain and you want something more interesting in your tea scent, but you find Thé Pour un Été is too floral then this might be a good scent for you.

It's a very pleasant smell and I think it might be the pepper and sandalwood that is causing it to remind me of the tea scents from L'Artisan. I enjoy it more than The Pur un Ete because I do find it slightly too floral.

Sillage and Longevity is about the same as L'Artisan T42, not an 80's powerhouse strength but it will last a decent amount of time.
04th December, 2015

Cielo by Napa Valley Perfumes

Datura Noir with fig and some salty notes at the start. It evokes warmth and sunshine to me. Not at all what I was expecting because I thought I ordered samples of marine fragrances so I was somewhat taken aback but loved it anyway. It's so easy to wear, not very feminine at all but a pleasant smell for anyone to enjoy.

I like this one because I'm not an extreme fig lover in perfume and here the fig is definitely there but blended with white flowers to just make it different enough for me to enjoy it.
09th May, 2014

La Fumée Arabie by Miller Harris

A gentle introduction to incense. Its very pleasant and warm and it has the characteristics of a incense scent ( think of the incense series by comme des garcons) but its not as harsh and unwearable.
19th March, 2013

Tubéreuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens

I like this insane, really it's not criminal this is just insanity in a bottle. But a little bit of crazy keeps things fun and interesting. The same applied to the treatment of Tuberose. In general I like tuberose and what various perfumers do with it. But, sometimes you get a bit bored of the buttery quality that tuberose scents can have. It all becomes more of the same.

This tuberose doesn't become buttery and think it has to do with the shock to your sense opening. The menthol freshes the whole thing up and prevents the tuberose to become that nice buttery fragrance that you find so often. No it stays cold, distant and ethereal.
13th November, 2012

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Lovely fir and sweet balsemic fragrance. It's not dry or overly woody but it has a nice sweetness to it, like candied winterfruits and maybe a hint of nutmeg and other winterspices. As if you have been hidden awake in a winter cabin for a weekend and cuddled up to a fir tree and got covered in the tree scent and then made a christmas pudding.
13th November, 2012

The Afternoon of a Faun by Etat Libre d'Orange

Instantly forgetable. I meant to write a nice review after trying out the sample. What happened was that after the top notes which weren't a hit with me, the rest didn't leave any impression on me whatsoever. I call that a bad thing for a perfume to do to a basenoter.
21st October, 2012

Isles Loîntaines by Keiko Mecheri

It's very polite and transparant white floral. Nothing exotic, nothing sultry nor complex and heavy. If you like tiare than you can get the tiare from yves roger and get a very present fragrance for a fraction of the price here. If you are not sampling this for the tiare there are so many more rose+jasmine and amber fragrances that are much better than this one.
27th September, 2012

Archives 69 by Etat Libre d'Orange

It starts of a bit weird and ackward, the tangerine and pepperleaf just aren't blending well enough for me. The ocrhid starts to tie it all together and then once the incense kicks in it's amazing. The drydown is pleasant and all in all a really fun,unusual but wearable fragrance. I think this could be a really nice biitter fougere for some of the male basenoters.
27th September, 2012

Attar de Roses by Keiko Mecheri

If you want to ease your way into the Oud and Roses genre this is a good entry way perfume. It approaches that combination without actually going there. I don't know if I could get away wearing Black Aoud at work, but I think this will still be acceptable without boring me to tears. At first the rose smells very light and fresh but the leather kicks in quick. I'd say this scent leans more to the feminine side than masculine if that bothers you (or not) and the longevity could be better in all honesty.

Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums

For me I can't wear this. I like my ambers pleasant, full and rich and smooth. This is very bracing and harsh and you can most definitely find the Oud in there. I like Oud but it needs something to balance it out, here there is no balance. If you like your Oud with more harshness and don't want it mellowed out, try this. I don't like it because it's not my type of scent but for what it is, it is very well done. There is a slight hint of dirtyness in here, I haven't tried Petroleum and if it's more harsh/and ramped up than this I probably won't.

Jōhana by Keiko Mecheri

If they had ramped up the incense note it would have been lovely. Now it's a light fresh floral that is unbelievably dull and then you get a slight hint of the incense and you are hoping it will gain in strength so it becomes interesting ( and reminds you of Angelique Encense from Creed). But no at soon as you think ' hang on, this might develop into something good' then it's gone.

Nohiba by E.Coudray

Hello strong no nonsense oriental. A little goes a long way, the woods are very strong and present in the opening and there is a touch of a powderyness to it as well and a hint of spices. It settles down quickly into something less woodsy and strong making it more feminine than the opening. Then the spices really become more present.

I would almost guess there is some cinnamon in here or somehow some notes working together give the effect of it. I think this one begs to be worn in winter time when you need a little spice to keep you going.
16th May, 2011

La Rose Jacqueminot by Coty

I first encountered La Rose Jacqueminot as a sample in a basenotes go around package. It had leaked and the while package smelled like it and it was STRONG. And heavenly. I bought a bottle on ebay and it smelled the same but weaker so I think it is a bottle from the 80's not the original issue.

You can still smell and understand what made this a great perfume. It is a masterful blend of very strong notes that are soften down by softer notes(violet). It ends up as a wonderful mix of these notes mingling with eachother and neither side really 'wins'. The only winner here is me who wears it and can enjoy this perfume that combines delicacy and persistence and strength.
15th May, 2011

Lily of the Valley by Penhaligon's

I needed a light fresh and unoffensive scent for an occasion and on a whim decided to give this one a try. I wore it for a week and grew to love it. It is uplifting, uncomplicated but remains elegant and fun, sometimes that is exactly what you want.
03rd May, 2011

Tilda Swinton Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange

gourmand ginger that is wearable and not sickly sweet. Unusual enough to be interesting but not so over the top that you are afraid to wear it anywhere you'd like.
26th December, 2010

Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange

A very nice variation on jasmine, the jasmine reminds me of the type found in Thé Pour un Été. The two fragrances are pretty alike and the difference lies in the tea vs tabacco note. I think the L'Artisan is nice during summer days and the Etat libre one would be a nice one to wear when it gets a bit colder or you want your perfume to have a bit more depth.
26th December, 2010

The Smell of Freedom by Gorilla Perfume

The very first blast is of a rather unpleasant generic masculine notes but then it settles down to a more smokey tea scent, it reminds me very strongly of Tea for Two but the jasmine give it a hint of soap. The combination of the bitter notes and the freshness jasmine works rather well. I would say it's a very unisex scent because of it.
05th October, 2010

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

I found the orange note reminded me of organic cleaning products with the combination of the resins. Not a pleasant association for a perfume.
19th September, 2010

Chypre de Coty by Coty

Through the kindness of basenotes I can sample this gem of the past. And it's an entirely different thing. This perfume seems to work on many levels.

For instance it acts very differently if you smell it from a distance or close up. Close up it smells green and bitter, like dark green plans on the ground in winter. I'm assuming this is the oakmoss and it is stunning. Now I know why Bandit is a leather chypre and where the chypre in Bandit comes from. It's this. None of this bright sparkling like champagne nonsense, it's bitter, dark, beautiful, sharp, almost woody at times. I recognize just a little bit of this in Bandit.

From a distance this smells a lot lighter and a more flowery. It's still unlike anything else, you couldn't call it bright. Modern chypre always seem to rely on something to counter the bitterness and sharpness of the base by adding a lot sweeter notes or fruit or a touch of vanilla, basically turning it into another genre.

Chypre seems to rely on the lighter green to lure you in and the closer you get the more bitter the scent becomes.

I think combined with our modern taste of sweet and fruit smells in our shampoo, lotions and potions wearing Chypre is a lot of fun. It will counter the bitterness from a far and just render it out a bit more green and less sharp/harsh. As people get closer they will pick up on the bitterness and it's makes it very mysterious to wear.
20th April, 2010

Notre Flore Jasmin / Jasmine by L'Occitane

Summer Jasmine that doesn't break the bank
02nd March, 2010

Encens & Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange

There is bublblegum but it just doesn't last for very long, on me this had almost no longetivity to speak off. It almost dissapeared after spraying it on but what I smelled was very fun and interesting. You do get this juxaposition between the bubblegum cheerfulness and something that is lurking underneath.
09th December, 2009

Promesse de l'Aube / FK1 by MDCI

This didn't blow me away and left me rather unaffected. It's not vile but it doesn't wow me. It feels mediocre and reminds me when I was young, perfumes when Tresor and Dune were the most popular scents out there. For the price you want to be head over heels and not left feeling ' not bad, but not great either' .
17th November, 2009

Rose de Feu by Les Parfums de Rosine

A very pleasant scent. To me the spices take the lead and are smoothed out by the rose that reminds me a little bit of the rose in eau de elide and Voleur de Roses, a bit of a watery rose. In this perfume though it's not dirty but I thought it was a pretty clean scent but with obvious spices in it, a bit of a kick.

Not offensive and a different fun take on rose and spices. If you are interested in spices but you don't want to rush in this could be a great introduction because there is only a kick to it. To me though the rose was more on background but very agreeable with the firey kick to it.

13th August, 2009

Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine

A very pleasant scent, although it doesn't scream roses to me. For a while I thought it smelled a bit like Zwitsal baby lotion which might be the sandalwood in there. My bf who wore it said it smelled like potpourrie. I liked it because I like sweet and dry scents. A more masculine rose perfume would be Black Aoud or layer Dzing and Voleur de Roses together if you want to give a raw edge to your rose scent.

I'd give it a thumbs up if it wasn't marketted as this dark beast of a perfume.
13th August, 2009