Reviews by Lian

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

Whoa! Forget about subtle and light we have an oriental here. It's almost cute how it tries to come across like less than an elephant in a porcelain cabinet with that powder and amber but the powder is not enough to hide the vavavoom and strength. I still haven't tested Shalimar yet so I can't compare but this has presence, it's sexy and warm, nice touch of spices and sass underneath. This perfume has some kick to it, it's like a sassy lady who manages to be perfectly polite but you know there is some hot passion just underneath the surface and it's on the verge of spilling over. That's what this perfume is to me, all nice but you know the spice is about to break loose and the amber is barely containing it.
10th November, 2008

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

It´s too light and doesn´t last very long I expected something heavy instead of a breeze of fragrance
05th November, 2008

Les Météorites by Guerlain

I got a sample of this from a lovely woman as an extra and this had made it pretty clear to me violet is not a note that makes me go gaga for more. It's light and fresh and just not impressive enough for me to hunt down a bottle, it reminds me vaguely of Champs Elysees because of the fresh and lightness. I havent bought that one either and if Meteorites was easily available I wouldn't buy it either.

Not bad. not great
29th October, 2008

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano

Reminds me of Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company only this has some incense added into it. I admire the art behind it (how do you get something to smell like salty rock).but I think it is not wearable, not wearable for me. I'd say this is unisex at the very least if not out right masculine.
25th October, 2008

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

EdT: Horrible, fresh, prickly floral scent. Smells like a dozen others and makes me sneeze.

EdP: Heaven sent me a pretty red bottle of warm, syrupy, floral goodness. If you like Fracas and Chinatown type of scents ( floral but with a warm sweet quality in there with depth) you should try this. It´s feminine, sexy but not slutty and comforting.
17th October, 2008

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

The lavander in here is a real lavander and not the blast of many lavander scented products that give you a headache after 5 minutes, this is wild lavander the warm kind you smell when you put your nose into a lavander bush; it's dark, it's earthy, it's green and woody. It's an acquired taste though, it's a masculine scent..no doubt about it. But it's not a modern masculine scent that smells like every other lavander based male scent, there are similarities but there is too much going on in Gris Clair to say you can get the same stuff in any drugstore (not in iceland anyway). It's somewhat fresh (read: not aquatic and no Kouros either) but I'm also reminded of leather and ash in Gris Clair.

It's good, but not something that will have instant mass apeal, it's too deep and solid to be picked up I think, too strange and untamed. And not untamed as in a wild animal, but untamed as a purple field filled with heather.
13th October, 2008

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I sampled a lot of rose scents in the past weeks and for me while they were all stunning and nice, I found them to be rather too loud..too much rose and it smelled fake. I needed something that would balance out that loud exclamation of ´happy go lucky one in a dozen rose scents´ because it wouldn´t suit me. Roses for me as meant to be romantic, a little tragic even and crisp. VdR fits that, it´s roses and something else, something that grounds it. I love it.
25th September, 2008 (last edited: 17th October, 2008)

Madison Soirée by Bond No. 9

Smells like a cleaning product I have in the kitchen.
24th September, 2008

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Cloying sweetness, uncooked honey noodle wetness. Unwearable. Made me and my boyfriend think of raw honey, straight from a beehive for some reason. He was repulsed by it, and it is pretty strong especially the first few minutes. Lucky for us it started to rain so he could wash it off his wrist.
13th September, 2008

Louve by Serge Lutens

A sweet and tame almond scent. Easy to wear, not a very mature perfume but it´s not sickly fruity sweet that younger women seem to wear a lot. A very nice comfort scent that you could wear anywhere, it probably sticks close to you so you wont bother anyone with it. I think this is great for rainy days when you want to stay in bed but you have to go to the office and you hope no one will notice you. Wear this and the comfy feeling of home follows you around.
09th September, 2008

Musc Maori 04 by Parfumerie Generale

The blast of chocolate is great but when it fades, and it fades quick, you are left with a very general smelling vanilla gourmande perfume that you can get anywhere for the fraction of the price. The chocolate is wonderful though but it just dissapears almost as soon as you smell it.

L'Eau de Circé 05 by Parfumerie Generale

It tickled my nose for 2-3 hours every time I smelled it. It's very sharp and floral, only much later do you get a hint of something more calm. I knew Circe was a wild girl turning men into pigs and whatnot, but please behave on my skin and leave my nose in peace!

Osmanthus by Keiko Mecheri

I reminds me verr strongly of Datura Noir by Serge Lutens only that one is much stronger and lasts longer. So if you like this one and you want more staying power I suggest giving Datura Noir a go.

Number 3 / Le 3ème Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I told my bf to leave the bedroom because the third man he sprayed on earlier that day was distracting me and I couldn't sleep. I had x rated dreams.

Women can wear this too which is nice but I think it does better on a man, especially if he is next to you. It is fun to wear as a woman though, it made me feel very much in control, naughty and very seductive. It begged for high heels, lipstick a loose tie and some nice styllish pants. If you are wondering what about the top..exactly.

Infini by Caron

This is an old fashioned perfume that lacks any modern touch that would make it wearable for me. It´s nicely done and the oakmoss is lovely but too present and too green to make it wearable for me. It is uncompromising. It also reminds me a lot of my grandmother.
04th September, 2008

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Needs more power. If you want to smell like you just got out of a shower and are retaining some scent from what you used in there this is it. It´s very light and you can barely notice it but it might give you that impression of freshness people seem to like. I need more presence in a perfume personally.
26th August, 2008

Angélique Encens by Creed

So if you are new to the world of perfume and you wonder what incense smells like in this case, imagine walking passed a new age store. That is how it smells like and it is wonderful and calming, but you do smell like an incense store. If you always liked the smell of incense when it is just laying in the room but not when you actually light it, then this is perfect for you.

I´m not sure if I would want to smell like a new age store often enough to buy a bottle but it is a really well done perfume and accomplishes what I think it wanted to do.

Again a very soothing perfume that could be perfect for the right person or activity.
26th August, 2008

L'Ombre dans L'Eau Eau de Toilette by Diptyque

It starts with a very green, very sharp opening, it almost hurts it is that sharp. As you rush to get the supplies to wash it off it mellows a little and the green becomes a nice wet and damp smell and the rose comes out more. It's a very floral perfume with mostly rose that tingles, combined with the wetness and damp greens it smells beautiful but it is a tragic beauty that cries a lot.

Not for me.
10th August, 2008

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes from the site:
banana absolute, violets,seaweed

The site mentions of banana absolute hasn't been used in perfume before, which the basenotes directory search proves wrong immediatly. Sure it might not be an absolute, but I doubt what they are working with can be called an absolute either.

They further on say that the banana is responsible for the fruitbasket smell. I bet it is, but it's a decaying fruitbasket. And not even the typical smell of rotten fruit that is too sweet but still kind of nice. This is pure decayed fruitbasket, as in everything is green and it's not really fruit there but more a whole new ecosystem of bacterie and fungus type of smell, with a hint of rotten fruit.

Adding the violet doesn't help either and I never noticed anything of seaweed. While Lolita Lempicka uses it nicely in a warm gourmand way, and many other perfumes are able to use it in a pleasant but notiuceable way. LadyBoy doesn't.

To be honest, the description doesn't match the scent at all, which irritates even more than if the description matches ( read the descriptions on the site for all perfumes, iin this case you have 7 paragraphs on the fictional character of ladyboy or other people who could wear and only one of them goes into how the perfume *actually* smells). So here is my version of it :

Ladyboy would be more a boy who was changed into a woman in some cheap exotic place and during the surgery on his face his sense of smell was damaged so he never noticed the decaying fruitbasket and maybe some dying mammals in the vicinity.

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes mentioned on the site: Ylang absolute , calanga petals, Mediterranean jasmine, rose absolute, orange flowers, oak moss, sandalwood.

This is heavy on the ylang and it is mixed with something purple, I would say lavaner more thabn jasmine though. Either way the ylang dominates and together with the oak moss it creates something very nice that tries to imitate ' classic' perfumes (aldehydes) and comes across very mature and elegant but it's perfectly wearable. I doubt that many women will enjoy this below age 16 but they could.

People have responded saying I smell of food and spiceyness and I think it is because it evokes the feeling of elegance and comfort without being a real gourmand perfume.

It is something different and very pleasant and very purple.

Two Hearts Beating As One by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes from the description of the website:
jasmine, rose, orange blossom neroli, neroli flowers, ylang, Celery, Vetiver,sandalwood.

The site describes the battle of the rose and the jasmine, and what I get is a cheap floral smell that might be geranium or some other flower that smells rather harsh and green. I can see if you try really hard you might get something of rose and maybe they wanted to go for something like Voleur De Rose from L' Artisan. A more damp and earthy rose scent? If they did they got it so wrong. I don't detect any jasmine either, just this awful smelling geranium note that makes it smell liek cheap floral soap.

This is the type of perfume that makes people want to ban it from places, it's migraine inducing.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens

This is the first of Serge Lutens I have tried and I wasn´t over the moon by it. I immediatly thought it smelled very familiar to me and of something by mother used to wear, which is hypnotic poison. Only the Sl isn´t as headache inducing but smoother and calmer. It is comforting to wear and I love the dry down, but it didn´t last very long on me. I thought the dry down was oddly refreshing and not as heavy and warm as the start which was a nice surprise. In total the scent lasted maybe 5 hours in total with 2 sprays. Not too bad, but I did expect more overall.

I mean let´s face it, you don´t buy Sl to get a milder version of hypnotic poison, it is better done and a nicer fragrance overall than Poison...but that isn´t what I´m looking for.
01st August, 2008

Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Éte by Yves Saint Laurent

Take everything you love about the original Kouros and remove it from your mind, replace it with something aquatic and harsh and if you try very hard you can find something of the original Kouros lingering in the back wondering what this snazzy teenager trying to smell young and fresh is doing while it was suppose to be about masculinity, about attraction, being macho and feeling good about it, about the stickyness of sex, about women wanting to be close to their man for a hug and being there for them. All that is replaced by the insecurity of something younger, that worries about smelling nice and inoffensive instead while seeing a movie with his group of aqua di gio wearing friends.

15th July, 2008

Vanille Coco by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Topnotes are heavy on the coconut and does remind me of tanninglotion that will get you tanned really fast with scary models and a very oily appearance. After it fades away, and it does that quick enough for me, you are left with a creamy vanilla smell that reminded my boyfriend of a vanilla chup a chup lolly, not alltogether unpleasant. To me it smelled like a slighly fresh vanilla with, kinda like a creme brulee with a splash of coconut and lime. You know how some heavy desserts can make you feel heavy and very full, this fragrance is the opposite, it´s warm and still light so you can indulge yourself in it.
05th July, 2008

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

The first one I bought from this house, a good scent to wear if you want something frehs and not overly complicated or very perfumey. I also prefer the CdG Dry Clean one smells more like dry cleaners and less soapy then this one. This is shower soapy fresh and for the amount of money it costs you can keep layer it on whenever you feel it´s needed, the bottle is also small enough to fit in any purse.

I can´t imagine anyone would dislike this smell when they encounter it because it doesn´t smell of perfume.

I would recommend this to anyone, men can finish of a morning routine with this if they want to appear casual and not perfumed but fresh and clean.
For women it´s a fresh, uplifting scent and if you neeeeed flowers I think it will layer well with light simple flower scents.
11th June, 2008

D'Humeur à Rire by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It smells of strawberry creamy candy and I love it because it stays light and airy and sweet, it's nice to find a sweet candy scent not layered with vanilla to give it more depth and whatnot. It smells uncomplicated and sweet perfect for when you don't want to knock people out or make a statement but still have a nice pleasant scent around you that's cool and sweet.

Lann-Ael reminds me of this, they share the soft candy quality.
25th May, 2008 (last edited: 16th May, 2011)

D'Humeur Reveuse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is magic, it doesn't smell like a perfume and that is why you cannot stop smelling yourself if you wear it. It is so against all that is widely available and it doesn't smell like the now becoming more popular Launderette scents either. I have no idea how they captured this smell and that is why it is magic and so different but very pleasant and nice. This won't assault people, nor offend them because it doesn't smell like you are wearing perfume, you would just smell nice.

D'Humeur à Rien by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Overwhelming, strong, head ache inducing heavy spiced incense. This is not a walk in a french cathedral this is stepping into a smokey room and being assaulted by spiced incense. Maybe incense scents are not my thing, but this is powerful, very powerful. Wear with care, it might do very well in the right environment but you couldn't spray this on any old day.

D'Humeur Jalouse by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Masculine scent, it smells of a fresh clean just shaven man who washed with some nice green soap. Very clean scent good for during the day, I can't stop sniffing it on my wrist and it has something of a spicey touch to it too. I'd say it fresh and clean but there is something more going on there than you'd expect on the first glance, something that would make you wonder about whoever is wearing this. But definitly for a man.

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

I love love the smell of amber after visiting Marrakech and I was happy to find a perfume that comes very close to the amber I smelled there. It makes me think of my time there and it's warm, very sexy but not overwhelming like some fragrances can be that have Amber has a basenote and you have to wait till the perfume get's there.

This allows you to go straight to the note you love and it stays, plus the bottle is small so you can buy loads and carry them around with you. Did I mention buying loads?