Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

I suppose I could write a deeply insightful review that analyses the construction of this scent, but I'm not going to. Instead I will tell you all you need to know about Sécrétions Magnifique; It smells of wet dog.

28 February, 2011

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

A perfume that is as fascinating & oddly beautiful as Rossy herself. Any other fragrance house would find creating a perfume for such a strong a distinct woman a daunting prospect, however, Etat Libre d'Orange rise to the challenge magnificently. They succeed in creating a perfume that is perfectly in tune with the actress and her Picassoesque looks.

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection is described as 'a witches rose' and it certainly isn't typical of the Rose perfumes we are used to. The fragrance starts with a sharp, almost sour citrus accord that dominates the top notes. As the citrus subsides the rose starts to shine through, and this is a blood red rose. The heart accord of rose & pepper is spicy and slightly tangy thanks to a generous dose of ginger.

The press material with the fragrances mentions notes of chocolate, strawberry, milk buns & sugar buds however I don't find that these notes come through individually, they appear more as a soft sweetness that prevents the fragrance from become too sharp and astringent.

Rossy asked 'draw me a rose, draw me a woman' and that's what Etat Libre d'Orange did. They drew a beautiful a unique rose and it is definitely one of the best fragrances in the line.

15 November, 2010

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Before I start this review there are two things that I feel I must tell you: Firstly I hate Cedar and I will deliberately avoid any fragrance that list it as a note. Secondly (don't shoot me) I'm not a big fan of Lutens fragrances. It's not that they are bad scents I'm just not wowed by then in the same way as others seem to be.

As you can imagine I approached my sample of Feminite du Bois with a certain amount of trepidation. It turns out that all my worrying was for nothing. Feminite du Bois is a gorgeous, rich and sometimes sharp blend of ripe fruits (plums I think) and woods. The cedar is quite beautiful, it adds a spiceyness that compliments the fruity notes and stops them from being sour.

If Feminite du Bois was a colour it would be Royal Purple, if it were a fabric it would be velvet. If you haven't tried it then you must, I tested the re-release and I'm led to believe that although it has been reformulated the differences are subtle.

Mr. Lutens you have surprised me!

16 March, 2010

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

This is a perfect example of olfactory memory, I wore this for a whole week away when we travelled to Poland for my brothers wedding. I have really pleasant memories of wearing this scent in the hot sun on what was probably the best holiday my family has been on. Guerlain Homme has come under a lot of criticism for being generic and 'un-Guerlain', personally I find these opinions a bit snobby.

Guerlain Homme starts with crisp lime and mint, the opening is fresh and sweet, basically a mouthwatering recreation of an ice cold Mojito. As the scent develops it loses it's freshness and becomes more woody with the Vetiver and Cedar coming through.

Even though this is a Mojito based scent with a nice splash or Rum it doesn't feel overly boozy, it's salty and clear, almost as if it was an alcohol free Mojito (Mojito light anyone?).

Give this a try, it's not a generic, dull aquatic scent, neither is it a classic Guerlain, it's just very good!

10th November, 2009

Mayotte / Mahora by Guerlain

I think this is what you could classify as a 'hot mess'. It's just a little bit too much of everything, too much tuberose, too much vanilla, too much coconut, too bitter etc. When I first tried Mahora I felt like I was trying an 80's cast off, it's big and loud and not necessarily pleasant, that said I do quite enjoy it. The tropical flowers are overpowering but somehow attractive. It's a little hard to think when I would actually wear Mahora (stupid name btw), it's one of those scents you just put a spray or two on to enjoy when no one is looking, definitely a guilty pleasure.

10th November, 2009 (Last Edited: 29 November, 2009)

Samsara by Guerlain

I think a lot of people shy away from Samsara simply because it's so notorious, a plight which seems to affect many 80's fragrances. Personally I love the 80's; the big hair, outrageous clothing, loud fragrance and of course the music! To me, Samsara doesn't feel out of place or dated, it's a gorgeous blend of jasmine, ylang and sandalwood that feels very exotic on the skin. The EDP is much better than the EDT, the Parfum doesn't seem to last long at all and was a big dissapointment! Definitely a classic and suprisingly 'Guerlain' in style.

10th November, 2009

Lola by Marc Jacobs

First things first - the bottle is absolutely gorgeous, I defy anyone not to fall in love with the OTT plastic floral cap. Marc Jacobs has proved he is very adept at choosing/designing kitsch bottles that make you go all gooey eyed and scream 'I want!'

As for the fragrance itself, Lola is described as 'Seductive and Alluring' which is a break from the fresh and youthful theme of Daisy. Lola has notes of Pink Peppercorn, Pear, Rose, Fuschia Peony, Vanilla, Tonka Bean and Creamy Musk.

I would describe Lola as pretty rather than seductive, the top notes open with a blast of pear and grapefruit, the floral notes come through quite quickly and the sillage and longevity are fair.

The dry down is soft and creamy and for me this is the best stage. Lola leaves a nice aura of 'pleasantness' on the skin and this lasts for a few fair hours before fading away completely.

Lola is not adventurous or anything that we have not seen before but that does not take away from the enjoyment at all, sure we've seen billions of fruity florals over the last few years but that doesn't make Lola bad in any sense of the word.

I'm not sure I agree with the description of 'Seductive and Alluring', perhaps 'Flirtatious and Sexy' would be more apt. Lola would suit a man if he was the type of guy who could get away with fruity florals without turning too many heads, I certainly don't feel uncomfortable wearing it.

Will I get a bottle? Probably, not so much for the juice just because I find it incredibly hard to resist that bottle!

30th August, 2009

Love in Black by Creed

I find this very similar to Insolence by Guerlain, it's just a bit richer and darker and the blackcurrent becomes more pronounced in the drydown. It's a nice fragrance but I'll just stick with Insolence.

01st December, 2008

Virgin Island Water by Creed

Tried this for the first time yesterday, it was love at first sniff. On first spray it's a wonderfully refreshing burst of lime, that dries down to a warm coconutty glow. Like others have said, it's coconut without the sun lotion aspect. Very summery, quite light but good longevity. So good I bought a bottle, and that's coming from someone who hates coconut!!

29 April, 2007

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme is my work scent. So different from most mens fragrances. It's very soft and powdery yet projects quite well. I wear it for work because i think it comes across as quite distinguished and smart. It's one of those addictive smells, once it's own i have to keep smelling myself. A winner!

29 April, 2007

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Angel is simply legendary, whether you like 'her' or not, you cannot deny that she is a powerful force within the fragrance industry. I personally love Angel and all her counterparts (Innocent and The Garden of Stars). They're sweet, spicy, sexy, earthy (that'll be that patchouli!) and the boys love it :P

27 March, 2007

Angel Garden Of Stars - Peony Angel by Thierry Mugler

My fave of all the Garden of Stars collection (along side the Rose Angel). It's spicey, sexy and pretty, all the things that Angel should be! Also, i'm surprised that noone has mentioned how beautiful the Garden of Stars bottles are, they really are striking!!

25 March, 2007

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I bought this today, really enjoyed it. To me it's nothing like Le Male, i'm sure they may share the same base but on the whole it's quite a different scent. The first spray is like a big whiff of pollen, which I think some people aren't going to like, the only other thing I really smell is tyres. Very odd, but on the whole a very interesting fragrance.

24 March, 2007

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

My local Thierry Mugler SA gave me a sample of this today, it goes on sale next week. I'm pretty sure that it's the A*Men summer flash just rebranded and given it's own permanent line of products. I did a comparison of the two and really couldn't smell the difference. It's a nice fragrance, a toned down version of A*Men, the 'Iced Coffee' is the most prominent note, it also contains nutmeg. I would possibly buy it, but it's really nothing to get overjoyed about.

Pink Lotus by Aftelier

I believe this fragrance was created for Madonna as a present from Sting and Trudi Styler. I haven't tried it.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

It actually smells like sweaty ass!

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Wow, just wow. This stuff is amazing. Its so refined, yet at the same time it's very youthful and trendy. It's such a shame that it doesn't last longer.

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

Bought this today, very nice fragrance, not Muglers best but it's good for him not to bring out something ground breaking or over the top. It's a very subtle, ambery version of Angel, it does share some similarities with Cool Water for women but it has something darker lurking beneath the surface. There is definitely some Angel swimming about in these shores!

10th March, 2007

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Reminds me very much of Black Orchid, which isn't a bad thing at all.

02 March, 2007

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

Bought this after sniffing it in a department store, i sprayed it on my hand expecting not to like it. I then spent the next hour looking like a complete idiot with my hand glued to my nose, i knew then and there that I had to go back and buy it. It's so sweet and powdery without being cloying, not to heady, just a wonderful fragrance.

26 February, 2007

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

As a massive fan of Mugler i bought this to complete my collection. It's simply just a fruity version of Angel, making it alot easier to wear. I still don't think it is that different to Angel. Still I like it a lot. Thierry Mugler + Dominique Ropion = Good combo!

26 February, 2007

Euphoria Men by Calvin Klein

Booooooooooring! I bought this because i needed something for an interview. God knows why I chose this, it's just so dull and unoriginal. The ladies Euphoria is a dark, sexy and musky fragrance, but the mens is just a boring, citrus mess. Nothing Euphoric about this one.

11th February, 2007

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

As this is Thierry Mugler i had to buy it. Boy was I surprised. This is an amazing scent, fresh, citrusy, clean, mossy, musky and wonderful. It has great sillage, and seems to last a long time. Will be perfect for summer when Muglers other creations would be impossible to wear. I've heard great things about the shower gel too, so i think i'll try that too. Perfect for people who don't like fragrances.

02 February, 2007

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is absolutely vile, it smells like unclean toilets. I really cannot see anything nice about it. I sprayed it on my arm out of curiosity and it wont go away, help!!

27 January, 2007

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Don't let the lumiescent purple juice fool you, this is a BIG white floral with huge sillage. Alien was created in 2005 as a follow up to Mugler's hugely successful Angel. One gets the impression that Alien was created to diversify the brand, to add another perfume to the portfolio and show that Mugler isn't just 'the guy who does Angel'.

Angel and Alien aren't worlds apart, I wouldn't call them sister fragrances or even say that Alien is a variation on the theme of Angel but they do share similarities, the biggest of which is the potency and sillage. Alien is not a quiet fragrance, it projects itself creating 'mystical, supernatural aura' around the wearer. The top note is bright sambac jasmine that at first is slightly reminiscent of something unsettling, possibly a bug spray or chemical which is reminiscent of the unsettling synthetic opening of Angel. On me the top notes take a while to fade and after a few hours Alien settles down to a quiet, powdery vanilla that if left would last for days. Alien is categorised as a woody oriental and I would say this is pretty spot on, the top is very floral but the dry down is all wood and vanilla.

Alien has been on sale for nearly four years now and is available in EDP, Extrait (with a fancy claw applicator) and Sunessence EDT. You can also buy a refillable bottle and use the Alien Source to refill (as with Angel). If you are a fan of Angel or just somebody who likes a good white floral then Alien is definitely worth a try, it's an interesting take on the genre, you just have to be willing to give it the time to get past the unsettling top notes.

26 January, 2007 (Last Edited: 19 June, 2009)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I'm wearin Le Male for the first time in about a year. I wore this fragrance from when i was 16 to when i was 18, it reminds me of lots of great times, summers with my friends before they went off to university, my ex boyfriend and a Madonna concert. It's very sentimental. The scent itself is very strong. The opening is very fresh (mint) and it stays quite fresh for a long time before it settles to a soft vanilla and musk drywown. Le Male lasts for ages, and like others have said needs to be applied sparingly. It's only downside imo is the fact that it's so popular, i like to be quite individual in the fragrances i wear, unfortunately you only need to go to any bar (gay or straight) in the UK and you'll find most of the boys drenched in it. For me, i think i'll wear this one on occasional summer days when i want to reminisce on my teenage years.

26 January, 2007

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I don't think there are words to describe my love for Kingdom. It's romantic in a 16th century English way. It makes me think of gothic castles. Lots of people say that it smells like unwashed lady parts, I have to say that i can't see it. It does have a body smell, but i don't think it is unclean. Kingdom runs along side McQueens couture lines, it's gothic, romantic and beautiful. The bottle is by far the best i've seen in a long while.

26 January, 2007

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with A*Men. I'll tell myself i hate it then try some on me and fall in love with it all over again. But after a few days i can't stand it and want it gone! Personally i prefer B*Men it's a much sexier scent and more consistent. I cannot deny how good a scent A*Men is though, one that provokes such a passionate response can't be bad!

06 January, 2007

Safari by Ralph Lauren

I guess I'm biased towards this one as it was always my mothers 'going out' perfume when i was younger. So i immediately associate it with happyness :) Smells very similar to Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood to me, which is the closest I can get to it seeing as it has been discontinued. Any chance of reissuing it at all Ralph? Hehe!

06 January, 2007

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I stumbled across this today, there was a gift set on sale, so thought i'd investgate alas to say I was pleasently surprised. I'm a big fan of most of Muglers perfumes (Alien, Angel and Cologne mainly) but not so much A*Men. Partly because i don't suit mens fragrances and partly because i find it too sickly sweet. So I tried this for the first time today, it's such a sexy, masculine smell like A*Men but without the sweetness spoiling it. This will be perfect for every day wear at work, or even for romantic wear, it has that sexy animalistc quality, that I think would be very sexy on the right man.

01st January, 2007