Reviews by julybee50

No. 5 by Chanel

My lover was sweet and gorgeous but I was young and foolish and I decided I wanted something more. I abandoned my lover and started on a series of short affairs: Ma Griffe, Je Reviens, L’Air du Temps, and a couple of longer-lasting affairs: Ysatis before (I swear) they changed it, and Rive Gauche, for whom I still have very warm feelings.
But lately I again wanted something new, exciting, different. I embarked on a search but modern lovers are shallow, fickle, changeable, cheap. So I returned to my first love. And as soon as I sprayed it on I relaxed. I had come home. I was loved. I was myself.
I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I’ll never leave you again, dear, darling, No 5.
28th March, 2009

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Toffee. Then more toffee. More toffee. Then - nothing
29th December, 2008

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens

Don't spray this in an enclosed space! You get a huge blast of rose, a hint of green tea, and so much citronella that you could stand on the patio and ward off insects. It does fade eventually and develops a gentler, more soapy feeling with a hint of gents' toilet (pine disinfectant and pee), but still fairly strong and cheap, as if you've been brushing up against the merchandise in Lush.
24th December, 2008

Ysatis by Givenchy

I wear this a lot - it lasts all day on me. Fruity, woody and oriental, it's strong so you don't need a lot. I'm sure it's changed since it first came out though. It used to have a hint of something bitter and green which tantalised by appearing briefly throughout the day. It's softer now.
10th December, 2008

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

A strong but brief floral note with a touch of spray polish and a hint of something like methylated spirits, and finally curry plant. I think not!
08th December, 2008

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I bought this recently because it's supposed to be the best fragrance in the world and I thought at first that I must have bought an online fake. It immediately reminded me of my mother's make-up drawer- stale face powder. I persevered with it for 3 days, then asked my partner to smell it. Straight away he said "old ladies' make-up." I was relieved to find here that other people have had the same experience - I thought there must be something wrong with my nose, though I recently recognised that a friend was wearing it and it smelled of old ladies on her too.
08th December, 2008