Reviews by charger

charger's avatar
    charger

Luna Rossa by Prada

I was pretty excited when I first heard that this was being released. I really like Prada IdH, and I was looking for a similar warm weather scent in Luna Rossa. I almost just bought a bottle out right when I spotted it at Macy's. Thankfully I restrained myself and sampled it a couple of times first.

On first spray, there is a very nice minty orange burst that smelled unique and fresh. That lasted all of about 5 minutes, then this turned to a sweet, baby powder scent. This lacks the clean/soap vibe that I really enjoy in some of the other Prada offerings. The whole middle and dry down is a mess powdery sweetness with that aquatic note found in so many new frags that is almost nauseating to me.

If the top notes were more dominant throughout, this would be pretty nice, also the bottle looks interesting. But try before you buy this one.

20th February, 2013

Aqua Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

After falling in love with Fahrenheit, I started getting into the flankers. Absolute is a great scent, with a little of the original with a smoky herbal vibe. 32, not for me with too much sweet vanilla. Then I tried Aqua a few months ago and liked it, I had been planning to get a bottle before summer. The mild oil/gas note was there, just for a bit. The grapefruit and bitter orange really grabbed me! I thought this would be an amazing summer scent. I scored a sample from Sephora just to make sure that it was for me. I found that the amazing citrus and mild auto garage smell go away rather quickly. The dry down had wisps of grapefruit along with the annoying "aqua" smell that is rampant through modern fragrances. I wanted to love this one, but it just isn't doing it for me. I plan on giving it a couple more tries when the weather warms up though.

14 February, 2013

Royal English Leather by Creed

I was so excited to get a small decant of this because I love leather. Unfortunately this one is not for me. I find it to smell extremely feminine and dated. I don't want to say "old lady" but that is exactly what I am reminded of for several hours. As it dries it becomes a skin scent that smells kind of clean and soapy and isn't too bad, so I give it a neutral. Knize Ten is a much better leather on my skin (and thankfully is less expensive and still available)

10th February, 2013

Eau de Rochas Homme by Rochas

I ordered a sample of this when getting other decants from PC as I was on a quest for fresh and clean summer scents. Right off the bat it reminded me of Swiss Army classic EdT which I like. It's got a nice citrus and soap opening that is just what I was looking for in a hot weather frag. But like most of these types of scents, it was very fleeting. I got maybe an hour until it dried down to be a light skin scent. Still nice, still refreshing but just not long lasting enough to warrant a full purchase.

28 January, 2013

Open by Roger & Gallet

As has been noted, it has some similarities with Quorum. I also find notes similar to Aramis and some Rive Gauche in the dry down.

First I think this is an amazing value (as is Quorum) and also seem to fly under the radar. Going trigger happy could get you into trouble, but a couple sprays under the shirt leave you with a perfect scent.

This leans more to the above 30 crowd for sure. It portrays a masculine confidence up front, with a clean dry down.

Overall I get vetiver, earthy pepper, woods, some leather, maybe even a hint of tobacco, oak moss, soap. All are blended nicely and play great great on my skin.

28 January, 2013

Photo by Lagerfeld

I enjoyed Photo back in the 90's and have been on the lookout for a deal on it, when bam, it pops up on clearance at TJ Maxx!

This has the vibe of a lot of the 90's colognes where big powerhouses from the 80's were mingling with fresh and aquatic scents.

The citrus opening blends nicely with the lavender and sandalwood making for a bright, somewhat clean but not soapy scent. As it dries I notice a little more spice. It sits close to the skin after a couple of hours, but nice reminders will waft up and let me know it's still there.

Great office scent, especially in warmer weather. A great one to just spray on and say yup, I smell good!

22 January, 2013

Déclaration Cologne by Cartier

Dry orange and lemon zest, pepper, ginger, rooty vetiver with some cedar in the dry down. This is a great warm weather scent. It is like a slightly lighter, more citrus version of the original. Again, very reminiscent of Terre D'Hermes, but with more citrus zest and without the earthy dry down.

21st January, 2013

Relax by Davidoff

I have recently come to the conclusion that classic barbershop scents are my favorites, so have been sampling different ones that fall into that line.

Relax takes the masculine old school barbershop to a richer, maybe more refined level. The big mint opening is awesome. Spices and not overly sweet vanilla kick in quickly as well. The whole vibe really reminds me of a thick lathered shave cream (In the same way that RGPH smells similar to Barbasol)

As it dries the vanilla kicks in a bit more, but thankfully the spices, mint and herbs keep it from getting too sweet. I am not a big vanilla fan, but somehow it just works here. Pillowy clouds of shave cream and a bracing aftershave splash are what I keep imagining here.

This one seems to last and last too! I can't stand frags that just creep away after an hour. This one keeps the fresh shaved feel going and going!

18 January, 2013

Havana by Aramis

I remember trying this back in the mid 90's because I loved most everything from Aramis. I didn't buy a bottle then, but I just recently purchased a mini and am enjoying it quite a bit.

All of the notes listed are overwhelming, but to me the scent is much simpler than that. There is a nice warm cinnamon and spice opening with some booze/bay rum as well. It is heady yet comforting which is really nice on a brisk January morning.

As it goes along, the booze subsides into spice, woods, smoky vanilla, maybe hints of leather and a bit of pepper. The cinnamon stick also seems to last which I like. This would be a big hit at a Christmas or New Years Eve party. It definitely has a winter vibe, but I bet it would be just as great on a warm summer evening where the booze and bay rum would give it a tropical feel.

I see a full bottle purchase in my future!

08 January, 2013

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Up until now I had only sampled Egoiste Platinum which I don't like. But I finally tried the original and was blown away. The opening has spicy pepper, a bit of bitter orange and a really nice spicy ginger. Wow this stuff is amazing! The dry down keeps the spices going and adds a bit of smoky vanilla. Now I understand the rave reviews, I am really enjoying this scent. Reminds me of a cozy Christmas Eve.

08 January, 2013

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

Timeless masculine scent. Smells almost identical to original Aramis which I love. Splash it on and feel like a dapper gentleman!

29 December, 2012

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

My wife received a few samples of this and I really like it on her. Most of the frags that she likes have that same overly sweet smell like the ones marketed to teenagers. This one is much more grown up, but not old. The citrus opening is really sparkly, while the patchouli and vetiver really give it a classy vibe as it dries. I may have to get her a bottle for Valentines Day!

28 December, 2012

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

This is a frag that starts with the smells of Christmas! It's got some light cinnamon and nutmeg like pumpkin pie spice to it (maybe even fresh baked cookies?), with loads of vanilla. It quickly turns into a big vanilla bomb. I don't know what it is with so many frags drying down into this sweet vanilla goo, but I don't care for it.

I like the spicy, festive opening for sure. The dry down might as well be Vanilla Fields, mixed with cool whip and a pint of vanilla bean ice cream.

27 December, 2012

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

I am a big fan of pepper notes (Have two bottles of Bang!) This one balances it nicely with the lavender and some herbs and citrus. In all the holiday shopping I would stop in and try this on when passing the L'Occitane store and I enjoyed it each time. The only thing that stopped me from buying a bottle was the dry down seems to be mostly a very light lavender but mainly vanilla scent. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla, but if the top and mid notes lasted longer, I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I still will probably end up getting it because the price is very reasonable.

27 December, 2012

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I'm so glad I got a sample of this before blind buying it, definitely not for me. This smells like a perfume my mom used to wear like Wind Song or something along those lines. I was looking for a soapy, clean smell and this is far too feminine and perfumy for my taste. It smells good on its own i suppose, and I know it is meant as unisex, so I give it a neutral.

25 December, 2012

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

The opening bears just a slight resemblance to the original, but it quickly morphs into a whole new beast. The gasoline is replaced with a smoky vanilla. I normally am turned off by vanilla in frags, but this one is dark and mysterious. This smells amazing, a really great cool weather scent with some attitude.

After receiving it for Christmas, I have been enjoying it all day. Doesn't seem to last as long as original Fahrenheit, a few more sprays should fix that.

25 December, 2012

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

Hmm, this is a unique one. I did a blind buy based on reviews. I dig the bottle, all black and mysterious. Looks like an old school power house just based on the attitude the bottle gives off.

First spray... oh no... why did I buy this?! Smells like Aqua Net hairspray right out of the can. Blast of rubbing alcohol and chemicals. Thankfully this goes away quickly or i would have had to get the scrub brush and fire hose ready.

I am not sure how to describe the notes. I get a little bit of the opening roar of Quorum, but not so loud. I get a bit of lemon zest, maybe even a little sour grapefruit. I definitely note some pepper and some other indeterminate spices. Grass, trees, roots, dust and musk come through and seem to stay the longest.

This reminds me of the outdoors. It's a scent of mountains, forests and deserts all together. You need a steady trigger finger for this one, don't flinch and over spray. Two shots to the chest are perfect, three may result in problems. It's bold, brash and fun. At the price it can be had for, this one surely can fit in any collection.

21st December, 2012

Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels

This gets a thumbs up because it has a really nice bottle, and the fragrance itself is very warm and nice. But on me, this is is too much vanilla. I really don't get any of the other notes except there is a smoky vanilla in the opening which I really like.

I get the comparisons to BB, but I find that a little more interesting and more masculine with the rubber top note. MiP is still a very nice scent, and smells rather warm and cozy on this chilly December day. (This review is for the EdT)

14 December, 2012

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Irish Spring with attitude! This is a wonderfully simple scent, that leaves me feeling clean and refreshed for hours. I get the Quorum comparisons, but it is a much cleaner scent than that, it is also slightly sweeter but without being cloying. Sure it smells a bit synthetic, but if you go easy on the sprays, you will be rewarded with a great scent that also seems to get compliments. This will be in heavy rotation, especially in warm weather. Best $7 that I have spent!

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This was a blind buy based on BN feedback, and I couldn't be happier. Old school powerhouse for sure. This is a masculine and confident scent. Smells like an earthier, muskier version of Aramis Tuscany. Loads of projection and longevity, at a great price.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Wow, I feel like an idiot for waiting so long to try this. I love the box, I LOVE the tin can and on first spray, I love this stuff. I guess I hesitant because it was a blind buy, and also the fact that there has been negativity over the updated version.

I was blown away as soon as I sprayed some on my arm. The anise, clove and mild citrus top note just grabbed hold to my nostrils and would not let go. The Barbasol comparisons are dead on, but are much fuller and brighter smelling than mere shave foam.

The scent stays relatively linear and lasted a solid 6 hours on me with just one small spray. I can genuinely say that I am bowled over by this one, and it really lives up to the hype. I also plan on getting a second can just in case they go with the new formula and bottle. I will never be without this wonderful juice in my life ever again!

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

4711 is probably the earliest scent that I ever used. I remember my dad always having this around, and I would mimic him splashing it on. Childhood memories aside, this is still an excellent scent that can be had at any drugstore for just a few dollars.

The opening citrus is bracing and almost as much of an eye opening as the morning cup of coffee. I mainly only get the citrus though more complex, I know I detect some floral and maybe a tiny bit of green woods. This is the epitome of a summer scent. It doesn't last more than an hour on me at most, but it does leave a clean and soapy drydown that I like. I leave a small bottle in my desk at work for afternoon pick me ups.

05 December, 2012

Vince Camuto for Men by Vince Camuto

I am neutral on this not because it doesn't smell good, but because it smells like plenty of things that have been out for a long time.

Right on the first spray I get a blast form the past, Drakkar Noir which quickly settles into something smelling almost exactly like Cool Water. I sprayed it on an hour ago though, and can only just barely smell it now.

Even though this smells common, it also smells good, and would be a very safe office frag. But on me, it's disappears very quickly, and there are plenty of less expensive and longer lasting choices in the same vein.

05 December, 2012

Bang by Marc Jacobs

This is just the one I have been looking for. I love the pepper notes in several colognes out there, so when I read the notes on this one, I knew that I had to get it.

I love the initial pepper blast, which settles down just a bit and blends nicely with the vetiver and woods. I am still experimenting with how much to use. Two sprays just doesn't seem to last long enough, but I don't want to overdo this one. Three may be the magic number.

Even though it has settled close to my skin, I will get a nice spicy pepper whiff now and then that just makes me smile. Maybe a little one dimensional, but it's a dimension that I love!

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Top notes of sweet, spiced rum, pepper and smooth incense. What this settles into smells exactly like spiced rum and Dr. Pepper. It even has the sweet and fizzy pop of a can of Dr. Pepper being opened. I know you are asking yourself why you would want to smell like soda, but it is quite nice.

As it dries down I still get the rummy soda, with a hint of leather and pepper that just plain smells great. This has the notes that I like in a winter scent, but it is mild enough to wear year round I think. Also it can be picked up quite cheaply, so ther eis no excuse not to have this on hand.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

This is a great one if you want to smell like cotton candy. I am not meaning that in a bad way, but it just isn't for me. I don't find any complexity in it, just sugary with a powder vanilla dry down.

Knize Ten by Knize

I have been wanting to the fabled Knize Ten for years, and finally got some samples of it. I can see why this has been around so long, and still gets (mostly) the praise that it gets.

The strange thing is, I don't really get any of the notes that are supposed to be in it. On me it starts off with a really nice, soapy clean barbershop note. That seems to last for a while which is nice, but the dry down comes awfully quick where I can just get hints of light leather and woods. Then after about two hours, it is all but a whisper of scent.

I was hoping for a leather powerhouse (but to be fair I have been sampling Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Royal English Leather which are full blast) but I am still enjoying the subtleties of Knize Ten.

30th November, 2012

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

Seeing the fragrance notes on this one I was up for the challenge of trying to pick out the individual scents. Unfortunately the actual frag is far less mysterious, but it still smells good.

Opening is full of big vanilla bean, coffee, chocolate, spice. I can also pick out some ginger, patchouli, and maybe a bit of cinnamon. I can't detect any of the citrus notes at all.

All in all it is a nice scent, which seems comforting on a chilly day. It stays very close to my skin though and doesn't last more than a couple of hours. But I do get compliments at the office form it.

29 November, 2012

Dirty by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Minty, herbal and fresh. That's the best way to describe this. To me the mint and herbs last a few hours, then the dry down has a clean and soapy scent that lingers right at the skin. i wish the spearmint would last longer as it really smells unique and also invigorating.

This will make a nice hot weather frag for sure, and the price is very reasonable.

28 November, 2012

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I don't know what took me so long to actually try Fahrenheit, for some reason I was under the impression that I didn't like it but man was I wrong!

This is a masculine, intoxicating scent. Starts off with a gasoline/oil that smells a lot better than it sounds. There is also an apple or berry note in the top that keeps the gasoline from bursting into flames. There is also a subtle smoky leather in the middle and dry down that really pulls the whole thing together.

Here is the visual I get with Fahrenheit:

An antique auto shop brimming with old classics from Rolls Royce to muscle cars. In the corner of the shop a fireplace is roaring, men dressed in flannel shirts with the sleeves rolled up are smoking cherry pipe tobacco, while relaxing on buttery soft leather chairs, aged with patina and character.

This has become my cold weather scent of choice.

27 November, 2012