Reviews by charger

Carbone / Carbone de Balmain by Pierre Balmain

I received a sample of this when ordering some other scents. I hadn't heard of it but I was pleasantly surprised. Opening of pepper and spice, and also a small amount of leather gives this a very masculine scent. As it dries it stays very close to the skin, and I wish it would broadcast louder for longer. But I really enjoy it and will be picking up a bottle soon.
22nd November, 2012

Kiton Black by Kiton

Great berry/citrus burst in the opening really was a pleasant surprise. The berry note lasts as is goes into a woody (mainly cedar) note with just a bit of underlying leather. Unfortunately this amazing scent does not last long at all on my skin. every so often I will get a very feint reminder of it, but it leaves me wanting more.

Update:

I found the solution to my longevity issue, more sprays! Today I went with three sprays to the chest, and one to the neck. That was 6 hours ago and I am still getting great projection from this now. I am even fighting a cold and am stuffed up a bit, but I have been able to catch this awesome scent for over half the day now.

I also get the references to Fahrenheit. I get the same berry/violet top note minus the gasoline of Fahrenheit. This is much smoother and more well behaved.
20th November, 2012 (last edited: 19th December, 2012)

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I was not quite sure what to expect with this one, especially after reading what oud or agar wood actually is. Hmm, the response from the tree producing more resin to fight off a fungus? Sounds like it will smell fantastic!

Really though this is a very masculine, moody, dark scent. Unisex? I don't think so, but I am sure there are some confident ladies who could pull it off nicely.

The first scents I get are woods, spice, incense, vetiver. I also pick up some smoky earth as well. There is a slightly plastic or astringent smell at first as well. It's not offensive but smells a little odd, but it quickly goes away and settles into a really nice scent.

I will have to stick to the little decant I got for now, but I'd love to grab a bottle of this down the road.

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I so wanted to love this, but I am not a big vanilla fan. Sure, I know it's right there in the name and all, but I was hoping for more tobacco and less vanille!

The top notes are nice with a green tobacco leaf, spice, amber and vanilla. But after about half an hour I don't smell anything but powdery vanilla. If you love vanilla, this is your scent!

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

I got a few small decants of the Ford reserve scents, and I must say that I do mostly enjoy Tuscan Leather. I am reminded of a grand hunting lodge with the fireplace roaring, buttery leather chairs, and cigars and pipes glowing.

I do get a bit of the dirty ashtray that has been mentioned, but I am an occasional smoker so it doesn't seem to stand out too much for me. But this is strictly a cool weather scent, this would be way too overpowering on a hot day.

Also, a little goes a long way. A quick spray to the chest is all that is needed.

Tabac Original by Mäurer & Wirtz

I picked this up on a blind buy because of all the great reviews it has gotten. I wish I would have tried this sooner, what a great scent! The opening is a big citrus, pepper and spice that is almost overwhelming. But it quickly relaxes into a subdued spicy tobacco that I really enjoy. What a great scent at an amazing value.
16th November, 2012

Déclaration by Cartier

To me this smells almost exactly like Td'H, with a little more woodsy notes. I really like it, but I already own Td'H so I don't need another just like it. But I will pick this up when I run out.
13th November, 2012

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

I got a sample for this and got about three wearings out of it. Starts with a pine sol citrus and green scent with an astringent, alcohol nostril burn. Thankfully that calms down quickly leaving a citrus, aquatic and woody aroma for a small amount of time. Then that quickly settles into a pure cedar on my skin for the next couple of hours. Not bad, but I already have cedar scents so it's not necessary for me to get another. But it's a semi fresh scent that is nice for warm days at the office.
13th November, 2012

Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

This is another one that I am on the fence between a neutral and positive review. I think the main reason is in the name and the bottle design. As others have said, I was expecting a spice assault. What you get is much more tame, which is still nice, but I wanted a bit more.

I have received compliments on the cinnamon and "Christmas spice" smell. i like the top notes, and they stick around nicely. The dry down goes into that vanilla candle smell that I don't care for, but it is very faint so I can deal with that.

Overall this is a nice scent that stirs up memories of apple cider by the fire place, so this is a great season to wear it. I haven't pulled the trigger on a full bottle yet, but I am on my third sample of it. I like it enough that I am hoping my wife will just get it for me for Christmas :)
07th November, 2012

Tabac Aurea by Sonoma Scent Studio

Firstly my rating leans more toward positive than neutral, but I think I'm just not quite sure about this one yet.

When the package arrived I was very pleased with the size of the sample. I can easily get a few weeks worth of wears out of this, and that's good because I will need more time to form my opinion on it.

I was looking more for the cigar smoke/leather/bourbon type of tobacco so I was a bit thrown by this. The scent is more leafy green, with some woods and a powder vanilla dry down. (The vanilla is really the part I am most on the fence about) But I really like the top and mid notes, I wish I could pick out the leather a little more though.

As the days here in Southern California have still been in the high 80's to 90's in the first week of November, I am looking forward to some cool and cloudy weather where this scent will fit better as well.
07th November, 2012

Canali Men by Canali

I really like the different scents in this one. The citrus top notes give a refreshing burst when first sprayed on. The vetiver and leather really come through for a really nice, masculin scent.
17th April, 2009

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Strats out a little loud and cloying, but after about half an hour it is pleasant. It borders on being too feminine smelling for me as well.
15th April, 2009

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

It took several wearings to really appreciate this one and I've grown to love it. When first applied, there is a baby powder note which I don't like but it fades quickly. It settles into soap, fresh laundry, etc that just smells clean and fresh. Nothing daring here but just a nice clean frag.
13th April, 2009 (last edited: 22nd April, 2009)

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Opened with a lemon cleaner type note that I was unsure about, but that didn't last too long. It settled into a very nice citrus and slightly woodsy scent unlike any I've sampled. This turned out nice and I will grab a bottle next time I see it.
18th February, 2009

Corduroy by Zirh

This has a sort of creamy cinnamon scent that I really like. It's got a very smooth spiced, woody and light citrus thing going on. So far it's been great on chilly, rainy days. But it's light enough that it should work in any weather.
17th February, 2009

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This scent is crisp, clean and sophisticated. perfect for summer office wear. But as it's been said, it's sort of weak and doesn't last long on me. I do still enjoy it though, it jsut stays very close to the skin.
17th February, 2009

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I was really impressed with how this smelled on the spray card so I got a sample of it. It starts out great, kind of sweet, a little smoky citrus, and dusty dry woods. It starts very masculin. But I didn't like the dry down on my skin. It started to smell like baby powder. If the top notes lasted longer, I think this would be worth it.
30th January, 2009

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Picked up a bottle really cheap on a blind buy, and I'm glad I did. This is definitely an 80's manly mans powerhouse! Huge woodsy, leathery, soapy, grassy scents in there. A little goes a long way. Over spray on this could result in a riot of sillage.
29th January, 2009

Pi Neo by Givenchy

Starts off with some lemon/orange zest, and I was happy to not smell all the sickly sweet vanilla of the original. As it drys it pretty much left a dry cedar scent on me which I like, but I already have other cedar frags I like better.

Vetiver Sport by Guerlain

Smells exactly how it sounds. it's a lighter, sportier version of Vetiver. it's not as peppery or woodsy and doesn't last as long though. But the soapy clean scent is nice. this is great for a quick spray before working out on a hot day.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

After first trying a sample of this, I knew it was for me. From the bursting peppered orange opening to the vetiver, black pepper, woody dry down. I love it. It smells both fresh and mysterious, refreshing yet brooding.

Pi by Givenchy

This smells good for what it is, it's just too feminine and sweet for my taste. Vanilla, burnt cotton candy, cake frosting are all what come to mind. Not much else to it.

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

Ah Eternity. I remember when it came out, I was in high school and everyone wore it, including me. I've sampled it again recently and while it still smells good, it's nothing special. I can't really pick apart the different notes going on. It smells like... well, cologne. I think I smell a little citrus, maybe a bit of vetiver, and some sandalwood.

Zirh Ikon by Zirh

First spray, spice, some pine and cinnimon! Loved it. It really reminds me of sitting by the fireplace on Christmas eve. It's a very warm and comforting scent, and like others I picked up and excellent bargain on a half priced gift set. This is great stuff, it's not too long lasting though.
27th January, 2009

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This is a great scent. Starts with sweet vanilla, spices, fruit and I smell some other foody type aromas too. Once it starts to dry down, the food aromas calm down and give way to a woody, leather scent with just enough vanilla to balance it. This one begs to be worn on a night out, but I'm really enjoying it at work too.
27th January, 2009 (last edited: 29th January, 2009)

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

To my nose this is not good, not good at all. Smells like a cat peed on cotton candy. This definitely is a love it or hate it cologne. I hate it.
27th January, 2009

Vetiver by Guerlain

Clean, fresh, citrusy, this will always be a favorite. I love the soapy (in a good way) fresh out of a shower feeling.
18th January, 2009

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

First spray is a huge sweet citrus blast, maybe a little spice but smells almost feminine. Luckily, after about 15 minutes it settles into a more generic mens citrus frag. It's a nice warm weather scent, but can get a bit cloying if over applied.
15th January, 2009

Illicit by Billy Jealousy

The clean, fresh laundry but not soapy scent really got me. It's refreshing, mood elevating goodness. Sampled at Nordstrom, and I can't get it out of my head. I need to sample again to make sure, but this seems like a for sure thing I need to get.
13th January, 2009

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Black No. 1581 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

This scent smells almost exactly like Vaevatos Vintage. The vanilla is dominant in the dry down which I don't love as much, but overall this is nice scent. I also picked it up on clearance which makes it even better.
12th January, 2009